Options

pearl jam is real music you must check this guy out

foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
went to see steve wilson last night at massey hall in toronto. no snow storm should ever stop one from witnessing this brilliant musical masterpiece. he has been compared to pink floyd , but has bits of rush and even yes. he played hand cannot erase in its entirety with full visuals . this is one of the sleeper shows of the year. this is not a rock out show but a listening show which everyone did and hung on to each note. he is coming to the beacon theatre in n.y. and the vic theatre in chicago for 2 nights. he is not a mainstream artist but this was a treat. you will not be disappointed. the female vocalist he brought along was absolutely fantastic. check out his website and and see the video for routine. that is a small part of the show. his guitar link takes you to a brilliant cover of david bowies space odity.

Comments

• Options
    Wat
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    edited March 2016
    He's the new Pink Floyd.....sure
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    i dunno foodboy u lost me when you said "real music"
    besides...the real music in TO last night was not at massey hall
    roger is 72 years old for crying out loud!
    ain't no more real than that
  • Options
    roger is old and done. steve wilson was unbelievable. when i saw the who last in hamilton 2 years ago it was pathetic. simon townsend singing both roger and petes parts. roger off key. i said never again. saw the real who in 75 and 76 and all the way through up until 2 years ago. today's version is extremely pale in comparison. steve wilson was fricking off the charts great. i know my music, but personal taste is up to each person. i had never heard the music i went to see that night , which is why it completely blew me away.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    http://www.talwilkenfeld.com/
    opened up for the who
    you want good music?
    there ya go!
  • Options
    thanks for the heads up. i will check him out. but really check out steve wilson. go to his site and check out his video of routine. it was part of thee first half of the show. also if you click on the article of his custom guitar he does a tribute to david bowie which was really good. enjoy and thanks again
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    The guy from Porcupine Tree right?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited March 2016
    WOW AMAZING TO SEE ANOTHER BIG STEVEN WILSON FAN!!!

THE GUY IS A COMPLETE GENIUS!!! NOT ONLY DOES HE MAKE INCREDIBLE MUSIC BUT PRODUCES THE BEST SOUNDING ALBUMS I'VE EVER HEARD AND HE SUCH AN AMAZING HUMAN BEING! HE'S A VEGGIE BUT ALSO LOVE HIS ONSTAGE BANTER AND TRUTH.

I uploaded this nugget. Everything he says I just seem to agree with so much:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdE34EMbQ1Q
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,736

The guy from Porcupine Tree right?

Yes. One of my favorite tunes by them is "Arriving somewhere but not here." My bro is a huge fan of them & Steve's solo work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbWhpfXisZw
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    I wish they would release Deadwing on vinyl. That album is amazing.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited March 2016
    This is one of the best songs ever written - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfY86cktN0. The last 5 minutes 30 secs is one of the best passages of music I've ever heard.
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    Gavin Harrison, and this is in no way a slight to Mr. Cameron, but that dude is the best drummer in the world right now. IMHO of course.
  • Options
    who ever shot this clip didn't do the band any favors. pink flloyd was about effects and visuals unless your thing was to watch gilmour play guitar. best seats for flloyd were 28 to 40 rows back. this clip needed to show more of the screens. their playing yet great is secondary to their shows.
  • Options
    too bad porcupine tree split up. my friend is a concert promoter and asked me if they could fill a certain hall. id didn't think they could as they get no air play any where. i did advise that they should play a big festival and go on late at night and the people would just freak. all things kicking in and being at an unbelievable visual show with great music in an open sky and dark out.
  • Options
    this tour IS KILLER GOOD. even if you really don't know them you will come out being blown away. every one hung on every note. concept album with visuals. AMAZING NIGHT.
  • Options
    tickets are not expensive and you don't want to sit close. i was in first balcony center second row. perfect place
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    They are trying, good for them
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Hey...another Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree fan here...!!! :bow:

If you like this go and check out ANATHEMA!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Brisk. said:

THE GUY IS A COMPLETE GENIUS!!! NOT ONLY DOES HE MAKE INCREDIBLE MUSIC BUT PRODUCES THE BEST SOUNDING ALBUMS I'VE EVER HEARD AND HE SUCH AN AMAZING HUMAN BEING! HE'S A VEGGIE BUT ALSO LOVE HIS ONSTAGE BANTER AND TRUTH.

