Options

The Chicago meal plan for you out-of-towners

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    MK88178 said:

benjs said:

On my hit list is Arbor, Lou Malnati's, Frontera Grill, Au Cheval, Black Dog Gelato. Anyone have experience at any of these? Except Lou Malnati's - I know people have opinions about that one already!

All great choices
    MK - Have you done Arbor's Midwestern Omakase by any chance?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    edited August 2016
    benjs said:

MK88178 said:

benjs said:

On my hit list is Arbor, Lou Malnati's, Frontera Grill, Au Cheval, Black Dog Gelato. Anyone have experience at any of these? Except Lou Malnati's - I know people have opinions about that one already!

All great choices
    MK - Have you done Arbor's Midwestern Omakase by any chance?
    I haven't but thanks for putting that on my radar for places to try. Looks like a cool joint. Logan square has blown up over the past few years. Hard to keep up with all the new restaurants.

Funny side note that is in the spot a group I was apart of was going to open up a brewery.
    Post edited by MK88178 on
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229

cbbjr said:

MK88178 said:

Coming in Friday and staying down in the Loop area, as the wife and I have never been to Chicago. I'm a beer fiend, just checking to see of Howells and Hood is as good as some of the reviews I have read. I wouldn't mind trying to hit up Half Acre at some point as well.

Half Acre is great. Try checking out Revolution Brewing too....great brewery with so many good beers.
    Off color and Hopewell are great breweries as well.
    Is Sheffield's the best place to go near Wrigley to find those breweries and maybe Three Floyds or Pipeworks?
    PipeWorks and Three Floyds are probably the two that I will be looking most for when in Chicago. I am also a beer fiend and looking for spots that have predominately Midwest breweries on their tap list. I am coming from California and am not interested in places that are pushing mostly Cali and/or Colorado beers. From my research Local Option and Hop Leaf have the very strong tap lists.
    Local Option, 2 miles south of Wrigley has a nice looking tap list with 4-5 beer each from both Three Floyds and PipeWorks as well as some other good ones. I have not personally been there and can not speak on atmosphere but their tap list on line seems to be one the better ones I have found while looking up craft beer spots. Hop Leaf also has an impressive tap list which is 2 miles north of Wrigley

Check out Local Option Current Tap list:
    https://www.beermenus.com/places/1255-local-option

Thanks. A friend and I went to Hopleaf before one of the United Center shows in 2009. While I suppose that is eons ago in terms of craft beer, we liked it a great deal. Figured I would try something different this time, particularly since they haven't updated their list on beermenus in more than a month. Will put Local Option on my list.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    cbbjr said:

cbbjr said:

MK88178 said:

Coming in Friday and staying down in the Loop area, as the wife and I have never been to Chicago. I'm a beer fiend, just checking to see of Howells and Hood is as good as some of the reviews I have read. I wouldn't mind trying to hit up Half Acre at some point as well.

Half Acre is great. Try checking out Revolution Brewing too....great brewery with so many good beers.
    Is Sheffield's the best place to go near Wrigley to find those breweries and maybe Three Floyds or Pipeworks?
    PipeWorks and Three Floyds are probably the two that I will be looking most for when in Chicago. I am also a beer fiend and looking for spots that have predominately Midwest breweries on their tap list. I am coming from California and am not interested in places that are pushing mostly Cali and/or Colorado beers. From my research Local Option and Hop Leaf have the very strong tap lists.
    Local Option, 2 miles south of Wrigley has a nice looking tap list with 4-5 beer each from both Three Floyds and PipeWorks as well as some other good ones. I have not personally been there and can not speak on atmosphere but their tap list on line seems to be one the better ones I have found while looking up craft beer spots. Hop Leaf also has an impressive tap list which is 2 miles north of Wrigley

Thanks. A friend and I went to Hopleaf before one of the United Center shows in 2009. While I suppose that is eons ago in terms of craft beer, we liked it a great deal. Figured I would try something different this time, particularly since they haven't updated their list on beermenus in more than a month. Will put Local Option on my list.
    Local option- great choice / great beers
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,175

Breakfast: Wake up and go to the hotel lobby..Get a Bloody Mary

Lunch: Find a Portillos and get a Beef Sandwich, some Cheese Fries, and a Diet Coke

Dinner: Go to Lou Malnatis and get a Deep Dish Sausage..Wash it down with a pitcher of Beer.

Repeat this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Diet Coke? Lol
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    So I ask, who's gonna 'drop a Lou' this weekend? :mrgreen:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Whateva u do, don't miss Crisp. These are the best wings in the world. Twice fried. Cant say enough and I am NOT a chicken wing (peasant food, lol) fan. Sassy Seoul and Korean BBQ, they are full wings so eating more than 4 is tough but they heat up well in hotel micro after themunchies kick in after the show.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/crisp-chicago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UdUEwFH5pA
  • Options
    rssesq said:

Whateva u do, don't miss Crisp. These are the best wings in the world. Twice fried. Cant say enough and I am NOT a chicken wing (peasant food, lol) fan. Sassy Seoul and Korean BBQ, they are full wings so eating more than 4 is tough but they heat up well in hotel micro after themunchies kick in after the show.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/crisp-chicago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UdUEwFH5pA

Regrettably, us poor Canadians who don't want to make the no-fly list will be relying on the generosity of Chicagoans for munchie-inducers :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    #poorsgottaeat2
    lol
    just bring some of that half priced hydro u canucks enjoy
  • Options
    rssesq said:

#poorsgottaeat2
    lol
    just bring some of that half priced hydro u canucks enjoy

If I could I would! It always makes me so sad in America that you fine folks have to pay so much. We've had a recent influx of dispensaries popping up like weeds in Toronto, and even the $10/gram flat fee seems outrageous compared to the bulk pricing we regularly enjoy. That being said, it's great for pot connoisseurs.

