Options

2023 Grammys

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    tschav said:
    Legit question - does the band have to submit for Grammy consideration? It's not like i'd imagine them trying hard to win an award they wrote off back in Vitalogy days. Easily could have received accolades - even if just a nomination - for Gigaton.
    All Academy members can make submissions for nominations.  Only some members actually vote once the nominations are selected.

Back when I was a member, I submitted an album, and it ended up winning a Grammy!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    Thats sweet, Joe Joe JOE, not to be mistaken for Jojo. Well done. Sad about the lack of PJ inclusion this year.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Meghan Thee Stallion is horrible.  How Rockstar didn't win anything is amazing to me.  That song killed.
    Britany Howard winning a rock category seems off to me.  As much as I like her she doesn't scream rock n roll to me? 
    I was not a fan of Fetch the Bolt Cutters.  Maybe I should give it another spin?
    Miranda Lambert is the best Country music has to offer?  Same goes w John Legend.
    I listen to Hip Hop stations and I never heard the I can't Breathe song?  How did I miss that?
    Thundercat getting some love was my biggest takeaway from the whole grammys.  That man is a national treasure.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2021
    Didnt watch.  But reading the list i see that The Replacements won a grammy for Best Album Notes....meaning they dont even get a grammy. The journalist does. 

That’s the most Replacements way to win a grammy. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some of these people’s names are stupid as hell. Almost as bad as their music (I get it’s subjective; to me, much is utterly banal shit).

I don’t think I’ve watched since my early teens. Kinda sorry I missed Bill Burr’s little segment getting so many bent out of shape and ugly. It appears the so-called tolerant are not quite as tolerant as they would have you believe  :lol:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    They wanted some "controversy" to try and be relevant again.  Nobody hires Burr unless they want to get some anger/mockery of something current.  Duh.  Of course he was going to say something like that, they knew that.  Having him say foreign names also is pretty much a lock for making some joke about them.
    Totally planned, it is what they wanted.  Burr was just being himself.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,306
    Meghan Thee Stallion is horrible.  How Rockstar didn't win anything is amazing to me.  That song killed.
    Britany Howard winning a rock category seems off to me.  As much as I like her she doesn't scream rock n roll to me? 
    I was not a fan of Fetch the Bolt Cutters.  Maybe I should give it another spin?
    Miranda Lambert is the best Country music has to offer?  Same goes w John Legend.
    I listen to Hip Hop stations and I never heard the I can't Breathe song?  How did I miss that?
    Thundercat getting some love was my biggest takeaway from the whole grammys.  That man is a national treasure.
    Yea some of the rock nominees while good, didn't fit. Would have thought Pearl Jam had a lock on one of the rock or Alternative categories. I like Miranda. I love Fiona and liked Fetch but thought it was given too much praise. H.E.R. got an Album of the Year nomination last year and no one knew who she was. Most still don't. But she's good. She has staying power 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    They wanted some "controversy" to try and be relevant again.  Nobody hires Burr unless they want to get some anger/mockery of something current.  Duh.  Of course he was going to say something like that, they knew that.  Having him say foreign names also is pretty much a lock for making some joke about them.
    And thank goodness he was! That’s the Bill I know and love. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The Fiona album seems like people either insanely love it or you dont get it at all.   

It didnt click with me at all but i know people who absolutely love it.  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Least The Strokes won for best Rock album :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    hedonist said:
    And thank goodness he was! That’s the Bill I know and love. 
    I watched the clips on Youtube earlier.  I don't see anything that would be a controversy.  It was hilarious!  Him saying that music beforehand made him want to kill himself was fn great!  hahaha  That and him butchering the names of the nominees....ha!  The guy can barely read his English ad reads on his podcast and they had him do those categories?  Fn hilarious!  
  • Options
    Pearl Jam 2 Wins 15 Nominations

