Pearl Jam Art Of Do The Evolution Hardcover . 25th Anniversary of Music Video

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

I posted this earlier, but some are having trouble seeing it so I'm posting from the original source. I think if we were to remake the video today than this would be a great and timely image to include. I'm still trying to "figure" it out, but it's an ominous gut grabber for sure.

She knows when you've been good or bad...

• GIVE ME THE FUCKING BOOK
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • So death girl is symbolic of Santa? Missed that one, but I guess it makes sense.

• PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I feel at this point we've seen everything that is going to be in this book.  I'm good.   Good luck Joe....
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    Yeah, I may check this out if my library gets a copy.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    As long as my Amazon order doesn't get cancelled I'm getting it. I might not reorder if it got cancelled, it would depend on the price.
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Just catching up on this thread - great work @demetrios
    Nature drunk and High
    Spags said:
    Just catching up on this thread - great work @demetrios
    No problemo! :)

The design by Young Gi Yoon for the Monster City in the video. A city that is eating the planet". A majority of the concepts for images that went into the video were brainstormed by the video's director, Kevin Altieri. But I was able to get a number of my concepts into it, including this one.

Joe Pearson shared a link.

This film... This film is one of the most powerful and beautifully made animated fantasy films of all time. It's an epic fantasy movie easily on par with with Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. Produced, written, designed and directed by animation master, Hayao Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke is a fully adult story of an ancient world undergoing brutal changes as Man comes into the use of iron and technology and begins to exterminate the ancient animal gods of the forest. It's heart breaking, challenging and gorgeous and it deals with many of the same issues that Do the Evolution profiled. If you have a chance to catch it on the big screen on the 17th and 18th, go see it. It's a life changing experience.

• While I looove me some Miyazaki, this is a bit over the top. While the animation for "Do the Evolution" is awesome (hence the existence of this thread), to hint at is being on par with Miyazaki's work is a bit like comparing my vocal skills to Eddie's. I mean sure...we sing the same words and whatnot right? Maybe Pearson will find some Mononoke cels under his bed next.

You could also watch the Miyazaki film where the raccoons can turn their scrotums into things...can't recall the name though.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    demetrios said:
    He must have been in the attic and found a couple more boxes of doodles that need to be sold first. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Hopefully that date changes.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Christ how many more years we gotta wait.. 

Joe Pearson Thanks for posting this Jed. I was told by the publisher that they were going to miss the July SDCC deadline I was pushing for because their distributor Penguin/Random House wanted a wider Fall release. Looks like that's the way it is going.

Joe Pearson shared a link

This is an interesting short review of "Do the Evolution".

https://the-avocado.org/2019/11/24/night-thread-sings-in-the-choir/

All right everyone, here's the latest update on the publication of "Pearl Jam: The Art of Do the Evolution". I've been communicating this morning with the Editor-in-Chief of IDW, the book's publisher and here's what we e-mailed me...

"There’s no way at all to give a hard date this far out. I can tell you what I told you before, that the book is being released in Fall 2020. It may be September, it may be October. We’re working with Penguin Random House to lock down the best time to allow their sales teams to do what they to, to ensure it’s placed properly for holiday sales, and to work up other promotions around it. That’s 9-10 months away."

So that's the word. September or October of next year. That means we'll be missing a big release for next year's SDCC, but it does look pretty definitive that the book will finally get out in 2020.

Finger's crossed.

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    demetrios said:
    Hopefully that date changes.

At this point, you know it's going to change 2 or 3 more times. I suspect sometime around mid 2024 is when this will see the light of day. I think that this is currently my longest open Amazon order. :(
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/158982971331463/permalink/778078402755247/

Here's a viewer reaction video of the Do the Evolution video, by someone who is clearly an EFX animator. 

Here's a preview, Jim. The first couple of pages of the chapter on the edit at your Post House.

• lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    demetrios said:
    "......to ensure it’s placed properly for holiday sales, and to work up other promotions around it. That’s 9-10 months away."
    Other promotions? Wonder what that will entail. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

I'm sharing some footage of the Sea Shepard Society's heroic efforts to stop the savage annual Japanese slaughter of whales in the Antarctic Ocean. They are working to slow down and stop many of the terrible actions that we documented in the Do the Evolution video. They have been fighting for 40 years to slow the relentless "evolution" of our species towards planetary extinction and deserve any support you can give them.

Best wishes in the New Year to everyone in the Group. May it be a year of friendship, revelation, success, joy and compassion for us all and Mother Earth.

Here's Jim Mitchell's model sheet for the "harpooned whale" scene in the video. Kevin Altieri and I wanted this scene in Evolution as the slaughter of these intelligent and magnificent ocean mammals is a particularly evil act on Man's part. This winter illegal Japanese "research" ships churned through the pristine waters of the Antarctic, slaughtering whales by the hundreds.

After decades of massive international protests and confrontational actions by the heroes of The Sea Shepard Society, Japan is now going to restrict this loathsome practice to just its "territorial" waters and "only" butcher whales caught within 200 miles of its shores.

demetrios said:
    Here's Jim Mitchell's model sheet for the "harpooned whale" scene in the video. Kevin Altieri and I wanted this scene in Evolution as the slaughter of these intelligent and magnificent ocean mammals is a particularly evil act on Man's part. This winter illegal Japanese "research" ships churned through the pristine waters of the Antarctic, slaughtering whales by the hundreds.

After decades of massive international protests and confrontational actions by the heroes of The Sea Shepard Society, Japan is now going to restrict this loathsome practice to just its "territorial" waters and "only" butcher whales caught within 200 miles of its shores.

Joe Pearson Please consider writing protest letters, signing petitions and joining in anti-whaling movements and campaigns. Here's a link to a group dedicated to stopping the annual brutal slaughter of dolphins in Taiji, Japan. http://savedolphins.eii.org/campaigns/sjd/

Here's a cell set-up of our jolly Cro-Magnon's having a bit of a laugh. And one of the animation pencil drawings of the foreground Magnon.

Joe Pearson Here's the Cro Magnon cover we initially proposed for the upcoming book.