Options

lets play on amazon and cheaper ie shipping and mp3 freebie

2»

Comments

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    igotid88 said:
    it's a free mp3 because you weren't paying for something extra.  It's like when you buy a can of soda and they give you a straw
    But the straw is not "free" if it's subsidized into the cost of the soda by the evil soda cartels!!! :lol:

Sorry - bored at work and stirring the pot for my own entertainment!
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    igotid88 said:
    it's a free mp3 because you weren't paying for something extra.  It's like when you buy a can of soda and they give you a straw
    Good point.  Imagine if there was a charge for straws!?!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    This brought up some old memories! Here's a question I've actually debated before about being free.
    Does In-n-Out charge for lettuce and tomato and pickles?

I think so. My friend says otherwise. Here's my argument. When you buy a hamburger (in in my case, a double-double) they do not charge extra for all the fixings, it whatever the price is listed. But if you request no tomato or lettuce, they take off a small amount of change, like 15 cents or something. So, a hamburger without tomato is cheaper than one with tomato, that means the tomato isnt free.

My friend argues that you pay the posted price with a tomato, so its free but you just get a "discount" without the toppings.

Who's right?!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:
    This brought up some old memories! Here's a question I've actually debated before about being free.
    Does In-n-Out charge for lettuce and tomato and pickles?

I think so. My friend says otherwise. Here's my argument. When you buy a hamburger (in in my case, a double-double) they do not charge extra for all the fixings, it whatever the price is listed. But if you request no tomato or lettuce, they take off a small amount of change, like 15 cents or something. So, a hamburger without tomato is cheaper than one with tomato, that means the tomato isnt free.

My friend argues that you pay the posted price with a tomato, so its free but you just get a "discount" without the toppings.

Who's right?!

if you get money off for not having it, you are right. 

I've never been to any restaurant, fast or otherwise, that takes money off if you take fewer toppings. weird. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Would people please stop repeating that Amazon is giving away FREE MP3s when ordering this from them?

If you have to pay for the vinyl, then it's INCLUDED in the total price, not FREE.

Just like when Amazon states free shipping for Prime members. It's not free when I pay a yearly fee...
    I don't even have Prime, because if I spend more than $30 is really IS free shipping from Amazon.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Amazon is on a quest to shut down as many various types of independent stores as possible.  I have been a fan of independent business for several decades and have worked for, with and owned independent businesses.  Guess what I think of Amazon? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    That's deep, but I don't recall too many places reducing the price of a burger because you asked them to hold something (like the
    brianlux said:
    Amazon is on a quest to shut down as many various types of independent stores as possible.  I have been a fan of independent business for several decades and have worked for, with and owned independent businesses.  Guess what I think of Amazon? 
    That's not wrong.  They've created a whole business model where they can sell stuff without having retail stores which saves them a bundle (which also means they can undercut all the retail stores).

The thing is there's a big range between Amazon and 10c.  Lots of other independent stores that are small, have a handful of staff, and ship their own stuff.    Most of which charge less for shipping than 10c.  It's like people think there's only Amazon with there free shipping and 10c with their mega expensive shipping.  Take Amazon out of it, and there's lots of smaller players who do it better than the 10c.

additional note:  10c is pretty good, and I mean no hostility, but out of all the the online retailers I use, the by far charge the most for shipping, and use the slowest method in which to ship.   I think it's criticism worth giving the 10c in hopes they can figure out how to improve it.
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    Zod said:
    That's deep, but I don't recall too many places reducing the price of a burger because you asked them to hold something (like the
    brianlux said:
    That's not wrong.  They've created a whole business model where they can sell stuff without having retail stores which saves them a bundle (which also means they can undercut all the retail stores).

The thing is there's a big range between Amazon and 10c.  Lots of other independent stores that are small, have a handful of staff, and ship their own stuff.    Most of which charge less for shipping than 10c.  It's like people think there's only Amazon with there free shipping and 10c with their mega expensive shipping.  Take Amazon out of it, and there's lots of smaller players who do it better than the 10c.

additional note:  10c is pretty good, and I mean no hostility, but out of all the the online retailers I use, the by far charge the most for shipping, and use the slowest method in which to ship.   I think it's criticism worth giving the 10c in hopes they can figure out how to improve it.
    Well said, I agree with this completely. It becomes a very easy decision when the price difference is $30+. I just can't justify spending that much more for slower service. Like others have said, if there was a chance at a variant or some bonus content, I absolutely would pay the difference but we don't know if this is an option and I don't want to pay $30 to find out.

