Options

Finally getting some posters framed :)

ZodZod Posts: 10,117
Has anyone else not gotten around to getting posters professionally framed yet? I only have Seattle '98 framed because I bought it that way. I have a number of posters in shitty walmart frames, but nothing pro framed.

Brought in my Missoula '98, and Vancouver '98, and GNR Seattle '16 (I've decided everytime I bring in PJ posters I should bring in one non PJ one with it.. lol). Feels so weird to leave those posters in the trust of someone else. I get to pick them up in in a week. 49.95 for simple poster framing in a metal frame. No matting. Cardboard (or styrofoam) behind the poster. I was going to point out no drymounting but he said it before I could. He also mentioned they get a number of PJ posters and a BBQ restaurant down the road just had them do 4 posters. So I'll have to check that out.

I'm pretty stoked. If they turn out well I'll have to start getting more framed. I don't like all the ones from shows I've seen, but at least I can go through oldest to newest and continue to frame my more favourite ones. Seattle 2000, Gorge '05, Gorge '06 with the cliff. I'll have to pick between Soundgarden Gorge '11 or Vancouver '13. Probably Vancouver. The Gorge poster is cool, but you can't read it, so it's kind of useless as a concert poster.. lol. I like my Nine Inch Nails Vancouver '05 poster too....

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    I was hoping to go today seeing as its the last day for this Michaels coupon I have, but its looking like it wont happen. I've been dragging my feet to pick 2 posters for 3 years now. I only have space for 2 more posters in my office so i want to make sure I commit with ones I'm gonna love.

Pretty sure I'm bringing it East Troy/Chicago 98. I'd do my other one as a PJ poster, but I already have another PJ on the wall (Pitt 06), and I'd like variety.
  • Options
    Yah my '98's came first. My first PJ shows. Those posters are treasured. I'm putting my 3 '98's above the mantle in the living room. That's about as many as I can get away with putting in the living room.. lol.. maybe I can stash one behind the front.. door.. one of the brown gorge one's. The rest I'm putting up in my office which has nothing up now except the Amsterdam 2012 flag which I put up to cover some holes in the plaster where some shelving fell out of the wall... lol. So plenty of room. I've spend the afternoon sifting through most posters... so over the next few months I'll see how many it takes to fill the walls....
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    I have one poster.
    London 2013.
    Not a poster guy until I saw that one.
    Took me almost 2yrs to get it professionally framed and I don't know why.
    Best decision made and proudly displayed.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I just dropped off a poster from my 1st show ever (Wrigley '16) this week. So it didn't take me long I guess. I decided I'm going to get 1 poster from every show I attend (only shows I attend) and plan to frame each. I told my wife I'm committed to 1 show minimum per year, so it looks like I have some poster framing coming in the near future.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

I just dropped off a poster from my 1st show ever (Wrigley '16) this week. So it didn't take me long I guess. I decided I'm going to get 1 poster from every show I attend (only shows I attend) and plan to frame each. I told my wife I'm committed to 1 show minimum per year, so it looks like I have some poster framing coming in the near future.

Yah I backfilled some of the ones I didn't have, so I now have one for every show I've seen except shows that didn't have 'em (boise 2000, groundwork 2001). I even found a portland 2000 a few years back, and I didn't think there was one for that show.. so that was pretty sweet.

