Options

Let the speculations come...

fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
edited August 2013 in The Porch
...with all the petitions and wishlists going, and a clock that seems to tick, and tick, and tick, and not really counting down, I thought it would be fun to start a speculation thread. And with speculation I mean: what can we derive from the interviews and comments here and there from this album. How should we interpret these comments etc.

One clear rule: lets stay constructive. Lets not get down on the spiral of negativity (like "it is going to suck for it will be BS II" etc.) and lets try to motive our speculations. For all clarity and puposes: this is just meant to spare some time and let the clock tick faster and get some of the anticipation going again.

For me, what I always liked about an upcoming album were the speculations, the snippets and the fan views. (For the lucky bastxxx that heard the album prior.) And the official reviews. For now we have little information to go on. What we so far could go on is:

- each album had its unique flavour, overarching themes and tastes; I think that this album will not be an exception. So...
- we now its "deeper". In what way? Lyricwise? More introspective?
- we now that some songs are compared to Pink Floydish; does this mean soundscape wise? More sonic spaces, build ups etc.? We already know that some songs will be longer than 5 minutes. (Will they be 6 minutes? 7 minutes?)
- will the piano intro at the tour trailer be on the album? For that one sounded dark.
- Mike spoke of a speed metal influenced song; was this MYM?
- what will be the overarching theme if we look at the artwork. We see lightning bolts, religious references (Islam, orthodox christianity, maybe even Greek Mythology) how does this fit with the lyrics we haveof LB and do we already start to see an overall concept? Is the song LB indeed about relationships, as some claim, or is it about spiritual and religious experiences...
- Any idea what Sirens of Infallible could be about?

Lets try to pull our resources together and speculate away... Lets use any quote we can find out there in this thread. And lets try to accumlate all fanviews, confirmed tracklists and formal reviews when they start rolling in.

Like stated above: this is just for fun and to waste some time other than petitions etc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    My money is on pearl jam being first ballot at the RRHOF
  • Options
    I just hope there are enough loud brash PUNKrock inspired songs to counter balance the "mid-tempo rocker" and snoozerific slow songs we have come to know and (some of us) love from later life Pearl Jam (not really in the Parachutes fanclub myself but I understand those that like the quiet stuff) ...

what I can say is that my longtime bro, who is fond of not really caring for later day Pearl Jam stuff (he is an oldschool metal fan, with dueling primary loves for both Sabbath and Soundgarden since puberty) but who definitely recognizes their eminence ... HE HEARD MYM FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY AND HE ***REALLY LIKED IT***.
    I mean, nearly tears in his eyes like it, which he hasn't done for a pearl jam song since You Are when we listened to Riot Act baked as fuck day of release.

I just hope there is more of this balls-heavy punk rock riffage that is FINALLY laced with the SONIC INTENSITY that we have come to know and love from pearl jam.

Here is what i am really getting at, and what he and i deduced yesterday:
    ***Pearl Jam is finally at the point of taking their punk and DIY-rock influence (which really surfaced mid career, no-code and especially binauaral and after) and have FINALLY MELDED IT WELL with their longstanding "Stadium Rock-Cum-Grunge bombast and sonic soundscaping" signature sound. There was a great while where (for me, at least) the "punk" songs were just too simple. There was nothing "wrong" with them, they just didn't have the textures, the production, or the solos and arangements that we have come to know and love from those fully polished pearl jam gems. They were songs that kind've just "were". WITH MYM pearl jam indicates that they have finally succeeded (imho) of melding those two influences. The song is VERY clearly hard punk (a'la metal) but the soundscaping on top of it (and also the "U2-ish", or "the fixer-ish", if you prefer, breakdown verses towards the middle) -- these are that primary influence (the 70's rock -- the kiss, the cheap trick, the aerosmith that we know mike, jeff, and stone all love, the production, the multiple guitar lines) that always seemed lacking in the punk songs ... I THINK THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT. ***

i am very VERY cautiously optimistic about Lightning Bolt from the perspective of a fan who really gets off on the louder end of the PJ spectrum. (look i like a lot of the soft stuff guys, but i look to the loud stuff with so much anticipation)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    My money is on pearl jam being first ballot at the RRHOF

Pj has been around 23 years, and I thought 25 years was the requirement?

Once they are eligible they are almost certainly a lock to be in :)
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    And my opinion of what's to come?

A great year :D...

I know I know lol
  • Options
    I just hope there are enough loud brash PUNKrock inspired songs to counter balance the "mid-tempo rocker" and snoozerific slow songs we have come to know and (some of us) love from later life Pearl Jam (not really in the Parachutes fanclub myself but I understand those that like the quiet stuff) ...

what I can say is that my longtime bro, who is fond of not really caring for later day Pearl Jam stuff (he is an oldschool metal fan, with dueling primary loves for both Sabbath and Soundgarden since puberty) but who definitely recognizes their eminence ... HE HEARD MYM FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY AND HE ***REALLY LIKED IT***.
    I mean, nearly tears in his eyes like it, which he hasn't done for a pearl jam song since You Are when we listened to Riot Act baked as fuck day of release.