In the end, the band are making money off the Amazon sales as well and the actual price of the record is pretty close between the two. It's the extremely inefficient shipping (both cost and time) that is the problem. They don't make profit from the shipping cost, it's just a poor decision to go with this provider which results in fewer sales throgh 10C.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    could 10c give us a mp3 with vinyl?obviously yes so why not and the shipping come on its well expensive
    danny d
  • Options
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:

What I dont get is why cant they be the cheapest on their own products?
    Reminds me when my wife and I traveled to PJ20 we visited some breweries and a distillery. We wanted a bottle from the distillery which was about $40 directly from the source. We checked online and found local stores selling the same thing for $25. Guess who we bought from? Makes no sense to me, if they can sell wholesale at a price where those retailers can turn a profit at $25, why would they at least not match that and pocket all of the $25?  Instead they lose business because people buy from the retailers instead, and they only get the wholesale price which is usually about half.

Seems like 10c likes to follow that same model. Forget shipping, why is Amazon and almost any other retailer, able to sell PJ products for less than what PJ does? This seems true with everything that is not 10c exclusive.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:

What I dont get is why cant they be the cheapest on their own products?
    Reminds me when my wife and I traveled to PJ20 we visited some breweries and a distillery. We wanted a bottle from the distillery which was about $40 directly from the source. We checked online and found local stores selling the same thing for $25. Guess who we bought from? Makes no sense to me, if they can sell wholesale at a price where those retailers can turn a profit at $25, why would they at least not match that and pocket all of the $25?  Instead they lose business because people buy from the retailers instead, and they only get the wholesale price which is usually about half.

Seems like 10c likes to follow that same model. Forget shipping, why is Amazon and almost any other retailer, able to sell PJ products for less than what PJ does? This seems true with everything that is not 10c exclusive.
    Because they sell it as a loss leader to hope people buy one or two more things in the shopping cart. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 840
    just noticed on amazon.ca priced jumped from $43 Cdn to 56Cdn.  Not sure why the big jump in price.

Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    Amazon has a policy if you buy a pre-order item and the price drops before the release, they give the partial refund. Its also super easy to cancel a preorder if something better pops up. So no reason to wait if you're debating about ordering, because something like that can happen and the price jumps.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mikesbri said:
    just noticed on amazon.ca priced jumped from $43 Cdn to 56Cdn.  Not sure why the big jump in price.

Lol! What a rip off. I'm going to wait until later, and I'll probably get it for under $40.
    The big jump in price is simply Amazon cashing in on the demand.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    PJ_Soul said:
    mikesbri said:

Lol! What a rip off. I'm going to wait until later, and I'll probably get it for under $40.
    I like the amazon preorder thing because it automatically gives you the lowest price that occurs between the day you ordered it and the release date.    I didn't know it had dropped from 43 to 35.99 but just checked my order and saw it was automatically lowered.    If I don't like the lowest price a few days before release I can cancel my order, but at least I get the advantage of a low blip before the release date :)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mikesbri said:

I like the amazon preorder thing because it automatically gives you the lowest price that occurs between the day you ordered it and the release date.    I didn't know it had dropped from 43 to 35.99 but just checked my order and saw it was automatically lowered.    If I don't like the lowest price a few days before release I can cancel my order, but at least I get the advantage of a low blip before the release date :)
    Sure, it's great that they charge you the lowest price between those times, but I find that the price usually tumbles on items like this a few months after the release date, which is, for me, worth the wait, unless it is a REALLY amazing release, which this is not (to me - if I'd been at the shows I would likely care more). TBH, if/when I purchase this, it will just be for the sake of completism. I mean, I would definitely spin it, but I'm not really excited about this given the fairly standard song selection, and when I've got all the Vault releases, which are full shows (or close enough to them - bummer about the current Vault though - too many songs cut off).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mikesbri said:

Sure, it's great that they charge you the lowest price between those times, but I find that the price usually tumbles on items like this a few months after the release date, which is, for me, worth the wait, unless it is a REALLY amazing release, which this is not (to me - if I'd been at the shows I would likely care more). TBH, if/when I purchase this, it will just be for the sake of completism. I mean, I would definitely spin it, but I'm not really excited about this given the fairly standard song selection, and when I've got all the Vault releases, which are full shows (or close enough to them - bummer about the current Vault though - too many songs cut off).
    Im like you, not excited and thinking of not purchasing.   The vault on the other hand of course.... plus the hip reissues are in my sights.  
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,820
    The thing that makes the biggest difference to me, is the mp3s you get through Amazon. People can argue whether they're "free" or not, but you GET them. So many bands provide a download code with their vinyl, and PJ has gotten away from that completely, which, to me, is very frustrating. The new QOTSA vinyl cost about $25 dollars, which included a double vinyl (with great sound), gatefold jacket, AND a download code. Same with the new War on Drugs record. Why is that so difficult? 

