******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    i wasnt aware new coaches were allowed to conduct a pre-draft mini camp...

http://www.csnphilly.com/eagles/eagles- ... draft-camp
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Wow, what a press conference. It actually had a pulse and some reporters were laughing and enjoying themselves. So different than Andy's when the media knew they weren't going to get an answer.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Wow, what a press conference. It actually had a pulse and some reporters were laughing and enjoying themselves. So different than Andy's when the media knew they weren't going to get an answer.

philly fans...the only city in america that judges coaches on press conferences :roll:

oregon sanctions came out today. kelly move is a money grab. 3 year tenure tops.

it's gonna be a disaster. esp if he takes geno smith or ej manuel.
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

philly fans...the only city in america that judges coaches on press conferences :roll:

oregon sanctions came out today. kelly move is a money grab. 3 year tenure tops.

I'm not judging shit on a PC. It's called an observation. I didn't like Andy's PCs. It doesn't mean I'm judging him based off it.

Go be a tough guy somewhere else.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    edited April 2013
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I'm not judging shit on a PC. It's called an observation. I didn't like Andy's PCs. It doesn't mean I'm judging him based off it.

everyone else knew what you meant jk. don't sweat it.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pj hawks...set to hate this offense :lol: i've really enjoying reading about all the excitement and "newness" surrounding this franchise. so refreshing.

also--the schedule is weird. hate opening on monday night. hate having the chiefs game on a thursday night 4 days after the home opener (though i guess it means a 4 day weekend for this guy). and i hate having the bye week in december. i do, however, LOOOOOOVE how there is no 4pm home games. :mrgreen:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... Brown.html

In Chip Kelly's 'track meet' offense expect a lot of LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown

Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013, 6:29 PM

At Oregon, Chip Kelly’s balance on offense was around 60-40.

That’s 60-40 in favor of the run.

Andy Reid’s run-pass disparity with the Eagles was nearly the opposite. You can probably count on one hand the number of times Reid ran the ball 60 percent in a game during his last eight years here.

The NFL is much different from the college game, as Kelly has been made aware of many times before. But even if his run-pass ratio is more balanced in the pros, it is safe to assume that the Eagles will rush substantially more than under Reid.

Much has been made about the Eagles uncertain quarterback situation, and rightly so. You need a potent vertical game to succeed in the NFL. But with quarterback not a strength and running back the Birds’ deepest position, perhaps more should be made of the running game.

Whether it’s Michael Vick or Nick Foles or some other quarterback under center, LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown will be carrying a great deal of the load on offense. In Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense, even two running backs won’t likely be enough.

“You’re running so much, it’s like a freaking track meet,” McCoy said Thursday after the Eagles’ final practice of three-day minicamp. “It’s like a relay. You need extra guys.”
    From the Sports Desk

At Oregon, the quarterback normally helped out on the ground. There were seasons when Kelly didn’t have a “mobile” quarterback. But that didn’t mean he ran the ball less. He just handed to ball off more to his tailbacks.

If Vick or Dennis Dixon or a rookie quarterback with fast legs wins the job, then the offense will have its share of read option plays. If the immobile Foles wins it, then it won’t.

But either way there will be plenty for McCoy, Brown, Chris Polk or whoever else to share. Oregon running backs rushed 39.2 times a game last season. The Eagles, on the other hand, averaged 20.9 carries.

Again, there’s little chance Kelly runs the ball as much as he did at Oregon. But even if the scales are more even, the number of plays in his up-tempo scheme will increase the carries.

“I think any back, no matter how great of shape he’s in, he’s going to need some extra help,” McCoy said. “I know that. Bryce is good enough. He can play.”

When McCoy was sidelined for four games last season because of a concussion, Brown exploded as the starter. He rushed for 347 yards and four touchdowns in the first two games, but tailed off in the next two, managing only 40 yards on 28 totes.

And as well as he ran in his first two starts as a rookie, Brown lost three fumbles. He said Thursday that he worked on ball security during the offseason by carrying around a weighted football.

Despite the turnover problem, Brown’s upside was encouraging. And with Kelly in charge, the options with McCoy and Brown in the backfield seem endless.

McCoy said that the Eagles have practiced more passing than running plays thus far, which is typical during non-contact sessions. But the emphasis has been more on the speed of Kelly’s offense than on any particular plays.

“I think we’ll be in the best shape in the league, for sure,” McCoy said. “There’s never a time where we’re breaking. We hustle to working out, lifting weights, everything. Even the meetings are fast.”

He continued: “In this offense, we’re shifting, moving. As soon as you get tackled, there’s no celebrations after the play. It’s strictly, get to the next play, let’s go. I think … by the second or third quarter, defenses will be tired.”

But will the Eagles’ offensive line be as tired? Kelly had the luxury of 18-22-year olds at Oregon. Three of his projected starting lineman – tackles Jason Peters and Todd Herremans and guard Evan Mathis – are over 30.

“I don’t really see too much of a difference,” Herremans said. “If you’re playing offensive line in the NFL, you’ve got to be a pretty good athlete these days.”

Still, many believe the Eagles will draft a tackle with their first pick to address this need. Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher and Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson are expected to go in the top ten.

