Options

For Those Who Endure

BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
edited June 2018 in The Porch
As I sit in my apartment and anxiously await my 1am flight tonight to Europe, I think about all the people like me who may be dealing with anxiety, fear, sadness, and loneliness for various reasons. I love being with my Pearl Jam family, but I also deal with a large amount of anxiety when traveling, especially to places I haven't been before. The mixed feelings of excitement, anxiety, joy, and fear of the unknown are especially confusing and difficult to push through. But I do, and we do.

For those of you also working through those feelings whether during this European leg or the upcoming US leg, just know that you're not alone and that your feelings are perfectly natural.

For those of you who are working through any other hardship or trauma in your life more serious than anxiety and fear, also know that we're always here for you. You are not alone.

See you in Prague, Krakow, and Berlin. Rock on, love you all (well, most of you anyway)  :)
Post edited by BizzzyBozzzy on

Comments

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,236
    Me too. I'm so anxious about the trip that I'm having trouble packing. Part of that is due to our sad story of being turned away at passport control in Munich and missing the 2014 shows. Part of it I just come by naturally.
    I (and my husband) keep telling myself that I will have a great time once I get there. I just wish someone would build a teleporter a la Star Trek. :-(

Heading to Prague, Krakow and Berlin, too. I keep telling my son not to let his anxiety get the best of him -- I need to remind myself of that, too.

Onward.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. I agree, we'll be fine once we get there! :)

It's important to acknowledge that we know we'll be fine and that this is normal for us. It helps minimize the impact and the power of it. I used to be so anxious that I'd cancel plans to feel the relief. But the regret was always worse. Now I just acknowledge my anxiousness and let it flow through me, and don't fight it. And it'll just be a passenger with me.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,934
    I'm glad you have spoken out. I'm now in big danger of missing my trip  to Krakow
     I just can't do it. I suffered  so badly even in my home town. 
    I'm just so ill at the  moment it's like I'm in a weird nightmare that never ends
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I wasn't fine at all so I think this is something else . That's what it does 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I have an anxiety thread on the all encompassing trip page.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    That is awesome that you just find the strength to power through it and go.
  • Options
    SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    edited June 2018
    I get it travelling alone and there's a lot of it this tour. We'll get through it.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • Options
    I'm glad you have spoken out. I'm now in big danger of missing my trip  to Krakow
     I just can't do it. I suffered  so badly even in my home town. 
    I'm just so ill at the  moment it's like I'm in a weird nightmare that never ends
    I'll be in Krakow after a train/bus on 7/2 and 7/3 before the show if you want to meet up with some friendly people experiencing similar things. If you follow your heart and not your fear then you'll be fine. And if it's something else, just ask yourself where you'll be the most healthy. And what the next small step is to help yourself get better. Whether it's asking for help, talking to a stranger or someone close to you, or doing something on your own.

I made it to Paris and spent the afternoon and night walking around. Flight to Prague in the morning! I hope to see you all soon. If you want my FB Messenger info or my WhatsApp #, PM me.
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    What tips do you have for reducing your anxiety? Personally I’m always super chilled but my wife always frets and worries about travelling...
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018