Options

Criticism of MYM because of religious beliefs

Comments

• Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    I would say it as much a stretch to believe in God as it is to believe we all came from some particles.

Well..... one is based on scientific evidence and logic, the other uses faith (which is believing in something that has no evidence). But whatever, I don't think the song is aimed at people believing in magic men in the sky, people can believe in whatever they want, but its aimed at religion in general, in particular organized religion like the Catholic Church.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    why now u dont religioning??
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    dankind wrote:
    why now u dont religioning??

:lol::lol:

Am I getting old? I cant understand the fucking words! :oops:

But, if Ed is questioning religion, maybe the lightning bolt comes into play somewhere..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    If a person takes the time to look around the world today, you'd find the most wonderful and thought provoking things imaginable...such as beauty in creation, the simple joys of parenthood, and the warmth of drinking a bottle of wine around a campfire with friends. :D

You can also find the horrors of death and suffering, greed and deceit, selfishness and hypocrisy. Any organization or group of people that is responsible for the suffering of others should and will be held accountable.

I believe in God, I believe in living life to the best of one's ability, and I also believe in appreciating the good in all we see around us. But, there is also some things that are evil in this world that cause us to feel anger and despair!

I believe that you have to have a hope and faith in something bigger.....or else, what do we have?

"There's so much in this world that makes me believe."
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    Always Question Authority
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    If a person takes the time to look around the world today, you'd find the most wonderful and thought provoking things imaginable...such as beauty in creation, the simple joys of parenthood, and the warmth of drinking a bottle of wine around a campfire with friends. :D

You can also find the horrors of death and suffering, greed and deceit, selfishness and hypocrisy. Any organization or group of people that is responsible for the suffering of others should and will be held accountable.

I believe in God, I believe in living life to the best of one's ability, and I also believe in appreciating the good in all we see around us. But, there is also some things that are evil in this world that cause us to feel anger and despair!

I believe that you have to have a hope and faith in something bigger.....or else, what do we have?

"There's so much in this world that makes me believe."

Right on!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    grazman wrote:
    I think the song is attacking religion and those who tell people if you don't believe in God you will burn in hell etc. Fine by me :) I like a good 'athiest' song.

And it's not like this is the first time Ed has been vocal about his non-belief.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Not only do I love the subject matter in the lyrics of this song....very thought provoking.... I am so fucking sick and tired of hearing Christians whine about being "persecuted" by non-believers. If I criticize your crackpot way of thinking, regardless of what it is, I'm not persecuting you. I'm trying to help you wake the fuck up before it's too late.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    unforgiven wrote:
    I actually find the criticism of MYM because of religious beliefs interesting. I have seen people say that the song is an attack on peoples beliefs. I don't really agree with this line of thought. I do believe that the song criticises the machine that religion has become. Christianity and religion has a lot to be ashamed of, Child sex abuse cover ups as an example. I believe this song attacks the religious organisations that allowed such things to happen. I think this is highlighted in the line "what they take is more than a vow, they've taken your innocence and then they throw them on a burning pile"

This song is extremely well written and I am proud that it is a Pearl Jam song.

Agree with this. I admit that when I first heard the song I was a bit taken aback. I have strong spirituality and identify with a religion. I have never thought of my favorite band as being possibly close minded to criticize peoples beliefs. Question, yes. Make as re examine, yes. I love all the songs in pj catalog with lyrics that make us cock our head to the side and say, what was that again? This was what I've been missing!! I'm more than delighted it's back!! This song is a criticism of the people in power in any religion who have abused the religion and f*cked it up, not of the beliefs of individuals.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    kevedderkevedder Posts: 80
    I do think the song has a "meaning of life" vibe to it. I think it is from the perspective of a person who isn't either religious or anti-religious, but as a few people have pointed out, sees the hypocrisy in all religions. Whether it be Muslim extremists or priests who have sexually abused children, or even just when bad things happen and you think "if there is a god how could he/she let that happen?".

The Mind you Manners part to me is the pussy footing around that we often feel we have to do in society so as not to offend people of particular religious beliefs.The best part of the song is the repeated final verse and the realisation that there may or many not be an afterlife, no one know the answer to this mystery. There could be a heaven/afterlife...there may not be.

I don't think Ed or whoever wrote the song is being anti-religious. Just asking questions which is the basis of most religious faiths. And for those who are anti-religious need to still respect other people's beliefs and certainly not put shit on their beliefs.
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    asgoodasedasgoodased Posts: 109
    Not only do I love the subject matter in the lyrics of this song....very thought provoking.... I am so fucking sick and tired of hearing Christians whine about being "persecuted" by non-believers. If I criticize your crackpot way of thinking, regardless of what it is, I'm not persecuting you. I'm trying to help you wake the fuck up before it's too late.

You do realize that that's what believers probably think to you as well, right? If you get annoyed when someone tries to tell you you need to be "saved", then you'd just be doing it in reverse. It has to go both ways or it doesn't work.
    I am right by your side...
  • Options

What you have stated is just ignorant. As a Christian I am not offended by what you say because it is not really of any intellectual merit. I just don't get why some non-believers as you call yourself feel the need to even make comment on other people's beliefs. Maybe people don't need your help, and I don't know that they are banging down your door asking for your help.

Put simply: I believe in God. I may be right or wrong. You don't believe in God. You may be right or wrong. Neither of us have access to an answer.

The whole "before it is too late" comment sounds a little too 'end of the world religious' for me...
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    kevedder wrote:

What you have stated is just ignorant. As a Christian I am not offended by what you say because it is not really of any intellectual merit. I just don't get why some non-believers as you call yourself feel the need to even make comment on other people's beliefs. Maybe people don't need your help, and I don't know that they are banging down your door asking for your help.

Put simply: I believe in God. I may be right or wrong. You don't believe in God. You may be right or wrong. Neither of us have access to an answer.

The whole "before it is too late" comment sounds a little too 'end of the world religious' for me...

I actually find this argument interesting. Isn't want you are arguing against a key component of most organised religions. The saving of the souls of others is important in most religions.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,930
    Recruitment innit.

I like a punk song that tells organised religion to go fuck itself.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    unforgiven wrote:
    I actually find the criticism of MYM because of religious beliefs interesting. I have seen people say that the song is an attack on peoples beliefs. I don't really agree with this line of thought. I do believe that the song criticises the machine that religion has become. Christianity and religion has a lot to be ashamed of, Child sex abuse cover ups as an example. I believe this song attacks the religious organisations that allowed such things to happen. I think this is highlighted in the line "what they take is more than a vow, they've taken your innocence and then they throw them on a burning pile"

This song is extremely well written and I am proud that it is a Pearl Jam song.

Agree with this. I admit that when I first heard the song I was a bit taken aback. I have strong spirituality and identify with a religion. I have never thought of my favorite band as being possibly close minded to criticize peoples beliefs. Question, yes. Make as re examine, yes. I love all the songs in pj catalog with lyrics that make us cock our head to the side and say, what was that again? This was what I've been missing!! I'm more than delighted it's back!! This song is a criticism of the people in power in any religion who have abused the religion and f*cked it up, not of the beliefs of individuals.

That's what i believe MYM is about as well. Targets the dividers and not the good people. Great tune.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,247
    cp3iverson wrote:
    This song is a criticism of the people in power in any religion who have abused the religion and f*cked it up, not of the beliefs of individuals.

That's what i believe MYM is about as well. Targets the dividers and not the good people. Great tune.

Me three. I hear criticism of abuse of power, not of shetellsherself for having a strong personal faith. I think of an individual's religious beliefs as being separate from the actions of a/any church hierarchy. Perhaps that's the result of my being raised outside of a strongly centralized religion. ::shrug::

I post stuff on Facebook all the time about the Catholic Church's ongoing child sex abuse scandal, because that's the kind of thing that throws me, as a mother, into full rage mode. Some people have complained that I am attacking their relationship with G-d. Well, no, I am not -- not unless having sex with twelve-year-olds is the linchpin of your religious beliefs. My criticism is of the people who let this sort of thing happen, and then tried to cover it up, and I really don't care if their religion is Catholicism or Islam or collegiate football.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    cp3iverson wrote:
    This song is a criticism of the people in power in any religion who have abused the religion and f*cked it up, not of the beliefs of individuals.

Me three. I hear criticism of abuse of power, not of shetellsherself for having a strong personal faith. I think of an individual's religious beliefs as being separate from the actions of a/any church hierarchy. Perhaps that's the result of my being raised outside of a strongly centralized religion. ::shrug::

I post stuff on Facebook all the time about the Catholic Church's ongoing child sex abuse scandal, because that's the kind of thing that throws me, as a mother, into full rage mode. Some people have complained that I am attacking their relationship with G-d. Well, no, I am not -- not unless having sex with twelve-year-olds is the linchpin of your religious beliefs. My criticism is of the people who let this sort of thing happen, and then tried to cover it up, and I really don't care if their religion is Catholicism or Islam or collegiate football.

Another very good response, how are you criticising someones belief by stating your disgust at the abuse of power of some officials in the church. The Catholic church could go along way to addressing these issues by making sure that the correct procedures are in place and providing adequate compensation to those involved. a lot of the church denies any wrong doing and the church continues to sit on its billon $ industry.
  • Options
    unforgiven wrote:

Another very good response, how are you criticising someones belief by stating your disgust at the abuse of power of some officials in the church. The Catholic church could go along way to addressing these issues by making sure that the correct procedures are in place and providing adequate compensation to those involved. a lot of the church denies any wrong doing and the church continues to sit on its billon $ industry.

A few things to point out: Firstly the Catholic Church is not an "industry". Yes there have been child sex abuse in the Catholic Church and yes for a long time it was swept under the carpet. In the same way it was in many areas of society. But to cast a wide brush over the whole religion because of the disgraceful behaviour of a minority and yes it is a minority is grossly unfair. I have added an article for reading on this:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... n-men.html

I am a massive Pearl Jam fan and love the fact that they have a voice and that they contribute large amounts to charity. I think you will find though, that Christian organisations contribute enormous amounts of money and labour to areas all around the world that making the contributions of Pearl Jam look rather insignificant. Have a look at the major aid agencies, welfare agencies, any outreach centres and you will find that the majority have a religious affiliation. The headline "Christian agency supples schools, running water and food to a community of 500" doesn't have the same attraction as "Catholic priest accused of abusing 8 year old".

I'm merely offering another perspective. The fact is that when you say 'how are you criticising someone's belief by stating your disgust at the abuse of power of some officials in the church' - I can tell you how. When you condemn Catholicism or Christianity because of the actions of a minority you are criticising those who belong to that faith.
  • Options
    TrueReligionTrueReligion Posts: 134
    cant this be moved to the religious forum :corn:
  • Options
    kevedder wrote:

So, wait, you admit you're not too sure about the existence of God, huh? Why pretend if you don't have faith? Just putting it out there for your "public image", huh? Typical. Good job.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

I'm not religious at all.... heck, the building trembles when I enter it for xyz occasion, but I have to ask, why Christians? Is that to infer you are not "so fucking sick and tired" of comments and radicals from other religions?
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    kevedder wrote:

I agree, no need to bash people for what they believe unless its affecting other peoples lives. I think that's whats great about Ed Ved lyrics, its open to many interpretations. To me its a anti-religious song, others will see it differently. I don't believe in God, some people do believe in God... no point in bashing what people believe. I think the point of the lyrics is to criticize religions in general and organized religion that do lots of harm aswell as good in world. Ed might have meant something else but that's what I think.

Anyway, im off to play with the pixies down the bottom of the garden.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

I'm not religious at all.... heck, the building trembles when I enter it for xyz occasion, but I have to ask, why Christians? Is that to infer you are not "so fucking sick and tired" of comments and radicals from other religions?

I don't hear the "persecution" whining from any other religions. It's a purely Christian phenomenon.
  • Options
    Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 241
    Anyone who follows anything blindly should be called out. Nothing is above constitutive criticism. For too long, I think religion was viewed as above criticism and look what happened.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Zero evidence for the existence of any god and religion is humanity's species-wide embarrassment and shame.

I am critical or both religion and people's faith. I'm critical of non-rationalists because irrational thinking is a threat to us all. I take that threat seriously and I don't play nice about it. No one should. I'm not sure of every lyric in the song as they haven't officially been released yet but I applaud anything that even approaches critical thinking on the matter.

No rationalist should ever mind his or her fucking manners. Speak out! Take the fight to the market place of ideas! The threat of "faith" is too real and the world's imancipation from it too necessary.

Keep it up, PJ. I'm happy you're making us think again.
  • Options
    asgoodasedasgoodased Posts: 109
    october22 wrote:
    Zero evidence for the existence of any god and religion is humanity's species-wide embarrassment and shame.

I am critical or both religion and people's faith. I'm critical of non-rationalists because irrational thinking is a threat to us all. I take that threat seriously and I don't play nice about it. No one should. I'm not sure of every lyric in the song as they haven't officially been released yet but I applaud anything that even approaches critical thinking on the matter.

No rationalist should ever mind his or her fucking manners. Speak out! Take the fight to the market place of ideas! The threat of "faith" is too real and the world's imancipation from it too necessary.

I agree, stop people like Mother Theresa and missionaries from ruining this world!
    I am right by your side...
  • Options
    asgoodased wrote:
    october22 wrote:

I agree, stop people like Mother Theresa and missionaries from ruining this world!

For every one Mother Theresa there are 10,000 pedophile priests. not to mention all the other violence and abuse that occurs at the hands of religious "leaders".
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    asgoodased wrote:
    october22 wrote:

Exactly. Mother Theresa should have been stopped. And missionaries are inherently dishonest. There are plenty of secular groups doing far more good and all without the aid of manipulation and lies. I'm happy at least someone here agrees with me. Cheers
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    It's a balls out atheist anthem, and I love it all the more for it. It could have been just a nice punchy punk rock song, but it's also a big middle finger to the idea that people need 'God'. It seems to say 'Emancipate yourselves from religion, the religious idea of heaven is really hell'. Awesome song... I love the renewed passion and energy!
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    asgoodased wrote:
    october22 wrote:

Missionaries are a good thing?
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16