To be expected to purchase the vinyl, then purchase an additional download, is crazy to me. Amazon gives you the vinyl and the download, and yes, it is cheaper. However, if PJ offered the download, I'd be okay with paying the extra few bucks. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    pjpitt89 said:
    The thing that makes the biggest difference to me, is the mp3s you get through Amazon. People can argue whether they're "free" or not, but you GET them. So many bands provide a download code with their vinyl, and PJ has gotten away from that completely, which, to me, is very frustrating. The new QOTSA vinyl cost about $25 dollars, which included a double vinyl (with great sound), gatefold jacket, AND a download code. Same with the new War on Drugs record. Why is that so difficult? 

To be expected to purchase the vinyl, then purchase an additional download, is crazy to me. Amazon gives you the vinyl and the download, and yes, it is cheaper. However, if PJ offered the download, I'd be okay with paying the extra few bucks. 
    Exactly. I don't get it either. It's like they have some type of aversion to the MP3 download being included. It's frustrating because every other band seems to have figured it out
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    epieepie Posts: 290
    edited September 2017
    I decided to cancel my pre-order with 10C on this one as well and will order through Amazon.  However, I was told from 10C that the packaging for this version will be unique in some way so something for all to consider. No other details were provided but I was happy to get a response so I could make an informed decision.  Hope this helps others who might be on the fence.
    Post edited by epie on
    1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
    2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
    2016 - Fenway Park I and II
    2017 - HSCM (EV) Boston, MA
    2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
    2021 - Ohana Festival (EV/EV/PJ)
    2022 - EV (Beacon Theater II & Newark)
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,820
    epie said:
    I decided to cancel my pre-order with 10C on this one as well and will order through Amazon.  However, I was told from 10C that the packaging for this version will be unique in some way so something for all to consider. No other details were provided but I was happy to get a response so I could make an informed decision.  Hope this helps others who might be on the fence.
    After your post I went back to the shop and instantly noticed this, which is new since I ordered from 10c and I think new since the Amazon presale opened:

"Ten Club exclusive soft touch finish with gloss varnish packaging" 

So a soft touch finish and no digital download jacks the price up? If this is all, that's disappointing.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited September 2017
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:

No, selling on line is not wrong. Sure, as a business model it makes sense.  What is wrong in my opinion is that Bezos/Amazon has been very aggressive about not just selling stuff, but aggressively working to drive independent stores out of business so he can sell more stuff. 

If someone want to help add to Bezos' estimated net worth of 25 BILLION dollars, that's their business.  There's no law against it.  Trying to stay in business is my family and friends' business.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
    pjpitt89 said:
    epie said:
    After your post I went back to the shop and instantly noticed this, which is new since I ordered from 10c and I think new since the Amazon presale opened:

"Ten Club exclusive soft touch finish with gloss varnish packaging" 

So a soft touch finish and no digital download jacks the price up? If this is all, that's disappointing.
    If it's anything like the PJ Live at Third Man jacket, it feels EXTREMELY luxurious and I'd honestly pay the extra $10-$15 for it.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,936
    edited September 2017
    Is it still hard for people to find mp3s for free? I don't get why this is factoring in. It's gonna be streaming on release day and on top of that the full shows will be released a month and a half later. 
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Is it still hard for people to find mp3s for free? I don't get why this is factoring in. It's gonna be streaming on release day and on top of that the full shows will be released a month and a half later. 
    The only way I know of getting the mp3's for free is stealing, which I won't do.

Streaming doesn't help me at work or in my car. MP3's though, i can put anywhere and listen whenever or wherever I want. As far as wanting these mp3's - it's just to hold me over for the 6-7 weeks between the release of this project and the release of the official boots.
  • Options
    It's not really stealing if you bought the album. 
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    It's not that 10c is more expensive, it's the shipping! If I can ship 1 record anywhere in the US for $5-7 with tracking and insurance, then I would think 10c could do it for the same or cheaper since their whole operation involves shipping products. $12 to ship 1 record is kind of ridiculous, especially within the US if you ask me
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Have you seen my baseball?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    It's not really stealing if you bought the album. 
    Of course it's stealing. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore