The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Stores could at least switch to paper...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    edited July 2019
    Do you pay for the bags in Canada? 

In Sweden at Supermarkets they cost... googling... 0,28 CAD (2 SEK)

Maybe the stores could up that to 3 or even 4 SEK and give the money to Climate Change/Ocean related causes.

I don't think they want to get rid of them here - the biggest margin they have is on the plastic bags. It's a money machine.

The biggest change is that stores like H&M and such (non supermarket stores) has started to charge for them and ask if you need one, before they were free.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818

Maybe the stores could up that to 3 or even 4 SEK and give the money to Climate Change/Ocean related causes.

I don't think they want to get rid of them here - the biggest margin they have is on the plastic bags. It's a money machine.

The biggest change is that stores like H&M and such (non supermarket stores) has started to charge for them and ask if you need one, before they were free.

In my municipal area, there was a ban on single use plastic bags from December 2017 until just recently, when the provincial court struck down the ban with the argument that the municipal government didn't have the authority to impose it. However, everyone had gotten used to not having plastic bags, and it doesn't seem like there is any push to put them back into use. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Most stores charge a nickel.  But charging for bags is not mandatory...

Give Peas A Chance…

In my municipal area, there was a ban on single use plastic bags from December 2017 until just recently, when the provincial court struck down the ban with the argument that the municipal government didn't have the authority to impose it. However, everyone had gotten used to not having plastic bags, and it doesn't seem like there is any push to put them back into use. 
    Is it single use though, when you use it for trash later on. Haha. 

But okey. But did they cost in the supermarket before the single plastic ban?`
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited July 2019
    That bag promo had the opposite results and people were getting the bags as a novelty.
    I think it had the exact intended result: it got people talking about the issue - enough for it to get on the news, where they highlighted the intended message. It was a successful campaign.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

I think so, though I can't be sure. I live in an area with a ridiculous 13 municipalities containing fewer than 500,000 people total, so it can be tricky to remember where all the different municipal boundaries are and who does/did what. 

I think so, though I can't be sure. I live in an area with a ridiculous 13 municipalities containing fewer than 500,000 people total, so it can be tricky to remember where all the different municipal boundaries are and who does/did what. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    That bag promo had the opposite results and people were getting the bags as a novelty.
    I think it had the exact intended result: it got people talking about the issue - enough for it to get on the news, where they highlighted the intended message. It was a successful campaign.
    Whatever...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Clintons continue to destroy the environment even after leaving office...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/politics/chelsea-clinton-birth-of-third-child-jasper/index.html

Overpopulation is a crime against all humanity!!

Seriously though, it actually bothers me when someone has more than 1 kid per parent. 
    hippiemom = goodness

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/politics/chelsea-clinton-birth-of-third-child-jasper/index.html

Seriously though, it actually bothers me when someone has more than 1 kid per parent. 
    Kids shouldnt grow up without a sibling. 

Can we decide to stop it at two (2)?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552

I TOTALLY agree.  I hear people talk about how "green" they are.  I'm one of the "greenest" people I know in my circle simply by the fact that I didn't reproduce.

There are huge numbers of children who need families.  People, especially wealthy people, could adopt instead of pumping out more units.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Why shouldn’t they? 

Why shouldn’t they? 
    They turn into serial killers at an alarming rate. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Why shouldn’t they? 
     I wonder if my daughter will head to Sweden for her rampage?

hippiemom = goodness

Why shouldn’t they? 
    Someone has been watching too many movies again. 

Why shouldn’t they? 
    Someone has been watching too many movies again. 

Yep!  Starting with this one:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

I TOTALLY agree.  I hear people talk about how "green" they are.  I'm one of the "greenest" people I know in my circle simply by the fact that I didn't reproduce.

I agree too. Having a child - even just one - is literally the worst environmental impact a person can have on the planet. Worse than driving, worse than flying, worse than throwing away all your recyclables, worse than drinking from plastic straws, lol. I'm personally kinda proud to say that I have a very small environmental impact compared to most people. I don't have children and I live car-free, so I have the two worst-impact behaviours crossed off my list. I also only fly once in every hundred blue moons, although that isn't due to a sense of environmental responsibility at all, like the other two are. I simply can't usually afford to fly, lol. If I could, I'd help pollute the skies up a lot more.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Just this past week I took a train from southern Ontario to Toronto...what a pleasant experience.  Either invest in rail and LRT NOW or it will cost exponentially more in 10 years or longer.  Government is short-sighted when it comes to investing in rail travel.  

I choose the no kids option and would only fly if absolutely necessary in the future...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    We are indeed!  And great point about the population- that's is a major factor here.  A few of our fine ladies here have pointed out that improving education for women world-wide would go a long way in reducing world population.

I've been checking out the Earth Overshoot Day site for years and worldwide, that day comes earlier every year:

They also have a page where you can track a particular country's Overshoot day:

Notice the U.S. is ahead of the pack with Canada close behind. 

There are some small countries that don't use more more resources than the earth can replenish each year but they are WAY outnumbered and vulnerable to the massive overshoot of the bigger countries. 

Proof yet again that we are a self-destructive species.  Very strange.

edited July 2019
    The problem isn't 7.6 billion people on earth (which is flattening out). It's that developed countries like Sweden, Canada etc live using the resources of 4 globes a year when we could restrain ourselves.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Climate change denier here. I'm kinda with the dude who smoked weed with a dude and his buddy went off on him lol. I got a kick out of that.

Here me out (now that you're judging me, this will be both thrilling and exhausting for you.)

What do you want? brianlux and everyone else who thinks humans are causing the sea levels to rise?  I'll make a list of things that come to mind and you tell me if you want them gone.

Every single pipeline ever made.
    Every single piece of plastic ever made.
    Every human (parasite) ever made since the 1800's.
    Every gas vehicle ever made.
    Every electronic ever made.
    The Industrial Revolution itself.

And tell me what you want... I want to fully understand the other side. I'll list things and you tell me if you want them or not.

Electric transportation for everyone.
    No transportation at all.
    No plastic whatsoever.
    No electronics whatsoever.
    No worldwide communication.
    No technology.
    Campfires.

If you could do you want everything to stop now? Just... completely stop? Seriously. (I'm talking about everything to do with oil and gas supplying us with our technology.) Do you want the non-renewable resource industry (oil, gas, coal) to completely 100% stop production? 

For the record: I can't fucking stand trump, I've never smoked weed, I'm pro-choice and color of skin or sexual preference doesn't register as problem I project on people. 

Here's my perspective for you to shred to pieces (I'm really in the lions den here lol.) - somewhere on the planet the other day it was 33 Celsius (or about 90F) and the weather channel said the last time it was the same temp was in the early 1920's.  Here's what I think: I think you believe it hit 33C today partially because of (or wholly because of) human activity. Do you see my immediate follow-up question there??? And that kind of comparison has been going on for decades (beating old hot temp records.)

What do you make of plate tectonics? What's your take on earthquakes and volcanoes and their effects on the climate?

What's your take on the last extinction? Bye bye mammoths and sabers etc.
    What's your take on the recorded ice ages? You know.. the progressing and receding of vast ice sheets?
    What's your take on the Sarah desert once being a vast area of lush green vegetation?

I have two kids, I'm married, I ride motorcycles, I'm a geologist, a handyman, musician, artist, hockey player. I love baseball, traveling, movies and meteorites. I used to teach guitar lessons. I volunteer every year at the Calgary Stampede. I love gopher hunting, deer hunting, fishing and photography. My grandpa taught me how to fix lawnmowers and how to roof a house. I grew up in a grocery store and helped deliver groceries to the elderly for 10 years. I fucking love Pearl Jam.

Hit me on the head as hard as you can. I'll try as best I can to take it.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    evsgjamm said:
    Climate change denier here. 
    Reading stops here.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    evsgjamm said:
    Climate change denier here. I'm kinda with the dude who smoked weed with a dude and his buddy went off on him lol. I got a kick out of that.

Here me out (now that you're judging me, this will be both thrilling and exhausting for you.)

What do you want? brianlux and everyone else who thinks humans are causing the sea levels to rise?  I'll make a list of things that come to mind and you tell me if you want them gone.

And tell me what you want... I want to fully understand the other side. I'll list things and you tell me if you want them or not.

No plastic whatsoever.
    No technology.
    Campfires.

If you could do you want everything to stop now? Just... completely stop? Seriously. (I'm talking about everything to do with oil and gas supplying us with our technology.) Do you want the non-renewable resource industry (oil, gas, coal) to completely 100% stop production? 

For the record: I can't fucking stand trump, I've never smoked weed, I'm pro-choice and color of skin or sexual preference doesn't register as problem I project on people. 

Here's my perspective for you to shred to pieces (I'm really in the lions den here lol.) - somewhere on the planet the other day it was 33 Celsius (or about 90F) and the weather channel said the last time it was the same temp was in the early 1920's.  Here's what I think: I think you believe it hit 33C today partially because of (or wholly because of) human activity. Do you see my immediate follow-up question there??? And that kind of comparison has been going on for decades (beating old hot temp records.)

What do you make of plate tectonics? What's your take on earthquakes and volcanoes and their effects on the climate?

What's your take on the recorded ice ages? You know.. the progressing and receding of vast ice sheets?
    What's your take on the Sarah desert once being a vast area of lush green vegetation?

