Options

does pj have all the say in which cities they play?

pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
edited July 2013 in The Porch
I know there some bands let the tour managers pick all the cities, but there other bands that pick their own shit and go where they want

anyone know how pearl jam decides to pick these cities they tour? is it mostly the band sitting down and saying they want to play these cities, or it just the tour manager picking places for them?

I don't get this tour, it a nice tour, but wtf are they going to Worcester ma, instead of boston? boston where Celtics play is a bigger venue. also I guess Spokane could be there own idea since they from Washington, but it not a place most bands go

then im shocked there is no florida shows, not really since pj doesn't seem to hardly ever go there, but what is the reason? out of all the states in the usa, florida has one of the biggest rock scenes tjere a lot of people like rock music down there, and then what the deal with no las vegas show since 2006? they always played here before its an entertainment city, and no vegas since 0 6. my 2nd favorite live band tool has been here a good 5 times or so since 2006, and they don't tour that much either, but they always hit vegas
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I really don't get the las vegas thing though, you go play Brooklyn, ny city, la 2 nights which I understand all big markets. but if you play 2 vegas shows they both going to sell out, a lot of people from mexico and central America, brasil etc came to vegas in 06 for that show, and the hotel rates are so cheap in vegas especially sun-thurs, you can stay here 2 nights in a nice hotel for $50 a night during the week, why wouldn't pj want to come to las vegas? mandalay bay and mgm are decent arenas
  • Options
    I have family from Calgary, I cant fuckin believe they keep getting pj shows, no more so than montreal doesn't make any sense, Calgary got show in festival was that 09 or 10, then they got Canada tour In 2011 and now again in 2013 that pretty wack, youd think they want to play that region of north America they pick Montana a 2nd time over Calgary, 3 Calgary shows in 4 or 5 years? that is wack yet no vegas since 06, makes no sense, no florida either. why does pj hate florida? yet eddie played a bunch of solo shows there? lol :fp:
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419

then im shocked there is no florida shows, not really since pj doesn't seem to hardly ever go there, but what is the reason? out of all the states in the usa, florida has one of the biggest rock scenes tjere a lot of people like rock music down there, and then what the deal with no las vegas show since 2006? they always played here before its an entertainment city, and no vegas since 0 6. my 2nd favorite live band tool has been here a good 5 times or so since 2006, and they don't tour that much either, but they always hit vegas

They just played Florida less than a year ago.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs wrote:

They just played Florida less than a year ago.

wasn't it a festival though? I don't know florida well but people always bitch there no florida shows

BUT IM OUT WEST I WILL BITCH THERE NO VEGAS SHOW SINCE 06 AND THAT SOME SERIOUS BULLSHIT
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Worcester is only 45 miles from Boston. When they play Mansfield they are about 30 miles out. DCU in Worcester is a better concert venue than TD Garden, much better...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    they usually ask me or bostolou for MA showS,but we was busy last week with some hotties from Canada,so the choose Worcester instead of Boston,..Bummer
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    I dunno.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    I'm sure Eddie and Stone don't sit around and plot out the tour itinerary, they have tour managers work with promoters for those things.

The reason they are playing Worcester instead of Boston is simple, the itinerary takes them through the area when PT Barnum has the Garden on lockdown for a week as he does every October, its not the first time a tour has played an alternate New England venue in October as a result, U2 played 2 shows on the 2nd US leg of the Elevation tour in Providence in October of 2001 instead of Boston for this same reason....circus always takes precednece.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Do you have any idea the work that goes into planning a tour like this? It's a logistical nightmare, trust me, the band goes where they're told.
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    i imagine it's a little of both
    sure they have tour managers, but i bet PJ has some say in where they won't go
    either way - someone does not like the south
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    you have to think of a few things (logistics, negotiations) that go into touring. a few of top of head;

1. arena availability where major league teams play, nhl-nba schedules for fall 2013 are not out yet. arena ownership will likely have several "hold" dates for non major league teams they can hold for scheduling submittal to nhl, nba, etc. what are their primary considerations for future holds? $$$, ask yourself if pj tix both 10c and non 10c are above market selling price, in my city, they will be below what other major artists are selling their tickets for currently, hell look at fleetwood mac's prices, holy shit, their concert gross ($) for toyota center in Houston back in May was absurd.

