Options

merkinball: more vitalogy or more no code?

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
Two of pearl jam's best songs were released 21 years ago today pretty much smack tab in the middle of two albums. In your opinion, would "I got id" and "Long Road" fit better on vitalogy or no code? Or maybe something else perhaps?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    Great question. I lean more towards Vitalogy. No Code seemed to be a distinctive change of direction.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    No Code - no doubt
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Neil wrote most if not all of Mirrorball so I say neither.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Yeah but ed wrote the words/music to long road and I got id and wasn't really involved with mirrorball.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah but ed wrote the words/music to long road and I got id and wasn't really involved with mirrorball.
    Ah shit, ok I get it! Long Road seems more like it belongs on No Code, and Id does as well.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Ah shit, ok I get it! Long Road seems more like it belongs on No Code, and Id does as well.
    The teacher confused the professor!
  • Options
    I m also leaning I got id toward no code but long road to vitalogy.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    mcgruff10 said:

I m also leaning I got id toward no code but long road to vitalogy.

I'm on board with this
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I'd say No Code
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JB23237JB23237 Posts: 1,373
    I'd vote no code
    Alpine Valley East Troy WI 1998...United Center Chicago IL1998...All State Arena Rosemont IL 2000 (anybody have a spare poster)
    United Center Chicago IL 2003...Alpine Valley East Troy WI 2003...Toledo OH 2004...Marcus Amphitheater Milwaukee WI 2006
    United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 2 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2009
    PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 1 2011...PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 2 2011...Wrigley Field Chicago IL 2013...iWireless Center Moline IL 2014
    Bradley Center Milwaukee WI 2014...EV Auditorium Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...EV Chicago Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2011
    EV w/ PT celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre Rosemont IL 2015
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    No Code
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    This is an impossible question and it's giving me a headache to answer!
    Damn you OP!
  • Options

This is an impossible question and it's giving me a headache to answer!
    Damn you OP!

Lol. But what s your answer?!
  • Options
    im an earim an ear San Diego, CA Posts: 245
    No Code since Jack Irons plays drums on both.
    San Diego, CA - 10/25/00, San Diego, CA - 7/7/06, Los Angeles, CA - 7/9/06, San Diego, CA - 4/15/08 (EV), San Diego, CA - 10/9/09, San Diego, CA - 7/5/11 (EV), San Diego, CA - 11/21/13
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Could be a split down the middle...
    Long road with it's simple chord structure and mellow build up and basic emotions could be on Vitalogy.
    Id with its unique sound and complex grief fits more with No Code's theme.
    But I can't think straight. I'm in Canada and its starting to get cold!!!
    What I'd like to know is if "I Got Id" is considered a cover song when PJ plays it?
  • Options
    ...why would it be a cover? Ed wrote the music and lyrics to both.
  • Options
    Jbarker said:

Could be a split down the middle...
    Long road with it's simple chord structure and mellow build up and basic emotions could be on Vitalogy.
    Id with its unique sound and complex grief fits more with No Code's theme.
    But I can't think straight. I'm in Canada and its starting to get cold!!!
    What I'd like to know is if "I Got Id" is considered a cover song when PJ plays it?

Why would I got id be considered a cover? ed wrote the lyrics/music.
  • Options
    just since the impression I got was that as a companion piece to mirror ball and Neil and his peeps playing the studio version the formality felt like it was, I don't know, not a direct descendant. more just curious.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    I think both are firmly in the Vitalogy camp for me. The guitars and Ed's voice still lean more toward the work on that album. I feel like I Got ID is a companion piece to Immortality and Long Road fits well with Nothingman and Betterman.

Beautiful pieces of music.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    but I digest... it does say Pearl Jam clear as day on the front cover.
  • Options
    Just want to say that I love threads like this. All about the music, discussing the minutiae. I'd vote No Code, but it definitely was smack dab in the middle of what I would say is one of the most productive periods of creating great music by anyone in rock history (Ed, mid-90s).
  • Options
    I was in a Fuzzy Logic lecture once upon a time - it might have made more sense if they used Pearl Jam tunes in the examples.
    I say Merkinball fits closer to No Code and I Got Id is possibly my favourite Pearl Jam song.
  • Options

I was in a Fuzzy Logic lecture once upon a time - it might have made more sense if they used Pearl Jam tunes in the examples.
    I say Merkinball fits closer to No Code and I Got Id is possibly my favourite Pearl Jam song.

I got id is a song that needs to be played more often...maybe even every other show. To me it's one of pj's best songs.
    On the flip side we have long road which is my all time favorite pj song. Unfortunately I haven't seen this one live since 2011.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I got id is a song that needs to be played more often...maybe even every other show. To me it's one of pj's best songs.
    On the flip side we have long road which is my all time favorite pj song. Unfortunately I haven't seen this one live since 2011.
    I wanna live with my Cinnamon Girl...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Didn't ed say that "I got id" was inspired/borrowed from cinnamon girl?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:

both songs were recorded during the Mirrorball sessions with Neil Young on organ for Long Road and guitar for I Got Id... that's why the studio version of I Got Id is so damn amazing, you can hear that distinctive Neil guitar just burning all over the track

legend has it Neil told Eddie he was up to write a song for the sessions... Ed responded by saying "I got shit"... Neil said "great, that's the name of the track"... or something along those lines :)
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Don't know why but I've always associated these tracks with No Code (maybe Jack?). Neither have a Vitalogy feel at all to them. Also two of my favorites. I Got Shit is simply one of the best!

^^and yes mytwohands that is the correct story. Ed tells the story on a bootleg (can't remember which one)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    both are straight Mirrorball outtakes. but if you had to put them in PJ context.... they sound more like the NoCode b-side Dead Man.... so I guess I would say NoCode. def not Vitalogy. no relation.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Didn't ed say that "I got id" was inspired/borrowed from cinnamon girl?
    he mentioned in Winnipeg 2011 that he didn't realize until just a little while back that it's a total ripoff, and he was glad Neil didn't mind! And then they tagged I Got Shit with Cinnamon Girl. It was gorgeous.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I would say No Code for sure. Vitalogy is angry AF. No Code is more introspective, which I feel these two songs to be, both lyrically and melodically.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com