Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
edited February 2020 in The Porch
With things now starting to show signs of hitting open transmission in a couple countries outside a China, is anyone else getting nervous that this could impact the tour? 

As of right now this is a total non-issue in North America, however increasing number of experts are openly concerned we will see a significant number of cases over in the US and Canada.

It goes without saying that open transmission would be a huge issue in GA, but also a problem in other seating areas as well as mingling in concourse and queuing. 

Not to mention the slim possibility of the band deciding not to put themselves or their fans/crew at risk and cancelling outright. 

I don't think it's something to freak out over as of yet, but bears watching. Especially considering travel insurance generally doesn't cover show cancellations or "fear of pandemic". 

Thoughts?
Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
Post edited by mattsavard on

Comments

• Options
    BugCityForTheNightBugCityForTheNight Canberra, Australia Posts: 73
    Oh man, stop stressing me out! I'm coming from Australia for the tour! Would be pretty annoying if the first leg of the tour was effected in any way.

2006 - Melb RLA night 1
    2009 - Sydney Brisbane Melbourne
    2011 - EV Sydney 1, 2, 3 & Canberra
    2014 - EV Sydney 1, 2, 3
    2020 - Hamilton, Baltimore, New York
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    No, I would be more worried about the flu 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Sorry not trying to stress anyone out, just curious if anyone else is pondering it. 

As of now we are in good shape, and it generally takes 3wks to become a real issue once it does gain a foothold, so we are pretty quickly approaching the point where the early dates are in the semi-safe zone. 

Will Begin to feel comfortable about Ottawa and Quebec City if we roll into March without issues here. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 897
    Exactly. People watch the news too much. Flu is all around you, and way more likely to get you.
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,071
    I was concerned about the Euro tour as well after having booked non refundable travel and hotels for 5 shows.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    Can't control it, not going to worry about it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,353
    You can control some.. wash hands, don't cough on people,  if you have a fever DON'T GO TO A SHOW. 
    As a health care provider what worries me is flu.... San Diego flu deaths are double last year at this point. 
    But both are viruses.... spread easily by people who go out in public and shouldn't. 
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,197
    Kind of like the Ebola scare of 2010 (I dont really remember the year), this too will fade away and be largely irrelevant for USA and Canada.
  • Options
    rb173565rb173565 Posts: 102
    i take it you dont remember the dark times of SARS, swine flu or bird flu which wiped out millions of people in the worst pandemics known to man. coronavirus is in the same league as those..... if i was in the u.s.i'd be more concerned about some half wit with an automatic rifle.
  • Options
    rb173565 said:
    i take it you dont remember the dark times of SARS, swine flu or bird flu which wiped out millions of people in the worst pandemics known to man. coronavirus is in the same league as those..... if i was in the u.s.i'd be more concerned about some half wit with an automatic rifle.
    This.....we should all be concerned about spreading infectious diseases like viruses.....every day, not just now. I remember SARS and Swine Flu all too well....plus Legionnaire's . To say "this too will fade away and be largely irrelevant for USA and Canada" is a bit naive.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,569
    I'm traveling to Japan in a few weeks and people keep asking if I'm scared and I say the same thing about the flu.  Nothing I can do to control it and if it becomes a worldwide epidemic then at least I saw Japan before checking out.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    Are we living the first 100 pages of The Stand?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:
    I'm traveling to Japan in a few weeks and people keep asking if I'm scared and I say the same thing about the flu.  Nothing I can do to control it and if it becomes a worldwide epidemic then at least I saw Japan before checking out.
    EVERY time I fly I do the same thing...wipe off the seat belt buckle, armrests, tray table, and the dial that opens the air vent. Research shows that the seat belt buckle has most germs. Wash hands, common sense stuff...enjoy your trip
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I disinfect everything in my area like a MF’er before i sit down on a plane.  Im a germaphobe to begin with. 
  • Options
    that's a good thing....
  • Options
    HawkeyeJamHawkeyeJam Posts: 209
    edited February 2020
    I've been monitoring coronavirus news and it's something to monitor but at the same time. 100's of music acts tour at any given time. Millions of people travel across the country every day. If they shutdown a PJ tour because of a virus, we got much bigger things to worry about!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rb173565 said:
    ... if i was in the u.s.i'd be more concerned about some half wit with an automatic rifle.
    These two things.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    also learn to stop touching your hands to your face,as it doesn't matter how many times you wash them as soon as you touch anything and rub your eyes or mouth and eat something you have now put all those wonderful germs in your system.  any time you shake hands the germs live in the moisture of your palms so keep yor hands off your face. you will cut down catching colds etc by at least  75 percent.  
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    KN219077 said:
    Exactly. People watch the news too much. Flu is all around you, and way more likely to get you.
    Yes, right now Flu has killed more folks, and right now you're absolutely more likely to get it. 

