2023 Grammys

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    edited February 2015
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    You have to take the Grammys for what they are and with a grain of salt, but I enjoy watching them every year.

Thought Hozier and Annie Lennox just slayed, easily the best performance of the night! The other performances I enjoyed the most were Beyonce, Beck & Chris Martin, Sia/Kristin Wiig/Maddie Ziegler, Sam Smith & Mary J Blige, and Paul McCartney/Rihanna/Kanye.

Super happy for Beck, deserved the dark horse win in that category for sure, but holy crap Kanye needs to learn to put his ego away (which will never happen). What a selfish thing to do. Can't say I'm surprised though.

Most deserved award was St. Vincent's win for her album for Best Alternative Album, and biggest snub, IMO, was that Paramore won for Best Rock song for Ain't It Fun--they were up against Jack White and Ryan Adams amongst others in that category--that's some BS!!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Sia's voice is unreal, and Kristen wig killed it with her interpretive dancing.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Is there a bigger piece of shit than Kanye? What a douchebag.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Agreed. May be larger logs but he's among the top floaters.

I don't put much stock into the Grammy's anymore, but jeez...dude won (and Beck is one talented motherfucker).

Kanye always has to make things about him. No wonder he married into the attention-whore family. Fits right in!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Grammys lost all street cred when this guy beat out And Justice For All ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdIQIS50Jj7xAtyRjXkVAm8RUv-cJUO9_I_Y01yJ33vgTRldni
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If I was in a room with Kanye, Hitler, and Pol Pot and had a gun with two bullets... I'd shoot Kanye. Twice.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Kayne is the biggest dick in all of entertainment ............
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    If I was in a room with Kanye, Hitler, and Pol Pot and had a gun with two bullets... I'd shoot Kanye. Twice.

good one.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Ya, that was fucken hilarious dyer
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Although I don't think Beck's album should have been in the rock album category. That and U2 probably kept Lightning Bolt from being nominated
    I miss igotid88
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I agree with sam...you take the Grammys for what they are.

LL Cool J calling Taylor Swift "T Swizzle" ? I don't think even Snoop talks like that anymore.

John Mayer looked like he was auditioning for the next Buddy Holly movie (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Not a fan of hers, but Taylor Swift looked as though she was enjoying herself, as a 20-something should (and who cares what Pharrell looked like as he was watching her).

As for who won or who lost....doesn't matter to me.
    ELITIST FUK
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    igotid88 said:

kqs62lbe9ex0hwvtzhdn.gif

he looks pissed at the end.... lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    A dubstep song with Bieber guesting won a Grammy. Time to go full Dog Day Afternoon on the members who voted.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited February 2016
    I really enjoyed Kendrick Lemar's performance a lot.

Adele was horrifying... Justin Bieber actually did way better than her with a good band backing him (yeah, she had sound issues, but also her voice was all over the place. She must have been mortified). I think Beiber's voice sucks, but for a little douche like him, he did the best he could, lol, so good for him.

The Bowie tribute by Lady Gaga was good enough. She pulled it off.

I did not at all like the song choice for Alabama Shakes' performance. Boring. In fact, I don't love the album they just won a Grammy for. It's fine. Doesn't do much for me though.

I thought the BB King Tribute with Gary Clarke Jr and friends was excellent.

The Lionel Ritchie tribute was partly good - John Legend was particularly great; i love him - but a lot of it was not so great. Weird performers for some of that.

Was very happy to see Ed Sherran win his Grammy - I like him very much, and I really like that song a lot.

The actually Grammy awards part was all awful. So many production errors. So boring. So many shortcuts around the actual awards, lol. All the "and he has already won 3 Grammys today!" comments, while none of us saw any of them being won and no clue what they were. Really really stupid.

As for the Taylor Swift speech... had no clue it was calling out stupid Kanye West at the time. Without knowing that her speech was fine. Now knowing that, her speech was fine, although it was a little drama queen. On the other hand, if it mattered to her, then it's good she said it. It WAS a very offensive lyric on Kanye's part. She doesn't make my style of music generally, but I respect Swift. She is very talented. And I really love Ryan Adams' cover of 1989, and i have her to thank for it.

Btw, album of the year AND record of the year awards? What's the criteria that makes them different awards???

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    That Bowie tribute by Lady Ga Ga was cool.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I happened to like Adele's performance. I could not handle listening to the little Canadian twit and changed the channel.
    Not familiar with Alabama Shakes, gaga's tribute felt a tad awkward. Gwen Stefani's performance was alright I kinda like her stuff.
    Fell asleep after the Lemmy tribute, so I can't comment on anything else.
    Grammys are more of a popularity contest, not a talent contest.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    RKCNDY said:

I happened to like Adele's performance. I could not handle listening to the little Canadian twit and changed the channel.
    Not familiar with Alabama Shakes, gaga's tribute felt a tad awkward. Gwen Stefani's performance was alright I kinda like her stuff.

They lost all credibility when Celine Dion won album of the year over Mellon Collie, Odely and The Score.

