2»

Comments

• Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Love the covers, just mix them up more
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited March 2018
    I don't even consider Rockin', Baba, or Sonic Reducer to be covers at this point. I'd throw Leaving Here in there too. I mean, they've played Rockin' 299 times to Neil Young's 169. It's a Pearl Jam song. 
    Um, no it's not. That is kind of an insult to the great Neil Young.

Also, I think they desperately need to retire RITFW. It is so played out IMHO. I think Neil Young knows something PJ doesn't, lol. Neil apparently knows how not to wear out a great song. Time for a new rocker for PJ's 2nd encore. Oh god, please, lol. At this point I can barely tolerate RITFW.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't even consider Rockin', Baba, or Sonic Reducer to be covers at this point. I'd throw Leaving Here in there too. I mean, they've played Rockin' 299 times to Neil Young's 169. It's a Pearl Jam song. 
    Um, no it's not. "His music is cheesy and his voice sounds like a prepubescent boy" would be an insult to Neil Young.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    If you want to hear the songs, put a record on your turntable. If you want a concert, enjoy what's offered. I am not saying that I wouldn't like some variety, but I love the band. They could stand on stage, talking among themselves, and I would stare for at least an hour.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It might also turn you on to a band you never heard of. I'm a big fan of Chris Robinson and the Black Crowes. They have always played lots of covers and turned me on to a lot of artists and music I never explored before.
    Yep!  I discovered The La's simply by listening Timeless Melody on a PJ boot. 

I enjoy the covers.  They're exciting, it mixes up the setlist, and it lends some familiarity for the casual listeners & husbands/wives/partners/concert buddies that might not be as mental about PJ as we all are.

I am glad they've amped up the overall quantity of covers in recent years.  RITFW and Baba have been played to death (though I don't know if I can tire of Baba as it's my favorite song, ever).  It's been refreshing to hear Surrender, Comfortably Numb, Little Wing a bit more often.  And I've gotten Waiting on a Friend, The Real Me, Love Reign O'er Me, Rain, Throw Your Arms Around Me, & Time Has Come Today at some of my more recent shows.  It's always fun (not always pleasing, but usually is with PJ) when another band makes a song their own.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    edited March 2018
    The original OTOTO version of Ain't Talkin' Bout Love in Hartford back in 2010 is probably one of my favorite concert memories. Covers can be very cool.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Um, no it's not. "His music is cheesy and his voice sounds like a prepubescent boy" would be an insult to Neil Young.
    They both insults. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,541
    It might also turn you on to a band you never heard of. I'm a big fan of Chris Robinson and the Black Crowes. They have always played lots of covers and turned me on to a lot of artists and music I never explored before.

I enjoy the covers.  They're exciting, it mixes up the setlist, and it lends some familiarity for the casual listeners & husbands/wives/partners/concert buddies that might not be as mental about PJ as we all are.

I am glad they've amped up the overall quantity of covers in recent years.  RITFW and Baba have been played to death (though I don't know if I can tire of Baba as it's my favorite song, ever).  It's been refreshing to hear Surrender, Comfortably Numb, Little Wing a bit more often.  And I've gotten Waiting on a Friend, The Real Me, Love Reign O'er Me, Rain, Throw Your Arms Around Me, & Time Has Come Today at some of my more recent shows.  It's always fun (not always pleasing, but usually is with PJ) when another band makes a song their own.
    and Masters of War at Wrigley!!   That was towards the top of concert moments for me. 
  • Options

and Masters of War at Wrigley!!   That was towards the top of concert moments for me. 
    Definitely!  That version was absolutely sick!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well at least you've got a sense of humor. When I posted this, I thought "Now is this guy gonna get a laugh out of this or is he going to preach to me about how great Neil Young is?" So thank you for not going with the latter.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well at least you've got a sense of humor. When I posted this, I thought "Now is this guy gonna get a laugh out of this or is he going to preach to me about how great Neil Young is?" So thank you for not going with the latter.
    Lol! You're welcome? ;) I just wish I hadn't accidentally left a word out of my sentence. I hate when I do that.
    As for NY.... I LOOOOVE him ... But I also understand why some people really don't. His voice in particular is definitely not for everyone. But back to what's really important... which is PJ needing to retire that damned song. =)

Someone else mentioned they just really need to have more variety with their covers. I couldn't agree more. The same covers and over and over for years on end... I just don't see the point of that, really. I love covers, but mostly I love them because they are kind of like a surprise in a setlist - something new and different thrown in - like "wow, that's awesome, they're covering _______!! I can't believe it!" Or "wow, I've never heard that before, that's fun!" PJ doesn't do that very often anymore at all - it's incredibly rare - and I miss that. I would love if they'd start doing more covers that they've never done before, or have very rarely done over the years. I wish they would have some fun with it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I agree.  Ritfw is so tired now.  Honestly yellow led has lost its luster to me somewhat too, just because it’s so predictable.  Switch it up 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    I agree.  Ritfw is so tired now.  Honestly yellow led has lost its luster to me somewhat too, just because it’s so predictable.  Switch it up 

Not only that, but the charm of Yellow Ledbetter (for me) used to be Mike's unaccompanied solo at the end where he'd often tag on classic rock songs by Zeppelin/Van Halen/Maiden/Nugent/etc. I don't really care to hear the star-spangled banner

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Yellow Ledbetter is god awful.  It's been relegated to a "hey let's go now so we can beat the traffic" song for me.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    5 shows. zero Yled. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Yellow Ledbetter is god awful.  It's been relegated to a "hey let's go now so we can beat the traffic" song for me.
    I wouldn't go with God awful but I have have left my spot during this song a few times to be closer to the exit. RITFW needs to be retired for a tour or two. 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    I think some (all) of us have seen to many shows.   We've developed song fatigue for certain songs.

