Options

Black Box Society

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    on2legs wrote:
    What kind of secret society announces the date and location of it's next meeting on a public message board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIP7CAtAak#at=21

oh...
    and
    http://www.cgmna.org/Conference.htm

Eh... Just seems like a call for attention to me. But whatever floats their boat.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    This is what happens when we're still 2 months out from the new album drop. I heard crazy shit would happen on the forum and people would start climbing the walls. Guess that was true!

Props to the guys who keep it all wide open, are willing to help, and make the live music available to everyone.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options

Props to the guys who keep it all wide open, are willing to help, and make the live music available to everyone.

+1
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    flikk22flikk22 Posts: 14
    yeah, it's hard to tell if the op made a very detailed and effective bit of "secret society satire," in which case s/he deserves a "well done," or is actually posting this in all seriousness, in which case s/he deserves a "go fuck yourself."
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    The Black Box exists. It has for some time. This is not a joke.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Hello,

Ok, due to overwhelming PM's and talk among members, its time to announce that: Yes its TRUE, there is a Black Box Society. Founded in 2005, the Black Box Society is a group of PJ fans that own copies of a hard drive that houses All Recorded PJ shows (audio and video). Its not all the shows, because as we know, not all shows were recorded (i.e. 1991, 1992), but whatever is recorded the Black Box houses it for posterity . . .

The Black Box Society is an international group. The members are invited to join. Membership is approximately 152 strong as of July, 2013. The members meet once a year for a private party in a city that is determined, usually by a PJ tour, for updating the Black Box, voting on applications, and for a social/business mixer. The next meeting is in NYC- October 2013.

This information is posted for informational purposes only. Most members do not post in this forum. I usually receive many PMs regarding the Black Box Society, but please refrain from PM'ing me, because I cannot invite you to join. I am simply a 2nd degree member and I was instructed to post this, that's all the information I have.

I am curious to know what other giant time wasters the group has come up with since PJ tours less now. Sorry, but this is the dumbest thing I have read on this board, and I read all my posts after I type them so that is saying a lot. You were "instructed" to post this? There are levels? Are we grown adults here? This has to be a joke. If so, I fell for it. If not, ridiculously stupid. Animal sounds the same as it did 10 years ago. They may play a lot of different songs but they play them the same way over and over.

I stopped collectin boots a long time ago. Check out Springsteen boots as you'll get numerous versions of his hits, instead of the same version of Alive that's been played since '91.

Somehow, reading the OP's marvellings was more fun than your bashing the great PJ songs.
    About Alive, everytime I hear it, it sounds different to me. Maybe you should wash your ears more often.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    THE RITE AND RITUAL OF THE THIRD DEGREE OF THE BLACK BOX SOCIETY (BBS) OF THE MAMASANS:

The candidate is divested of all wearing apparel, except his shirt and drawers and pearl jam socks, and if he has not the latter, he is furnished with a pair by the brethren preparing him. The drawers are rolled up just above the candidate's knees, and both arms are taken out of his shirt-sleeves, leaving his legs and breast bare, and exposing his sacred Stick Man Tatoo. A rope, technically called, "That by which he Thumbs His Way", is wound around his body three times, and a bandage, or hoodwink, is tied very closely over his eyes. (See engraving.)

When the candidate is prepared, the Junior Deacon takes him by the left arm, leads him up to the door of the Lodge, and gives three loud, distinct knocks (the opening drum count to Evenflow).

The BBS-Senior Deacon, who has stationed himself at the inner door, at the right of the Senior Warden, on hearing these raps rises to his feet, makes the sign of a 10 of Clubs to the Master (see Fig. 6, p. 18), and says:
    "Worshipful Master, while engaged in the lawful pursuit of the Mamasans, there is an alarm at the inner door of our Lodge."

W. M.--You will attend to the alarm, and ascertain the cause.

BBS Deacon gives three loud knocks (• • •), which are responded to by one (•) from the parties outside. The Senior BBS Deacon then answers with one rap (•), and opens the door.
    CANDIDATE DULY AND TRULY PREPARED.
    CANDIDATE DULY AND TRULY PREPARED.
    (See Note J, Appendix.)

BBS. D.--Who comes here?

J. D.--Brother Gabe, who has been regularly initiated Entered Apprentice, passed to the Degree of Fellow Craft, and now wishes to receive further light in the BBS, by being raised to the sublime Degree of a Master Mamasan.

BBS. D.--Brother Gabe, is it of your own free-will and accord?

