5 PJ songs to indroduce to a potential fan

Comments

• TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    It doesn't work. People have to want to discover it for themselves. Most people today haven't the slightest inclination to listen to music that would have them consider themselves or others. We fans are the lucky ones, the ones who have found what we have been searching for all along...beauty and truth, no fluff at all! BUT I don't want to be a wet blanket about this so I would consider the person (and I do this here and there, but it usually never even gets played, sad) and then do my best to rock them hard. The latest CD I passed along opened with these five tunes

Life wasted
    World Wide suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    sleight of Hand

I think the first 4 on the LP Pearl Jam is the best opening of all releases

In joyous part
    T.T.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Just Breath
    Come Back
    Given To Fly
    Black
    Blood
  • wvueers1wvueers1 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 61
    This isn't my top 5 (right now) but trying to lure someone in ....

Just Breathe
    Faithful
    Even Flow
    Corduroy
    Hard to Imagine

This is impossible btw.
    Fan since the beginning, but 1st PJ concert ever -- Phoenix, AZ 11-19-13

Love boat captain
    Take the reigns,.. steer us towards the clear.

M.Y.T.H. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear

tumblr_mtr7i1ZXuo1r0d33so1_400.gif
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    FrankieG wrote:
    It depends on who the person is... P

100% depends on who you're trying to turn on to PJ

Are they:

Headbangers? Why Go; Porch; SOLAT; Alive; DTE

Easy listeners? Wishlist; GTF; The Fixer; All those yesterday's; Light Years

Achingly deep? Release; Sleight of Hand; Present tense; Nothingman; Who You Are

The idea is to start slow and don't be over bearing.

This band is not for everyone and I know of cases where people shove it down others throats so much that people actually end up hating the band because of just that.
  • This is a fun one.

Do the evolution. This one Always grabs them

Even flow...

Yellowledbetter...

Who You are. Even though they will NEVER hear it live...

Betterman...

If this don't grab 'em nothing will...
  • QA185761QA185761 Posts: 271
    FrankieG wrote:
    It depends on who the person is... P

100% depends on who you're trying to turn on to PJ

Are they:

Headbangers? Why Go; Porch; SOLAT; Alive; DTE

Easy listeners? Wishlist; GTF; The Fixer; All those yesterday's; Light Years

Achingly deep? Release; Sleight of Hand; Present tense; Nothingman; Who You Are

The idea is to start slow and don't be over bearing.

This band is not for everyone and I know of cases where people shove it down others throats so much that people actually end up hating the band because of just that.

Again....just some random person in your life that you would like to convince that PJ is worth a spin
  • It all depends on their personality. Are they a rocker, or are they more mellow?

If they're mellow, I'd go with something like:
    1) Elderly Woman
    2) Given To Fly/Wishlist
    3) Betterman/Nothingman
    4) Release/Low Light
    5) Black/Dissident

(just five that come to mind)

If they're more rocker, the first five that come to mind are something like:
    1) Alive
    2) RIFTW...even though it's a cover, it's a good rocker
    3) Leash
    4) Evolution/Rearviewmirror
    5) Mind Your Manners

The key tricks:
    1) Tap into their personality
    2) New songs
    3) The radio staples
    4) Something in-between old and new
    5) Maybe something a little deeper

Exactly what PureandEasy said...tap into them. Start slow and don't over-do it.

I started in 1999 with Last Kiss and the LO2L version of Elderly Woman both being played a lot on the radio.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    It all depends on their personality. Are they a rocker, or are they more mellow?

If they're mellow, I'd go with something like:
    1) Elderly Woman
    2) Given To Fly/Wishlist
    3) Betterman/Nothingman
    4) Release/Low Light
    5) Black/Dissident

(just five that come to mind)

If they're more rocker, the first five that come to mind are something like:
    1) Alive
    2) RIFTW...even though it's a cover, it's a good rocker
    3) Leash
    4) Evolution/Rearviewmirror
    5) Mind Your Manners

The key tricks:
    1) Tap into their personality
    2) New songs
    3) The radio staples
    4) Something in-between old and new
    5) Maybe something a little deeper

Exactly what PureandEasy said...tap into them. Start slow and don't over-do it.

I started in 1999 with Last Kiss and the LO2L version of Elderly Woman both being played a lot on the radio.

I hear you too.

But could you please provide a list of five songs that you would offer to someone that you do not know in hopes that they would continue listening.
  • bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    1. Long Road (Mansfield 2003)
    2. Grievance (Letterman)
    3. Betterman (Any live version will do)
    4. Animal (Studio version)
    5. Breakerfall (Studio version, with nice headphones on... amazing)

Cover: Rockin' in the Free World (TB2000 video)

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
    Cover: Rockin' in the Free World (TB2000 video)[/quote]

It is very hard to stick to five I know.

But it is only limited to 5songs in hope that the listener will choose the sixth
  • bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    QA185761 wrote:
    Cover: Rockin' in the Free World (TB2000 video)

It is very hard to stick to five I know.

But it is only limited to 5songs in hope that the listener will choose the sixth[/quote]

Understood. That was a bonus. My original list is my five.

