Options

Campaign for Chicago show this fall - let's start one

Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,548
edited May 2014 in The Porch
So I may be off my rocker here, but I started thinking, like many others on here, why not try to being PJ to my hometown? After seeing the list of what every band needs to charge for a show that came out within the last few weeks, the announcement of the Midwest dates, then being shut out of another lottery, what if we, the fans, put together some sort of kickstarter or kickstarter-like campaign or petition to get them to Chicago? It kind of seems like something you would read about in Rolling Stone, something that PJ would do.

While I have put together charity events on a very small scale (100 people), my experience with this sort of thing is very limited. Here is my initial thinking, definitely open to suggestions:

Coordinate a show with PJ at the Aragon around one of their Midwestern dates this fall.
The Aragon is big enough to generate the revenue, but small enough where it would feel special and the overhead wouldn't be as extraordinary. It holds roughly 4500 people.
I don't have the info on how much the band would actually charge (the article said $500k) or how much the venue or other venues in the city would require for rental, security, overhead, etc. It looks like kickstarter and credit card fees would take ~10%. Off the top of my head was an average ticket price of around $250 (a donation of $250). I personally don't think that is unreasonable, but I could be off.
Have different packages like a bootleg, tshirt or poster for a small donation, and VIP area and maybe even a song request for a large donation to make this show happen.
Would ideally keep ticket costs as low as possible but need to make sure everything with the band, venue, insurance, assumed lawyer fees, possibly a promoter, etc is covered. Anything made over covering the costs would go to a charity.

While I don't have the contact info for band management, or an idea of what the venues charge, this is something that might be worth looking into. There could also be bigger factors at play, like some sort of Lolla contract for next year or venues having exclusive deals with promoters, etc.

PJ/Eddie have played the occasional corporate gig in recent years, so I don't think it's too out of the question. Put together by the fans, for the fans, or some generic tag line. Anyway, if people think this is worth looking into, let me know. If there is anyone with contact info for the band's management to at least ask, feel free to PM me, or make a call to them so it can be shot down immediately. Also open to other venue ideas that would be economically feasible. We could form a little subcommittee to put this together. Anyway, looking for some constructive input, whether publicly or privately. It's easy to say its crazy or come up with reasons not to, but it never hurts to ask. If there is one band that listens, it's PJ.
Post edited by Father Hubbard on

Comments

• Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I'm in. No idea if this is even possible, but I like the idea of it.
  • Options
    KidsAtPlayKidsAtPlay Posts: 21
    IMHO, this may have been a crazy and very unrealistic idea many years ago, but if some support can be offered by a few people with some of the connections you mentioned above, I'd say it'd be a really exciting opportunity.

In the age of social media, there is a much different level of interaction between individuals that may, in another time, never crossed paths. Combine that with the concept of crowdfunding initiatives and you might argue there are no limits.

PJ fans and the band itself have demonstrated innovative orientation, which stimulates the desire to try new modes of interacting with other consumers and social identification with the content, which sparks the desire to be a part of the initiative.
  • Options
    I like the idea of trying to take the negative energy from getting shut out of the lottery and turn it into something positive and productive
  • Options
    cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    I'm in, but you would have to coordinate with the band management to see if it is even possible to do, then start your Kickstarter campaign.
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    I'm in. I'm from NY and was more than willing to go to Chicago this year. I thought a 2 night stand at UC was a lock. I was very wrong obviously.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

I like the idea of trying to take the negative energy from getting shut out of the lottery and turn it into something positive and productive

Very Good Point :)
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I'm in. I'm from NY and was more than willing to go to Chicago this year. I thought a 2 night stand at UC was a lock. I was very wrong obviously.

I'm still not 100% convinced that a proper Chicago date will not show up. Don't know why, but I just feel it for some reason.
  • Options
    mr.mac said:

nicknyr15 said:

I'm still not 100% convinced that a proper Chicago date will not show up. Don't know why, but I just feel it for some reason.
    I've been saying all along I think EV solo, but who knows these days
  • Options

mr.mac said:

nicknyr15 said:

I've been saying all along I think EV solo, but who knows these days
    I would be ok with that also!
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    This is kind of stepping on my "Come back to Chicago" thread, but I support it ;)
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Just found this video showing Pearl Jam walking out to the stage from under the Wrigley Bleachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi16ozFSpVQ

Come Back!
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    Sign me up
  • Options

This is kind of stepping on my "Come back to Chicago" thread, but I support it ;)

Ah so sorry! How can we merge threads?

• Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Maybe I'm kicking a hornet's next here…but if there was going to be such an effort to get them to play somewhere (which I totally agree is an awesome idea!) why not make it somewhere more unique as a destination (e.g….Des Moines…Green Bay…Madison? Somewhere where the population is small, maybe even a college town, where they do two nights, and the entire town is buzzing?!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Maybe I'm kicking a hornet's next here…but if there was going to be such an effort to get them to play somewhere (which I totally agree is an awesome idea!) why not make it somewhere more unique as a destination (e.g….Des Moines…Green Bay…Madison? Somewhere where the population is small, maybe even a college town, where they do two nights, and the entire town is buzzing?!

Well, the OP said he wanted to bring PJ to his hometown, so there's that. And since his hometown is my hometown, I wholeheartedly support this plan.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Well like I said on a Previous Thread anything Pearl Jam related I'll sign...Although I haven't been there yet Chicago seems like a Nice City.
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

Well like I said on a Previous Thread anything Pearl Jam related I'll sign...Although I haven't been there yet Chicago seems like a Nice City.

The greatest city in the world!
  • Options
    I'm in and I know someone that used to work for Jam Productions, exclusively at the Aragon. If we get some traction/support, I'll give her a call.
  • Options
    mr.mac said:

i_lov_it said:

The greatest city in the world!
    Looks like I may have to come for a Visit then ;)

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Definitely want Pearl Jam to come to Chicago. But I'd prefer 'normal' shows. Anything that is a spectacle of any kind will just attract people from across the country again (which is very cool of course, but will once again leave many local PJ fans shut out as we saw with the Wrigley show).
  • Options
    Sarava said:

Definitely want Pearl Jam to come to Chicago. But I'd prefer 'normal' shows. Anything that is a spectacle of any kind will just attract people from across the country again (which is very cool of course, but will once again leave many local PJ fans shut out as we saw with the Wrigley show).

hmmm, yes, good point. I would be thrilled with a non-spectacle show at the UC.
  • Options

I'm in and I know someone that used to work for Jam Productions, exclusively at the Aragon. If we get some traction/support, I'll give her a call.

That would be amazing! Just to kind of pick their brain and see roughly how much the Aragon (or other venue) would need to cover their rental, overhead, staffing, security, etc. and anything else one might night think about unless you're in the biz.
  • Options
    mr.mac said:

mwplum said:

Well, the OP said he wanted to bring PJ to his hometown, so there's that. And since his hometown is my hometown, I wholeheartedly support this plan.
    Yeah, living in Chicago would make things easier logistically, in case there needed to be meetings, visits, etc, plus the closest show is like 90 miles away on a weeknight. Once that and Moline sell out officially, maybe we can pick up some steam.

• Options
    Sarava said:

I would love a "normal" show or shows as well, but it just does not look likely at this point. Unless the demand is so high and there is some unrest (similar to how they added a Philly show after the Borgota hullabaloo in 2005). I was more thinking along the lines of something like the Santa Barbara show in 2003, Missoula 2012, the Robin Hood show in 2008 in New York, the Oracle show in San Fran in 2012, etc. The Oracle one was, to my knowledge, a corporate show and not a benefit, but I wonder what costs/fees the band charged for each of those.
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653

Ah so sorry! How can we merge threads?

The more come back to Chicago threads the better!
  • Options
    Bump to start the week. Going to try and do some serious research now that this ticket lottery and public onsale dust is beginning to settle. If anyone has any ideas, leads, sexy recipes, let me know.
  • Options

Bump to start the week. Going to try and do some serious research now that this ticket lottery and public onsale dust is beginning to settle. If anyone has any ideas, leads, sexy recipes, let me know.

Are we giving up on the Wrigley in late September rumor? I hoped that one had legs.
  • Options
    nupur1586nupur1586 Ewing, NJ Posts: 88
    this is an excellent idea.. definitely worth a try.. and i totally agree that if there's a band that listens, it's Pearl Jam.. in fact, if there's any fan club that can pull this off, it has got to be 10c..
    Can I be here all alone? Clear a path to my home
  • Options
    mr.mac said:

Are we giving up on the Wrigley in late September rumor? I hoped that one had legs.
    I would love it, but Im losing hope. Does anyone know the latest they have announced or added a show at Wrigley in the past? They usually announce those pretty far ahead of time.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I love the idea and would support it. I know that it's the OP's home town, but I would think it would be cooler to bring them to somewhere that hasn't gotten a show in a long time as opposed to Chicago which always seems to have a show within a couple hours drive.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.