Options

2024 NASCAR Season!!! Starts on pg 13.

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    Double header at Poconos this week.

First day winner goes to Kevin Harvick. Second Jordan Team member Hamlin and the driver who led the most laps and whom I thought was going to win but had to pit was Amirola.

Amirola was on fire today too.

Interesting thing is the drivers all have to use the same car tomorrow.  

My boy Byron got lapped.  The Chevy's sucked today.  Fords and Yota's in the top 10.
  • Options
    GREAT RACE TODAY!!!  Brickyard is one of my favorite racetracks.

Byron won stage 1 by staying out and not pitting.  That was pretty much his highlight of the day.

The first pit stop resulted in a wreck considering the opening to pit road is so damn tiny.  One of the cars pinned a pit crewmen between them.  He gave a thumbs up when being carted off so hopefully he is ok. 

There was some great back and forth between Harvick and Hamlin.  Great racing between the 2.

Hamlin had the race sowed up with 5 laps to go but a front right tire went down and he ended up in the wall ending his day.

Harvick had only 1 driver to worry about on the green white restart and that was the recently un retired Matt Kenseth.  Kenseth didn't have enough car and took 2nd. Almirola was 3rd.  Watch him next week in making something happen.

Congrats to Harvick on back to back Brickyard wins.

Cool note of the day was Kenseth wearing a Metallica mask.
  • Options
    What a great finish to a great race.

Congrats to a rookie, yes a rookie, Cole Custer stole the Quaker State 400 from Truex and Harvick.  He went high on the last lap and had huge momentum to pass them and got the win.

I thought Jimmy Johnson, whom is fresh back from quarantine, was going to win this but he got spun out by Keselowski.  I completely expect Johnson to wreck his ass next week.

My boy Byron got 11th, so that is good.

Next race is Wednesday, the All star race.
  • Options
    Oh Hot Damn!!!

The opening stages have been something!

Not gonna lie, wasn't thrilled that this is at the short track of Bristol but it hasn't disappointed!

Amirola takes stage 1.
    My boy Byron won stage 2 and Wallace got wrecked.  He was in a good position too.  He got wrecked by #34 McDowell.  Interviews after and Wallace was not pleased.  He put his wrecked bumper at the trailer of #34.  That's savage and good for u Bubba!
    Stage 3 Debenedetto wins.
    Fan vote goes to the hard partying, EDM dancing Clint Boyer.

Winner of this race gets a cool Milli and bragging rights that they bested the rest.

More to come!
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that DW was back in the booth!

So nice to see him again!
  • Options
    Keselowski won this weekend.  I thought Hamlin would be winning again but no.

My Boy Byron was 10th or 11th.  He had a brief moment of greatness but that quickly passed, lol.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Class act....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    2021 NASCAR season is upon us!

Michael Jordan, yes, that Michael Jordan, throws his hat into NASCAR racing with a team driven by Bubba Wallace and co owned w Team Jordan member Denny Hamlin.  Hamlin won back to back Indy 500's so look for him to make an unprecedented attempt at a 3rd this year.

Jordan also is no stranger to racing.  He has dabbled in AMA and grew up enjoying NASCAR so this will be interesting for 23/XI racing.  I'll be rooting for them.

Next big thing is in the Hendricks Motorsports garage. Gone are Dale Jr, Gordon and Johnson.  All the old guard have retired and new faces are here.  The biggest edition is Kyle Larson whom was suspended last year for dropping the N word on national tv while being miked up.  Dude has tons of talent, did something stupid and almost lost his career for it.  Let's hope this 2nd chance he gets he does the right thing w it.

So Hendrick still has last years champion in Chase Elliott, rising star and whom I regularly root for William Byron and Alex Bowman as well as Larson.  Gone is the 88 car as Bowman will take over #48 duties instead.

Bristol put down dirt on the small oval.  That's right.  Dirt.  Many of todays NASCAR drivers have a history of coming from the dirt tracks from heavily modifieds all the way up to Silver Crown Racing which is truly the Minor League of NASCAR.

Another growing theme in NASCAR is "Road tracks".  Not new at all but more and more races are not just turning left anymore. 6 road races including a new spot in Austin.