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    I have come to this conclusion - PJ isn't something that's "forced" upon others. They and their COMPLETE catalog of music are an "entity" that make others discover PJ for themselves. And when they do, it's a beautiful thing.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

YLed2 wrote:
    I have come to this conclusion - PJ isn't something that's "forced" upon others. They and their COMPLETE catalog of music are an "entity" that make others discover PJ for themselves. And when they do, it's a beautiful thing.

Try to say that to a random person without 5 songs in mind
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    RM70601 wrote:
    Again, I like all your songs, but I Am Mine for a newbie is a terrible choice.

Also 'Unthought Known' is a Terrible choice for a Newbie or an Oldie...lol
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    i_lov_it wrote:
    RM70601 wrote:
    Again, I like all your songs, but I Am Mine for a newbie is a terrible choice.

Also 'Unthought Known' is a Terrible choice for a Newbie or an Oldie...lol
    :lol:
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    QA185761 wrote:
    YLed2 wrote:

Try to say that to a random person without 5 songs in mind

That's the thing. You can't and it's the beauty of it. They literally are a band that are made to be discovered beyond their first 3 studio albums, and 3 is being polite for most casual fans. They are a band meant for "re-discovering" what you initially thought of them in that first 3 album mode - not to mention their live hierarchy/prowess and discography.

If I had to absolutely choose 5 songs for a new potential "green" fan:
    Release
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Black
    Corduroy
    Elderly Woman

And I could very well throw Hard To Imagine, Given To Fly, Dissident, and Animal in there.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• I'd go for

Alive
    Black
    Given To Fly
    Getaway
    Thumbing My Way
    Happy up here in my tree
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    only live versions..
    rvm..california 2009
    daughter..seattle 2000
    black..marseille 2006
    yellow ledbetter..athens 2006
    do the evolution..stockholm 2012
    only for potential fan yeah?....
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman
    Brain of J
    Present tense
    Black
  • DS80666 wrote:
    Just Breath
    Come Back
    Given To Fly
    Black
    Blood

This is really good but I think I'd change blood to RVM. I love blood but I think RVM fits better to round out the 5.
    Walks on his own... With thoughts he can't help thinking...
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Give them weird.

- Cropduster
    - Comatose
    - Hitchhiker
    - Evacuation
    - Oceans
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • jen.ryanjen.ryan Posts: 339
    1. Release
    2. Immortality
    3. Indifference
    4. Given To Fly
    5. Present Tense
    1992 - Saratoga Springs NY 8/4/ (Lollapalooza)
    1996 - Buffalo NY 10/1
    1998 - New York (MSG) 9/11
    2000 - Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/
    2006 - New York (Ed Sullivan Theater) 5/4, Albany NY 5/12, Boston MA 5/24
    2008 - Hartford CT 6/27 Mansfield MA 6/28
    2010 - Hartford CT 5/15/10, New York (MSG) 5/21/10
    2013 - WRIGLEY! 7/21 Worcester MA 10/16, Hartford CT 10/25
    2015 - Philly 4/28, Philly 4/29, Fenway 8/5
    Eddie Solo
    Boston Opera House 8/2/08, Albany Palace Theatre 6/9/09

• KateAKateA Posts: 182
    Out of my personal experience of introducing PJ to newbie - they instantly got the liking for:
    1. Even Flow
    2. Do the Evolution
    3. Yellow Ledbetter
    4. Getaway
    5. Infallible
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    These are the songs that really hooked me onto PJ...and I discovered them on my own.

Alive
    Black
    Nothing As It Seems
    Given To Fly
    Yellow Ledbetter
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • PennyBPennyB Posts: 26
    I am ashamed to say that I've only really discovered Pearl Jam in recent years :oops: I don't know why I missed them in the 1990's.

The songs that got me hooked first (from seeing YouTube live videos from PinkPop 1992) were:

1.Alive
    2.Black

Then I bought the Rearviewmirror compilation and immediately liked:

3.Rearviewmirror
    4.Betterman

That left me wanting to hear more and I then went on to by all their studio albums, plus some live bootlegs and now Lightning Bolt too.

For my final choice, I'll go for:

5. Present Tense

Because I think it showcases so many aspects of the band's music - thought-provoking lyrics, quieter passages leading to out and out rock. Love it!
  • jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Not my personal top five, but you got to go "hits heavy" if introducing someone:

Alive
    Betterman
    Daughter
    Small Town
    Corduroy

You could throw in Lightning Bolt or Sirens in there for some new stuff too, that's pretty accessible. If it were a full album, I would introduce them to a good bootleg first. We all know they sound better live.
  • Haywood YablomeeHaywood Yablomee Posts: 608
    edited December 2013
    There's waaaay too many fans right now fighting for available tickets... It's time to purge!!

Play them:
    -Ole
    -Johnny Guitar
    -Evil Little Goat
    -The Fixer (I personally can only think of "Target" every time I hear this song)
    -Last Kiss

F.Y.I. It's "introduce"
    Post edited by Haywood Yablomee on
  • Great... Love the Blood from Berlin '96!! Listen to that version at least 4 to 5 times a week!! "This Blood's for you".
    Black from Finsbury is fantastic too but I believe it's "Without your match, .....".
    The Even Flow is kinda disturbing though...
    "Ooh freezin', rests her head on a pillow made of Tampax, again,
    "Ooh feelin', maybe she should've bled a few days all the way.

