Options

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else going to see this? I'll still watch it this weekend, but even though I'm a big Star Trek fan I'm not too excited about this one. It looks like a bunch of eye candy without much substance. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. It has an 88% rating on rottentomatoes so far.
2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i didn't plan on it....

but caught the last star trek on tv last night....until i feel asleep midway thru. wasn't actually a bad movie.

i'll peep the new one at some point. maybe a memorial day weekend movie marathon.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I'm going to the fan preview IMAX shindig tonight, I'll let you know how it is.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Im not a Star Trek fan, but I enjoyed the last one. I might catch this on DVD someday.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    We're going to see it this weekend with our sons. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Loved the first one, excited about the new film. Only watched one trailer for the new movie, so I'm going in pretty fresh.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    "Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that."

Wil Wheaton

i agree, i'm sure it will be an entertaining movie, but it's not star trek.
  • Options
    JBiiJBii Lake Spivey Posts: 354
    This Sunday baby
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    anyone else this yet? Saw a matinee this morning, really good! must see!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    We went this afternoon. It was a good movie! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,236
    My son and I saw it yesterday afternoon. Great summer blockbuster type movie....
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    Saw it sunday morning, not a star trek fan at all...saw the last one and liked it. JJ Abrams is a great talent and has made this franchise more ACCESSIBLE to the action movie fans as opposed to only Trekies and sci/fi folks. I've heard from a few hardcore fans not too happy about that...but oh well.

Movie had a nice pace and the action sequences were really cool. I enjoyed it
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I've heard from a few hardcore fans not too happy about that...but oh well.
    :wave: :ugeek: :thumbdown:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I enjoyed it, thought it was a fun movie.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I'm a Star Trek Fan, Thought the Sequel was solid, in fact Sequels really don't get much better than the New Star Trek.

It was not a flawless movie, but it had many moments of brilliance which more than makes up for any issues,

SPOILER

(Except the literal 'White' wash of a main character)
    -
    The theme of 'Following Orders, when those orders are 'unjust' was great, the 'who we really are when pushed to the limit as a person' I loved.

Lot's of 'Truth' in the movie.

:ugeek:

:thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    h
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    why are they still using flip phones?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    making mccoy simply a comedic focal point was just one of a long list of problems i had with this film
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    making mccoy simply a comedic focal point was just one of a long list of problems i had with this film

i didn't love it, and as i said in the other thread, the throw backs were a bit much (Khaaaannnnn, radioactive kirk, tribbles)

that said, i didn't think it was bad. seems like it was more of a set up film for what lies ahead.

i will say, it's nice to see the old characters back, vs. the next generation series. that series/movies were just unwatchable for me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i didn't love it, and as i said in the other thread, the throw backs were a bit much (Khaaaannnnn, radioactive kirk, tribbles)

that said, i didn't think it was bad. seems like it was more of a set up film for what lies ahead.

i will say, it's nice to see the old characters back, vs. the next generation series. that series/movies were just unwatchable for me.

I agree. I liked TNG a lot growing up, but outside of various episodes here and there, I don't think the series has aged well at all, and their movies are just like longer episodes (with the exception of First Contact). I was also thinking the same thing about McCoy. It's not like he was just spouting off one liners all the time in the original series and movies movies.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think they built a really strong cast ... and with this alternate universe - they should have ran with it ...

i liked the subtheme of kirk leading and how he would sacrifice anything for his crew ... they could have built that into a better story imo ... one that wasn't a throwback ...