However, COVID-19 is very new and is on it's way. Head of CDC said it will be spread freely here this year, and all they can do is slow it down. 

REG FLU: 26 Million Infected : 250k Hospitalized (1%) - 14k Dead (0.05%)

IF COVID-19 Infects the same 26 Million : 3.9 Million Hospitalized (15%) - 1.3 Million Critical (organ failure) - Half a Million Dead (2%)

Now, maybe 26 Million won't be infected... but if the CDC expects it to be transmitted freely, and it's much more contageous than the regular flu... then there's not much to base that stance on.

There's a chance we will have a vaccine by the time it gets here, or some retroviral drug will help. There's a chance the hospitalization/Critical/Death rate goes down. Lots of reasons to be hopeful. But as it stands right now, to say the Flu is a bigger concern than this virus, big picture, is a very myopic. 

Thankfully it generally takes ~3 weeks to go from public transfer to full on epidemic (quarantines and shutdown/cancellation of most services. Japan has just reached public transfer and they're already telling folks to avoid public events. I suspect within 2-3 weeks they wil have full on quarantine/closures like China. They've already started cancelling or massively reducing events, like the famous Toyko Marathon. 

ABOUT THE SHOWS:

I'm hoping it doesn't hit public transmission here for another month or two, but once it does IMO we're looking at a ticking clock for how long before shows and events start getting cancelled. Many companies are canceling events already. Shows were cancelled during the threat of SARS (which this has already blown past)... there IS precedent, and reason to keep watch and consider backup plans. 

At the shows, If it IS public by then, PLEASE don't go if you have the flu or are symptomatic. We all love PJ and don't want to miss them, but the risk of hospitalizing or even possibly killing fellow jammers sounds crazy to say but that's a risk you'd be exposing other fans to.

At the shows, love some of the suggestions here. Avoid touching eyes/mouth. Avoid touching hand rails and other folks as much as possible. Wash/Sanitize frequently. Some fans will likely wear masks regardless of how bad / not bad... try to be supportive/cool to em. 

Fingers crossed this won't be an issue until after the shows (or at all). Certainly a chance of that! But, it can't hurt to look into contingencies. :) 

Cheers! 
    Post edited by mattsavard on

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537

Yes, right now in the US, it is not a big deal and should be more worried about the flu.  The question is about a month from now when the US tour starts, 4 months from now when the Euro tour starts, and 7-8 months when the fall US tour starts. 

We all hope it is like the more recent scares that didn't amount to much in the US but only time will tell.  Right now I'm not too concerned but if 1,000 people in the US have it a month from now I'll be at least thinking about it. 

• Options
    I’m just worried about getting tickets to a show. I’ll take my chances after I get some tickets. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options

Yes, right now in the US, it is not a big deal and should be more worried about the flu.  The question is about a month from now when the US tour starts, 4 months from now when the Euro tour starts, and 7-8 months when the fall US tour starts. 

We all hope it is like the more recent scares that didn't amount to much in the US but only time will tell.  Right now I'm not too concerned but if 1,000 people in the US have it a month from now I'll be at least thinking about it. 

This is where I'm at. I'm flying this weekend and not worried about it. But I am starting to look into contingencies just in case. I don't blame those who aren't yet. But prob a good idea to keep an eye on numbers. 

Cheers man. 

• Options
    I’m just worried about getting tickets to a show. I’ll take my chances after I get some tickets. 
    ha! I feel Ya. I got incredibly lucky in the 10C lottery so I REALLY don't want this damn bug to mess that up. 

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    KN219077 said:
    Yes, right now Flu has killed more folks, and right now you're absolutely more likely to get it. 

