Options

Chicago Transit

theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
What's the best deal if me and my wife are just riding on the Red Line from Jackson to Addison round trip?
Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
STL 2014
Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

Comments

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    You're looking at, maybe $4.50 round trip per person? If you don't want to buy transit cards, a credit card with a chip might work as well.

Weekend passes won't work if you're thinking about Saturday and Monday only.
  • Options
    I'm sorry if I take over thread, but I have general Chicago travel questions. My fiancé and I are flying in/out of O'Hare and staying on the "Millennium Mile." Should we use cabs, uber, public transport like the L, or any other suggestions. Just want it to be safe for us especially to and from the airport with luggage and at night after the concerts. Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    The L is pretty safe. I don't know what your baggage situation is, but taking the L from Ohare may be your best bet because traffic to the city from the airport is usually pretty crazy. But if you have more than a bag each, just cab it downtown.

Taking the El from Millennium Park to Wrigley is a cheaper and time efficient option. It will be safe (but crowded) after the show. The Millennium park area and Wrigleyville are generally safe areas, you should be fine.
  • Options
    OP- get the Ventra app. Works for Metra trains to and from the city and the CTA L trains and busses. You can buy single use tix or ride packages right on your phone. How's that for free advertising?!

Earthquake-I believe your are staying on the Magnificent Mile. You can take the the Blue Line L train to Clark and Lake and walk or cab it to Michigan Ave. where I'm guessing your hotel is at. After that to and from the show you can pick whatever mode of transportation you want. Traffic will suck anyway you go about it.
  • Options
    glennb2112glennb2112 memphis Posts: 247
    The blue line can be located under the airport but not sure which terminal. Little tip for those taking the Blue line to Wrigley from O'hare, especially on Saturday. You do not have to transfer to the red line (might be packed due to the Air and Water show at the lakefront) You can get off at Addison and take the Bus (CTA) to the park.
  • Options
    Oh dear God, I forgot about the Air and Water show. :anguished:
  • Options
    glennb2112glennb2112 memphis Posts: 247

Yes its going to be a shit show.. That is another reason I doubt any pop up shops will be downtown. Rosemont would be better.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    If you are flying into ohare just follow the signs that say "trains to downtown" or "trains to city" it's on the way to baggage claim. You can't mess it up either way as the ohare trains only go downtown
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options

If you are flying into ohare just follow the signs that say "trains to downtown" or "trains to city" it's on the way to baggage claim. You can't mess it up either way as the ohare trains only go downtown

You'd be surprised at what people can actually mess up. But yes, it is relatively easy from O'Hare into the city.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744

I'm sorry if I take over thread, but I have general Chicago travel questions. My fiancé and I are flying in/out of O'Hare and staying on the "Millennium Mile." Should we use cabs, uber, public transport like the L, or any other suggestions. Just want it to be safe for us especially to and from the airport with luggage and at night after the concerts. Thanks for any advice.

I would suggest taking the blue line from O'hare to downtown. Cab or uber will be expensive and traffic on the Kennedy from O'hare to downtown is generally awful.....unless you're flying in late at night. As far as getting around the city, the el is a great option that won't cost you much and is safe and there are plenty of ubers/cabs all over if you want to go that route.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    Assume about $20 from Wrigley to downtown in a cab or Uber (with surge pricing). After shows you will be in a decent area to walk a few blocks away from the stadium to get a ride.

Red line to Addison drops you off next to Wrigley, plenty of stops downtown near hotels.

Definitely consider blue line (from O'Hare) or orange line (Midway) if you're flying to Chicago and need to get to a downtown hotel.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,365
    I just got 3 day unlimited Ventra pass....$20...good for trips back and forth from Wrigleyville to downtown esp on off day
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming and I will see you all soon!
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,175
    edited August 2016

Yup... Out-of-towners: have no fear if it sounds like you're suddenly in a war zone & about to be bombed. It's just the preparation for the Air & Water show.
    Post edited by LiteTheMatch on
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

What's the best deal if me and my wife are just riding on the Red Line from Jackson to Addison round trip?

Buy a one time pass for $3 each way, I believe. (Total would be $12 for you & your wife).

Alternately, you can buy a Ventra card at the station (one for you & one for your wife as you aren't allowed to share a card). Each card will cost $5.00 + $2.25 for the trip. Then, when you have time, go online & register the Ventra card. By registering, the $5 you paid turns into credit you can use for CTA train / bus fare. With this card, each time you enter a CTA turnstile it costs $2.25 (although you can also sometimes get a free transfer if you do it within a short period of time). (Total would be $14.50 for you & your wife, and you'd have some fare credit remaining.)

• Options

Buy a one time pass for $3 each way, I believe. (Total would be $12 for you & your wife).

Alternately, you can buy a Ventra card at the station (one for you & one for your wife as you aren't allowed to share a card). Each card will cost $5.00 + $2.25 for the trip. Then, when you have time, go online & register the Ventra card. By registering, the $5 you paid turns into credit you can use for CTA train / bus fare. With this card, each time you enter a CTA turnstile it costs $2.25 (although you can also sometimes get a free transfer if you do it within a short period of time). (Total would be $14.50 for you & your wife, and you'd have some fare credit remaining.)

