Options

Greenville was far more historic than Vs being played

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
Examining the setlist, there were no songs from Ten played in the first 25 songs, that very well could be the first time in the
history of music that band did not play any songs from their best selling album (10 million or more copies) in the first 25 songs, and it is an amazing boot to listen to.

Comments

• Options
    ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    Anytime a setlist includes Rats it's badass.
  • Options

Yeah I love Rats and Leash as well
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    I just like that you don't have to go to NYC and Philly anymore to catch the "it" shows. They are all consistently good and consistently get the "did they just play that???" moments.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,775
    Can't wait to get my cd!! I ordered the minute it was available and don't have it yet. I really like to have the CDs from the shows I attended.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    only been to 9 shows, but the energy the band gave off that night, the looks on their faces . . . . unlike any I had been to.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I'm not sure that's historic.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Best show I've attended out of about 25 shows. Energy, bands performance etc. I know it's totally subjective, but by far my favorite show.
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    edited May 2016

Yeah I love Rats and Leash as well
    Couldn't Agree more. Now I just need to find a way to get Leash played in Wrigley this year. My biggest White Whale. I always miss this one by a show or two every year. Last song I need to complete the Vs album live. Go figure, Rats is less played than Leash, and I already have Rats live twice under my belt, and 0 on Leash.
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,507
    The town itself was terrific. Kudos to the band for playing there.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

I just like that you don't have to go to NYC and Philly anymore to catch the "it" shows. They are all consistently good and consistently get the "did they just play that???" moments.

completely agree...was listening to the Lexington show on the way to work this morning and that show was great in its own way...especially the crowd during Betterman and Baba Oreilly

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726

Examining the setlist, there were no songs from Ten played in the first 25 songs, that very well could be the first time in the
    history of music that band did not play any songs from their best selling album (10 million or more copies) in the first 25 songs, and it is an amazing boot to listen to.

They didn't play any songs from Ten at the 2002 Showbox gig that was on DVD. But I get your point: it's rare.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    malphurs72malphurs72 NC Piedmont Posts: 56
    edited May 2016
    Baltimore 2013-no Ten until song 27. Somehow these are my last 2 shows attended.
    Post edited by malphurs72 on
    98 Raleigh 03 Raleigh 06 Camden1 13 Baltimore 16 Greenville 16 Raleigh 16 Wrigley1 16 Wrigley2 18 Missoula 18 Wrigley1
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    Greenville was amazing all around. Never felt an energy from the crowd at a show like I did that night. Blood and Rats were my two highlights!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

They didn't play any songs from Ten at the 2002 Showbox gig that was on DVD. But I get your point: it's rare.
    Stupid me, I have that DVD too, lol
  • Options

Greenville was amazing all around. Never felt an energy from the crowd at a show like I did that night. Blood and Rats were my two highlights!

Also the last 4 songs of the night all had so much energy, each song felt like a show finale, the crowd kept getting louder and louder throughout the entire night, plus they played the long versions of Rearviewmirror and Porch, plus Nothingman, Present Tense and Breath were all great setlist additions, the band was stoked by the crowd, Eddie couldn't stop complementing them enough, my favorite boot from the last 3 years.
  • Options

Baltimore 2013-no Ten until song 27. Somehow these are my last 2 shows attended.

I somehow missed that bootleg, I am going to check it out now, but I bet Pearl Jam is the only band that does that
  • Options
    So it was at least the 3rd time they have done it, but if you think about it, that takes a lot of confidence from Ed and the band in the crowd, to say "hey we aren't going to play any songs from our most popular album in the first 25 songs of the setlist, but we have so many other kick-ass songs, that it won't matter". I can't imagine any other band that has had that popular of an album ever thinking about doing that, and that is why it is awesome being a fan of this band, because outside of festival shows, they rarely play it safe anymore.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387

So it was at least the 3rd time they have done it, but if you think about it, that takes a lot of confidence from Ed and the band in the crowd, to say "hey we aren't going to play any songs from our most popular album in the first 25 songs of the setlist, but we have so many other kick-ass songs, that it won't matter". I can't imagine any other band that has had that popular of an album ever thinking about doing that, and that is why it is awesome being a fan of this band, because outside of festival shows, they rarely play it safe anymore.

Bring on all the "unsafe" they got! I hope Greenville won't be the last historic show I attend.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    jason03jason03 N.C. Posts: 17
    I just wished all night as I sat there that Crazy Mary or Dirty Frank was next. It was a great show. I waited 25 years to see them, and happy with the 2 shows I went to, and wish I could see many more. I think they should play what they want. Obviously the crowd has some control of it as Eddie wants to please the crowd, but to a 25 year fan such as I, there are no bad songs. There are songs that may not play as well live as the recorded version, but unlike most groups, the opposite is true of PJ. Nearly all of my favorite songs are live bootlegs. I didn't get Crazy Mary at Columbia the next show either, but it was a great show too, and I can catch live Crazy Mary on youtube prolly. I will say when they covered Comfortably Numb in Greenville, I was in a trance.... great cover guys! I was blown away. Thank you Eddie Vedder and PJ for an unforgettable night after waiting 25 years, you guys have passion and heart un-ending.
    after 25 year wait: Greenville april 16th, 2016 and Columbia, SC on 21st. thanks for the memories PJ
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    jason03 said:

I just wished all night as I sat there that Crazy Mary or Dirty Frank was next. It was a great show. I waited 25 years to see them, and happy with the 2 shows I went to, and wish I could see many more. I think they should play what they want. Obviously the crowd has some control of it as Eddie wants to please the crowd, but to a 25 year fan such as I, there are no bad songs. There are songs that may not play as well live as the recorded version, but unlike most groups, the opposite is true of PJ. Nearly all of my favorite songs are live bootlegs. I didn't get Crazy Mary at Columbia the next show either, but it was a great show too, and I can catch live Crazy Mary on youtube prolly. I will say when they covered Comfortably Numb in Greenville, I was in a trance.... great cover guys! I was blown away. Thank you Eddie Vedder and PJ for an unforgettable night after waiting 25 years, you guys have passion and heart un-ending.

Awesome post, those were 2 amazing shows
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    edited May 2016
    I still can't believe how awesome that show was...and right in my backyard! I was happy enough to have them play where I live but then to put on a show like that was just mind blowing. Vs is when I really fell in love with the band...I remember my buddy had bought the cd that day and we were driving up to Univ Florida to party it up...I remember him reading the lyrics to me and just being so blown away by the depth and how the music and lyrics matched up so well.

Any time Ed comes out during the first song and says "Live from Greenville, it's saturday night" you know it is going to be on.

BTW, this is ironic but when Bruce played that arena he went to the same spot Ed did on the GA Pit barricade during Leash.

I knew Greenville would bring it! Such an awesome place to live...so glad I moved here 9 years ago:)
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options

Bring on all the "unsafe" they got! I hope Greenville won't be the last historic show I attend.
    Toronto I was not a safe show, playing Binaural in a big arena like that, was taking a big chance, but the crowd totally was into it, normally a show like that would have been in a much smaller arena, and that will only give Eddie more confidence to push the bar even further
  • Options
    mcrok said:

I still can't believe how awesome that show was...and right in my backyard! I was happy enough to have them play where I live but then to put on a show like that was just mind blowing. Vs is when I really fell in love with the band...I remember my buddy had bought the cd that day and we were driving up to Univ Florida to party it up...I remember him reading the lyrics to me and just being so blown away by the depth and how the music and lyrics matched up so well.

Any time Ed comes out during the first song and says "Live from Greenville, it's saturday night" you know it is going to be on.

BTW, this is ironic but when Bruce played that arena he went to the same spot Ed did on the GA Pit barricade during Leash.

I knew Greenville would bring it! Such an awesome place to live...so glad I moved here 9 years ago:)

I use to live in South Carolina, totally awesome people
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    That must make Ten in Philly prehistoric right
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options

That must make Ten in Philly prehistoric right

LOL
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    pjalive21 said:

completely agree...was listening to the Lexington show on the way to work this morning and that show was great in its own way...especially the crowd during Betterman and Baba Oreilly

The Lexington show was impressive.... Even Thumbing my Way there was certain points that the crowd was singing louder than Ed.... But Betterman, I guess maybe people are getting tired of "Save it for later" ....Seemed people were reluctant to sing along and Ed had to keep signaling for people to sing....
  • Options
    Finally got my Greenville cd. Finally have a moment alone in my car. Oh my. I LOVE bootlegs!! Funny how living in the moment in the concert really messes with one's ability to recall individual moments. Put that together with seeing multiple shows in a short time and the memories of individual shows are hard to sort from each other. (Or maybe I'm just getting old). Anyway, I remember at Greenville when Ed acknowledged record store day and then saying "let's play some records"... I thought we might be getting an album. Then go>>>animal happened and I thought maybe?? Then daughter started and I turned to my brother and we were both freaking out thinking of course they were going to play vs bc no f'n way would daughter be played in that spot otherwise. It was crazy thereafter. I was seriously in another world the entire night. Reliving it now is so unreal. I was fortunate to be rail directly in front of Stone too which was such a treat.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

Finally got my Greenville cd. Finally have a moment alone in my car. Oh my. I LOVE bootlegs!! Funny how living in the moment in the concert really messes with one's ability to recall individual moments. Put that together with seeing multiple shows in a short time and the memories of individual shows are hard to sort from each other. (Or maybe I'm just getting old). Anyway, I remember at Greenville when Ed acknowledged record store day and then saying "let's play some records"... I thought we might be getting an album. Then go>>>animal happened and I thought maybe?? Then daughter started and I turned to my brother and we were both freaking out thinking of course they were going to play vs bc no f'n way would daughter be played in that spot otherwise. It was crazy thereafter. I was seriously in another world the entire night. Reliving it now is so unreal. I was fortunate to be rail directly in front of Stone too which was such a treat.

The crowd was so loud too
  • Options

The crowd was so loud too
    I kept turning around in disbelief. Louder than Hartford 2013 maybe? Not sure bc my perspective was different for each show. Everyone around me in Greenville was completely immersed in the moment.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778

Haha, I must have been standing right behind you:) I was pretty much second from the rail in front of stone. Well actually a little to the right of stone. Epic night :)