Options

Hooked on Lightning Bolt

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
Five months later and I am still hooked on Lightning Bolt. I can't believe how great this album is. In my opinion, PJ's best album since Yield. It was definitely worth the four year wait for this gem of an album. Love cranking it and just rocking out to it. I find myself constantly putting songs on repeat and just love the opening 1-2 punch of Getaway and Mind Your Manners. Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum, and Yellow Moon are incredible songs, especially Yellow Moon, which has instantly become a top 10 favorite song of mine for the band.

The tour definitely did help me love the album even more than I already was loving it at the time of the shows. Those shows were some of the best I've seen. It seems like this album rejuvenated the band for the next part of their career. Like Eddie said at the Toronto 2011 show: the first twenty years ended side one of a record and now side two is off to great start!

Here's to another 20+ years!
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful

Comments

• Options
    TripleBTripleB Posts: 65
    I agree. It is their best effort since Yield. Avocado is second.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    I like it better than Yield, no filler like red dot
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited March 2014
    Lightning bolt is a great album. I agree it was worth the 4 yr wait, but the guys did do some good solo side projects in between the making of this album.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    it's good. Glad you're still here, newch!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    Absolutely incredible disc!
  • Options
    imalive said:

it's good. Glad you're still here, newch!

Thanks! You too, imalive! This place is almost like a ghost town. DC has abandoned us here.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

I like it better than Yield, no filler like red dot

This album is great. Yield was fantastic.
    I feel the filler on this album starts after Pendulum. (plus Infallible)
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    Great album, standing up still for sure. Not better than Binaural or Riot Act, but other than those best since No Code.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I agree. Still listen to it a lot. Pendulum is one of my all time favorite PJ songs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Its a great album. I still really enjoy it but I won't go as far as saying its the best since Yield. Maybe since Binaural though...
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    Well said Newch! I feel the exact same way. Pendulum and Yellow Moon are amazing slow songs. Some people think of them
    as retreads or too simple or cliche but there is an incredible unique intangible in each. Pendulum is so atmospheric and haunting and Yellow Moon has a restrained angst that is incredible.
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Newch91 said:

Five months later and I am still hooked on Lightning Bolt. I can't believe how great this album is. In my opinion, PJ's best album since Yield. It was definitely worth the four year wait for this gem of an album. Love cranking it and just rocking out to it. I find myself constantly putting songs on repeat and just love the opening 1-2 punch of Getaway and Mind Your Manners. Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum, and Yellow Moon are incredible songs, especially Yellow Moon, which has instantly become a top 10 favorite song of mine for the band.

The tour definitely did help me love the album even more than I already was loving it at the time of the shows. Those shows were some of the best I've seen. It seems like this album rejuvenated the band for the next part of their career. Like Eddie said at the Toronto 2011 show: the first twenty years ended side one of a record and now side two is off to great start!

Here's to another 20+ years!

• Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    I feel ya brother.......I am they same way.......this album is brilliant!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    edited March 2014
    I'm still diggin it too. I took a break from the record for a few months (not on purpose, my two stereos busted and havent gotten them fixed/replaced). But I listened to lightning Bolt once through on a road trip a few weeks ago and it has ehld up well. Getaway, LB, and swallowed whole have grown on me big time. Pendulum is just sick, and Yellow Moon is smooth.

I keep hoping there are some badass b-sides off LB too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Swallowed Whole is really growing on me and just love it after Mike's solo.

Eddie sounds great on the album.
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    I listened to this album for 3 months without playing any other album or band. Back on the boots now
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    TripleB said:

I agree. It is their best effort since Yield.

I've been saying the same thing to everybody. I've yet to tire of the album and even the songs people don't really care for are still better than a lot of the other "fillers" on some of their other albums. It's a solid effort all around.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    Yeah... 5 months old and can't get enough of this album... so amazing...

Got a budy of mine that was too busy listenning to music recently... got a hang of him last week and he told me that he was ashamed of not listenning to LB... so we arranged a LB listenning party... he was blown away!!!!!

His favorite on 1st listen? Pendulum by far... never seen him so pumped up for a PJ album since ... since i don't remember when... probably Binaural...
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    mfc2006 said:

I agree. Still listen to it a lot. Pendulum is one of my all time favorite PJ songs.

Exactly my feeling. I am still listening to it start-finish quite a bit; moreso than any other album right now...but the Boots have regained their foothold as how I am listening to most of my PJ now that I am used to the new release.
    Pendulum runs through my head about 10x per day. It sits on my phone playlist at the top so that I can listen at any given moment to one of the versions.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I've been saying best since Riot Act. It's just....cohesive. It's adventurous, catchy, weird...exactly what I want from PJ.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    There are a couple of cool Youtube videos of Pendulum set to some cool images. Check it out!
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    I am still much more into the first 5 songs on the record than the latter half.

I often skip from Lightning Bolt to Future Days and then start over at Getaway. Somehow, it's a really cool transition from the very end of Future Days to the start of Getaway. Try it sometime if you haven't.

Basically, it's a problem of cohesiveness for me. I feel like there is a defined Side A and Side B to this record, with Side B being the sleepier and more uneven of the two. The emotion is so raw and the energy is so high through Lightning Bolt (the song) and then it just goes mid-tempo or slow for the rest of the album. Sure, it picks up a little with Swallowed Whole and Let the Records Play, but neither of those sounds like "Pearl Jam songs" to me. Swallowed Whole sounds like The Byrds and LTRP sounds like a George Thorogood cover. Which is not to say they're bad songs, they just don't sound like PJ if that makes sense.

I still have this record in the middle of the pack somewhere. Time will tell where it winds up. 5 months is still "new" in my book. True test will be whether I'm still listening to it in 2 - 3 years.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    Even Backspacer is waaay better than Lightning Bolt....waaaaay better.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Even Backspacer is waaay better than Lightning Bolt....waaaaay better.

Umm, no.

Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    IMO I don't know how anyone can listen to these 4 on LB:
    My Father's Son
    Infallible
    Let The Records Play
    Sleeping By Myself

And I say Backspacer is better because I only slightly dislike 1 song: Johnny Guitar.

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Very, very happy with Lightning Bolt. I just tried to give myself (or maybe my girlfriend) a break from it, since I've been playing it on every drive since October...I can't go much longer and am not sick of it yet! Great and accessible record for this point in their career
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415

My Father's Son
    Infallible
    Let The Records Play
    Sleeping By Myself

And I say Backspacer is better because I only slightly dislike 1 song: Johnny Guitar.

I like every song you named, but My Father's Son is badass. That would have sent moshpits into a frenzy back in the day! Great punky song.
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    It is easily their best album since Binaural IMHO. Not a weak track on it. Love it more now than ever. :x
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    If it wasn't for Sirens and Let The Records Play I would rate it a bit higher but I just don't play them so no problem. I think minus those songs if Future Days took Sirens spot in 4th place and SBM was last it would be perfect. Cold Confession would make it even better. I think Lightning Bolt partners Backspacer brilliantly and they both give me more appreciation for each album. I have no fear about what the next album will sound like as they are progressing nicely into maturity. The kind of songs some people are wishing they would still write wouldn't suit them now and you can't force that kind of thing. Why complain though, Getaway, Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole and Yellow Moon are absolute gems. Future Days and Sleeping By Myself are good enough to be just better than filler. I will never get Sirens or Let The Records Play but I can live with that.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options

My Father's Son
    Infallible
    Let The Records Play
    Sleeping By Myself

I'll give you LTRP and SBM but MFS and Infallible are are awesome tunes! With all do respect, you are missing the boat here my friend.