GA Line FT. Lauderdale (Camping out not allowed)

stevedsteved Posts: 651
edited April 2016 in The Porch
For the GA line in Ft. Lauderdale If the Venue has said camping out is not permitted which has been confirmed. Many people will have accumulated by the venue by the time the venue will allow lining up to start (was told a flexible 1pm). How will the most fair way be to determine where the line starts or who is first in line?

It has not been confirmed that the city of Sunrise will allow camping on the perimeter of the venue or across the street at the Sawgrass Mall. Most would not know how to find a group or respect that as the line.

Just curious if this has occurred in the past with other venues and what was done???
1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

Post edited by steved on

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    Relax & have some fun for those of us that can't go!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited April 2016
    I think that someone's past experience who might have encountered this issue could be helpful to those who have some questions of where to go and what to do upon arrival.

This way they can be more relaxed and not have to stress at all about things that should only be exciting and fun.

Super excited, just looking for some help with some info!
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    I'm not a big fan of being told to relax when I'm already relaxed :)

This is a legitimate question because as he says there will definitely be multiple people showing up possibly as early as Thursday evening and into early Friday morning.

At Deluna Fest 2012 which was GA I remember there was nobody lined up the night before. I stayed at a hotel right next to the stage area so I was able to check out the line situation the day of the show. People didn't start lining up until maybe 12pm I think gates were set to open Around 2pm or something.

Pittsburgh 2013 I had GA and I got there around 8am and I was about the 9th person there. First people told me they arrived around 5am.

Denver 2014 I had GA and I again stayed right by the venue. I went to the arena the day before just to see where the line would be starting. People were already starting to arrive around 4pm the day before, maybe 6 or 7 people were already there. I wasn't planning on lining up that early and didn't even think we were allowed to. I spoke to a guy who said he worked there I forget what his title was some kind of coordinator at the arena. He told me that there was a hockey game there that night (Colorado Avalanche) and that people would not be allowed to line up that night due to the people leaving the game when it was over. I found out later that night around 10pm people were already starting to line up with chairs. When I got to the venue the next morning around 6am, there were already about 50 people or so ahead of me.

Not sure how these venues will enforce their "no tents the night before" rule. I'm just gonna get to the cities the day before the show, check on the line every few hours and see what it's lookin like. If I have to get a hotel until the day of the show I will and if not I will bring my tent and camp out the night before, or as soon as I see other people forming a line.

I'm just excited these FL shows are finally here! Gonna be fun!
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    Situations like this I have seen the venue security or police give in to the constant flow of people trying to line up way before whatever time they said is ok. If you have a group then just send someone different up to try in stand in line every 30 minutes starting early until the one time you are not turned away. Pay attention in between runs from a spot you can see if people are getting turned away or not. Be ready to be fast because you won't be the only ones hovering around waiting to wait in line.
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• pjrusspjruss Posts: 451
    The problem with BB&T center is its unlike most other arenas in that there's a fence around the entire property. It's not like most arenas where you can just walk right up to it at any time.

That's what is causing the questions on what will be the procedure for this show.

Will they let people line up outside the gates (on a relatively busy road)? Will they let people line up across the street at the mall? If people just wait it out overnight in the mall parking lot, will it turn into a shitshow (I was here before you)? And, if venue/city is firm about not letting people lineup until 1pm Friday, how exactly will that work?

I was really hoping PJ management would've had all this worked out with the venue, but maybe they tried and venue wouldn't budge.

At least FtLauderdale is a great city to see rather than spend all night and day in line...
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    fugawzi said:

I

Denver 2014 I had GA and I again stayed right by the venue. I went to the arena the day before just to see where the line would be starting. People were already starting to arrive around 4pm the day before, maybe 6 or 7 people were already there. I wasn't planning on lining up that early and didn't even think we were allowed to. I spoke to a guy who said he worked there I forget what his title was some kind of coordinator at the arena. He told me that there was a hockey game there that night (Colorado Avalanche) and that people would not be allowed to line up that night due to the people leaving the game when it was over. I found out later that night around 10pm people were already starting to line up with chairs. When I got to the venue the next morning around 6am, there were already about 50 people or so ahead of me.

I really don't know if I should admire or think it's absolutely crazy to get in line 28 hours before a show starts. I know being up front is fun, but holy shit. That's crazy.

Have fun Florida peeps! Can't wait to start following these shows!

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527

fugawzi said:

I

I really don't know if I should admire or think it's absolutely crazy to get in line 28 hours before a show starts. I know being up front is fun, but holy shit. That's crazy.

Lining up 28 hours before a show is stupid. Let's call it what it is. That is people who think they are part of the band and friends with them. They obviously don't like themselves very much because they are willing to waste 28 hours of their time.

edited April 2016

fugawzi said:

I

Lining up 28 hours before a show is stupid. Let's call it what it is. That is people who think they are part of the band and friends with them. They obviously don't like themselves very much because they are willing to waste 28 hours of their time.

Instead of posting something that is nasty and mean why don't you possibly look at it a different way.. Camping out for us has always been a great bonding experience for my wife and I, an adventure, sort of a tailgating with the most dedicated fans that are also as excited as we are. I don't need to hit the coolest "pub" in town. I would rather meet people in line and talk about the show. It has nothing to do with thinking that we are part of the band and friends with them. Or that we obviously don't like ourselves very much. I in no way look at as a waste of time.

Dude my life is golden.. And I love myself..I'm pretty sure I don't currently play in Pearl Jam, and have only met a couple of the guys briefly so I would definitely not call us friends.

I would say you should be careful at how you judge people and how they prefer to spend their time and what they find to be fun. What appeals to you may not appeal to others and vice versa.
    Post edited by steved on

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816

fugawzi said:

I

totally agree with you. even if you are in the back of ga you are still closer than 95% of the crowd.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,336
    I've slept on the parking lot...on the asphalt...at Aloha Stadium for U2 closer of Vertigo tour which PJ opened in 2006. Didn't plan on it but when we went out to arena night before to "check the situation" there were already peeps with chairs...sooooo, without any pre- planning decided to stay. And what did I get for my effort? Eddie handed me the wine bottle and I got a drink...no one else! It was a terrible night, no sleep , but a rail spot for that show was worth it. Thank goodness one of our group who didn't sleep out brought change of clothes for show day.
    Moral of story? Do what you feel...have no regrets. I am now happy to stand in the back of GA most shows.
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    edited April 2016
    You peeps are CRAZY and I mean that in a good way. I admire your passion. Back of the pit is perfect for me. Close enough to feel all of the energy but far enough back for the sound to be perfect and to avoid that McCready stare that searches my soul and scares the shit out of me. Lol
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    Really though, people do it so they can be close to the stage. That's what it comes down to. And that's totally fine. But all the stuff about connecting with dedicated fans and talking about the show can be done while sitting in a bar/restaurant, tailgating in the parking lot, walking around the city/venue. I've had the chance to be up front a couple times and yes, it's a great experience. I just can't justify spending that much time in a line. But all the power to those that do!
    edited April 2016

Really though, people do it so they can be close to the stage. That's what it comes down to. And that's totally fine. But all the stuff about connecting with dedicated fans and talking about the show can be done while sitting in a bar/restaurant, tailgating in the parking lot, walking around the city/venue. I've had the chance to be up front a couple times and yes, it's a great experience. I just can't justify spending that much time in a line. But all the power to those that do!

I absolutely agree with what you just wrote.. All of these things CAN be done in all of those places.. My point was in defense of this statement:

"Lining up 28 hours before a show is stupid. Let's call it what it is. That is people who think they are part of the band and friends with them. They obviously don't like themselves very much because they are willing to waste 28 hours of their time."

How is sitting in a chair hanging out talking to new friends , YES TO GET A CLOSE SPOT IN THE FRONT, something that is some terrible nightmarish thing that makes you a loser... Whether you do it in a pub, the parking lot, or in the front of the venue to me that is something I look forward to, and not something I have to endure. If others feel the same they should do it, if they feel differently maybe they shouldn't. Either way, my experience is my own and yours is yours. Lets all have fun.

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,991

This! I couldn't imagine going to a city and lining up all day. There's not a lot of people on the floor; plenty of room.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2016
    Personally, I think that you are a lil too worried about the GA line and people and all that. However, if standing/sitting . . . with fellow fans for a day + outside in a line works for you, have at it. Last I checked, you are hurting no one. We may think that y'all are crazy, but if it works for you, go forth and have a great time! It truly isn't impacting anyone in a negative way if you wait. Who cares? How is it for me to tell you how to go and spend your time? I will tell you this, go, have a GREAT TIME and enjoy! :rock_on:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,633
    Line is only 4 people right now

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    To be completely honest, I don't like talking pearl jam to other fans that i dont really know, especially the day of a show... besides some small talk in passing

Weird, I know
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

fugawzi said:

I

Being on the rail for a show is most definitely not stupid and some people will do what it takes to get there. Front row at a show of the band that you love is everything, it's the experience I want at every single show. It's obviously not always possible so if I have a shot, I'm going to take it. I may be running out of stamina for the rail though since people seem to be going earlier and earlier, however there's more that goes into it than the superficial reasons that you think people do it for. You don't have to understand it, but to make a blanket statment and declare that is stupid is, well, stupid.

