Illogical 'disc' divisions on the bootlegs

PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
edited September 2012 in The Porch
Earlier this week I finally received my Amsterdam bootlegs (stupid customs... grr!). When looking at the track listing something struck me, something I had noticed before on previous bootlegs.

Why is there always this weird division between disc 1 and disc 2?
What I see nowadays is that the main set is on disc 1 until the next to last song. Then disc 2 starts with the last song of the main set, before going to the encore break and the encores. As there is plenty of space left on the first disc to include the final song of the main set, why put that one on the second disc, creating this jarring transition? To me this seems very illogical, or is there a clear explanation for this?

In any case, I am enjoying those live bootlegs immensely! More acts should follow that example.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I always assumed they filled the first disc up and since most PJ shows are about the same length that was just how they turned out, but if what you're saying is true I can only guess that they don't want to end disc 1 with the opening encore speech or start the 2nd with a few minutes of crowd noise followed by the speech before any tunes are heard.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I can only guess that they don't want to end disc 1 with the opening encore speech or start the 2nd with a few minutes of crowd noise followed by the speech before any tunes are heard.

I wouldn't mind the second disc starting with the encore break. I know that it's like this on a few 2000 bootlegs.
  • WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,249
    You have a limitation on the Cd, 80 minutes.
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• You have a limitation on the Cd, 80 minutes.

True.
    But if the main set is 70-75 minutes (and then a 50-55 minutes encore or you can almost say, second half), why put the final track then on the 2nd disc?