One ventra card will work for the both of them. You just can't use it more than 7 riders at a time. Buy one card, put 20 bucks or so on it and you'll be good.
  • Options

One ventra card will work for the both of them. You just can't use it more than 7 riders at a time. Buy one card, put 20 bucks or so on it and you'll be good.
    Have you ever tried that? I thought the CTA doesn't allow passing your card back to another rider.
  • Options

Have you ever tried that? I thought the CTA doesn't allow passing your card back to another rider.
    I do it every time I ride with my wife or family. I stand at the turnstile and each member goes through until it's my turn, each time pacing the card in the reader.
  • Options
    Pass back always works up to 7 riders
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Hi, I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency on MLK Blvd, South Loop....any advice on best way to get back and forth to Wrigley?....should I purchase a Ventra pass for 3 days? And does the Red Line take me there directly and if so, how long am I looking at? Do the they run 24 hrs or would I have to look at an alternative way of getting back after the shows?.....any help would be greatly appreciated.....also doing Wilco Sunday so may need to know my options for that as well....thanks everyone
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options

Hi, I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency on MLK Blvd, South Loop....any advice on best way to get back and forth to Wrigley?....should I purchase a Ventra pass for 3 days? And does the Red Line take me there directly and if so, how long am I looking at? Do the they run 24 hrs or would I have to look at an alternative way of getting back after the shows?.....any help would be greatly appreciated.....also doing Wilco Sunday so may need to know my options for that as well....thanks everyone

Getting to Wrigley from your hotel:
    1.Get on the green line at Cermack-McCormick (take the one towards Harlem)
    2. Transfer to the Red line at Roosevelt (take red line train towards Howard)
    3. Get off at Addison and you are at Wrigley

Wilco Show is at millennium park Park (much easier)
    1.Get on the green line at Cermack-McCormick (take the one towards Harlem)
    2. get off at State/Lake and walk east and you are at the venue

CTA lines will run all night, the later it is the fewer the trains
  • Options
    Thanks for the help chitownp76, much appreciated!....just wondering if buying a Ventra pass for 3 days would be the way to go? How do those work exactly? I think I saw that you could purchase one and get unlimited access on the CTA lines for 3 days or something for $20.....going with a friend so would it be best for us to each purchase one or cheaper to pay as you go? Thanks again!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '14 Detroit
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744

Thanks for the help chitownp76, much appreciated!....just wondering if buying a Ventra pass for 3 days would be the way to go? How do those work exactly? I think I saw that you could purchase one and get unlimited access on the CTA lines for 3 days or something for $20.....going with a friend so would it be best for us to each purchase one or cheaper to pay as you go? Thanks again!

Depends how much you plan on using the CTA. It's $2.25 per ride, but I think they may charge you for an actual card. So if you'll be here for 3 days taking the el, it's prob worth it just to get the 3 day unlimited.
  • Options

Depends how much you plan on using the CTA. It's $2.25 per ride, but I think they may charge you for an actual card. So if you'll be here for 3 days taking the el, it's prob worth it just to get the 3 day unlimited.
    thanks for the help!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '14 Detroit
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I am landing at the midway airport and going to Days Inn on Diversey.... i see google maps says to take the orange line to the brown line BUT I am thinking of just paying for a shuttle since we will have luggage and who wants to lug that around on the CTA... Are the trains usually way crowded??
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Trains can be
    Lizard said:

I am landing at the midway airport and going to Days Inn on Diversey.... i see google maps says to take the orange line to the brown line BUT I am thinking of just paying for a shuttle since we will have luggage and who wants to lug that around on the CTA... Are the trains usually way crowded??

Definitely not during rush hour when the trains are crowded.
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    I'm also landing at midway Saturday early and want to go directly to wrigley bc my Airbnb is right in the neighborhood. I'm looking at CTA and it looks like I take the orange line out of midway to the Roosevelt station, transfer to the red line and continue to the Addison station. Says it takes over an hour. Is this right? I did this in 2013 too but don't remember it taking that long.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181

I don't think you can double up on an unlimited 3 day/7day card
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    edited August 2016

I'm also landing at midway Saturday early and want to go directly to wrigley bc my Airbnb is right in the neighborhood. I'm looking at CTA and it looks like I take the orange line out of midway to the Roosevelt station, transfer to the red line and continue to the Addison station. Says it takes over an hour. Is this right? I did this in 2013 too but don't remember it taking that long.

Keep in mind that Saturday is the air and water show in Chicago which brings up lots of people to the lakefront (about a mile SE of Wrigley) so the trains will be more crowded. About 1.5 to 2 million people attend the air and water show along the lakefront

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/08/19/chicago-air-water-show-attendance.html
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

Keep in mind that Saturday is the air and water show in Chicago which brings up lots of people to the lakefront (about a mile SE of Wrigley) so the trains will be more crowded. About 1.5 to 2 million people attend the air and water show along the lakefront

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/08/19/chicago-air-water-show-attendance.html
    Oh joy. I just realized that I'll be traveling right through that area. The change from orange to red at Roosevelt should be fun.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden