Options

Would you like to see Pearl Jam make the Hometown Shows an annual event?

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
It's not even like they have to tour to play here. All the fans I talked to said they had a really great time here, having the retractable roof at Safeco is obviously a major plus. I figure that it could become an annual event almost like a Pearl Jam convention. They sold out both shows 47,000 seats & could've easily sold out a 3rd show as well (Monday-Wednesday-Friday). Plus this homeless problem here in Seattle is so severe that while what Pearl Jam did with these shows helps, it's going to take a sustained effort from everyone in this community for years to be able to win this battle, it's not an easy fix, but I know if the Seattle community here stays united this fight can be won, and Pearl Jam can be the center piece of this fight & if they can lead this fight and we do wipe out homelessness here in Seattle, that would be their greatest accomplishment.

Would you like to see Pearl Jam make the Hometown Shows an annual event? 129 votes

Yes: Play every year!
36%
i got idevenflow822-feign-reluctanceHorse2345bosshogg18letsongsprotestWashedVikkivalemr bungleEddieredderchiwhitesoxpotnikdannyYefaHawkshoredcdubcurmudgeonessGT1015CJ23113RS65573 47 votes
No: Screw Seattle!
16%
intodeepmcgruff10neutron baumMUZIKon2legsdcp3yRT85129HH140540LukinAtURoleModelsinBlood31scotterbsBLACK35PJ_SouldeadendpRBAlive2727SmallestOceansdrakeheuer14bigdeathLerxst1992thispureamericanriot 21 votes
Kind Of: Every 2 or 3 years is fine
47%
IndifferenceCServantlastexit78iwastherefarfromglorifiedanakin_pdxaustinevolution10merlecakesgoldrushlolobuggshermlemon2LukinFankasedougSidnumdroptheleash9PA JammerRE4790JH6056DC29940 61 votes

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited August 2018
    I don't think they'd play an arena show in Seattle ever again if they did that, and I would worry that they wouldn't bother with Vancouver much anymore either. PJ is at their best in arenas, so I hate that idea. I don't like the ballpark shows, personally - I don't think they are good music venues. I would actually like to see PJ never play a ballpark again, ideally. I know that is very unlikely of course.... I'm just starting to be bugged by this new trend of tiny ballpark tours in the US, and then basically nothing else. It sucks.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Nothing against ballparks, nor Seattle, but I think spreading the love around and giving those who travel new/interesting destinations would be great. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I don't want them to play Safeco again, since I have no interest in attending ball park or stadium shows. But remember, they did say when they backed OVP's venture to renovate the Seattle Center Arena, that they would be interested in doing a regular, extended residency in the new arena. So if that does happen, I'd like for those residencies to support the homeless cause.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think they'd play an arena show in Seattle ever again if they did that, and I would worry that they wouldn't bother with Vancouver much anymore either. PJ is at their best in arenas, so I hate that idea. I don't like the ballpark shows, personally - I don't think they are good music venues. I would actually like to see PJ never play a ballpark again, ideally. I know that is very unlikely of course.... I'm just starting to be bugged by this new trend of tiny ballpark tours in the US, and then basically nothing else. It sucks.
    I don't think so, they can do a Norcal/Pacific Northwest tour where they incorporate it in every 4 or 5 years.
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Boise or Spokane
    Edmonton or Calgary
    Vancouver
    Safeco Field shows
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think so, they can do a Norcal/Pacific Northwest tour where they incorporate it in every 4 or 5 years.
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Boise or Spokane
    Edmonton or Calgary
    Vancouver
    Safeco Field shows
    Sure, they could. I'm just saying that I don't think they would.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Boise or Spokane
    Edmonton or Calgary
    Vancouver
    Safeco Field shows
    Sure, they could. I'm just saying that I don't think they would.
    They should, I loved those Sacramento shows at Cal Expo, also Portland & Vancouver always have awesome crowds, I really think they should play Boise again, they can play at Albertson Stadium where the Boise St Broncos play. It would be a pretty easy tour logistically too, hopefully we see something like this in the next few years  =)
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    I could do without stadium shows.  Acoustics kind of suck

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    JB56195 said:
    the acoustics were freaking awesome at Safeco, that was my first stadium show, so I was thinking the same thing, but I was completely blown away
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Kind Of: Every 2 or 3 years is fine

I'm up for whatever, but if you're going to visit the two oldest baseball stadiums, why the HECK can't they visit the third oldest, Dodgers Stadium?!   Yes I know off topic. 

Yes the acoustics at Safeco were wonderful.

Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    PSUS2H said:

I'm up for whatever, but if you're going to visit the two oldest baseball stadiums, why the HECK can't they visit the third oldest, Dodgers Stadium?!   Yes I know off topic. 

they could do a MLB tour over 2 years, play 15 of them one year & play the other 15 the next year, they would rake in the $$$$$
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    No more stadium shows for me after Boston.  I'm done w them.

No more than two shows in a row for me either...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    PSUS2H said:

they could do a MLB tour over 2 years, play 15 of them one year & play the other 15 the next year, they would rake in the $$$$$
    I hope not.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,111
    edited August 2018
    Well, I'd never use that word to talk about Seattle, but  honestly the outdoor stadium shows are far inferior to indoor arena shows. 

I'll know for sure at Fenway but the majority of you tube videos from this mini tour most of the crowd is so far from the stage, fans seemed to be talking over the band.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,111
    JB56195 said:
    the acoustics were freaking awesome at Safeco, that was my first stadium show, so I was thinking the same thing, but I was completely blown away

You got very lucky. On a windy outdoor nite, not only do your ears have to tune out the sound of the wind to hear the  music, the wind literally moves sound waves around which distort sound.
  • Options
    Well, I'd never use that word to talk about Seattle, but  honestly the outdoor stadium shows are far inferior to indoor arena shows. 

I'll know for sure at Fenway but the majority of you tube videos from this mini tour most of the crowd is so far from the stage, fans seemed to be talking over the band.
    you were not at Safeco, so that is based on previous information, the Safeco shows were epic, the sound was loud & clear & the whole crowd was really into it, at Safeco they kicked major ass & took names, it was badass to see them embraced so fully in their Hometown, because for many years they kind of dreaded playing here, Eddie even mentioned it at a show in Vancouver in 2009, which followed Safeco
  • Options
    JB56195 said:

You got very lucky. On a windy outdoor nite, not only do your ears have to tune out the sound of the wind to hear the  music, the wind literally moves sound waves around which distort sound.
    fortunately we almost never have windy outdoor nights, usually at worst it's a gentle breeze, certainly not strong enough to blow anything around or make any noise
  • Options
    Sure everyone would like a smaller and more intimate setting. But think about efficiency for a second. Its hard as is, to get stadium tixs!!! You want them to go smaller and make it even harder? Careful what you ask for. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sure everyone would like a smaller and more intimate setting. But think about efficiency for a second. Its hard as is, to get stadium tixs!!! You want them to go smaller and make it even harder? Careful what you ask for. 

They could just do more shows. Like, regular length tours like other bands do.
    Anyway, I'd actually rather not see them at all than deal with another stadium show. I'm glad I went to the ballpark show I went to, but that was enough to last me for the rest of my life. But that's just me (I say before people decide that comment means I'm trying to end stadium shows for everyone who likes them. God, I WISH I had that much influence over the band, lol!).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    +1. They sold out 47,000 seats x 2, but they could've sold out 60,000 x 3. Had those 2 shows been in a 17,000 seat arena, that would've been 30,000 people a night who would have missed out on those shows, They absolutely crushed it, all the post show reviews here locally were glowing & it seems as though Pearl Jam has finally conquered Seattle
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,829
    edited August 2018
    Do arenas, stadiums are just To big. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do arenas, stadiums are just To big. 
    the Safeco Field shows were awesome, I will definitely see them every time they play there, I blown away by how awesome & clear the sound was, I felt the thunder, still in bliss 11 days after the fact
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,398
    Go back to arenas.  But that said...if they did 1 annual "hometown" show a year, thats fine. As long as its part of a bigger tour when called for. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,398
    If they did more shows, with wider locations, the demand for many of the cities would die down a bit 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    If they did more shows, with wider locations, the demand for many of the cities would die down a bit 
    true because they play a lot fewer shows now
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    Interested in any cause-based shows, whether they are in Seattle or not. I know Vitalogy Foundation gets proceeds from all show ticket sales, but the idea of having a cause's focus is intriguing. A stadium show with smaller venue solo/side project events would be a killer combo.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    tschav said:
    Interested in any cause-based shows, whether they are in Seattle or not. I know Vitalogy Foundation gets proceeds from all show ticket sales, but the idea of having a cause's focus is intriguing. A stadium show with smaller venue solo/side project events would be a killer combo.
    Yeah, it's nice, but such things are very difficult to sustain. I think they're actually better off in the long run sticking with the Vitalogy Foundation proceeds from regular tickets. People and businesses can catch the charity bug, but if you overplay it, things will fall apart, people will lose interest.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Boise or Spokane
    Edmonton or Calgary
    Vancouver
    Safeco Field shows
    This, especially Sac and SF.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Surprised they haven’t booked anything at Citizens Bank Park in Philly yet. That would be cool. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tschav said:
    Yeah, it's nice, but such things are very difficult to sustain. I think they're actually better off in the long run sticking with the Vitalogy Foundation proceeds from regular tickets. People and businesses can catch the charity bug, but if you overplay it, things will fall apart, people will lose interest.
    If you aren't in Seattle, you have no clue the extent of the homeless crisis here, the negative impact on these massive corporations is huge, it makes it much harder to keep prized employees & get people to move here, plus it's a embarrassment for people living here & many amongst those people are people with lots & lots of money
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Boise or Spokane
    Edmonton or Calgary
    Vancouver
    Safeco Field shows
    This, especially Sac and SF.
    I might have to do that whole tour if it ever came about  B)
This discussion has been closed.