Many other new faces this year so watch out for the young guns out there in Briscoe and Alfredo.  If truck racing is your thing look for female Hallie Deegan and Hocevar to be leading the pack there as far as new racers.  I'll admit that I do not give truck racing it's due and will get more involved with it this year as well as the Xfinity series.

So don't forget this Valentines day is the Daytona 500!

Drivers, START YOUR ENGINES!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    My kid is totally pumped.  We watched a season preview for a bit this weekend and he was very excited that his favorites were hyped.
    I wish my dad were still alive, he loved this shit.  Would have been a great bonding thing with Grandpa.   Instead, I will watch with him...but my favored racer retired.  Think it will be the new 48 car I root for, which is one of the guys my kid also likes, Bowman.

There goes our DVR space.  These races are so long and he watches them in 30 hour clips.  (We don't let him watch too much TV)

If you told me I would be back to watching NASCAR I would have said you were crazy.  But my 6 year old loves it, so I will enjoy it with him.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    30 minute clips....that is what he watches them in, not 30 hour clips!  :lol: 
  • Options
    I was like WOW, he must binge watch all 3 races at once!

How does a 6yo come to enjoy NASCAR and learn about these new drivers?  This is fantastic!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
      Hamlin won back to back Indy 500's 
    Daytona too.   ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Considering that NASCAR is the US's largest spectator sport and the political leanings of a majority of the sport's fans, are they allowing spectators back to the races?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

How does a 6yo come to enjoy NASCAR and learn about these new drivers?  This is fantastic!

He loved everything cars and trucks since he was very small...probably 2.  One of his first words was "car."
    Last year when the pandemic hit I turned on the tube one weekend and they had a flashback race showing.  Whatever it was, it was wild.  I thought it was cool because it was a replay and I asked him if he wanted to watch.  Tony Stewart won (or, as my kid would say "the 14 car") in a race filled with crashes.
    It was, I believe, the first time he ever had seen a NASCAR race since neither my wife nor I watch.
    He asked me to record and then I recorded the races starting with the simulated ones.
    After about 3 races he knew all of the numbers and names and picked his favorites.
    11, 4, 14, 24, and 88.
    He is a total junkie now.  (I guess he picks drivers like @Wobbie picks football teams.)
    We donated money for our family monthly donation in December to Denny Hamlin's lead charity, CF, in honor of #11. 
    The kid doesn't wear #11 gear but I think it will only be a matter of time before he is asking for it.

Gonna take him to Poconos or Dover when they return to some normal activity.  Like a lot of kids he does not love loud noises so I will probably break him in on a qualifying day with some good earmuff things.
    My older brother used to live a short walk from a 1/4 mile track where small time racing went on.  When we head up to VT next time in the summer I am sure we will bring him there.  Show him the pits and all that.
  • Options
    Also, he was very sad when Hamlin lost in the championship race to end the year.  Thankfully, there were no tears!
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Considering that NASCAR is the US's largest spectator sport and the political leanings of a majority of the sport's fans, are they allowing spectators back to the races?

They did have a reduced number at some tracks last year but still have very restrictive policies for the drivers/teams.  They do not practice (or at least they didnt last year) which likely increased their risk of serious injury while cutting down their exposure to Covid.
    The simulated racing was more interesting to me (they did that for a bunch of weeks while they tried to determine how they could resume track racing with Covid) as the drivers smashed each other all of the time and were very aggressive since there was no personal injury risk.

No idea what they are doing for Daytona in 2 weeks.  Being FL, they might have folks in the stands.
  • Options
    dankind said:

They did have a reduced number at some tracks last year but still have very restrictive policies for the drivers/teams.  They do not practice (or at least they didnt last year) which likely increased their risk of serious injury while cutting down their exposure to Covid.
    The simulated racing was more interesting to me (they did that for a bunch of weeks while they tried to determine how they could resume track racing with Covid) as the drivers smashed each other all of the time and were very aggressive since there was no personal injury risk.