2. going back to the $ thing, 10c has clearly scored a high # of seats per arena for us on this tour. some arena ownership groups are likely just not down w/that high of allotment to a fan club. if they think pj can sell out, they want a higher # of higher priced tickets available at elevated prices for the biggest gross possible.

if this tour was over the summer my guess is more big cities would have been named and amphitheaters would have been the venue of choice.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I think I remember on the Immagine in Cornice DVD Ed said something to the effect of, "I just go where they tell me to go..."
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    I didn't know about the circus in town for boston that explains why they not playing there, but for the sports arena in la, im thinking it because of laker clippers kings games, they needed to book the venue sooner to get it and they didn't so they choose sports arena instead

what is the better venue for sound in la, staples or sports arena? I notice black Sabbath choose to play the sports arena too instead of staples.

it just weird how pj management skips some cities and picks others a bunch that probably shouldn't get so many shows like Calgary, it weird seattle got 1 show and Vancouver got 1 show, if I was tour manager I would of give se attle 2 shows and Vancouver 0, its all in the same area it only a 2 hour drive. sure vegas can drive to phoenix, la ,sd but they all a bit farther, and vegas is more entertainment than Calgary lol, very weird. and no florida shows again not that I care but damn that a huge populated state, just like texas only getting 1 show, sucks if you in texas you got to travel so far to shows :fp:
  • Options
    iamica wrote:
    I think I remember on the Immagine in Cornice DVD Ed said something to the effect of, "I just go where they tell me to go..."

they should just all sit in the room the band, and pick their own cities lol, fat mike did that for nofx :lol: the manager and sound guy was in the room with them but they just picked it on their own lol

if eddie could pick where he want to play I wonder if he go to Colombia, and Singapore, and south Africa and israel :lol:
  • Options
    pearl jam would probably sell out in Colombia and Israel dunno about the other places, surprised they have never played Russia

as for usa cities surprised they don't go to texas or florida more
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    Clearly the band members have no say, or Jeff wouldn't have let them do a date in OKC, the city that stole his beloved Sonics from Seattle. :lol:
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I would bet it is a little of both. I don't think they sit around and go "Fuck Mississippi. I'm never stepping foot in there again".

I bet it is more like the band has a handful of cities they love to play and then there are those that just make sense since they are nearby or on the tour route and then there are those that are just not doable.

I've been thinking this since 2006 or so. They like to play in big places in front of large crowds. They also only do small tours now. You put those two things together and that is why you get multi-night shows in the NE cities and festivals and no shows in Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, Nashville, etc. and so on. West coast makes sense because you just draw a line from San Diego to Seattle and hit every big city on the way there.

This is the new normal. I just can't believe they sprinkled in Dallas and OKC in between the coasts. I am not even surprised at them skipping Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. They probably figured they would get two guaranteed sell-outs rather than adding a couple of shows hundreds of miles away and diluting the crowd somewhat.

This is just all my opinion.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    This is the textbook version of how most tours are booked:

Once they are ready to do some shows, a band's agent contacts the promoters in the cities the band wants to play. The promoters, usually more then one in each city, make an offer for the band to play for a guaranteed fee, plus any additional monies once ticket sales hit a certain level (this is called "overage"). Once the terms are in place, and the band's management is ok with the dates, the agent and promoter sign a deal memo.

A tour manager isn't usually involved with booking shows...their duties start a few weeks/months before the shows begin.
  • Options
    R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    This is the textbook version of how most tours are booked:

Once they are ready to do some shows, a band's agent contacts the promoters in the cities the band wants to play. The promoters, usually more then one in each city, make an offer for the band to play for a guaranteed fee, plus any additional monies once ticket sales hit a certain level (this is called "overage"). Once the terms are in place, and the band's management is ok with the dates, the agent and promoter sign a deal memo.

A tour manager isn't usually involved with booking shows...their duties start a few weeks/months before the shows begin.

Pretty much sums it up. PJ's agent is at William Morris on the west coast. He works with the bands manager (Kelly Curtis) about how long they want to tour for. Management reaches out to the venues in the areas of interest for who will "buy" the show. From there they select cites/venues based on logistics.
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    iamica wrote:

they should just all sit in the room the band, and pick their own cities lol, fat mike did that for nofx :lol: the manager and sound guy was in the room with them but they just picked it on their own lol

if eddie could pick where he want to play I wonder if he go to Colombia, and Singapore, and south Africa and israel :lol:

Singapore, Hong Kong, KL, Tokyo, Seoul.....I'd poop my pants