However, COVID-19 is very new and is on it's way. Head of CDC said it will be spread freely here this year, and all they can do is slow it down. 

REG FLU: 26 Million Infected : 250k Hospitalized (1%) - 14k Dead (0.05%)

IF COVID-19 Infects the same 26 Million : 3.9 Million Hospitalized (15%) - 1.3 Million Critical (organ failure) - Half a Million Dead (2%)

Now, maybe 26 Million won't be infected... but if the CDC expects it to be transmitted freely, and it's much more contageous than the regular flu... then there's not much to base that stance on.

There's a chance we will have a vaccine by the time it gets here, or some retroviral drug will help. There's a chance the hospitalization/Critical/Death rate goes down. Lots of reasons to be hopeful. But as it stands right now, to say the Flu is a bigger concern than this virus, big picture, is a very myopic. 

these numbers are erroneous you are comparing a newly discovered strain of coronavirus (yes this is not new in isolation, it is a variant)

there are people who likely have been infected, did not report it, recovered and it is not charted in the mix at all.  

There is a reason that places like the CDC and WHO would not dare make such ridiculous projections, because they know they do not have all the data, they can only chart what they have but understand there is data they simply do not have on cases that did not evolve to critical in nature.

Also, I don't know why you are highlighting organ failure as if it is specific to COVID-19, that is how you die of the flu mostly too, organ failure from a deeply aggressive and compromised immune system. 

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    how how about this, if your sick DONT come to the shows. If your a moron who is coughing, stay the fuck home. If you have a fever, stay the fuck home. If you are gunna sneeze, cover your fucking face. Is that clear? If you have any questions just let me know.
  • Options
    PB11041 said:

these numbers are erroneous you are comparing a newly discovered strain of coronavirus (yes this is not new in isolation, it is a variant)

there are people who likely have been infected, did not report it, recovered and it is not charted in the mix at all. 

There is a reason that places like the CDC and WHO would not dare make such ridiculous projections, because they know they do not have all the data, they can only chart what they have but understand there is data they simply do not have on cases that did not evolve to critical in nature.

Also, I don't know why you are highlighting organ failure as if it is specific to COVID-19, that is how you die of the flu mostly too, organ failure from a deeply aggressive and compromised immune system. 

Yes there are many coronaviruses, but this strain is new to humans from what I've heard. Would love to see a link correcting me if ya got one!

With regards to the serious/failure/death rates I provided, they were direct from the WHO speech today. I assume you saw it? If you have issues with those numbers, feel free to take it up with them. Until proven otherwise I'll take their word over an anon user on a forum. :) 

With regards to the hard numbers, obviously those are not official projects. I applied the WHO issued rates to the same sample size as the flu. I was pretty clear about that, and that other factors could reduce that. 

I'm highlighting the organ failure because the WHO did in their speech today. They found it important enough to highlight so I did as well. Also the mechanism of death (systemic sepsis, organ failure due to cytokine storm, and respiratory failure) is NOT the same as the traditional flu. This has been clarified in several googlable medical studies and there's no need to do so here. 

In the context of Pearl Jam's live shows, all that's really relevant is that the CDC has stated widespread transmission is coming to the US... It's just a matter of how much time they can buy.

Selfishly, in the context of this forum... I'm openly hoping it's long enough to not interfere with this epic tour we're about to kick off. :)  Unfortunately my travel protection insurance does NOT cover "Fear of Epidemic/Pandemic" nor "Concert cancellation" as reasons for payment. If you have travel insurance and are curious, I suggest you check your fine print as well. 

Cheers!

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    how how about this, if your sick DONT come to the shows. If your a moron who is coughing, stay the fuck home. If you have a fever, stay the fuck home. If you are gunna sneeze, cover your fucking face. Is that clear? If you have any questions just let me know.

What if ed's sick?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I wouldn't go to the shows, not worth the risk.
  • Options
    Holy crap, people really get this worked up over this? 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    Holy crap, people really get this worked up over this? 
    You would if you lived in China.   Nothing to get worked up now in North America but we are speculating on the future.  Would be good to have numbers we can trust out of China though.  Good to hear that only one person has died outside of China thus far so at least we know the odds aren't like 30% or something. 
This discussion has been closed.