Options

Which Single Is Better: Alive or Smells Like Teen Spirit?

13»

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,321
    edited November 2015
    Alive
    rummy said:

igotid88 said:

rummy said:

I guess many of us are answering the question to "Which song is better?" as opposed to the posted question, "Which single is better?"

Using the word "single" sort of asks the respondent to be objective and ignore their own personal preference. There really is no contest in that regard.

I still like "Alive" better.

I believe the OP means song. If he had said which was the bigger hit. That's a different thing altogether
    I guess there really isn't much point in arguing which was the bigger "hit."

I don't know about the charts but I feel I even heard "Even Flow" and "Jeremy" way more than "Alive" on the radio. Heck, I may have even heard "Black" more and it wasn't even a single.
    A poll usually means which do you like better? Now if it was a trivia question? Or if the op had asked which one was more important?

If the question was which album is better Ten or No Code. And you say like No Code better. Bur choose Ten. Because without it No Code wouldn't exist. Your pick should've been No Code
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 199
    Alive

Without Smells like teen spirit there is no Alive...

I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    40% on a pearl jam forum says it all really.
  • Options
    Alive
    Also Alive and Even Flow could have been bigger hits if they had the physical single with the b sides. But those were released years after.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Alive
    TGarden said:

40% on a pearl jam forum says it all really.

Not really. It's not uncommon for people here to choose other bands over PJ
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    tino_11 said:

How so? Care to explain further?
    If SLTS doesn't become a huge hit then you'd never have heard most of the other bands during that era. SLTS is the song that defined a generation, that moved music into the mainstream that wasn't from the Los Angeles hair metal scene.

Many articles have been written about it. Some even suggest that Janes Addiction were the true cause for the musical shift.

Nirvana is the biggest reason we got to here all of this music. I'm glad they did too.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,518
    edited November 2015
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    I personally feel like Nirvana's role in that context is way overblown. I'm not saying they didn't have an influence... but they are responsible for all the other music out of that scene?? The main reason we got to hear all of that other music? I don't think so. I know it's a popular theory. I just don't believe in it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 199
    edited November 2015
    Alive

tino_11 said:

If SLTS doesn't become a huge hit then you'd never have heard most of the other bands during that era.

Completely unfounded.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

If SLTS doesn't become a huge hit then you'd never have heard most of the other bands during that era.

Completely unfounded.

I think it's impossible to say whether or not, if Nirvana hadn't exploded onto the mainstream if bands like Pearl Jam would have been able to have the same success. We know for a fact that Nirvana was the first out of the gate.
    There's a clip in PJ20, shortly after Cobain's suicide, PJ is playing a concert and EV says if it wasn't for Nirvana we might not be on this stage (or something to that effect).
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Alive

Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.
    I think it's impossible to say whether or not, if Nirvana hadn't exploded onto the mainstream if bands like Pearl Jam would have been able to have the same success. We know for a fact that Nirvana was the first out of the gate.
    There's a clip in PJ20, shortly after Cobain's suicide, PJ is playing a concert and EV says if it wasn't for Nirvana we might not be on this stage (or something to that effect).
    He's also said that about Sonic Youth, The Melvins, Ian Mackaye, Lou Reed, and a host of others.
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit

Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.
    He's also said that about Sonic Youth, The Melvins, Ian Mackaye, Lou Reed, and a host of others.
    Yeah, I always thought that was a particularly silly thing for him to say, albeit very well-intentioned. I think Eddie just really likes to give a lot of credit to the dead and/or bands that have broken up. He overstates things sometimes, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.

Here's one of many articles that mention it.

Read "the rise of grunge"
    https://grungehistory.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit

Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.

I have read tons about this for years... I just don't buy it.
    I also don't buy at least half of the hype about the Beatles though, so .... ;)
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    http://mash10.com/greatest-musical-acs-90s/

Rollingstone has mentioned it too.
    I think the spark was SLTS that led to the explosion.
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    PJ_Soul said:

Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.

I have read tons about this for years... I just don't buy it.
    I also don't buy at least half of the hype about the Beatles though, so .... ;)
    Lol, then we are at an impasse.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

How do you figure?
    Duh. Do the math.

