Options

Is PJ a job or passion for the band?

bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
With the reduced touring schedule and lack of new music, it seems like a valid question.  I still prefer to think the latter.  I’ll let you experts weigh in...

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    Its still a passion. Some passions just dim a bit over time. especially when you find you new passions. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Well at my job I have to show up and put in 8 hours a day.
    At this point they could never pick up a guitar again and even their grandkids wouldn't have to find a real job.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited January 2018
    Is there a mixture of the two options?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    For some a job
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Passion -- none of these guys need to have a job & have not needed one for years.  They are set on $, which is why most people have jobs.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I’m sure it’s a mixture of both. I’m sure they all love music and making music, but obviously money will always be a factor. I’m sure they all have a lifestyle they have grown accustom to, which means, like all of us, the money needs to keep coming in to support it.  Good news is, they put their heart and souls into every single performance they ever put on so whatever their driving force is, it’s still an amazing experience for all of us. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

I would guess 40% passion, 30% charitable and 30% job.

• Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited January 2018
    It's fun but sometimes it's boring. Least that's my expert opinion

I imagine some fans hurt they're passion but inevitably it's fans that fuel it. 

I love this god forsaken place. 
    Post edited by Shyner on
  • Options
    jmug23 said:
    I’m sure it’s a mixture of both. I’m sure they all love music and making music, but obviously money will always be a factor. I’m sure they all have a lifestyle they have grown accustom to, which means, like all of us, the money needs to keep coming in to support it.  Good news is, they put their heart and souls into every single performance they ever put on so whatever their driving force is, it’s still an amazing experience for all of us. 
    Agreed!  They definitely perform with fire in their bellies.  
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Neither.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    I think it's a fun job for the band and Ed has the most fun with it, as shown by his buskering last year. They probably feel guilt to keep going now for the passionate fans more so than any passion on their end. 
  • Options
    ^ Ed does seem to be having a lot of fun at this stage of his career.  I would hope they still have passion for the creative process and enjoy performing together. I’m sure it’s tougher to find the sparks to write music after 25 years but hopefully they have the desire  and it’s not obligatory to keep the fans happy. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Stemming off your question.. Does anyone think they would ever definitively mark an album as their last? (Album can be replaced by tour too for conversations sake)
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    I'd hope not 
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited January 2018
    Great topic for discussion OP.....

I think music in general for all the members is the passion. Pearl Jam being their main gig but they all have side/solo projects that they work on. If you include all those, they’ve never really stopped working. In the beginning I’m sure it was pure passion that was the leading force for what they did. I believe it still is, but they’re at a more mature spot in their career. They all have families which I’m sure is their main focus. To be honest if they said at this point they will be disbanding, I’d be ok with it. I’d take that over them becoming a Rolling Stones or something. They’re 10 albums + b-sides is a body of work that has made them one of the greatest rock bands in history. If you think about it, how many bands can say they’re still together after this many years. Either they’ve broken up or members have died. Bands that were able to avoid that are rare. Only a few exist today. Is it better to put out album after album whether or not it’s even good? I want more Ed solo. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Great topic for discussion OP.....

I think music in general for all the members is the passion. Pearl Jam being their main gig but they all have side/solo projects that they work on. If you include all those, they’ve never really stopped working. In the beginning I’m sure it was pure passion that was the leading force for what they did. I believe it still is, but they’re at a more mature spot in their career. They all have families which I’m sure is their main focus. To be honest if they said at this point they will be disbanding, I’d be ok with it. I’d take that over them becoming a Rolling Stones or something. They’re 10 albums + b-sides is a body of work that has made them one of the greatest rock bands in history. If you think about it, how many bands can say they’re still together after this many years. Either they’ve broken up or members have died. Bands that were able to avoid that are rare. Only a few exist today. Is it better to put out album after album whether or not it’s even good? I want more Ed solo. 
    U2 is the main one that comes to mind...and R.E.M. put in their 30 years and decided to bow out gracefully.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Passion! That was easy. Next. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,156
    I think it's a passion, but they figured out how to keep it from feeling like a job.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I think it's a passion, but they figured out how to keep it from feeling like a job.
    By not touring much? ;)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Passion from the fans is what keeps bringing them back. 
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited January 2018
    PJNB said:
    Passion from the fans is what keeps bringing them back. 
    I think so too. I don’t want them to stop making music but if one day they decide the time has come, then let it be. I’d rather they be remembered for quality rather than quantity. They’ll never catch up to Neil anyway.  :)
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,156
    bbiggs said:
    Zod said:
    By not touring much? ;)
    Exactly.  
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Mike- passion
    matt- passion
    ed-both
    stone-no one will ever know
    jeff-both
    boom-passion

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    edited January 2018
    hihobibo said:
    I think it's a fun job for the band and Ed has the most fun with it, as shown by his buskering last year. They probably feel guilt to keep going now for the passionate fans more so than any passion on their end. 
    Seems likely that the more they allow their distance from each other (personal time), the more they enjoy doing it again. The venues are still packed, the fans sing along to half the songs (if not more), and there's genuine appreciation reciprocated at the shows.

I couldn't imagine holding a single job for that long, but they've found ways to keep it interesting for both us and themselves (i.e. setlists, recent full album shows, guest appearances, etc).

I'm happy with them doing what they need to do so they don't burn out or call it quits, good thing is there's hope for a busy 2018.

They haven't pulled the "last tour" BS, and I'd assume that's when it truly becomes a "job" for them.
    Post edited by tschav on
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Passion. These guys all have side projects that allow them to explore creative passion outside of PJ. Then when with PJ...damn the few shows they do play per year are on fire. You can’t put on shows that way without passion IMO. Watch Mike during Masters of War at Wrigley. Or Matt during MYM. These guys clearly have passion. 
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,476
    Are we bound out of obligation? Is that all we've got?

My passion for the band has decreased. They don't come around and see me as much as they used to, so I've started seeing other bands. I feel dirty.
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    music is their passion 
    pearl jam is their job 

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    its their job and theyre damn good at it though 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    It's a passion job.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM