Options

Oceans not played in Chicago since 1994

And sadly it still won't be come this fall as I will be attending both Wrigley shows, making me 0 for 49. Sorry folks. :)

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    My wife can sympathize with this although not to the same degree. It is BY FAR the #1 song she wants to hear. She's been to 11 shows and hasn't seen it. The one show that I went to in 2010 where she didn't go, they played it (I'll NEVER live that down). We saw them in Lexington this year and they played it just before and a couple of times right after, but of course not at the show we went to.

We'll be at Wrigley for both shows too, so I agree that it won't be played.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    VedHeadVedHead Rockford,IL,USA Posts: 407
    edited May 2016
    Would love to hear it live... the only song from the first 5 albums that I haven't gotten. I've noticed they tend to play it when they are in coastal cities, henceforth I went to Ft L and Mia this year... but didn't get it. I will be at both Wrigley shows, but not expecting it! 17 shows and counting for me.
    I'm trying to think of a really good signature.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    It's the only song off Ten that I haven't heard live, and I'll be at both Wrigley shows. Let's hope they play it!
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    Sarava said:

It's the only song off Ten that I haven't heard live, and I'll be at both Wrigley shows. Let's hope they play it!

Same here... Can't believe Oceans has eluded me!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    1998 St.Louis opener. Has it opened since?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

I know it was the opener at WPB, FL on 06-11-2008.
  • Options

Columbia, SC this year as well.
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 912
    EM194007 said:

Columbia, SC this year as well.
    Totally caught off guard in Columbia. Great surprise. Great show. Gets a little overlooked being sandwhiched between Greenville and The NE shows. Great setlist, right up there in the top 3 of the tour.
  • Options

A bunch of times. Not always as the opener, but most of the time.
    http://pearljam.com/music/lyrics/all/all/20963/oceans
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    EM194007 said:

A bunch of times. Not always as the opener, but most of the time.
    http://pearljam.com/music/lyrics/all/all/20963/oceans
    Awesome!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Sarava said:

Same here... Can't believe Oceans has eluded me!
    me three. but no wrigley for me.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Hmm I would have not have thought that. I never check songs I have or have not heard..so they haven't played it since the regal theatre then?? I was there..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

It's opened 2010 Columbus, OH. That was the show where I got to see it, but my wife wasn't there and has been pissed ever since.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    jarkkonieminenjarkkonieminen Melbourne, Australia Posts: 126

Oceans has opened 20 times since St Louis '98.

Columbia 2016
    Rio 2015
    Vancouver 2013
    LA 2013
    Pensacola 2012
    Berlin 2012
    Columbus 2010
    West Palm 2008
    Honolulu 2006
    Santa Barbara 2006
    San Diego 2006
    London 2005
    Calgary 2005
    Mansfield 2003
    Nashville 2003
    Osaka 2003
    Woodlands 2000
    West Palm 2000
    East Rutherford 1998
    Greenville 1998

Pearl Jam
    1995: Melbourne #3
    1998: Melbourne 1,2 & 3
    2003: Sydney #1, Adelaide, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3
    2006: Melbourne #1
    2009: Melbourne
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Charlotte, Phoenix
    2014: Melbourne, Cincinnati, Memphis, Denver
    2016: Hampton, Columbia
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2
    EV
    2011: Brisbane #2
    2014: Melbourne 2 & 3
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    EM194007 said:

Yep, I was there. Awesome opener.
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

EM194007 said:

I was front row, Stones side. The 2nd night there in 98 was fun when they brought out the ping pong table.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

Ray J. T. said:

EM194007 said:

I was front row, Stones side. The 2nd night there in 98 was fun when they brought out the ping pong table.
    The times they have been here in south Florida have been extremely memorable.
  • Options
    There should be no reason in a 2 night run in Wrigley for this not to get played, especially with the fact that it has been 22+ years since it has been played in Ed's hometown. I really hope you get oceans either night. I hope you can scratch this off your bucket list as I hope to scratch Leash off of mine! Also 22+ years since played in Chicago and only played once might I add! So cheers to both of us getting these great songs in what I know is going to be one epic weekend by the band.
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

Cameo Theater back in April of 92 was a great show. Better then the August 92 Lollapolaza show at Bicentennial Park, IMO.
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    I was very shocked to hear it in Toronto this year. Also got it in Detroit, 14.
    I think with the two nights in Chicago you'll have a good chance to hear it.
    Fingers crossed for all of ya.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

Ray J. T. said:

Cameo Theater back in April of 92 was a great show. Better then the August 92 Lollapolaza show at Bicentennial Park, IMO.
    Cameo theatre would have been the show I would have loved to had been at more than any other show, but I was 12 years old! A huge fan at the time, but had no older brother or cousin that could have taken me. Lol. I would have gotten Leash there. I have seen the videos, epic fucking show.
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

Cameo theatre would have been the show I would have loved to had been at more than any other show, but I was 12 years old! A huge fan at the time, but had no older brother or cousin that could have taken me. Lol. I would have gotten Leash there. I have seen the videos, epic fucking show.

Yes, it was a great show in a little place. I hear ya on being only 12. I was already 22, so no age issue here. Those were the good old fun days of partying like nothing else. They were fun, but sure wish I'd been sober back then to really take in the shows, like I have since 99, when I quit drinking. Yes, Leash is a awesome song live. Hope you get to see it live sometime.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

Ray J. T. said:

Yes, it was a great show in a little place. I hear ya on being only 12. I was already 22, so no age issue here. Those were the good old fun days of partying like nothing else. They were fun, but sure wish I'd been sober back then to really take in the shows, like I have since 99, when I quit drinking. Yes, Leash is a awesome song live. Hope you get to see it live sometime.
    I have been to the club several times. I have actually thrown a couple parties there! So I know how intimate the place is. Which would have made it one of the most epic shows for me. Not to mention catching them in their prime. As for now, fingers crossed for Leash in Wrigley.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I was hoping for Oceans at MSG, but knew that wasn't happening when they played it both nights in Philly. Hopefully Chicago gets it this time around!
  • Options
    More CowbellMore Cowbell Posts: 174
    Ray J. T. said:

There should be no reason in a 2 night run in Wrigley for this not to get played, especially with the fact that it has been 22+ years since it has been played in Ed's hometown. I really hope you get oceans either night. I hope you can scratch this off your bucket list as I hope to scratch Leash off of mine! Also 22+ years since played in Chicago and only played once might I add! So cheers to both of us getting these great songs in what I know is going to be one epic weekend by the band.

Ray, I did see your separate Leash thread. Sounds like we need to combine efforts to get these two songs finally played again in Chicago after 22 years! A "troubled songs unite" petition!
  • Options
    joshualukin69joshualukin69 Indy Posts: 33
    "Oceans" and "Once" would fill out my Ten live album experience. IF they threw in "Wash" or "Just a Girl" (I'm totally dreaming on the latter) then my live would just be complete. :)
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '98
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '00
    Deer Creek, IN June, '03
    Deer Creek, IN May, '10
    US Bank, Cincy OH, Oct '14
    Rupp Arena, Lexington KY, April '16
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 20th
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 22nd

I need Hard to Imagine once, live, I'll do things I'm not proud of to make this happen ;)
  • Options

Ray J. T. said:

Ray, I did see your separate Leash thread. Sounds like we need to combine efforts to get these two songs finally played again in Chicago after 22 years! A "troubled songs unite" petition!
    I am in. Where do we sign? Hopefully we can both toast a drink in Chicago to celebrate each one of us getting our white whales.