I feel the same way about covers that I do about originals.   There's some songs I like better than others.   I love Baba each and every time they bust it out, but I don't appreciate RiTFW the same way.    They play Corduroy just as much as they do Even Flow/Do The Evolution, but I still like hear Corduroy live.

Some songs appeal to you so much they're immune to "too many shows" syndrome.   Other songs aren't :(

I loved getting to hear some old school PJ covers at Wrigley.  Masters of War, I am a Patriot, I've Got a Feeling, Sonic Reducer etc... all songs I've listened to for decades but finally got to here them bust them out live.

• Options
    Zod said:
    I think some (all) of us have seen to many shows.   We've developed song fatigue for certain songs.

I feel the same way about covers that I do about originals.   There's some songs I like better than others.   I love Baba each and every time they bust it out, but I don't appreciate RiTFW the same way.    They play Corduroy just as much as they do Even Flow/Do The Evolution, but I still like hear Corduroy live.

Some songs appeal to you so much they're immune to "too many shows" syndrome.   Other songs aren't :(

I loved getting to hear some old school PJ covers at Wrigley.  Masters of War, I am a Patriot, I've Got a Feeling, Sonic Reducer etc... all songs I've listened to for decades but finally got to here them bust them out live.

That isn't the case for me. I've seen very few shows. I've only seen this song live twice. Honestly, I was pretty sick of it before I ever saw them live. And I don't hate the song... but even just from all the boots it's on and from the live videos I've seen it felt played out. And always at the same place in the setlist too. Also, I guess I'm a bit surprised they still WANT to play it. Why isn't the band sick of this song yet???
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    PJ_Soul said:

That isn't the case for me. I've seen very few shows. I've only seen this song live twice. Honestly, I was pretty sick of it before I ever saw them live. And I don't hate the song... but even just from all the boots it's on and from the live videos I've seen it felt played out. And always at the same place in the setlist too. Also, I guess I'm a bit surprised they still WANT to play it. Why isn't the band sick of this song yet???
    That's a good question.  I'm not sure.   There must be some songs they really like playing, and some songs they think the crowd really wants to here.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

RITFW at Fenway 2 in 2016 was the happiest I've ever seen the band onstage. I acn take or leave the song but for whatever reason they love playing it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

RITFW at Fenway 2 in 2016 was the happiest I've ever seen the band onstage. I acn take or leave the song but for whatever reason they love playing it.

It is an easy song to play. band can jam on it endlessly. any guest musicians can easily play with no practice. plus it pretty much rocks. I would love to see them do a version with Uncle Neil. that is on my wishlist.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    lolobugg said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

It is an easy song to play. band can jam on it endlessly. any guest musicians can easily play with no practice. plus it pretty much rocks. I would love to see them do a version with Uncle Neil. that is on my wishlist.
    too bad you weren't at toronto 1, 2011.  my wife and i still talk about that show.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    CopperTom said:
    NO COVERS!!!

A band of this stature and catalog shouldn't be playing covers.  It's a shame that all too often there are more covers played than songs off of No Code.  Or Binaural.  Or Riot Act.  Or Avacado.  Or Backspacer.
    This x a million 
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i would absolutely LOVE if they added to Around And Around to this year's offerings of classic covers.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

too bad you weren't at toronto 1, 2011.  my wife and i still talk about that show.

that was epic. maybe one day I will get to see them together.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

that was epic. maybe one day I will get to see them together.
    Ed teased Winnipeg 2011 pretty huge. didn't happen. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208

I think covers, when they are commentary on something topical are touch points in a show that further connect the band to the audience eg: Gimme Some Truth, Masters of War during the Bush presidency. Or they can be fun homages when the band plays a particular town, or just because it’s fun eg Surrender in Chicago, Throw Your Arms... in Australia or NZ, or Mike ripping Eruption. 

Same point as others: I prefer to hear an original hit or lesser known song over an overused cover like RITFW or Baba, or they should just out some new covers like Timeless Melody, Can’t Help Falling In Love With You, Whip It etc.  They must have a ton of songs that they can pull out or new stuff to surprise us with. 

For a band that prides itself on its unique set lists, just to throw the same dozen covers at the audience is dare I say it, kinda lazy...
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Feeling Alright :) 
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    Would you pay if Lets say Pj play a charity show, playing covers from start to finish
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    THIS .........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbE4bPIRZAc
    One of the best pj moments I've ever seen, especially the segway into Blood.

'06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II