Options

Favorite/least favorite changes in song keys over time?

Favorite:  Crazy Mary.  They play it live typically in A minor, as opposed to B minor and the song arrangement as a whole is more bluesy and rocking with an element of downed folk as opposed to the studio recording which sounds a lot more reserved and somber by nature

Least Favorite:  Life Wasted and Do The Evolution (Boston 2018).  Both just sound odd tuned down, especially Do The Evolution during its one-off performance in C as opposed to D in the end of the 2018 tour

Comments

• Options
    Favorite:  Crazy Mary.  They play it live typically in A minor, as opposed to B minor and the song arrangement as a whole is more bluesy and rocking with an element of downed folk as opposed to the studio recording which sounds a lot more reserved and somber by nature

Least Favorite:  Life Wasted and Do The Evolution (Boston 2018).  Both just sound odd tuned down, especially Do The Evolution during its one-off performance in C as opposed to D in the end of the 2018 tour
    I was at that Boston show and was perplexed by DTE tuned down as they were playing it, but the recording grew on me. Felt more ominous like that. I liked that they changed it up. DTE is my favorite song, but I feel performances have gone downhill a bit over the years. 1998 (especially) through 2003 was the song’s prime imo
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 803
    Comatose detuned was an abortion at Fenway. It was actually bloody funny.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    JT167846 said:
    Comatose detuned was an abortion at Fenway. It was actually bloody funny.
    Agreed.

Also not a fan of fast Even Flow and SOLAT. But I think that’s more of a drum thing.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options

I was at that Boston show and was perplexed by DTE tuned down as they were playing it, but the recording grew on me. Felt more ominous like that. I liked that they changed it up. DTE is my favorite song, but I feel performances have gone downhill a bit over the years. 1998 (especially) through 2003 was the song’s prime imo
    I will have to listen to it again with fresh ears and see if it sounds any less odd!  And yeah, I think that maybe a lot of that has to do with the demanding vocal style for Eddie on that one both in terms of trying a lower tuning and his change in vocal style over the years
  • Options
    lukemil33lukemil33 Vandalia, OH Posts: 231
    I love Habit and Getaway tuned down. Habit in 2013-14 was so menacing and heavy it fit the theme of the song perfectly. Least favorite is probably SOLAT at a few shows in 2016 and the weird tunings from Fenway 2018. 
  • Options
    lukemil33 said:
    I love Habit and Getaway tuned down. Habit in 2013-14 was so menacing and heavy it fit the theme of the song perfectly. Least favorite is probably SOLAT at a few shows in 2016 and the weird tunings from Fenway 2018. 
    Getaway actually did sound fairly cool live in 2013, good call.  I actually didn't mind The Fixer tuned down live either which they have done pretty much since the song came out I believe
  • Options
    I actually am really digging the version of Oceans from Seattle 2018 with it in Db (half step down)
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 342
    I wish I new more about the technical stuff. I end up telling people after a concert that a certain song just sounded better/different. Other than faster or slower I can never it explain properly. It's fun to hear these conversations.
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    I wish I new more about the technical stuff. I end up telling people after a concert that a certain song just sounded better/different. Other than faster or slower I can never it explain properly. It's fun to hear these conversations.
    A lot of times that can totally be the key of the song for sure!  I know for me, even before I learned guitar and the concept of key changes, whenever I heard a song played by a band in a lowered key, it changed the feel of the entire song.  

Which is to me only natural because while the relative pitches (the distance of each note to the tonic i.e. "home base note") may stay the same, having a different "home base" note/chord means all the notes shift accordingly which can turn a song into a whole different thing

That is why for example "The Fixer" has such a different feel live than on the record, playing it in Bb as opposed to B really shifts the sound