Candidate--It is.

BBS. D.--Brother Junior Deacon, is he worthy and well qualified, having attended the appropriate number of shows?

J. D.--He is.

BBS. D.--Duly and truly prepared? His hard drive checked for errors, and all files passed MD5 verification?

J. D--He is, and it has.

BBS. D.--Has he made suitable proficiency in the preceding degrees? He knows the lyrics to all songs, and the order of all songs on all albums, including fan club singles and unreleased tracks?

J. D.--He has.

BBS. D.--And properly vouched for within the 10 club?

J. D.--He is.

BBS. D.--Who vouches for him?

J. D.--A brother.

BBS. D.--By what further right or benefit does he expect to gain admission?

J. D.--By the benefit of a previously uncirculated bootleg from a 1991 Mookie Blaylock show.

BBS. D.--Has he the FLAC files?

J. D.--He has them not, but I have helped him encode the WAVs myself.

BBS. D.--Advance, and tell me.

Junior Deacon here steps forward and whispers in the Senior Deacon's ear, "R-C-K-N-D-Y 07/04/91"

BBS. D.--This is good; you will wait with patience until the Worshipful Master has verified the show and an answer returned.

Hahaha, tnx for insider info. This was fun.
    And I was wondering what do they do when they come together.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Two things:
    I'm suspicious of any society with the initials B.S. in it.

But the reference to the full pro shot of the "April 1994" MTV clips would suggest there is
    A proshot floating around of the 4/11/94 boston show (dissident and Solat were the clips MTV aired)
    This was my first PJ show and I would give a kidney for a proshot to replace the fan shot video that's on record.

I just hope the OP is not referring to the famous Orpheum 4/12/94 footage that's already out there?

This would be a shocker if true?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 702
    Ha. Good group of pj fans just having fun. They gave me a random box in Boston 08.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Not sure what this group is, or what they have....but if anyone out there isn't familiar with these three sites then here you go:

http://www.jam-river.com/pearl-jam/en/video/full-list.html

http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules/news/

http://www.gremmie.net/ http://gremmie.net/basement/

Enjoy. If anyone else has any other sites that I am missing feel free to share. These three sites have so much stuff it's insane.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    This shit is so lame it makes Magic the Gathering cool
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    I'm still confused. Is there anything on this thing that isn't available already?
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    04/11/94 boston pro shot you cannot access.

I need that video.. That was my first PJ show..
    Been in the 10c ever since!
    Pretty please..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    I'm still confused. Is there anything on this thing that isn't available already?

I was wondering the same thing.
    If there is, why is it limited to a select few?
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    04/11/94 boston pro shot you cannot access.

I need that video.. That was my first PJ show..
    Been in the 10c ever since!
    Pretty please..

Yeah I just noticed that. That stinks man...I'll keep an eye out if I ever come across anything.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    So let me understand, this society has raw cut bootlegs taken directly from the sbds of all the official releases?
    Can I ask wether this includes the 2006 and 2010 tours which had some of the poorest mixes of all time?

And please humour me, no disrespect but if this is a secret society why reveal this on the board?

If this is a joke.

Ha, ha you got me.

But what's the point ?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Hello,

Hey how are ya? Don't know if you remember, but we sat next to each other at Chris Cornell a the Pavilion a few years ago.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    If this does exist then obviously there is some interest in having it spread around. I have been able to get my hands on a pretty complete collection just through the various sites available that most of us already know about (2000-2006) and 1990 to 1999 though some file I found a long time ago somewhere that I can't remember. But, unlike the BBS, I am willing to trade/share. That's the part of their existence that just doesn't make sense to me. Such an elitist attitude. If they claim to be about preserving this information for posterity or whatever then what benefit do they have to keep it under wraps other than to feel self-important. Open the vault dammit! Share the love.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    hey im just gonna defend the BBS for a hot second, assuming it is real (i have no reason to doubt it, perhaps minus some of the puffery presented by the OP -- ie. the "degrees", lol) .
    The unwillingness to "trade" probably stems from the fact that *some* of the material on their drives is likely derived from sources WHOM THEMSELVES have denoted "no trade" wishes. Those that have been in the trading scene a long time (not really me at all) are well aware of certain (video taped shows particularly) where the video is known to exist, and some are known to have it, but it is also well known that the person who recorded it does not want it freely traded. Some stuff on that drive probably directly controverts the express wishes of the band (95movie, flano tapes, there are some others im sure) ...

maybe this was this guys way of saying, "hey, we exist, find us if you have the will, but TPTB do not permit us to walk full in the light of day".

just sayin'.
    i didn't really pick up on any mockery or condescension.
    all i got was some awkward humor and goofball-i-ness out of it.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Can someone "in the know" comment that I read this correct?

