The Mars Volta

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Can we get some love for this band?

One of the more bizaare bands I can think of. They create really psychedelic, crazy, music that isnt designed for the radio or for ituners who want to download the 2nd song off whatever album.

making an album thats 76 minutes long and only 5 tracks, basiclaly guarantees you wont be on MTV or on the radio, especially seeing as they often mix in other influences, and even Spanish and Latin influences which makes their music hard to categorize.

I see them as innovators, who are willing to make music, that isnt understood by modern society and the music buying public, but is awesome nonetheless.

I think Zack De La Rocha summed it up when he said, "Some bands are into making hits, The Mars Volta is into making moments".

I find it incredibly inspiring when art is created that doesnt follow trends and isnt about selling units or selling complete crap.

The Mars Volta is all about making art, and if most people dont get it, I think they personally could care less.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I have loved this band since I first hear the single Inertiatic ESP a few years ago. Seen them live twice and was blown away both times.

I still need to see them again though. They really are brilliant.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • They are one of my favourites bands. Their music is incredible, they fly so high...I can´t wait to see them live in Argentina!!! I know they came here in 2004, but I didn´t know who they were then...
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    i seen them live and they were really bad. Never actually listened to a studio album tho.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    RockMan wrote:
    i seen them live and they were really bad. Never actually listened to a studio album tho.

Wow. I count them as one of my top five live bands. I am seeing them for the second time next week. 9 songs that lasted over two hours. I was completely captivated and had a hard time figuring out who to watch. Jon Theodore is far and away the best drummer I have ever seen live. No one else is even in the same ballpark. Omar is a phenomenal guitar player. And Cedric is incredible too. Honestly, I think it is the most impressive group of musicians since Led Zeppelin.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • bassmac2bassmac2 Posts: 12
    Great Band! The music is just so intense...they are AWESOME!!
    Given To Fly
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    For me, all of their studio albums are spun on a regular basis, though I think De-Loused is the best. Amputechture is good, so is Frances the Mute but Frances has too much ambiguous noise. Cassandra Gemini is their best song if you have time to listen to all 32 minutes of it. I love them live though, I've seen them three times (once opening for System of a Down and twice opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers). Gotta agree with the guy who gave props to Jon Theodore, he's a fantastic drummer. Can't wait to see them again, hopefully it's a full length show!
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    I discovered them when Francis the Mute came out, what 2 years ago? I saw them live only like 2 weeks after hearing the album, and I was absolutely blown away. I went out and bought the first album, which I thought was even better. However, I couldn't get into the recent album, and I heard the drummer left, which is extremely disappointing. He's one of the best drummers I've ever seen, and I almost don't have the desire to see them live again. Has anyone seen them this tour?
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    MKTerp wrote:
    I discovered them when Francis the Mute came out, what 2 years ago? I saw them live only like 2 weeks after hearing the album, and I was absolutely blown away. I went out and bought the first album, which I thought was even better. However, I couldn't get into the recent album, and I heard the drummer left, which is extremely disappointing. He's one of the best drummers I've ever seen, and I almost don't have the desire to see them live again. Has anyone seen them this tour?

Damn. Where have I been? I had no clue Theodore left the band. That really fucking blows.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    Jon Theodore may have left but they have quite a replacement for him. Thomas Pridgen. Everyone seems to be getting pretty excited about his talents. The Mars Volta are by far and away my other favorite band alongside PJ.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    The new drummer is still really solid. He was their original drummer before Jon Theodore I believe.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    Ok, that's good to hear...
    gleemonex wrote:
    The new drummer is still really solid. He was their original drummer before Jon Theodore I believe.

They're actually on HIS replacement now. That was Blake Fleming.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    They are actually on their 3rd drummer since Jon. One guy was their old drummer, the 2nd guy was just a fill in, and now this young kid, well just go see them live...then you'll see what he's all about.

Here's a taste of the new guy...I love Jon, and this guy is just as good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cnhaPgZ04

Just save me a ticket for the Toronto show (assuming they're coming this way soon).
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i love the band.

I have seen them 3 times and loved it each time.

They really need to tour by themselves though. Twice i have had to see them as opening bands (RHCP & SOAD both times i went for them not the headliner). It was cool seeing them but man when i saw them on their own tour in a smaller venue it was UNREAL!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    saw them open for the chili peppers back in october and although they were being booed, i was cheerin them on from the front row (no one went near them past the eigth row)!!! some people just dont respect an alternative to alternative music (?). lol.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    THE BEDLAM IN GOLIATH... coming this fall
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    They are incredible!!!!
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    Deadman wrote:

I can't believe they're already putting out another album! I'm psyched already! Thanks for the info!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • darthdarth Houston, TX Posts: 139
    Awesome awesome band. i've seen em 3 times and blown away every time!
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14
  • Deadman wrote:

Didn´t know this!!! Thanks!!!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    darth wrote:
    Awesome awesome band. i've seen em 3 times and blown away every time!

yeah ive seen them 3 times as well.
    the first time was in 2004 on the strength of me digging deloused. i thought WTF!!
    the second time was in 2006 basically cause i was still digging them and i wasnt gonna allow them to get away with me disliking them live. i was fully prepared and knew i was hooked.
    the third time was the following night after the 2nd time. it was in an old theatre and i sat there with my head resting on the seat in front of me and just let the sound wash over me. it was brilliant. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i only have their first album and think it's one of the best albums,musically..i really dislike his signing style, tho...that rush sound....they opened for system of a down and played straight thru their entire set w/o breaks, flawless
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Wow, I am delighted to hear they are releaseing a new album soon. I really love the forst album and the latest. I couldn't get into frances the mute that much.

Deloused is amazinf from start to finish. It it so jawdropping. Once that album clicks with you, you are lost!
  • GiventoFallGiventoFall Posts: 217
    love the mars volta but when i saw them in philie opening for the chili peppers the sound was so bad me and my friends had to walk out. wasnt there thought they were playing their asses off but it just didnt mix well and you couldnt really hear what was going on. the horns and vocals were so high pitched i thought my ears were gonna bleed.
    Get over here!
  • I can´t wait to see this band on stage...Maybe with their next cd, they´ll do a world tour...hope so!!!
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Can’t wait to figure out what this means!!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Hell yes, Part 1