Alive - released August 2, 1991.
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - released September 10, 1991

Obvious, right?
    Are you being facetious?
    I like Alive better, BUT the better single is Teen Spirit, it helped popularize Grunge/Alternative Rock and laid the groundwork for the entire decade of rock music (as did Alive but not to the same extent). For instance, the opening riff of Teen Spirit is much more recognizable than Alive. Now, does that make it the better single? No, but it just goes to show that Teen Spirit reached more people and cast a wider net.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    mschostok said:

PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

How do you figure?
    Duh. Do the math.

Alive - released August 2, 1991.
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - released September 10, 1991

Obvious, right?
    Are you being facetious?
    I like Alive better, BUT the better single is Teen Spirit, it helped popularize Grunge/Alternative Rock and laid the groundwork for the entire decade of rock music (as did Alive but not to the same extent). For instance, the opening riff of Teen Spirit is much more recognizable than Alive. Now, does that make it the better single? No, but it just goes to show that Teen Spirit reached more people and cast a wider net. I have friends who listen to crappy EDM music and know Teen Spirit by heart but have only heard Alive a few times.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    edited November 2015
    Smells Like Teen Spirit

Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.
    And he was correct.
    Post edited by dmaradona10 on
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    Alive
    To suggest that Pearl Jam wouldn't have exploded without Nirvana is a bit of a stretch. Had the record companies, MTV, and radio not promoted Teen Spirit they way the did, they would've picked another band, whether that be Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. It just so happened they picked Nirvana and Teen Spirit.

Look at the follow up efforts by both bands in the fall of 93. Vs was the fastest selling record of all time and is certified 7x Platinum. In Utero, released a month prior to Vs, broke no first week sales records and is 5x Platinum. Easy to see who people wanted more of.

I remember when MTV used to do those Top 100 Videos of All Time countdowns. From 92-94, Jeremy was always #1 on those countdowns. Then Kurt died. Suddenly Teen Spirit was #1. Hmmm...
  • Options
    Smells Like Teen Spirit

To suggest that Pearl Jam wouldn't have exploded without Nirvana is a bit of a stretch. Had the record companies, MTV, and radio not promoted Teen Spirit they way the did, they would've picked another band, whether that be Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. It just so happened they picked Nirvana and Teen Spirit.

Look at the follow up efforts by both bands in the fall of 93. Vs was the fastest selling record of all time and is certified 7x Platinum. In Utero, released a month prior to Vs, broke no first week sales records and is 5x Platinum. Easy to see who people wanted more of.

I remember when MTV used to do those Top 100 Videos of All Time countdowns. From 92-94, Jeremy was always #1 on those countdowns. Then Kurt died. Suddenly Teen Spirit was #1. Hmmm...

Record sales of ten were sluggish then nirvana released nevermind and boom. Everyone's sales went up.

As for the follow up a lot of people didn't like in utero , I loved it. More people did gravitate to vs and I see why for the mainstream.

So I see that SLTS is the catylist. Again I'm glad it happened.
  • Options
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    Smells Like Teen Spirit

Record sales of ten were sluggish then nirvana released nevermind and boom. Everyone's sales went up.

As for the follow up a lot of people didn't like in utero , I loved it. More people did gravitate to vs and I see why for the mainstream.

So I see that SLTS is the catylist. Again I'm glad it happened.
    I recall picking up Ten when it was already almost a year old. Pearl Jam didn't explode right after, or because of, Nirvana, in my opinion. Again, I don't put Pearl Jam in the same genre as all of the other bands that got exposure from Nirvana's popularity. So I really think their rise would have come with or without Nirvana.

Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Mudhoney, etc? not so much.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    edited November 2015
    Alive
    SLTS is definitely a game changer but when I want to enjoy some music blowing my head, I would go for Alive.
    And I am big on Nirvana.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Smells Like Teen Spirit

Dr. Matt said:

tino_11 said:

Completely unfounded.
    And he was correct.
    There is no way anyone can make that statement (and using the "might" in there actually makes any of those statements meaningless in any real sense anyhow). We have no idea how things would have gone if any of those bands didn't exist. If just one of them didn't exist maybe GW never would have been president. Maybe WWIII would have broken out. Who knows? No one. But to say that any one band's nonexistence means that a lot of other bands never would have existed seems like an unfounded, unprovable assumption, and IMHO takes a lot of credit away from a lot of people. I feel like Eddie just really likes to show that he respects people by making comments like that. They are symbolic statements, not true or correct ones.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Alive
    No way you can deny how awesome and influential Smells Like Teen Spirit is, but Alive is a better song to me.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2