The best band in the last 15 years is.....

robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
edited August 2007 in Other Music
The Hold Steady

Hands down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    wilco.
    rock chalk
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Uhhhh pearl jam?
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    International Sex Park.
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    itsevobaby wrote:
    Uhhhh pearl jam?
    PJ is more that 15 years old.
    robfest2 wrote:
    PJ is more that 15 years old.
    you could've said the last 1000 years or the last 2.....i still would've said pj ;)

i like the hold steady though, their last album was great fun :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Michael Franti and SPEARHEAD.....started in 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WASrQFg8o

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

itsevobaby wrote:
    you could've said the last 1000 years or the last 2.....i still would've said pj

i like the hold steady though, their last album was great fun :)
    I don't think you understand what "in the last 15 years" means.

PJ is not included cause they came out more than 15 year ago.
    robfest2 wrote:

oh no, i understand....
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    itsevobaby wrote:
    oh no, i understand....
    ok so your just a maroon
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    fountains of wayne
    robfest2 wrote:
    ok so your just a maroon
    haha yeah that's it, a "maroon" haha
    :D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    Michael Franti and SPEARHEAD.....started in 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WASrQFg8o

A band for the ages in the name of PEACE

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    A band for the ages in the name of PEACE

Peace

We... We heard you the first time.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    We... We heard you the first time.

Thanks sphincter police, I could post it again

Peace

• Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75
    robfest2 wrote:

They have been the best band for the last 15 years (and more), so they should be included. If you said "The best band to form in the last 15 years is The Hold Steady," then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Dr. J wrote:
    They have been the best band for the last 15 years (and more), so they should be included. If you said "The best band to form in the last 15 years is The Hold Steady," then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    forget it
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    You know, I listened to Hold Steady, and they didn't do it for me. As, in my humble opinion, Arcade Fire has released two of the best albums of the last seven years, I'd say they've earned the honor. The Shins are close behind with three absolutely amazing albums of their own.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    Honorable Mention:

Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals new album to be released August 28th. It's called LIFELINE and you can hear and see the video single "IN THE COLORS".

Peace

• g under p wrote:
    Thanks sphincter police, I could post it again

Peace

Attention, g under p: take nothing I say too seriously.:D

Except this post.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I don't think any of the bands mentioned compare to Tool yet, whose first album makes the 15-year cut I think. I haven't seen another band with the potential to match a studio album like Aenima, Lateralus, or even 10,000 Days. I'm sure this band is out there, but I just don't know them yet.
  • Oh, and just so I have some constructive contribution to this thread...

Sleater-Kinney. Who are broken up now.:(

Or! My Morning Jacket.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Saturnal wrote:
    I don't think any of the bands mentioned compare to Tool yet, whose first album makes the 15-year cut I think. I haven't seen another band with the potential to match a studio album like Aenima, Lateralus, or even 10,000 Days. I'm sure this band is out there, but I just don't know them yet.

You know, I own all of those albums, and the thing about Tool is that they haven't grown at all. It's the same album and the same song over and over. I don't think they qualify for this distinction because of that.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • mookie dmookie d Posts: 43
    hold steady is a pretty good choice. what about...

pavement
    sleater-kinney
    the white stripes
    modest mouse
    flaming lips
    wilco
    radiohead
    my love for you is ticking clock BERZERKER! would you like some making fuck BERZERKER?!

why will you take by force what you may have quietly by love? - Powhatan
    mookie d wrote:
    modest mouse
    wilco
    radiohead
    much more likely than the freakin hold steady....one thinks radiohead would be the 'critical' choice :rolleyes:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I was always partial to Rush

and shut the F up if you are gonna rag on them!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • boroff89 wrote:
    You know, I own all of those albums, and the thing about Tool is that they haven't grown at all. It's the same album and the same song over and over. I don't think they qualify for this distinction because of that.
    Wow, can't say I've heard someone say that before. I dunno, to me there's a huge jump between Undertow and Aenima, and then subsequent smaller jumps from then on. To me, there is nothing on Opiate that sounds even remotely like anything on 10,000 Days.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Clutch. Best band since Pearl Jam.
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    I like Tool and Chevelle better than all these bands that have been mentioned. I am bad to rock...
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Pavement
    Tool

but I think I'll give it to Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Wilco, The White Stripes, The Strokes...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08