Some of the shows I've been too have less than stellar posters (vancouver 05, vancouver 11, seattle 02). Give space constraints, they'll probably remain hidden away :( There's some gems out there, and theres some bad ones. It's disappointing getting a bad one.. I suppose I don't help matters by buying them anyways.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited August 2018
    I have FINALLY taken my beloved Cincy '03 poster to Michael's for framing - my first time custom framing anything... and I am full of doubt and fear when it comes to my choices of frame and mattes. :lol: The colours on that poster are really tough to match, and I went with matching white for the main matte colour, and really hope that was the right choice. I don't get it back for 2 weeks; the anticipation will be tough, lol.
    I just happened to bring it in on a 50% off custom framing day, so I spent $310 on it... and was completely shocked to realize that it would have been $600 without the discount. :tired_face:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    I just buy a 18x24 frame and do it myself.  Maybe one day I’ll get a little fancier
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have FINALLY taken my beloved Cincy '03 poster to Michael's for framing - my first time Dustin framing anything... and I am full of doubt and fear when it comes to my choices of frame and mattes. :lol: The colours on that poster are really tough to match, and I went with matching white for the main matte colour, and really hope that was the right choice. I don't get it back for 2 weeks; the anticipation will be tough, lol.
    I just happened to bring it in on a 50% off custom framing day, so I spent $310 on it... and was completely shocked to realize that it would have been $600 without the discount. :tired_face:
    I don’t think you can pay full price at Michaels if you want to. If they ever have a day that’s not 50% off it’s because it’s 60% instead.
    I took my PJ20 poster there and didn’t realize, no matte just custom frame so it was about $100 or so. I haven’t checked, but I’ve been told since that they dry mount everything. I’m hoping since I didn’t do a mount that they didn’t do that to mine but I haven’t taken it off the wall to check.
    Since then I’ve decided the standard frames are good enough. You can get ones with their 50% off coupons (which always exist online) that look decent. Or get even better ones custom made online for pretty cheap that look great. That’s what I’ve done for the Denver 14 and Vegas 06 that are both long and skinny, or would do for any poster of more value. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited August 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have FINALLY taken my beloved Cincy '03 poster to Michael's for framing - my first time Dustin framing anything... and I am full of doubt and fear when it comes to my choices of frame and mattes. :lol: The colours on that poster are really tough to match, and I went with matching white for the main matte colour, and really hope that was the right choice. I don't get it back for 2 weeks; the anticipation will be tough, lol.
    I don’t think you can pay full price at Michaels if you want to. If they ever have a day that’s not 50% off it’s because it’s 60% instead.
    I took my PJ20 poster there and didn’t realize, no matte just custom frame so it was about $100 or so. I haven’t checked, but I’ve been told since that they dry mount everything. I’m hoping since I didn’t do a mount that they didn’t do that to mine but I haven’t taken it off the wall to check.
    Since then I’ve decided the standard frames are good enough. You can get ones with their 50% off coupons (which always exist online) that look decent. Or get even better ones custom made online for pretty cheap that look great. That’s what I’ve done for the Denver 14 and Vegas 06 that are both long and skinny, or would do for any poster of more value. 
    They definitely do not dry mount everything.
    It may depend on the specific store, but the people at the one I went to really, really knew their stuff and I have full faith in them and am glad I went there. They also actually give you a digital representation of your choices with the art, which is nice. She immediately recognized that it would be a collector frame job when she saw the poster, and when I did say something about obviously not wanting dry mounting, she scoffed at the very idea, kind of like "well duh, we're professionals and know that". But I really don't think any Michael's on the continent just automatically dry mounts in any case. Sounds like just a bad rumour. However, perhaps if you didn't specify, that person decided to do it to your poster. I imagine it is always best to discuss any custom job in complete detail before signing the thing (and that thing you sign to authorize the work should have what kind of mount you asked for listed BTW).

I really wanted something special, with 3 layers of matte with the first 2 layers raised, a frame that actually colour matches, and non-reflective glass. Standard framing wasn't an option for me on this. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2018
    Post pics of the Cincy when its ready

I have some ive given up on framing.  They’re just stored in the flat file until i sell them or give up the hobby. Lol.  Everytime i want to frame them i buy another one that i really need to frame immediately. 

-EV Minny 11 AP
    -PJ Berlin 10 AP
    -Camden 98
  • Options
    I'll have 3 more to bring in for framing at the Foo Fighters show next month.

QoTSA Victoria '18
    Pearl Jam Seattle '18 (the one that looks like a ticket stub)
    Foo Fighters Vancouver '18

Running out of room in the house to put them all :)
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Cool you can put them all over the house. They go in my office so i have limited space.  I have to be really picky about what to hang. 

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Cool you can put them all over the house. They go in my office so i have limited space.  I have to be really picky about what to hang. 

Yah, it's pretty awesome.  My wife like's going to shows too, so she's been to many of the ones I've had posters for.  We've go them in the living room, bedroom, office, and spare room.  We've even got a tragically hip one up in the kitchen/dining nook.   After I put up these 3 I'll be pretty tight for space.   I have a number of ones in poster tubes that won't get hung because they didn't make the cut.  The living room is mostly PJ (save one Soundgarden poster) but I've tried to mix it up around the rest of the house.  Tragically Hip, Soundgarden, AiC, Metallica, NIN, Tool, GnR, Smashing Pumpkins, ToTD, and Chris Cornell.  

The way I see it, is you may as well decorate your house with the things that mean something to you.  We love going to shows so it's mostly concert posters.   We tried to be grown up and put up a 3 picture set of a lake above the couch in the living room, but other than that, it's all concert posters (except for the mandatory supercars calendar in the kitchen).  The house definitely reflects us :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    ^^I completely agree. There is some pressure to decorate our houses like "adults" but what does that really mean...having a framed photo of the eiffel tower? Having some prints of artists that are more "mature"? Thankfully my wife is a massive PJ fan, so we have framed posters in our living room, kitchen, and now even a few in our 1 year old's room (one's with more kid/animal themes - Vancouver 2009 (moose), Sperry Sao Paulo (stars/jaguar)) - definitely no emeks in there!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    My concert posters are confined to our basement, and specifically to my den/work area. Not a chance I can place one on the main floor of our home, and I'm quite alright with that :)
    To each their own 
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    edited August 2018
    Do you all typically get the Masterpiece Glass from Michael's?  I recently picked up an 18x24 masterpiece and put it in a pre-purchased frame and am really happy with the way it looks, and the glare isn't bad.  Over 10 years ago I had a few professionally framed. I know the glass is UV protection, but the glare is so bad I'm thinking about redoing them with the masterpiece glass. 
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City