There are post 2000 sbds of each show with no audience feed.

(I'm well aware of ALD and IEM sourced formats by the way)

That's all I'm asking?

Also , what the heck are "the flano tapes"?

That I was a HQ PJ boot guru but this thread humbled me!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,838
    if anybody wants to mail me an anonymous soundboard quality cd bootleg of the 9/29/96 randall's island concert or the 9/11/98 msg show I will gladly give you my address and I swear on all my children I will share it with no one. thank you.

Mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    Can someone "in the know" comment that I read this correct?

There are post 2000 sbds of each show with no audience feed.

(I'm well aware of ALD and IEM sourced formats by the way)

That's all I'm asking?

Also , what the heck are "the flano tapes"?

That I was a HQ PJ boot guru but this thread humbled me!

Flano tapes http://www.anteroboots.com/modules/reco ... etails=993

• Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293

Quote from that thread:
    Hi, in reference to a Pearl Jam hard drive:

There are certain PJ fans, most of whom do not post here, who are members of the "Black Box Society". The members try to share the Black Box with all worthy PJ fans. It has given its members countless hours of enjoyment . . .

The Black Box is an external hard drive housing all recorded Pj shows. Recorded shows, not all shows, because some of the early shows have yet to circulate, which doesn't necessarily mean they were not recorded, just have yet to be circulated in the traders' community (if they still exist). I'm sure there are other kinds of Black Boxes out there.

There is approximately 780 shows on the Black Box (1990-2011). Unfortunately, the Black Box will never be uploaded here because the band is still selling 2008-2010 shows, and as always, the members of the Black Box Society will never do anything to offend the band and/or Ten Club.

Good luck in creating an external hard drive, if you all band together, I'm sure you can do it. But keep a look out for a mention of the Black Box, because I bet its closer than you think.

Cheers

It would be interesting to hear the criteria for being a "worthy PJ fan".
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Quote from that thread:
    Hi, in reference to a Pearl Jam hard drive:

There are certain PJ fans, most of whom do not post here, who are members of the "Black Box Society". The members try to share the Black Box with all worthy PJ fans. It has given its members countless hours of enjoyment . . .

The Black Box is an external hard drive housing all recorded Pj shows. Recorded shows, not all shows, because some of the early shows have yet to circulate, which doesn't necessarily mean they were not recorded, just have yet to be circulated in the traders' community (if they still exist). I'm sure there are other kinds of Black Boxes out there.

There is approximately 780 shows on the Black Box (1990-2011). Unfortunately, the Black Box will never be uploaded here because the band is still selling 2008-2010 shows, and as always, the members of the Black Box Society will never do anything to offend the band and/or Ten Club.

Good luck in creating an external hard drive, if you all band together, I'm sure you can do it. But keep a look out for a mention of the Black Box, because I bet its closer than you think.

Cheers

It would be interesting to hear the criteria for being a "worthy PJ fan".

I wonder why they can't share the bootlegs prior to 2008? I understand that if boots are still available that they are not meant to be shared, but share the other ones. All PJ fans are "worthy" of listening to shows from their favorite band, right? Personally, I think certain members of the band may be against the elitist attitude that is reportedly exhibited by this groups members.
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    Too much fun.

Probably includes audio archives (lossless versions of old show), 2000- present official boots, circulating videos.

With a 20 year history it's not hard to fill hard drives. Think I'm at 3 for PJ right now.

If the bbs has Vegas 98 or la2 98 videos, I have plenty to offer.
  • Options
    I'm open... Scuse the pun
    To a generous Pm pointing me along the yellow jam road..
    Very discrete!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    RB90590 wrote:
    Too much fun.

Probably includes audio archives (lossless versions of old show), 2000- present official boots, circulating videos.

With a 20 year history it's not hard to fill hard drives. Think I'm at 3 for PJ right now.

If the bbs has Vegas 98 or la2 98 videos, I have plenty to offer.

I was at LA2! I remember Vedder dancing to the riff in Evolution. Would love to have that show!

How much stuff do u have? I'll mail you a hard drive or two for some cool stuff.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    Whether this club is real or not makes no difference, sounds pretty douchey to me.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    weird