2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    mca47 wrote: »
    The more I think about this, the more fucked up this is. The way Trestman holds people accountable is quite interesting. Cutler gets benched (probably deserved based on poor play) yet he doesn't fire Aaron Kromer who ran his mouth to the media anonymously like a little bitch. Trestman really doesn't have a clue. Can't wait until this whole coaching staff is gone.

That was exactly my point in a prev post. The ONLY move, adjustment in anything he has done all year is bench the QB in meaningless games.
    Kromer is fine, Tucker is fine, all other players and staff....fine.
    He's worthless and desperately trying to hold onto his NFL career in hoping Clausen plays well.

Yep. I don't disagree with the move, but the fact that this is the only significant move he has made during this disaster of a season is crazy. Just read an article that the locker room is not happy about Cutler getting benched, but Kromer had no consequences for the nonsense that he pulled.

I think they all realize why he was benched and now the locker room is more bitter than even before. Can you imagine Trestman gathering the troops before this weeks game and saying something like "There is no "I" in TEAM" bahahahahahahaha!
    It's like an employee who knows he's going to be fired, and instead of finishing his job to his best ability, he instead decides to burn the place down.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I give 50% of the blame to the defense, 30%.to poor coaching, 20% to Cutler, 10% to special teams.

How many 2nd or 3rd and less.than 4 did we drop back and pass? A lot. Most of that is piss poor play calling. I'm sure Cutler audibled out of some run to passes, but I'd say most of it was poor, poor play calling. Forte should have been used like demarco Murray this year. He'd have 13 - 15 carries in the first half and have 4 the rest of the game. Sickening.

The problem is that the defense was that bad because of the poor coaching. While they had some injuries this year, the team brought in veterans who should have made the D better. Tucker and Trestman were so confident in their system that they felt adding a couple guys would make the difference. You can bring in JJ Watt and Richard Sherman and the D will still suck. It's the system that failed.

The coaching is bad, but the players aren't much better. How many times this year did we see a safety just let a WR run right past him for a TD? That's not a system...that's a mental mistake. And we saw those repeatedly this season. Not defending the coaching one bit, but the talent level on defense is very, very bad. Sure, they added Jared Allen but that was about it and he has been mostly a bust.

The biggest issue with the Bears IMO is that they rarely develop young players that they draft or sign as UFAs. The # of homegrown players on their roster is one of the lowest in the league. You're going to have a very hard time being successful in the NFL if you can't develop players.

I agree the players on the Bears D are quite bad. That said, their scheme never changed. They played a slightly modified cover 2 zone on 90% of their plays. In the redzone they played more man coverage and they were actually pretty good in their own redzone. Heck, even one of the announcers during one of the last games made that comment, "when the Bears play man, they have far more success." Any team can pick apart a cover 2 zone if it's not played perfectly. They never disguised coverages, and they got no help from the LBs. Yeah, you need the talent to make it work, but you also need the coaching to make it successful.
    The Lovie Smith Bears were able to pull it off because they had the talent and they had a coach who knew how to run that system.
    I think Fuller is a talented kid who will have success in the league as long as he stays healthy. All year it pained me to see him lined up on a #1 WR only to drop him to a safety after 5-10 yards. When playing man, he read routes well (for a rookie anyways) and he played tight.
    You're right, not sure why or how safeties got beat so much this year. The cover2 zone is to assure nobody gets behind you. Like Conte in last years game against the Packers. How on earth he would drop his coverage to Nelson is still mind boggling. You're a fn safety....you're it. You never drop your coverage...you get handed off players! Ugh!
    Anyways, I just think they did nothing to adjust for some bad players.
    Also, while I'm rambling...in preseason and OTAs this year, I found it amusing that they spent so much time and effort working on hand drills with the martial arts guy. It was supposed to allow the linemen to have more control and get past the Oline faster. How about you fn teach them some actual football!!!!!! Ugh!

Yeah, the scheme just didn't work with these players. They kept the same fucking defense that Lovie ran for 9 years! A new coaching staff that kept the defense the same....that's mind boggling. But I do see what you're saying....no adjustments made at all over the course of the season. Same shit over and over. I cringe every time I see a Bears DB playing 8-9 yards off the WR. Ugh.

I just really hope they do what's right and clean house with everyone...Emery included. Get rid of Ted Phillips too...the guy is a fucking accountant. He's not a football guy, yet he's the one who hires the GM. They had to bring in a search firm when they hired Emery....that should tell you a lot about the abilities of the people in charge of this organization. Fuck!!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    It makes no sense to bench Cutler now. It's not going to save his job. I refuse to listen to anyone that says Jimmy clausen gives the Bears the best chance to win. It makes no sense. You might as well let your punter play running back.
    It makes no sense to bench Cutler now. It's not going to save his job. I refuse to listen to anyone that says Jimmy clausen gives the Bears the best chance to win. It makes no sense. You might as well let your punter play running back.

It probably won't save his job, but I think he realizes he doesn't have too many options left. His ass is on the line and he's hoping for a Clausen Christmas miracle! haha

This isn't about winning. Like mca said above, this is Trestman trying to save his ass. He wants to prove that his system works and that Jay is the problem, not him. I don't think it's going to make a difference, but I can kinda see why Trestman would do this. But then again at the same time, he doesn't do a thing to Kromer for his bullshit, yet Cutler gets benched....not very consistent and that's why the players have zero respect left for this coaching staff.
    Prediction:
    No matter the score against the Lions, the Bears will run the ball more than they have all year.
    What you'll see is a more balanced approach to the offense. All year long, Trestman said "we've got to run the ball more..." and what happened, they completely abandoned the run.
    Trestman cannot afford to have Clausen look bad, so he'll pound the ball and when they do throw it, you're gonna see some open opportunities.
    They'll lose, and probably by a lot....but what people will be talking about in Chicago is how "effective and efficient" the offense was under Clausen despite changing the entire game plan.
    In the post game press conference, Trestman will talk about how good practices have been all week and how hard the offense and Clausen worked to be ready for the game.
    Clausen's jersey won't even get dirty, and Trestman is going to make sure that happens.
    Mark my words.
    Lions 37
    Bears 28
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383

I figure they need to keep cutler healthy to entertain trade offers.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Prediction:
    No matter the score against the Lions, the Bears will run the ball more than they have all year.
    What you'll see is a more balanced approach to the offense. All year long, Trestman said "we've got to run the ball more..." and what happened, they completely abandoned the run.
    Trestman cannot afford to have Clausen look bad, so he'll pound the ball and when they do throw it, you're gonna see some open opportunities.
    They'll lose, and probably by a lot....but what people will be talking about in Chicago is how "effective and efficient" the offense was under Clausen despite changing the entire game plan.
    In the post game press conference, Trestman will talk about how good practices have been all week and how hard the offense and Clausen worked to be ready for the game.
    Clausen's jersey won't even get dirty, and Trestman is going to make sure that happens.
    Mark my words.
    Lions 37
    Bears 28

I'd put $50 on the Bears not scoring over 17. I'd also bet that the offense doesn't score more than 1 td.
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,406
    If the Bears decide to run the ball, it'd be pretty dumb considering that is the strength of the Lions Defense and the best run defense unit in the league...lol.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Any chance Mike Ditka would coach again? Or is he too old? What about Refrigerator Perry?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    JV130312 wrote: »
    If the Bears decide to run the ball, it'd be pretty dumb considering that is the strength of the Lions Defense and the best run defense unit in the league...lol.

The Bears don't do a lot that makes sense. But you shall see...Trestman will work and live with Clausen to make him as ready as possible for the game. They will also hand off a lot even if it doesn't work. Clausen can't look bad, even if he hands off all day!!
    JV130312 wrote: »

The Bears don't do a lot that makes sense. But you shall see...Trestman will work and live with Clausen to make him as ready as possible for the game. They will also hand off a lot even if it doesn't work. Clausen can't look bad, even if he hands off all day!!

That sounds like a great plan in theory. But there's no way in hell they will run more than they pass. Forte will have between 15-20 rushes tops. Clausen will attempt at LEAST 35 passes.
  • Bears defense will give up 40 1st half points.

Clausen will throw 48 passes
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Run to pass will be close to 50:50.
    If Clausen tosses as much as Cutler, he'll get killed. Trestman won't allow that to happen.
    If Clausen tosses as much as Cutler, he'll get killed. Trestman won't allow that to happen.

100% disagree. I agree with why they would want to keep it around 50/50. And he may be close to that by halftime. But i think the Bears will be down by 3 scores at the half. No way he keeps it evenif that is the case

But let's be honest with ourselves. Almost every team goes in hoping to have an even balance of run and pass. Even the Broncos are realizing that after almost 3 years under Peyton. But when reality sets in, it ain't gonna happen.

100% disagree. I agree with why they would want to keep it around 50/50. And he may be close to that by halftime. But i think the Bears will be down by 3 scores at the half. No way he keeps it evenif that is the case

But let's be honest with ourselves. Almost every team goes in hoping to have an even balance of run and pass. Even the Broncos are realizing that after almost 3 years under Peyton. But when reality sets in, it ain't gonna happen.

Nope, the game plan for this game will be 100% different. If it's not 50:50, it'll be close.
    The Bears will lose easily, but Trestman can't and wont let Clausen risk making mistakes.
    I think you're thinking of the Bears coaching as one of a team and coach who cares about winning. Trestman only wants Claus to do well.