Foo Fighters 15 wins 31 Nominations

That ain't right
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    None of it is right...Beyonce isn't right.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,122
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    all about access to the band...they know PJ most likely are no shows
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    Not even now when the Rock categories are done before the show? They don't even get a "they've been around long enough. Let's give them an award" 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    Not even now when the Rock categories are done before the show? They don't even get a "they've been around long enough. Let's give them an award" 
    Rock isn't inclusive enough to be in primetime.  All the other awards showing rock musicians had them paired up w someone opposite of them.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    Rock isn't inclusive enough to be in primetime.  All the other awards showing rock musicians had them paired up w someone opposite of them.
    How is it not inclusive? 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    It's fascinating to me to see that Beyonce broke the record for most Grammys ever yet I don't know any fans of hers and don't see any here (maybe there are?)
    And there are a lot of music savvy people on these forums and quite a few with broad tastes in music, but few if any here seemed thrilled about Grammy record breaking Beyonce.
    Don't get my wrong-  I don't hate her music, but I have never been drawn to it and don't care for it.
    I just find the whole thing fascinating. If she is popular enough to win all those awards, who and where are all her fans?
    I think one guy on another forum nailed it when he said, "I think the Grammys are just out of touch, like Brandi Carlile winning Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song over the likes of Idles or Turnstile, who both released fantastic records.  Aphex Twin got it right when he did bother showing up for the award he won in 2015."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    How is it not inclusive? 
    How many diverse rock groups do you know of out there?

PJ, Coldplay, Foo, 21 Pilots, black keys, idles, turnstile , Beck, Ozzy.  Not a lot of diversity in them.  

• Options
    brianlux said:
    It's fascinating to me to see that Beyonce broke the record for most Grammys ever yet I don't know any fans of hers and don't see any here (maybe there are?)
    And there are a lot of music savvy people on these forums and quite a few with broad tastes in music, but few if any here seemed thrilled about Grammy record breaking Beyonce.
    Don't get my wrong-  I don't hate her music, but I have never been drawn to it and don't care for it.
    I just find the whole thing fascinating. If she is popular enough to win all those awards, who and where are all her fans?
    I think one guy on another forum nailed it when he said, "I think the Grammys are just out of touch, like Brandi Carlile winning Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song over the likes of Idles or Turnstile, who both released fantastic records.  Aphex Twin got it right when he did bother showing up for the award he won in 2015."

Beyonce winning the Best dance song over esteemed DJ's is laughable.

Brandi Carlile shouldn't have been in a few of the categories like you mentioned.  It's nice that she is getting much deserved recognition though.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Brandi Carlile shouldn't have been in a few of the categories like you mentioned.  It's nice that she is getting much deserved recognition though.

True, but the Grammy have a weird way of recognizing some artists.  Remember when they gave Jethro Tull the "best heavy metal" award for Crest of a Knave:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    How is it not inclusive? 

PJ, Coldplay, Foo, 21 Pilots, black keys, idles, turnstile , Beck, Ozzy.  Not a lot of diversity in them.  

Doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be shown on national tv
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I'm also seeing people still don't know who Bonnie Raitt is? This was like when her Nick of time album won a lot of Grammys and no one knew who she was then either
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

That ain't right
    How is it not inclusive? 

Doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be shown on national tv
    I'm not disagreeing but rock has also lost it's mojo.  You have more Spanish stations than rock stations which I find odd but when you have bands with a DIY background there is no money in it for big time record labels.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

True, but the Grammy have a weird way of recognizing some artists.  Remember when they gave Jethro Tull the "best heavy metal" award for Crest of a Knave:lol:
    That was when they beat out Metallica but then they won it the following year.  That was a great year actually when Metallica played the long version of One.  THAT was a cool moment.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I'm also seeing people still don't know who Bonnie Raitt is? This was like when her Nick of time album won a lot of Grammys and no one knew who she was then either
    That is a damn shame, one of the best voices in country music.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

That was when they beat out Metallica but then they won it the following year.  That was a great year actually when Metallica played the long version of One.  THAT was a cool moment.

Yeah, for sure!

Funny thing here- I was looking for my post on this thread and they were GONE!  Then I notice there are two 2023 Grammy threads.
    Merge-o-matic time, Mods!  :lol: