Options

Mike featured in Spin's "62 Musicians Predict the 2021 Baseball Season"

https://www.spin.com/featured/musicians-predict-the-2021-baseball-season/

Mike McCready, Pearl Jam
Seattle Mariners

Mike McCready Seattle Mariners
CREDIT: Lindsey Wasson/Getty Images

What’s your prognosis for the season? Any hopes for them at all this year?
This is a really hard season to predict with any certainty. The rebuild process that GM Jerry DiPoto started several years ago is finally starting to show signs of a youth movement. Young guys like Kyle Lewis, Evan White and JP Crawford have already made an impact at the big-league level. And future stars like Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez could debut with the Mariners sometime this season. The team should take a step forward over the past couple of seasons, but I think they’re still a year away from being a legitimate playoff contender.

Does anyone on the team excite you? Kelenic?
Absolutely Jarred Kelenic. Not only does he have all the tools, he brings a swagger Seattle hasn’t seen since Griffey Jr. He lives and breathes baseball. I’m also excited to see what Julio Rodriguez does in the coming seasons. Both are potential perennial All-Stars.

Sheffield? Some of the other young guys?
Sure, Justus Sheffield, along with Justin Dunn are exciting young pitchers that I’m looking forward to seeing develop into quality big league starters.

What are your reasonable hopes? What’s the ceiling/floor?
If the young guys develop as everyone here in Seattle hoops, it’s not unreasonable to think they could flirt with contending for a Wild-Card spot. But more reasonably, I think 78-82 wins is possible.

Who is your player to watch this year?
I’m eager to see how 2020 AL ROY Kyle Lewis progresses as a major leaguer. I see a great career out of him. Also excited to see the debut of Kelenic, whenever that may be.

Will they make the playoffs?
Don’t think the playoffs are in their future this year. But I expect them to be a contender for several years starting in 2022. But then again, anything is possible!

What’s your World Series matchup?
I really like what the Padres did this off-season. They committed a ton of money, but are primed to take over the Dodgers as favorites in the NL. I also expect good things from the White Sox this year. So I guess Padres over White Sox is my prediction!

If things are safe, would you go to a game in-person this year?
Everyone in Seattle is very excited that fans will be allowed at games this year at T-Mobile Park. Seems like they’ve taken all the measures to keep both fans and staff safe. I’ll probably see how it goes before committing to attending any games, but it’s nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    I'm excited to see Jrod and Kelenic in the bigs this year.  Nice to see that Mike pays attention to their farm teams.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    #gobraves
  • Options
    If you scroll down to Kim Thayil, there's an old pic of him with Randy Johnson and EV.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    My Redbirds will break through to the WS this year! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    T-Mobile Park? When did they change from Safeco? Geez, I guess it's been 9 years since I was in Seattle and paid attention to things like that...
  • Options
    jammerxjammerx Posts: 72
    I think T-Mobile was already in place before the 2018 Home Shows.

I still have Seattle memories of watching them paint over Qwest for Centurylink from my office.  Long gone day...
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    jammerx said:
    I think T-Mobile was already in place before the 2018 Home Shows.

I still have Seattle memories of watching them paint over Qwest for Centurylink from my office.  Long gone day...
    LOL, I probably heard that but didn't process it! Still Safeco in my head. I remember Qwest - but I didn't go there as much so its not as imprinted in my memory.