Options

If Pearl Jam re-recorded 'Ten' in 2013, just for fun...

LeatherMosquitoManLeatherMosquitoMan Posts: 4,034
edited December 2012 in The Porch
Would you buy it?

How different would it sound in the studio 22 years later?
-Chris
Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
2003 Brisbane 1
2006 LA 1 & 2
2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
2011 St. Louis (EV)
2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    It would be horrible.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    ... I'd maybe throw up from all the :fp: :fp: :fp: . :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    No... Nooooo. Nooooo. New music please! ;)
  • Options
    The redux is all the change I need for the album. Sooooo much better. A re-recorded version would sound probably exactly like the live version of those songs.
  • Options
    I'd buy it because I buy everything :lol:
    The same?Definitely not,couldn't possibly be with being older,life growth etc
    Bad?Probably not,just different,and different doesn't have to be bad
    If it sounded really different it would probably mean differently to me though,that's my I'm pissed off at life go to album :lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    I'd buy it because I buy everything :lol:
    The same?Definitely not,couldn't possibly be with being older,life growth etc
    Bad?Probably not,just different,and different doesn't have to be bad
    If it sounded really different it would probably mean differently to me though,that's my I'm pissed off at life go to album :lol:
    Well, as ledvedderman said, it would pretty much sound like a compilation of Ten songs from recent bootlegs with mixing. It would be pointless. Yes, it would still sound good (and different from the original album), but we basically already have the music. No need to rerecord.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I don't think Eddie knows the lyrics to Evenflow anymore. :D
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    The original sold 11 million copies. It annoys me even when the band talks about how they didn't like the mixing on it. It sold 11 million copies! It was fine the way it was even if a few thousand people want it to be less polished.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    who knows...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    The original sold 11 million copies. It annoys me even when the band talks about how they didn't like the mixing on it. It sold 11 million copies! It was fine the way it was even if a few thousand people want it to be less polished.

I wouldn't think they had too much of a say in anything about the mixing of Ten. I remember Jeff mentioning how the label rushed it so much that they rushed the pink cover as opposed to the redux color that the band originally wanted.
    I think, no matter how many copies sold, the band wants you to hear their art as they hear it. The original is really a sloppy reverby mess. It almost shows a lack of confidence in their sound as a band.
  • Options

I wouldn't think they had too much of a say in anything about the mixing of Ten. I remember Jeff mentioning how the label rushed it so much that they rushed the pink cover as opposed to the redux color that the band originally wanted.
    I think, no matter how many copies sold, the band wants you to hear their art as they hear it. The original is really a sloppy reverby mess. It almost shows a lack of confidence in their sound as a band.
    I definitely would not call Ten a sloppy mess! It's a great album. Although I do know that the band's not in love with it. It's definitely not my favorite PJ album by any means - not even close (but certainly was when it came out!!!), but it's still pretty great. Maybe not what the band wanted in retrospect, but let's not get carried away.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    maj4e wrote:

But we do... Every concert over and over and over and over (endlessly) again...
  • Options
    maj4e wrote:

But we do... Every concert over and over and over and over (endlessly) again...

Ed needs that four minute guitar solo for a smoke break.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,375
    It'll still be good. But those songs needed the Ed voice of then
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    To each their own, but I think they still sound pretty damn good when he sings them now as well. :)
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,375
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    To each their own, but I think they still sound pretty damn good when he sings them now as well. :)

Didn't say they didn't
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Didn't say they didn't
    Just saying I don't think those songs need the Ed voice of then (perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to say).
  • Options
    There is no point in even asking this hypothetical question. TEN was recorded in a time and space that can never be recreated. That music was real, They were a new band and that's what was recorded and what so many of us grew up with.

Nobody would have their opinions of the mixes on TEN if we didn't hear the band talk about it.
    TEN is unbelievable the way it is, sounds best on a cassette tape in my motorhome......the way it was meant to sound .
  • Options
    There is no point in even asking this hypothetical question. TEN was recorded in a time and space that can never be recreated. That music was real, They were a new band and that's what was recorded and what so many of us grew up with.

Nobody would have their opinions of the mixes on TEN if we didn't hear the band talk about it.
    TEN is unbelievable the way it is, sounds best on a cassette tape in my motorhome......the way it was meant to sound .

And you're probably right on it not need to even be asked, however, i'm not saying they should, or will do it, i was more just curious as to how it would sound if you threw them in a studio and said 'Record Ten all over'. For nothing more than shits and giggles. I'm not even talking re-mastering or anything like that, just how would they sound compared to the original.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    igotid88 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Didn't say they didn't

If they were to re-record Vs. I don't think Blood makes the final cut...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

And you're probably right on it not need to even be asked, however, i'm not saying they should, or will do it, i was more just curious as to how it would sound if you threw them in a studio and said 'Record Ten all over'. For nothing more than shits and giggles. I'm not even talking re-mastering or anything like that, just how would they sound compared to the original.
    They'd sound like they do on the current bootlegs.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Didn't say they didn't

If they were to re-record Vs. I don't think Blood makes the final cut...
    In think it would... I totally know what you're saying, but I think that with some real rest time leading up to the recording, some gargling of various soothing things, etc, I think he could pull it put well enough for an album. Wouldn't sound the same, but would still sound awesome (I fuckin' love Blood - one of my faves, and maybe my absolute favorite live song, but only if it's a pre-2000 performance of it). It still kicked ass last time it was performed live (that I've personally heard ... 2009 I think?), but in earlier years it was just mind-blowing IMO.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I wouldn't actually have any problem with this but as the op says, it would have to just be for a bit of fun maybe during rehearsals to loosen up. They could put it up on the site as a free mp3 also just for fun. Personally I think it would sound pretty great and I prefer Ed's tone now compared to the early 90's. Yeah, bring it on! Obviously it wouldn't eclipse the original but it would still be fun and any excuse for another version of Garden... :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12