2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

His son
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Cool. Thanks.

If he's anything like his dad, Stanford just got a good one.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    Yes, that is his son
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Father and son :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Man the Lakers are bad...

Kyrie has his 5 thesis to do for penance before he's allowed back.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,066

Maybe he won't blow off the play calls of Jacque Vaughn whenever the next time he appears..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

Maybe he won't blow off the play calls of Jacque Vaughn whenever the next time he appears..
    You think Kyrie doesn't like white people or just Steve Nash?
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,066

who knows? he's just an odd duck.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

who knows? he's just an odd duck.
    He's not too far off from going full Kanye.
  • Options
    The ESPN Headline reads Vaughn promotion propels Nets to Win".  Nope  Bullshit.  Kyrie isn't playing is why you won.  He has now become a cancer to his team.

LBJ is hurt.  Groin injury...  Lakers just can't catch a damn break.

WTF is Utah winning?  Just early in the season?
  • Options
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Ben Simmons, hurt again.  Congrats.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    All Year-Round Basketball is brutal for young kids. That can catch up to them. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    cutz said:
    He's probably excited to miss some time.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz said:
    He's probably excited to miss some time.
    I laughed at this.  Why? Because it's probably true.
  • Options
    I watched the GS/Mavs game last night.  Luka is still a damn beast and his teammates were helping out.  GS made it close but weren't the 3point machines from the past.  Poole and Kuminga need some more rope, let them try to hold the reigns going forward.  I would be interested in seeing that.

Interesting stat for Poole and Kuminga is their +/-.  Look that up from last night.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219

Interesting stat for Poole and Kuminga is their +/-.  Look that up from last night.
    +/- in the NBA is a wonky stat at times. With Poole and Kuminga, you have to account for the fact that they were out against the Mavs' bench players mostly.
    Luka was a +22, Hardaway a +19.
    So, what it tells us last night is Golden State's bench outplayed Dallas' bench (which is no surprise looking at the quality of players on each bench) and Mav's starters outplayed Warrior's starters.
    Don't think Poole and Kuminga's +/- numbers would have been so good had they been in the starting 5.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

+/- in the NBA is a wonky stat at times. With Poole and Kuminga, you have to account for the fact that they were out against the Mavs' bench players mostly.
    So, what it tells us last night is Golden State's bench outplayed Dallas' bench (which is no surprise looking at the quality of players on each bench) and Mav's starters outplayed Warrior's starters.
    Don't think Poole and Kuminga's +/- numbers would have been so good had they been in the starting 5.
    Deep bench for GS sure but how shitty was their starters?

Poole is an elite defender and yet he couldn't do much against Luka.  That dude is head and shoulders above everybody man.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Poole is an elite defender and yet he couldn't do much against Luka.  That dude is head and shoulders above everybody man.

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Didn't he disappear in the finals and lose to GS?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

And where was Luka at the time?

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

And where was Luka at the time?

Looking for teammates that could play with him.  Replace Tatum w Luca last year I think they do better against GS.

This year though?  I hope, and I mean this, hope they can get over that hump. Tatum is so damned talented, I want to see him rip it up in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Tatum pretty much ran out of gas in the finals and the shoulder issue definitely showed in his shooting. He was dominant the previous 3 rounds.
    Hopefully this year he maintains that dominance through the finals.
    Prince Willy and Princess Katie were impressed last night.

• Options
    I have them going to the finals again.  Until Giannis has better help/cohesion, Boston is the team in the east.
  • Options

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    That was the best game I’ve seen the Lakers play as a team in a long time.  They actually beat one of the best teams in the East.

Now if they can play like that all the damn time.
  • Options
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35243492/nba-naming-mvp-michael-jordan-top-awards-reimagined

Pretty neat that they are changing up the award names.  Even cooler to see George Mikan honored with his name on one.  It'll make the kids look these guys up.

West is a Clutch award name.  That should be an interesting one to watch.

Something I am sad that isn't out there is a Magic or Bird name on the awards.  Those 2 saved Basketball and brought it in to where it is today.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Something I am sad that isn't out there is a Magic or Bird name on the awards.  Those 2 saved Basketball and brought it in to where it is today.
    The conference finals MVP awards are named after Larry Jo and Earvin, just began this past season I believe.

NBA Conference Finals Most Valuable Player Award - Wikipedia

ETA: It was right in the article you linked to:

The new trophy updates are part of a multiyear project to reimagine many of the NBA's most important awards. Last season, the NBA unveiled an updated Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy, along with new conference championship trophies named after Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy, plus conference finals MVP trophies named after Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

Post edited by Poncier on
  • Options
    Poncier said:

The conference finals MVP awards are named after Larry Jo and Earvin, just began this past season I believe.

NBA Conference Finals Most Valuable Player Award - Wikipedia

ETA: It was right in the article you lined to:

The new trophy updates are part of a multiyear project to reimagine many of the NBA's most important awards. Last season, the NBA unveiled an updated Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy, along with new conference championship trophies named after Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy, plus conference finals MVP trophies named after Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

Ahhh Thank you.  I don't know why I haven't read that... Maybe because I was knee deep in baseball?  I feel much better now.  Bill Russel is the Finals MVP award which is cool.

That's the Mt Rushmore of Basketball elite.

Thoughts to anyone missing?  Kobe is the All-star MVP so I think that's everyone who was up there.  They'll have to figure out an award for Lebron when he's done then?