Options

Value of Yield Original Pressing

mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
Has the value of the original pressing of Yield gone up or down with the reissue??
Milwaukee 2014
MSG 2016 1&2
Wrigley 2016 1&2
Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
London 2018 1
Wrigley 2018 1&2
St. Louis 2020

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    No change I bet.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Problem down for the short term, but will regain the value in the long run. Original pressings usually hold their value well.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,689
    Macht nichts either way for me- no will I let mine go!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MedozK said:

Problem down for the short term, but will regain the value in the long run. Original pressings usually hold their value well.

Interesting. I didn't know OG pressings were always sought after.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    Priceless!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    mschostok said:

MedozK said:

Interesting. I didn't know OG pressings were always sought after.
    For collectors, yes. For people just wanting to spin a record...no.
  • Options
    sj9966sj9966 UK Posts: 55

Scranton 1992, Manchester 1 2012, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Wrigley 1 2016, Amsterdam 1 2018, Prague 2018, London 2 2018, EV Madrid 2019, Hyde Park 1 2022, Hyde Park 2 2022

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    The original presses "often" sound better than re-issues
  • Options
    sj9966 said:
    The price/value actually dropped for Yield a few months ago, before the re-issues were announced. I expect that they have bottomed out now though.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,143
    They'll always hold a pretty good value to collectors, reissues tend to be for someone who wants a copy on wax. The hardcore collector will usually seek out the originals and therefore among enthusiasts value is higher than represses
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

They'll always hold a pretty good value to collectors, reissues tend to be for someone who wants a copy on wax. The hardcore collector will usually seek out the originals and therefore among enthusiasts value is higher than represses

Makes sense.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Yeah, I don't think using eBay as the official barometer is accurate since there are tons of places that OPs are sold (i.e. Discogs, Amazon, etc,.)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Kind of disagree, ebay is accurate as a barometer as its the go to place for a lot of buyers, proper pictures and descriptions that no where else really matches although bidding sometimes inflates the value. I always feel if you buy from discogs its a bit more of a risk although I often do. More people are catching on to other sites but ebay still comes out top.
    I believe that although originals will always be desirable the value has dropped significantly. I dont believe people will be quite as willing to pay big bucks for an original when you can get a perfectly good reissue for $20.
    Unless most of the originals disappear from the market I cant see them fetching the big prices again.
  • Options
    Its probably the best time to buy the original if youve always wanted one.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited September 2016
    I got the '94 U.S pressing of Ten on ebay two months back for $40- it was in NM condition.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

Its probably the best time to buy the original if youve always wanted one.

Totally agree with this, but in a few years...all those with these reissues will want to compare to an original or have an original in their collection also. That is when the value will be back as it has been.

Just look at Beatle collectors..there are a ton of reissues, and the newest Mono reissues have had the best reviews of the bunch... however collectors will still pay a hefty sum for original pressings.

So if you want an original NOW is the time to buy. If you have have an original, don't sell it. :smirk:
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,143
    ^agree, I was thinking of all the Beatles stuff too. Wait another 20 years and the originals will be an even bigger deal.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

^agree, I was thinking of all the Beatles stuff too. Wait another 20 years and the originals will be an even bigger deal.

I know what you guys are saying, and Id love for mine to keep the high value but not totally convinced. I'm hunting around for other examples but it's a lot of leg work. I don't always think comparing the Beatles is a great example because maybe for some of us PJ are the Beatles of our time and there is no denying how collectible PJ merch and vinyl has become, however I don't believe PJ will ever be as big as the Beatles from a collector's point of view.

The Mellon Collie 3lp seems to have maintained its value but original sleeve design and track listing is probably a factor in that. I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion, I'd love to see examples of a band with more similarities to PJ. Age, popularity etc.

I don't think it will be impossible to sell an immaculate original for a high price, it will just be harder because there will be less people looking.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

I know what you guys are saying, and Id love for mine to keep the high value but not totally convinced. I'm hunting around for other examples but it's a lot of leg work. I don't always think comparing the Beatles is a great example because maybe for some of us PJ are the Beatles of our time and there is no denying how collectible PJ merch and vinyl has become, however I don't believe PJ will ever be as big as the Beatles from a collector's point of view.

The Mellon Collie 3lp seems to have maintained its value but original sleeve design and track listing is probably a factor in that. I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion, I'd love to see examples of a band with more similarities to PJ. Age, popularity etc.

I don't think it will be impossible to sell an immaculate original for a high price, it will just be harder because there will be less people looking.
    That's kind of my thinking and mainly why I started this thread, hoping to get others input. You'd think it's simple supply and demand, right?
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    There's a lot of records from the 90s that seem to sit on eBay etc. for years not shifting with the seller hoping to get that big price.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,117
    Yah you don't use buy it now as the measure of value as people ask insanely high prices. You look through completed auctions that were done via bid.

I do think that originals lose some value when new issues come out (or when the reissue is rumoured/announced). There's a lot of people content with the reissue, so I think the demand for the originals wane for a while. I've bought OP's that weren't reissued yet for $100ish dollars, but I've never paid that for anything that's been reissued (or even rumoured to be reissued). I'll only shell that out if I really think it's the only way.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

however I don't believe PJ will ever be as big as the Beatles from a collector's point of view.

Have you not seen these merch lines.. :lol:
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427

I think about this a lot. Not that they would be the same, they could be, but who knows. But I love the band, I love collecting and I think that someone like me when the Beatles were cool probably liked buying originals, sealed copies etc.... That would be a cool collection to see now, hopefully mine will be in twenty years too.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    photo image_zpszasf9puw.gif