No idea what they are doing for Daytona in 2 weeks.  Being FL, they might have folks in the stands.
    My university was close to that track, so I've actually walked on it. One thing that you really can't see on television is how pitched the track is. I don't know if others are this way, but standing on the outside track, I felt about three stories higher than my friend on the inside track.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

My university was close to that track, so I've actually walked on it. One thing that you really can't see on television is how pitched the track is. I don't know if others are this way, but standing on the outside track, I felt about three stories higher than my friend on the inside track.

Yeah, others have the pitch but I have no idea which ones are more pitched vs. others.
    I would think it pretty cool to go and check out a legendary spot like that, up close.
    Have driven past it - and been in the city during the 24 hour race when you could hear that all night - but never into that particular race track.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Yeah, others have the pitch but I have no idea which ones are more pitched vs. others.
    I would think it pretty cool to go and check out a legendary spot like that, up close.
    Have driven past it - and been in the city during the 24 hour race when you could hear that all night - but never into that particular race track.
    I never saw a car race there, but we did see some motorcycle races during Bike Week a few times. Those people have got a screw loose.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I never saw a car race there, but we did see some motorcycle races during Bike Week a few times. Those people have got a screw loose.

All of those folks do.  Crazy - and a lot of the racers participate in all types of different races.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
      Hamlin won back to back Indy 500's 
    Daytona too.   ;)
    Ha! Typo, you know what I meant!!!
  • Options

He loved everything cars and trucks since he was very small...probably 2.  One of his first words was "car."
    Last year when the pandemic hit I turned on the tube one weekend and they had a flashback race showing.  Whatever it was, it was wild.  I thought it was cool because it was a replay and I asked him if he wanted to watch.  Tony Stewart won (or, as my kid would say "the 14 car") in a race filled with crashes.
    It was, I believe, the first time he ever had seen a NASCAR race since neither my wife nor I watch.
    He asked me to record and then I recorded the races starting with the simulated ones.
    After about 3 races he knew all of the numbers and names and picked his favorites.
    11, 4, 14, 24, and 88.
    He is a total junkie now.  (I guess he picks drivers like @Wobbie picks football teams.)
    We donated money for our family monthly donation in December to Denny Hamlin's lead charity, CF, in honor of #11. 
    The kid doesn't wear #11 gear but I think it will only be a matter of time before he is asking for it.

Gonna take him to Poconos or Dover when they return to some normal activity.  Like a lot of kids he does not love loud noises so I will probably break him in on a qualifying day with some good earmuff things.
    My older brother used to live a short walk from a 1/4 mile track where small time racing went on.  When we head up to VT next time in the summer I am sure we will bring him there.  Show him the pits and all that.
    88 is gone this year so he followed Bowman to the 48 and he also likes Byron.

Good kid, I like em already, lol!  He's a Hendrick guy!  Almost.
  • Options

11, 4, 14, 24, and 88.

88 is gone this year so he followed Bowman to the 48 and he also likes Byron.

Good kid, I like em already, lol!  He's a Hendrick guy!  Almost.
    Yeah he is making the move.
    He kind of understands the racing team setup - he is now gonna be a #23 fan as well, I am guessing.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,427
    How do people choose a car/driver to cheer for?
  • Options
    Not sure....I rooted for a guy who was an all time great and was retiring after the year, and he hadn't won a race in a while.  Seemed like a good dude to root for 
    My kid...not sure.  
    When my old man watched I know he picked one guy because his old boss was the team owner.  Not sure about the others ...tended to be the winning drivers.

• Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    How do people choose a car/driver to cheer for?
    I originally chose Jeff Gordon because he was HATED.  I always appreciated the people not for the masses.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    Isn't Daytona today? I haven't really been following NASCAR since Jr. and Gordon retired.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Isn't Daytona today? I haven't really been following NASCAR since Jr. and Gordon retired.
    Yes. 15 laps and a big crash then the rain came so it’s in delay.

They were doing a tribute to Dale Sr and I hear a song I recognize very well but said no, can’t be.

They used indifference during that segment and it fit really well with Michael Waltrip showing some serious emotion.
  • Options
    9pm race resumes!
  • Options
    McDowell caused the crash that gave him the win, Took out a good part of the drivers.

He ran into Keslowski whom took out Lugano.