I uploaded this nugget. Everything he says I just seem to agree with so much:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdE34EMbQ1Q

Not the clip that is going to make me a fan. I'm into melancholy music myself. Depressing songs can often move, motivate or tingle my spin. But some people like happy music. My wife likes happy music. I love my wife like nobody else. She loves me too, despite my melancholy. So we don't listen to the same music all the time. No problem.

People who put down any kind of music, even music I do not share a liking for, do little or nothing to draw me to them or there work. Until this young man learns the fine virtue of humility, I'll pass.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    to each his own i say, but you are really missing something special with this tour.
  • Options
    by the way steve wilson is re mastering jethro tull's aqualung. he is well respected in that arena.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

Brisk. said:

Not the clip that is going to make me a fan. I'm into melancholy music myself. Depressing songs can often move, motivate or tingle my spin. But some people like happy music. My wife likes happy music. I love my wife like nobody else. She loves me too, despite my melancholy. So we don't listen to the same music all the time. No problem.

People who put down any kind of music, even music I do not share a liking for, do little or nothing to draw me to them or there work. Until this young man learns the fine virtue of humility, I'll pass.
    Happy songs (or poems) simple do not have an equal capacity to reach into your core and grip the deepest parts of you.
    For some reason people share grief much more easily than joy, and music is no exception.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    foodboy said:

to each his own i say, but you are really missing something special with this tour.

I don't like his attitude toward others music but I'll give him a listen. Maybe you can post a link of something you find represents the best of his work.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    the guy is a true artist. those are his feelings. he also went on at the show to talk about how with david bowies death is the end of mainstream artists that didn't release mainstream music. check out his website and watch the routine video. as well click on his guitar info and that will give you his video for his tribute to david bowie doing space oddity
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2016
    Wonder if this is what I sound like when I talk to people about Vedder?
  • Options
    i had seen porcupine tree before and wasn't sure about this show. but my friend reminded me about the show and told me i would like it as it would be very visual. the same way i am trying to tell others. i am not all consumed by this artist or any other as you may be with vedder. i am not preaching. just simply alerting those with an open mind to new experiences that if they can see this guy to see him. he doesn't come around all the time and i hadn't even heard the album he played in full . but it was truly something i will never forget and this is coming from someone who has been going to concerts since 1973. literally many hundreds of all kinds of shows.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I dig some PT and his first solo album was cool, and some really surprising influences. Big time CSNY vibe to a lot of the tunes, but much more advanced on a technical level.

Haven't checked them out, but his King Crimson and Jethro Tull remasters get a lot of praise.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Gavin's probably the best drummer I can name. Every time I listen to him play the drums I'm just blown away. Every time
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    His show at the Vic tonight was cancelled.

“Unfortunately, due to health issues I have with great reluctance cancelled my show in Chicago at the Vic Theatre tomorrow night. Having battled against a severe virus through the previous 3 shows, reaching a low point last night at the Beacon Theater in New York where I was struggling to speak let alone sing (a big thank you to Ninet and Dave K for stepping in to save the day!), I have been told by the doctor that I require 48 hours complete rest in order to recover. My sincere apologies to anyone who was planning to come to this show, especially if you made special travel plans, and I hope you will understand that this an absolute last resort for me. Please note that the second show at the Vic Theater on Tuesday night will definitely go ahead.” Steven Wilson

All ticket holders for Monday night’s show will receive a full refund, including all ticketing fees. If you purchased them online, you don’t need to do anything – you will automatically receive a full refund. If you purchased them in person at the box, you must return your tickets there for your refund.

Those that wish to attend Tuesday night’s show, you can go here: http://www.etix.com/ticket/p/3820693/steven-wilson-chicago-vic-theatrechicago-il to purchase those tickets. Sorry for any inconvenience

Your Friends at Jam Productions
  • Options
    thats too bad. i feel bad for those that really wanted to go.