EV
  • Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    Ew, all of that sounds gross. I love Pork and Mindy's.
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,175

Speedy, have you been to the Saved by the Bell pop-up restaurant? I think it's called Saved by the Max; I hear it's open thru the end of the month. I'm damn sure gonna try that out. And some Pequod's. And I need a replacement for Hot Doug's, too.

They serve Hot Doug's at Wrigley (near the bleachers)
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    stipe19 said:

Wow there is someplace to eat in Chicago. Thanks for the info. I was going to brown bag it

Awesome!
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options

Speedy, have you been to the Saved by the Bell pop-up restaurant? I think it's called Saved by the Max; I hear it's open thru the end of the month. I'm damn sure gonna try that out. And some Pequod's. And I need a replacement for Hot Doug's, too.

They serve Hot Doug's at Wrigley (near the bleachers)
    Really!? I thought Hot Doug's called it a day due to not wanting to raise the prices on their dogs! I went there ages ago and I still remember a duck sauterne sausage with a garlic aioli and foie gras wedges. Delicious.

EV
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

I would gladly go demo my intestines again and Drop A Lou this weekend but my family is visiting and I cannot make it to Wrigley this time. Will have to think of the last time there and the demolition of the Westin's toilet that happened after I was foolish enough to take on a personal deep dish pie and a many beers @ Lou's.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

I would gladly go demo my intestines again and Drop A Lou this weekend but my family is visiting and I cannot make it to Wrigley this time. Will have to think of the last time there and the demolition of the Westin's toilet that happened after I was foolish enough to take on a personal deep dish pie and a many beers @ Lou's.
    I hear the cleaning staff at the Westin are excellent! :sunglasses:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    They are not paid enough.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BrushdailyBrushdaily Marin County Posts: 184

If you want the BEST dessert in Chicago, you MUST get a Chocolate Shake at the Wiener Circle (not too far from Wrigley, a little over a mile south of the stadium). It's only available at night and it's $20, but I guarantee it will be the thickest chocolate shake you've ever had.

Agreed, it's an experience you will never forget I promise you that. PRO TIP...put your cell phones away
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

bbison said:

That's a start, but you're missing a Jumbo Polish with grilled onions, a big fat Gyros so overstuffed you have to pull 20 pieces of meat off before you can pick it up, a proper Chicago Hot Dog and I could go on.....

Wrigleyville Dogs
    About 50ft from Wrigley Field.
    You can purchase all the above.

I have a feeling this place will be busy over the weekend.

For Chicago dogs I'm somewhat partial to Superdawgs near the O'Hare airport. Excellent dogs and they even have the old school drive up/eat in your car experience!
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Also if you want a traditional sit down Chicago style Italian dinner you can't go wrong with Gene & Georgetti's. Decor is completely old school mafia style, food portions are extremely generous and the service has always been top notch.
  • Options
    any after dinner ideas for sunday night. Lively spots?
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905

Wicker Park
    Lincoln Park
    Wrigleyville
    Rush and Division

All these areas have a lot of bars that always have a crowd.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    MK88178 said:

cbbjr said:

cbbjr said:

MK88178 said:

Local option- great choice / great beers
    I second this recommendation for you. Finally made it to Local Option last month after a Cubs day game on my birthday. It's definitely way smaller than Hopleaf and seemed a little more laid back at least during the day, not sure what it's like at night. 3F Apocalypse Cow is great on tap and looks like they have a ton of other great stuff right now too.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    Kevinman said:

Wicker Park
    Lincoln Park
    Wrigleyville
    Rush and Division

OK so if I hop in an uber and say Wicker Park or Lincoln Park they will know where to go?
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160

Kevinman said:

Wicker Park
    Lincoln Park
    Wrigleyville
    Rush and Division

OK so if I hop in an uber and say Wicker Park or Lincoln Park they will know where to go?
    Need to be more specific than that, those are big areas.
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905

Kevinman said:

Wicker Park
    Lincoln Park
    Wrigleyville
    Rush and Division

Wicker Park.......either Milwaukee, Damen, and North(3 way intersection) or Division and Damen
    Lincoln Park......Lincoln and Halsted
    Wrigleyville........by the field
    Rush and Division....just say Rush and Division

Have fun.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    Anyone have a suggestion for a place to get food and a beer near Wrigley that we can get in and out of fairly quickly.
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    Had breakfast at Ann Sather and it was the best I have ever had!!!! Go eat there!!!
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Anyone recommend Flaco's Taco's?
  • Options
    BpageBpage Posts: 33
    What's the best hot dog place near wrigley?
    bpage