I have two kids, I'm married, I ride motorcycles, I'm a geologist, a handyman, musician, artist, hockey player. I love baseball, traveling, movies and meteorites. I used to teach guitar lessons. I volunteer every year at the Calgary Stampede. I love gopher hunting, deer hunting, fishing and photography. My grandpa taught me how to fix lawnmowers and how to roof a house. I grew up in a grocery store and helped deliver groceries to the elderly for 10 years. I fucking love Pearl Jam.

I'll tell you what I want and you tell me if you want it:
    A planet that supports human life

The science is out there in broad daylight. The correlations are not exact, but they're nearly unexplainable without the influence of human activity (to the point where it's illogical and reckless to dispute). My opinion personally, I'm through helping people understand things that are obvious and provable. If you want to know why to believe in global warming, Google it. There's a reason it has such near-unanimous consent, and in 2019, if you haven't come around yet, it might be because you're letting your bias speak louder than the facts.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    brianlux said:
    We are indeed!  And great point about the population- that's is a major factor here.  A few of our fine ladies here have pointed out that improving education for women world-wide would go a long way in reducing world population.

I've been checking out the Earth Overshoot Day site for years and worldwide, that day comes earlier every year:

They also have a page where you can track a particular country's Overshoot day:

Notice the U.S. is ahead of the pack with Canada close behind. 

There are some small countries that don't use more more resources than the earth can replenish each year but they are WAY outnumbered and vulnerable to the massive overshoot of the bigger countries. 

Proof yet again that we are a self-destructive species.  Very strange.

As long as the earth continues to populate like it's an Olympic sport the earth is fucked...no pun intended.

Let's remember in many poor countries having children is also seen as a social safety net for the parents and grandparents.  How do you solve that problem?  The west has poor 10's of billions of aid into poor countries and yet many of these countries the wheels keep spinning, but nothing is moving.

I am not as convinced as you are that education makes a difference...we have Mennonite families who have been here for decades and they pop out 6-8 kids no problem...

Give Peas A Chance…
    evsgjamm said:

No plastic whatsoever.
    No technology.
    Campfires.

OK, I have the morning off, so I'll bite.

What do you want [gone]?
    Every single pipeline ever made. No, but I could live with rolling papers only if I had to.
    Every single piece of plastic ever made. Irrelevant question.  The plastic that has already been made will be around for a LONG time.
    Every human (parasite) ever made since the 1800's.   I don't have human parasites in my life.  People like that just want to drain me.
    Every gas vehicle ever made.  No, just the poorly made ones that are purposefully intended to break down and get shitty gas milage.
    Every electronic ever made.  Hell no.  Keep your hands off my stereo!
    The Industrial Revolution itself.  No, but then I wouldn't mind if humans had never invented agriculture in which case there never would have been an industrial revolution.  It is surmised the pre-agricultural humans were decent people.

What do you want?

Electric transportation for everyone.  No, I'd rather see more public transit and fewer cars.
    No transportation at all.  Ahhh, no.
    No plastic whatsoever.  Plastics could be replaced by hemp, so yes, no plastics.
    No electronics whatsoever.  Dammit, I said LEAVE MY STEREO ALONE!
    No worldwide communication.  More tin cans and string!
    No technology.  Less is better.
    Campfires.  Yes.  Who doesn't love a good campfire!

As for some place hitting 33 C, how many times do I have to say this?  LOCAL WEATHER IS NOT THE SAME AS GLOBAL CLIMATE.

I think earthquakes and volcanoes are marvelous- the awesome power of nature!  Yes, volcano affect climate.  Earthquakes, not so much.

Shit happens.
    What's your take on the recorded ice ages?
    Shit happened.
    You know.. the progressing and receding of vast ice sheets?
    93% of published scientists attribute the current receding to human activity.  I'm going with the 93, not the 7.
    I would love to have seen that.

Hit you as hard as I can?

Vicious
    You want me to hit you with a stick
    All I've got's a guitar pick
    Ahh, honey, you're just to damn vicious.
    -Lou Reed

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    Here in Nassau County Long Island they are finally stopping the use of plastic bags.

Believe it or not there is not a bunch of blowback so far which I am happy about.

Mention plastic straws though and people lose their minds.

We in our houshold are trying to find somewhere local that can do refills of soap, conditioner and whatnot.

Nothing exists.

We have switched to a shampoo bar to cut down on plastics.

Trying to find alternatives all the time.
    Here in Nassau County Long Island they are finally stopping the use of plastic bags.

Believe it or not there is not a bunch of blowback so far which I am happy about.

Mention plastic straws though and people lose their minds.

We in our houshold are trying to find somewhere local that can do refills of soap, conditioner and whatnot.

Nothing exists.

We have switched to a shampoo bar to cut down on plastics.

Trying to find alternatives all the time.
    Bravo, my friend.  Well done!