"This band -- yeah, we'll play for a cause every once in a while if it's a good one. Well, this is one that's gonna affect us all. Dee, the drummer from L7, has not had her period for almost two months -- she's a little bit worried about it. So, we dedicate the song 'Even Flow' to her, to her menstrual cycle!"

Might scare them away!!

LOVE the silver boots though!!

Alright, lets get weird. I rarely listen to studio stuff once they release a majority of the new stuff live, so id go the live route

1) Alive - Pink Pop 92 - with the "you survived today" intro
    2) Even Flow - from either Soldier Field 95 (dedicated to *Wesley Willis of Chicago. Hear ed scream "VOICES, VOICES" after the "looking through the paper though he doesnt know to read" line, an obvious reference to Willis who was diagnosed w/schizophrenia) or ahoy, rotterdam 1993
    3) Blood - Berlin 1996 (or any version of blood where he sings a little "atomic dog", this one is special cause he does atomic dog and some of Bowie's "Fame", then i think it goes into "suck you dry" by Mudhoney
    4) Porch - Atlanta 1994 ("you fuck with me? Ill fuck with You!" then a little of Sonic Youth's Androgynous Mind thrown in) Pure awesomeness.
    5) Black - from 06/06/1992 Finsbury Park - absolutely love the intro to this..."Light your match, there is NOOOO flame!"

Alright so i switched up jeremy for a live blood, cause blood is the shit. I especially love the "digga-jigga wowmp WOWMP," i think stone plays right after the "paint ed big, turn ed into one of my enemies"

Also, simply show them Porch from Pink Pop 1992 on youtube, shit show them the entire performance. Ed almost kills Jeff with a Mic stand during alive, and then the infamous, most insane stage dive ive ever seen...

*if you know nothing about Wesley Willis i recommend reading up on him. his music is nowhere near for everyone, but he led an interesting life and left an influential legacy
    If Evil Little Goat can't scare us away than nothing can.

But to play this to a noob out of a short list of five at the present time they would not consider it music. In fact they would probably consider it shit.

Evil Little Goat was a taste of what was stored in PJs' mind that was spilling out; music in the making if you will.

These tidbits on the earlier records were way ahead of their time much like Sirens is today. ;)

Aye Dav is one of those songs that can be played on an elevator or at a party and it would get equal responses from listeners. '"What am I listening to"?

If you were to tell them it's Pearl Jam I would love to see their reaction.

Great... Love the Blood from Berlin '96!! Listen to that version at least 4 to 5 times a week!! "This Blood's for you".
    Black from Finsbury is fantastic too but I believe it's "Without your match, .....".
    The Even Flow is kinda disturbing though...
    "Ooh freezin', rests her head on a pillow made of Tampax, again,
    "Ooh feelin', maybe she should've bled a few days all the way.

"This band -- yeah, we'll play for a cause every once in a while if it's a good one. Well, this is one that's gonna affect us all. Dee, the drummer from L7, has not had her period for almost two months -- she's a little bit worried about it. So, we dedicate the song 'Even Flow' to her, to her menstrual cycle!"

Might scare them away!!

LOVE the silver boots though!!

Alright, lets get weird. I rarely listen to studio stuff once they release a majority of the new stuff live, so id go the live route

1) Alive - Pink Pop 92 - with the "you survived today" intro
    2) Even Flow - from either Soldier Field 95 (dedicated to *Wesley Willis of Chicago. Hear ed scream "VOICES, VOICES" after the "looking through the paper though he doesnt know to read" line, an obvious reference to Willis who was diagnosed w/schizophrenia) or ahoy, rotterdam 1993
    3) Blood - Berlin 1996 (or any version of blood where he sings a little "atomic dog", this one is special cause he does atomic dog and some of Bowie's "Fame", then i think it goes into "suck you dry" by Mudhoney
    4) Porch - Atlanta 1994 ("you fuck with me? Ill fuck with You!" then a little of Sonic Youth's Androgynous Mind thrown in) Pure awesomeness.
    5) Black - from 06/06/1992 Finsbury Park - absolutely love the intro to this..."Light your match, there is NOOOO flame!"

Alright so i switched up jeremy for a live blood, cause blood is the shit. I especially love the "digga-jigga wowmp WOWMP," i think stone plays right after the "paint ed big, turn ed into one of my enemies"

Also, simply show them Porch from Pink Pop 1992 on youtube, shit show them the entire performance. Ed almost kills Jeff with a Mic stand during alive, and then the infamous, most insane stage dive ive ever seen...

*if you know nothing about Wesley Willis i recommend reading up on him. his music is nowhere near for everyone, but he led an interesting life and left an influential legacy
    There's waaaay too many fans right now fighting for available tickets... It's time to purge!!

F.Y.I. It's "introduce"

:lol:

Just realized the spelling error in my OP :fp:

Thanks