@steved as to your original question. You are going to need a lot of patience, and negotiating with folks who are there. Everyone's going to have their own version of what's fair and each show is going to be different depending on the dynamics of the people who show up to queue up. In Oakland 2013, a line formed outside the venue gates for people who drove there because the guards were not letting cars in until the afternoon, I believe 1PM, and another line formed right outside the actual arena by people who took the BART early morning because they arrived using a different entrance. No one's fault, we just didn't know. We ended up merging the lines by alternating people from each line. It was pretty peaceful with no fighting. Similar thing happened at Wrigley where people started lines at multiple entrances because security was giving us inaccurate information. In both those instances, someone stepped up to "lead" and everyone followed. There have been other times when someone tried to facilitate and they were told to F off.

Berlin 2014 was much less civilized, the initial line was a bit away from actual entry, I can't remember why. Others arriving later were able to go right to the gate and started another line. People in the original line were basically told to F off. There were also crowds of people who walked past me when I was finally more or less in line by where the GA entry was, and jumped into line ahead of me and were total dicks about it. It was very unpleasant. There was a snafu in Vienna too where we were told to leave the venue by securyti, and some other people who didn't know showed up and started queuing and for some reason security was cool with that. The original people who were in line who were told to leave returned to see these people and were dicks to the 4 people who started another queue. Unnecessary, really.

When you line up early for GA, it means you want to get very close to the stage, probably rail. If that's not your motivation, I would say not to bother. It's stressful and unpredictable and you just have to be prepared to roll with it. It's worth it in the end if you get to the rail, but it's not a guarantee, and I'd be lying if I said the entire process is enjoyable. What I do find enjoyable is hanging out with like-minded people in line. I don't drink much (or at all, really) so hanging out in a bar before a show doesn't really do anything for me. Seems like hanging on in the GA line is as good as a pre-party as anything else!

If you decide to go for it, you just have to expect that things are going to go wrong and hope for the best. And don't get too stressed out or take it all too seriously. Otherwise, you will end up being miserable and you don't want to be miserable at a Pearl Jam show. Good luck :)
    Suziemay
    Thanks for your insights.. I camped in Mexico City 15' and was rail and have been to around 60 shows many of them GA, most in the 90's. So I am not new to the game but truly appreciate your experience on this. My wife and I took a couple years off from touring when we had our daughter after Vancouver 2011'. I have always enjoyed the pre-show experience even in the early days, it felt as if you "earned your spot" and the excitement when the lights went down always made it worthwhile. I have always had a very low FC number and so has my wife. We def preferred the GA experience and the energy and anticipation rather than showing up 10 minutes before the show.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:

Personally, I think that you are a lil too worried about the GA line and people and all that. However, if standing/sitting . . . with fellow fans for a day + outside in a line works for you, have at it. Last I checked, you are hurting no one. We may think that y'all are crazy, but if it works for you, go forth and have a great time! It truly isn't impacting anyone in a negative way if you wait. Who cares? How is it for me to tell you how to go and spend your time? I will tell you this, go, have a GREAT TIME and enjoy! :rock_on:

:) - from one who has no desire to be in the midst of the pit anyway! Great mindset.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Simple solution to the no lining up early and mess when the line starts. Bring a sharpie with you and write the order on people's hands as they show up.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2016
    If you're not allowed to line up 'til 1pm (flexible), then roll up at noon and scope the situation out, and get ready to get in line... Or, show up hours earlier, and loiter but keep moving.

The great thing about the Lightning Bolt era PJ GA is you can show up an hour before doors and still be rockin out in the 3rd row.

do what you're comfortable with.

Don't buy into the "list" what ever you do.
    "Called it" stopped entitling you to shit in 2nd grade....
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Simple solution to the no lining up early and mess when the line starts. Bring a sharpie with you and write the order on people's hands as they show up.

Now, now Ani . . . :nuh_uh:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2016
    I've had great times hanging out in line. And if your 5'5" or shorter you see squat if not on rail yet in GA. Sucks being short and crammed between drinking sweating drunkards.

To each they're own and sure the naysayers do some "stupid" shit as well, like spending hours on fan boy message board and bragging about low member number. :) All good folks.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Agree.

Hint: use a gold sharpie and write "2" on your hand. Others will use black, you can say gold is the official line. Writing "1" just seems too obvious
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,633
    edited April 2016

Post edited by Indifference on

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

I see I've been getting some pushback on my "stupid" comment. Let me clarify:

Lining up 28 hours before a show to get front row is stupid.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited April 2016

This is the MOST tried and true method but use a list too as backup in case someone like this Empty guy shows up and tries to cut in line.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

In addition to what Suziemay mentioned about Oakland 2013, folks who began lining up for this show on the outside perimeter of the arena used the sharpie tactic as a way to confirm your place in line. The first few people who were in line actually camped out on the street the night before, something I would never do...especially in Oakland. I got to the arena around 7am the day of the show I was about the 50th person in the line and while it made for a long day being on the rail made it all worth it.
    I heard stories about people going to South America and camping out at the venue overnight. You go to these beautiful, far off places and sit in a parking lot for 24 hours? Madness.