I didn't get to see it anyways since I work the late shift on weeknights.
    PJ_Soul said:

Btw, album of the year AND record of the year awards? What's the criteria that makes them different awards???

Album of the Year is for a full album and is awared to the artist & production team.
    Record of the Year is for a single track and is awarded to the artist & production team.
    Song of the Year is for a single track and is awarded to the songwriter(s).
    I'm glad Mark Ronson won another Grammy... but man oh man. He's now won ROTY for the two worst songs he's ever produced. The entirety of his catalog is miles better than fuckin' Rehab & Uptown Funk will ever be.
    Chemical Brothers got robbed. Diplo is cool in my book, but Skrillex & Bieber can go jump in a lake with cement shoes.
    I would like to have seen Kacey Musgraves win but I don't know a damn thing about any of the other country artists. All I know is Pageant Material was the first country album I've bought since Dwight Yoakam's This Time in 1993.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJ_Soul said:

I really enjoyed Kendrick Lemar's performance a lot.

Adele was horrifying... Justin Bieber actually did way better than her with a good band backing him (yeah, she had sound issues, but also her voice was all over the place. She must have been mortified). I think Beiber's voice sucks, but for a little douche like him, he did the best he could, lol, so good for him.

The Bowie tribute by Lady Gaga was good enough. She pulled it off.

I did not at all like the song choice for Alabama Shakes' performance. Boring. In fact, I don't love the album they just won a Grammy for. It's fine. Doesn't do much for me though.

I thought the BB King Tribute with Gary Clarke Jr and friends was excellent.

The Lionel Ritchie tribute was partly good - John Legend was particularly great; i love him - but a lot of it was not so great. Weird performers for some of that.

Was very happy to see Ed Sherran win his Grammy - I like him very much, and I really like that song a lot.

The actually Grammy awards part was all awful. So many production errors. So boring. So many shortcuts around the actual awards, lol. All the "and he has already won 3 Grammys today!" comments, while none of us saw any of them being won and no clue what they were. Really really stupid.

As for the Taylor Swift speech... had no clue it was calling out stupid Kanye West at the time. Without knowing that her speech was fine. Now knowing that, her speech was fine, although it was a little drama queen. On the other hand, if it mattered to her, then it's good she said it. It WAS a very offensive lyric on Kanye's part. She doesn't make my style of music generally, but I respect Swift. She is very talented. And I really love Ryan Adams' cover of 1989, and i have her to thank for it.

I thought Taylor Swift handled Kanye very well. Got her point across without having to be nasty about it.

Can't stand Alice Cooper so turned off that performance.

I though the Gaga Bowie tribute was ok. Looked to me like a lot of it was lip synced which i hate. Shame because her National Anthem at the Super Bowl was fantastic.

thought the Eagles were fairly boring. I know their not a rip roaring exciting band but looked like they were going through the motions.

Thought the Lionel Ritchie tribute was pretty good. Actually thought Demi Lovato nailed her part. and Lionel can still sing at his age.

BB King tribute was good but mostly because I think Gary Clark Jr. is awesome.

RKCNDY said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Lemmy tribute with Alice Cooper and Johnny Depp. It was really shitty. That's why I forgot about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

PJ_Soul said:

Album of the Year is for a full album and is awared to the artist & production team.
    Record of the Year is for a single track and is awarded to the artist & production team.
    Song of the Year is for a single track and is awarded to the songwriter(s).
    Thanks!

RKCNDY said:

They lost all credibility when Celine Dion won album of the year over Mellon Collie, Odely and The Score.

I didn't get to see it anyways since I work the late shift on weeknights.
    Her husband was like the CEO of Sony music or something right? Her album contract was with Sony...yes/no?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Im going to take a guess and say the last time I watched the Grammy's was 1976 or 1977. I am serious.

Anyway, I woke up today and read a headline about Lady Gaga performing some sort of tribute to David Bowie. I figured I would give it a look. I truly know NOTHING about Lady Gaga. I could not tell you 1 song she sings. If someone here turned me on to some of her videos, there is no way in hell I would watch 1 second of her. But I figured I would watch her tribute to Bowie.

Not bad.
    Not Out Of This World......But not bad
    She tried.
    It is not something I will remember a month from now, nor is it something I will view again in the future.

In other words, I thought it was pretty fucking BLAH.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I admit, I DVRed it to watch Hamilton. And also Adele. I liked Lady Gaga, too. But please don't make me ever, ever watch that Bieber creature. And I don't like Taylor Swift either - at least Gaga and Adele can sing. Oh, and I love Kacey Musgraves.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    I usually LOVE the Red Carpet but last night it was BORING! This is really the one place I want to see some outrageous stuff, esp for the Grammys...but all I got was Yawnnnnn. After about 1/2 hour of the show itself I switched to The Westminster Dog Show. It was much more entertaining for me and I can't wait to see the woofers they have on tonight. Plus the big winner!

I'll go watch Gaga cause I really want to see that. But I don't need to sit through 4 hours for 3 minutes...
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!