I just hope there is more of this balls-heavy punk rock riffage that is FINALLY laced with the SONIC INTENSITY that we have come to know and love from pearl jam.

Here is what i am really getting at, and what he and i deduced yesterday:
    ***Pearl Jam is finally at the point of taking their punk and DIY-rock influence (which really surfaced mid career, no-code and especially binauaral and after) and have FINALLY MELDED IT WELL with their longstanding "Stadium Rock-Cum-Grunge bombast and sonic soundscaping" signature sound. There was a great while where (for me, at least) the "punk" songs were just too simple. There was nothing "wrong" with them, they just didn't have the textures, the production, or the solos and arangements that we have come to know and love from those fully polished pearl jam gems. They were songs that kind've just "were". WITH MYM pearl jam indicates that they have finally succeeded (imho) of melding those two influences. The song is VERY clearly hard punk (a'la metal) but the soundscaping on top of it (and also the "U2-ish", or "the fixer-ish", if you prefer, breakdown verses towards the middle) -- these are that primary influence (the 70's rock -- the kiss, the cheap trick, the aerosmith that we know mike, jeff, and stone all love, the production, the multiple guitar lines) that always seemed lacking in the punk songs ... I THINK THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT. ***

i am very VERY cautiously optimistic about Lightning Bolt from the perspective of a fan who really gets off on the louder end of the PJ spectrum. (look i like a lot of the soft stuff guys, but i look to the loud stuff with so much anticipation)

Even though I more a fan of the milder stuff, I also like some good old fashion punk. I know what you are saying with MYM. It is more than a punk song (which in essence should be "simple".) There are more layers here that remind me of metal. The bassline is somewhat punkish and the singing style too. (You could tell they were trying to realize something Dead Kennedy's-like.) But the music is much more complex. This is most shown in the solo. For some too short with not enough space. But it fits in the song. It is almost a speedmetal solo. What I am trying to get at is that this song by itself already shows a diff. direction from BS with def. darker lyrics and...

The time signature is also intesting in this song.

"All they are saying: mind your manners". Reffering, in my interpretation at least, to the "family values" discussion, while at the same time show opposite behaviour. Simple lyrics, but much more than meets the eye or ear (or heart for that matter).
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I think they'll give us a fairly decent album but from what I've heard closer to Backspacer than Binaural. MYM is good, Lightning Bolt sounds ok, shades of Unthought Known/Wishlist maybe but the instrumental sections are a bit disjointed in places and the chorus made me cringe a little. At least it is the sound of the band spreading it's wings again. Future Days didn't move me one bit unfortunately, like a poor extension of Just Breathe or The End but with none of the heart or soul of these tracks. Difficult to judge songs when not heard in HQ and within the context of the album though. I don't feel like I'm going to be surprised by what I hear but I don't feel like I'm going to be disappointed either.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    I think they'll give us a fairly decent album but from what I've heard closer to Backspacer than Binaural. MYM is good, Lightning Bolt sounds ok, shades of Unthought Known/Wishlist maybe but the instrumental sections are a bit disjointed in places and the chorus made me cringe a little. At least it is the sound of the band spreading it's wings again. Future Days didn't move me one bit unfortunately, like a poor extension of Just Breathe or The End but with none of the heart or soul of these tracks. Difficult to judge songs when not heard in HQ and within the context of the album though. I don't feel like I'm going to be surprised by what I hear but I don't feel like I'm going to be disappointed either.

Well of course there is some time between Binaural and BS. I think they went, somewhere down the line, "going back to our roots" thing, while Binaural was more like expanding their sound and sonic landscape. (Literally, with even experimenting recording wise.) To me RA was somewhat of a turning point. Here it was not about expanding, but by laying down a time capsule and create an atmospheric album, close to being claustrofobic. Even though I have to hear of course the studio versions of LB and FD - live versions, especially if they still have to be played in - are diff. to judge, and I do hear some influences from BS, there is also something different to them. What I noticed in both songs is that there are references of cyclones, lightening, storms - there is something forboden in that. LB seems lyrically a heavier version, thematic wise, than FoN for examlple. But like you said, it all depends on the context. Since FB seems like more of a band effort, I will not compare it immediatly with JB or TE; those were (on purposely) stripped down songs. FD seems a bit more than that.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Call it experimental or art rock, whatever you like. I, personally like to use the term 'art rock' for Binaural. For me, it represents an unexpectedness in the structure of songs, use of instruments and existence of multi-layeredness; which come together in a beautiful way.
    I think a few songs in the new album will possess these elements. Which has been called as deep by Brendan O'brien or Pink-Floydish by Mike McCready.
    But I am not sure it will be enough to call the whole album 'art rock' like in the case of Binaural. LB and FD definitely do not fit in there.
    I am not much worried about the length of songs. PJ is a band that can create the mood and all these elements above in a 3-4 minute song. Take for example Grievance. Or Insignificance. With PJ, you dont have to have a 6-7 minute song to go outside of the classic patterns.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1