Nope, the game plan for this game will be 100% different. If it's not 50:50, it'll be close.
    The Bears will lose easily, but Trestman can't and wont let Clausen risk making mistakes.
    I think you're thinking of the Bears coaching as one of a team and coach who cares about winning. Trestman only wants Claus to do well.

It will be interesting to see how Trestman does it on Sunday. He has said that they need to run the ball more repeatedly throughout the season, but he has never done it. I seriously think he just can't help himself....he just loves those WR screen passes so much!

I do see what you're saying mca....he's going to do everything he can to make Clausen and his system look good. He's all about saving his ass right now.
    In the latest Bears news...
    Turns out the Bears players found out about Cutler getting benched from social media and NOT the coaching staff.
    :fp:
    The coaching staff has no control over anything. Dysfunction at it's very finest.
    Cutler on his worst day is better than clausen on his best. They should fire trestman today. The bears could coach themselves to a win.
    Trestman is "scaling back" the gameplan for Clausen.
    AKA...run the ball, and run it some more so Jimmy doesn't look bad.

Jimmy will look bad. If those players support Cutler, who's to say that there won't be any center to qb exchanges that go badly. Or a couple hand off to forte slips. Maybe even a wrong route ran by alshon or Bennett? Possibly a missed blocking assignment by someone that leads to a sack fumble.

Jimmy will look bad. If those players support Cutler, who's to say that there won't be any center to qb exchanges that go badly. Or a couple hand off to forte slips. Maybe even a wrong route ran by alshon or Bennett? Possibly a missed blocking assignment by someone that leads to a sack fumble.

Are you serious? These guys are fucking professionals. They're not going to take dives and leave Clausen out to dry. Such a ridiculous statement.
    edited December 2014
    Cutler on his worst day is better than clausen on his best. They should fire trestman today. The bears could coach themselves to a win.

This is strictly Trestman trying to save his own ass. The whole world knows Cutler is better than Clausen. Trestman is just trying to prove his shitty system works with another QB. Plain and simple.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on

Are you serious? These guys are fucking professionals. They're not going to take dives and leave Clausen out to dry. Such a ridiculous statement.

What's ridiculous is that you think that has never/doesn't happen.

OK...you're right on. I'm the one being ridiculous here. Sorry I dare question any of the ridiculous things you say around here.

This is strictly Trestman trying to save his own ass. The whole world knows Cutler is better than Clausen. Trestman is just trying to prove his shitty system works with another QB. Plain and simple.

Thank you for continuing to point out that trestman is in job saving mode. I know. My point is he should be fired anyway.
    So, I'm hearing a lot of chatter about the Titans being interested in Cutler.
    Let's say they trade him or release him...
    Who do they go after? What do they do?
    Looking at FA QBs after this year...it's an ugly list.
    Draft a QB? There are a couple options, but even if the Bears lose the final two games...they won't be in position to nab one....
    And leads to the other and bigger issue....the rebuilding of the defense. I personally wouldn't care if they spent every pick on defense.
    Having a Clausen, McCoy, McCown-type player fill in next year.....ugh!

Every way I look at this team it makes me realize they are completely and utterly fucked!

I think the Bears need to go after Harbaugh. SanFran is a messed up org too, but Harbaugh has won a lot of games in the little time he's been in the NFL.

Here's what I do...
    Fire Trestman, Tucker, Kromer, DiCammillis and Emery.
    Bring in Harbaugh, and let him find a OC and DC.
    Bring back Cutler and the current offense.
    Draft nothing but defenders.
    Re-sign Tillman to play safety.

Simple enough!

Here's what I do...
    Fire Trestman, Tucker, Kromer, DiCammillis and Emery.
    Bring in Harbaugh, and let him find a OC and DC.
    Bring back Cutler and the current offense.
    Draft nothing but defenders.
    Re-sign Tillman to play safety.

Simple enough!

Yep, I think that's the best option at this point. Like you said, if they did trade Cutler, who is our QB now? As bad as he has been this year, he's still a better option than any of the FA QB's that will be available. And this draft isn't a very good one for QBs.

The most important thing is that they get rid of the entire coaching staff and Emery. Need to clean house completely so they can start picking up the pieces of this disaster.

OK...you're right on. I'm the one being ridiculous here. Sorry I dare question any of the ridiculous things you say around here.

It has nothing to do with being questioned. It has everything to do with the way you claim that just because they are professionals, they won't screw something up on purpose to make someone look bad.

Jay Cutler is a very well liked player in that locker room. And Trestman is a very unpopular coach in that locker room. It is.not out of the realm of.possibly that someone would fuck something up to make trestman look bad and defend Cutler. I'm not talking about every play or during a crucial play. It may not happen at all. I've read stories of it happening in baseball and in basketball. So it is not.unprecedented in professional sports.