If the Eagles do end up adding an offensive lineman, he better like run blocking.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    pj hawks...set to hate this offense :lol: i've really enjoying reading about all the excitement and "newness" surrounding this franchise. so refreshing.

also--the schedule is weird. hate opening on monday night. hate having the chiefs game on a thursday night 4 days after the home opener (though i guess it means a 4 day weekend for this guy). and i hate having the bye week in december. i do, however, LOOOOOOVE how there is no 4pm home games. :mrgreen:

In Chip Kelly's 'track meet' offense expect a lot of LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown

Andy Reid’s run-pass disparity with the Eagles was nearly the opposite. You can probably count on one hand the number of times Reid ran the ball 60 percent in a game during his last eight years here.

The NFL is much different from the college game, as Kelly has been made aware of many times before. But even if his run-pass ratio is more balanced in the pros, it is safe to assume that the Eagles will rush substantially more than under Reid.

Much has been made about the Eagles uncertain quarterback situation, and rightly so. You need a potent vertical game to succeed in the NFL. But with quarterback not a strength and running back the Birds’ deepest position, perhaps more should be made of the running game.

Whether it’s Michael Vick or Nick Foles or some other quarterback under center, LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown will be carrying a great deal of the load on offense. In Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense, even two running backs won’t likely be enough.

“You’re running so much, it’s like a freaking track meet,” McCoy said Thursday after the Eagles’ final practice of three-day minicamp. “It’s like a relay. You need extra guys.”
    From the Sports Desk

At Oregon, the quarterback normally helped out on the ground. There were seasons when Kelly didn’t have a “mobile” quarterback. But that didn’t mean he ran the ball less. He just handed to ball off more to his tailbacks.

If Vick or Dennis Dixon or a rookie quarterback with fast legs wins the job, then the offense will have its share of read option plays. If the immobile Foles wins it, then it won’t.

But either way there will be plenty for McCoy, Brown, Chris Polk or whoever else to share. Oregon running backs rushed 39.2 times a game last season. The Eagles, on the other hand, averaged 20.9 carries.

Again, there’s little chance Kelly runs the ball as much as he did at Oregon. But even if the scales are more even, the number of plays in his up-tempo scheme will increase the carries.

“I think any back, no matter how great of shape he’s in, he’s going to need some extra help,” McCoy said. “I know that. Bryce is good enough. He can play.”

When McCoy was sidelined for four games last season because of a concussion, Brown exploded as the starter. He rushed for 347 yards and four touchdowns in the first two games, but tailed off in the next two, managing only 40 yards on 28 totes.

And as well as he ran in his first two starts as a rookie, Brown lost three fumbles. He said Thursday that he worked on ball security during the offseason by carrying around a weighted football.

Despite the turnover problem, Brown’s upside was encouraging. And with Kelly in charge, the options with McCoy and Brown in the backfield seem endless.

McCoy said that the Eagles have practiced more passing than running plays thus far, which is typical during non-contact sessions. But the emphasis has been more on the speed of Kelly’s offense than on any particular plays.

“I think we’ll be in the best shape in the league, for sure,” McCoy said. “There’s never a time where we’re breaking. We hustle to working out, lifting weights, everything. Even the meetings are fast.”

He continued: “In this offense, we’re shifting, moving. As soon as you get tackled, there’s no celebrations after the play. It’s strictly, get to the next play, let’s go. I think … by the second or third quarter, defenses will be tired.”

But will the Eagles’ offensive line be as tired? Kelly had the luxury of 18-22-year olds at Oregon. Three of his projected starting lineman – tackles Jason Peters and Todd Herremans and guard Evan Mathis – are over 30.

“I don’t really see too much of a difference,” Herremans said. “If you’re playing offensive line in the NFL, you’ve got to be a pretty good athlete these days.”

Still, many believe the Eagles will draft a tackle with their first pick to address this need. Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher and Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson are expected to go in the top ten.

If the Eagles do end up adding an offensive lineman, he better like run blocking.

It will be interesting to see what the media and fan base comes up with when the runs the ball at a higher rate and wins 4 games since they've been programmed to use the same tired excuse for so many years now.

and agree the Monday night opener sucks.
    It's a 7pm Monday night opener which is better for us getting older fellows. Nothing like 3 games in 10 day to start the season. Chip better get these guys in shape.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    pjhawks wrote:

From the Sports Desk

It will be interesting to see what the media and fan base comes up with when the runs the ball at a higher rate and wins 4 games since they've been programmed to use the same tired excuse for so many years now.

and agree the Monday night opener sucks.

well you play to your strengths. dropping mike vick back 50 plus times a game was never going to work.
    4 games is what they won last year doing that. put in some balance and we'll see what happens.

the record really isn't important to me next year. i just want to see them build and improve.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JK_Livin wrote:
    It's a 7pm Monday night opener which is better for us getting older fellows. Nothing like 3 games in 10 day to start the season. Chip better get these guys in shape.

i hate the idea of going to a thursday game...especially after going to the opener just a few days prior.....but that's gonna be a fucking hell of a time down there. i envision my crew having an old school tailgate starting pretty early in the afternoon. can't wait.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This schedule of 1pm games is what I've been dreaming about for years now. Of course now my son is playing travel soccer on Sunday afternoons.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Staying or trading at 4? If we stay I'd like Star if the 2 tackles are gone. If we trade i'd like to stay in the top 10 still.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Staying or trading at 4? If we stay I'd like Star if the 2 tackles are gone. If we trade i'd like to stay in the top 10 still.

haven't been able to follow the draft as closely as i would like but i think they might be able to trade down and still get star. that would be my preference at this point, i think.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

fact that anyone gives a shit about press conferences (most of philly does for some reason) is flat out stupid

Belichick says less than reid...do you think people in boston care?

haven't been able to follow the draft as closely as i would like but i think they might be able to trade down and still get star. that would be my preference at this point, i think.

You're lucky. Stay away from the coverage until 8pm. It's all white noise anyway.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    I guess I like the pick. Seems like a solid player. It was funny watching all the teams that drafted OL in the 1st round. People were just clapping. Even with the #1 pick, how excited can you be about an OL? It's just not sexy. There will be no TD's, no sacks from him. You just don't want to ever hear his name again because if you do, he did something wrong.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I guess I like the pick. Seems like a solid player. It was funny watching all the teams that drafted OL in the 1st round. People were just clapping. Even with the #1 pick, how excited can you be about an OL? It's just not sexy. There will be no TD's, no sacks from him. You just don't want to ever hear his name again because if you do, he did something wrong.

yeah this is the definition of an "unsexy" draft.

i think we've done pretty well thus far. some big if's, but if peters and herremans, and kelce are healthy, the o line has a chance to be pretty dominant. looks like johnson has as much or more of an upside than the first two tackles that were taken.

ertz could be a monster and i love having 3 solid tight ends. redzone target.

happy with logan last night too.

nothing sexy. not trying to overthink. they just took best players available and are trying to build a solid nucleus. like it.

nassib maybe? not exactly best fit, but could be best available when they pick. we shall see...

love this quote from yesterday:
    "If they go three linebackers, we spread them out and if they go DB's, WE SMASH YOU So, pick your poison."

football!! :lol::clap::clap:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    So another thread got locked? Didn't even notice till now.

But, seriously, really? Barkley? Really?
    yep.

i actually like the barkley pick at that spot. fits in with them taking best available. the guy would have been top 10 a year ago. most had him at end of the first round, early 2nd this year. pro style offense in usc. everything i've read says he's smart. good leader. arm strength is biggest weakness.

goes to show that chip kelly will play to his team's strengths and not force things. i'm guessing this offense will resemble what they're running in new england. i like the idea of a huge open competition for qb this summer.

it's still the off season, and i was not a fan of the kelly hire, but i gotta say--i really like just about everything the birds have done thus far.

looking forward to camp.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah, it was a value pick for sure...but....well...fuck Matt Barkley.

well he is a douche, there's no denying that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah, I like where they got all their picks really. Johnson was a safe pick and will be a solid tackle, Ertz I like the most out of all the picks, Logan is a solid pickup in the 3rd, Douchebag in the 4th (okay, it's a fine value pick), and Wolff in the 5th will be nice depth. The 7th rounders don't really matter to me as of now, but overall I really like what they did. Like Kelly's direction for the most part.
    What's with all the Barkley hate? Seems like a good pick. Can't have enough QB's with you know who as the lead QB right now.

I just read that the 7th round Kruger is Paul Kruger's younger brother. He isn't even 21 yet and he's 6'6" 270! Maybe he's still growing.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    What's with all the Barkley hate? Seems like a good pick. Can't have enough QB's with you know who as the lead QB right now.

I just read that the 7th round Kruger is Paul Kruger's younger brother. He isn't even 21 yet and he's 6'6" 270! Maybe he's still growing.
    I like what we did. Not a Barkley fan but getting him in the 4th made sense. I can't wait to see a 3 TE set this year.
    Go Birds!!!!
    JK_Livin wrote:

I like what we did. Not a Barkley fan but getting him in the 4th made sense. I can't wait to see a 3 TE set this year.

i read somewhere (can't remember where, now), in addition the pats, our offense could resemble the bills back in the day with jim kelly behind center.

this training camp is gonna be fascinating. i can't wait.
    chinese-happy.jpg

why is he a douche? seems like a good dude to me.

anything is better than vick...even if barkley is a poor man's chad pennington
    The Fixer wrote:

Dude screams douche to me. Same way Nix does to you, who is high on the douche as well.
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm shocked you don't find him a douche. He reminds me of Jeff carter but less talented.
    Go Birds!!!!
    i believe he frosts his hair. that alone qualifies him as douche.

my brother thinks he's a douche because of the first time he saw him on tv. it was some high school all star game on espn like 5 years ago. dude throws a game winning td or something and instead of rushing to celebrate with his teammates he runs straight for the espn sideline camera and shoves his goofy smiling face into the lens. = douche. no doubt about it.

still like the pick though. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    and if all of you were the #1 ranked QB since you were 10 years old, you'd be douches too!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer