Options

Pearl Jam is the top streaming concert artist of the pandemic, according to Bandsintown survey

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2021/3/30/pearl-jam-is-the-top-streaming-concert-artist-of-the-pandemi.html

Brian Rasic/WireImage

Pearl Jam has been the top artist of the last year when it comes to streaming concerts, according to a Bandsintown survey.

The live music discovery and recommendation platform used its data of "fan RSVPs to livestreams and archival concert performances" to determine which acts people have been tuning in to watch the most since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020. According to that metric, the number-one spot belongs to Eddie Vedder and company.

Metallica was second on the ranking, followed by Billie Eilish. Other artists who made the top 20 include Tedeschi Trucks Band, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Lumineers, The Rolling Stones, Five Finger Death Punch and Death Cab for Cutie.

Bandsintown also surveyed 7,688 fans and artists, and found that 86 percent of fans have watched a concert livestream over the past year, while 85 percent of artists plan to make streaming a "permanent part of their performing plans," even after the return of in-person shows.

It looks as though streaming Pearl Jam shows will be the only way to watch the band perform for some time, as the grunge icons just postponed their summer 2021 European tour to 2022. To help soften the blow of that news, Pearl Jam will be streaming their 2010 Hard Rock Calling Festival set in London for free starting April 2 via Nugs.net.

Here's Bandsintown's list of the top 20 concert streaming artists of the past year:

1. Pearl Jam
2. Metallica
3. Billie Eilish
4. Snow Patrol
5. Tedeschi Trucks Band
6. Elton John
7. Bruce Springsteen
8. Dave Matthews Band
9. Radiohead
10. Coldplay
11. The Lumineers
12. The Rolling Stones
13. Taylor Swift
14. Five Finger Death Punch
15. Dropkick Murphys
16. Death Cab for Cutie
17. Lady Gaga
18. Jason Mraz
19. Zac Brown Band
20. Third Eye Blind

By Josh Johnson
Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Comments

• Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    That's pretty cool!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    ymalkielymalkiel Posts: 129
    edited March 2021
    How is Phish not on that list? They’ve been streaming SO MANY concerts over the past year!

i mean, seriously... Third Eye Blind and Five Finger Death punch are on this list, but not Phish? Maybe this is only for livestreams that people had to purchase/RSVP to. If that’s the case, it would completely leave out a band that just posted their livestreams directly to YouTube.
    Post edited by ymalkiel on
    ✌🏼❤️
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    Not KISS show from Dubai on New Years eve?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    What does this even mean "fan RSVPs to livestreams"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199
    I feel personally responsible for this - lol.
  • Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    ymalkiel said:
    How is Phish not on that list? They’ve been streaming SO MANY concerts over the past year!

i mean, seriously... Third Eye Blind and Five Finger Death punch are on this list, but not Phish? Maybe this is only for livestreams that people had to purchase/RSVP to. If that’s the case, it would completely leave out a band that just posted their livestreams directly to YouTube.
    I agree they are live every week.
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,037
    Pearl Jam should do something similar to what Manchester Orchestra did and stream a new performance of Gigaton played in its entirety instead of just streaming old stuff 
  • Options
    ymalkielymalkiel Posts: 129
    KM73780 said:
    Pearl Jam should do something similar to what Manchester Orchestra did and stream a new performance of Gigaton played in its entirety instead of just streaming old stuff 
    What’s funny is that back in the 90’s, something like that would’ve been right up PJ’s alley. That’s basically what Monkeywrench Radio was — playing new music and older songs live in the studio. Too bad they won’t do that now.
    ✌🏼❤️
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,362
    This a survey though. I'm not sure if they look at the actual live streaming numbers. I mean didn't like 5 million people pay to watch Dua Lipa's concert a couple months back?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    I don't recall Springsteen doing any livestreams of new or archived concerts? And, yeah, what about Phish? It's a weird news release.