Ukulele Shopping

papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
edited May 2012 in The Porch
So, today, while my wife and daughter are at the mall, I spend about three hours at the local mom & pop music store checking out ukes. Must have played Without You and Can't Keep (the only two uke songs I sort of know) about fifty or so times.

Jason's the store manager and helping me, bringing out about six to try, some with electronics, some not...some concert and some tenor ukuleles. As I'm playing Without You (and singing it, of course), Jason asks me if that's from Eddie Vedder's Ukulele Songs? I'm thinking, cool...Pearl Jam fan, possibly? Or, could it be he's just a good store manager who knows the business enough to know what's hot with ukuleles?

Turns out, Jason was at the 1995 Soldier Field concert. Said it was his first real concert he'd been to at the time. Pretty wild, huh? I thought it was cool.

So, in between songs, and Jason spending time with other customers, he tells me he hasn't really paid much attention to Pearl Jam since after Vitalogy. For me, it's hard for me to believe that anyone could have gone to the Soldier Field show and not been hooked forever. But, it did kind of remind me about a lot of Ten Club members I read posts from that don't like a lot of the later albums and such.

Anyways, still thinking about the ukulele purchase. Does $270 sound like an awful lot to spend on a ukulele (especially my first one)? To me, I liked the beginner model almost as well for $70. Just don't know if I want to go too low, then later on want the other one, with electronics, more.
:corn:
Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Go big or go home :lol::lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142

That's what she said.
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738

That's what she said.

See,I know what I'm talkin about :fp:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Trope44Trope44 South Florida Posts: 20
    Go to any of the Sam Ash stores in Chi-area. They got a ton of Ukes from $30 to a lot
    more than $30. The Sales guys are way better. If you go to Buffalo Grove store
    the Manager there is a huge Fan.
    obmortfeem...
  • parintachin73parintachin73 Posts: 731
    Personally, I started with a decent beginner uke for a little over $100, but fell in love with the instrument so quick I wound up shelling out well over a grand for my dream uke just a few months later.
    But for the money, Lanakai makes a bunch of damn good starter ukes for not too much loot. Very playable, good sound, lots of options. I recommend you check 'em out if you decide not to go for broke.
    Good luck!
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,181
    Personally, I started with a decent beginner uke for a little over $100, but fell in love with the instrument so quick I wound up shelling out well over a grand for my dream uke just a few months later.
    But for the money, Lanakai makes a bunch of damn good starter ukes for not too much loot. Very playable, good sound, lots of options. I recommend you check 'em out if you decide not to go for broke.
    Good luck!

I did a good amount of research and got a Lanakai for Christmas and love it. Can't go wrong with Lanakai to start. I think it was $170 with a case and tuner. I got a different tuner shortly after, a snark, and love that too.
    Trope44 wrote:
    Go to any of the Sam Ash stores in Chi-area. They got a ton of Ukes from $30 to a lot
    more than $30. The Sales guys are way better. If you go to Buffalo Grove store
    the Manager there is a huge Fan.

Thanks. I forgot about Sam Ash. Guitar Center by me has a few but the selection's pretty poor.
    maverick wrote:
    Good luck!

I did a good amount of research and got a Lanakai for Christmas and love it. Can't go wrong with Lanakai to start. I think it was $170 with a case and tuner. I got a different tuner shortly after, a snark, and love that too.

Between the tenor and concert, I think I prefer the tenor uke. Two makes I played today were Luna and Makala. Didn't like the Luna as much. I'll have to check out a whole lot more before I settle on one. Even for under a hundred, which seems to be a pretty fair entry level model, I don't need something that I don't want to play.

Thanks for comments and advice!
    :)
  • parintachin73parintachin73 Posts: 731
    maverick wrote:
    Good luck!

Between the tenor and concert, I think I prefer the tenor uke. Two makes I played today were Luna and Makala. Didn't like the Luna as much. I'll have to check out a whole lot more before I settle on one. Even for under a hundred, which seems to be a pretty fair entry level model, I don't need something that I don't want to play.

Thanks for comments and advice!
    :)
    I prefer the tenor personally. Could be because I've been a guitar player for almost 20 years or maybe it's the increased tone and presence, but I like the tenor much better. I do have a soprano that I bought in Dublin that I tinker with from time to time, but that more for nostalgic purposes.
    My advice, take your time and find the one you really like and make sure that it "feels" right.
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Check these guys out...

http://www.ukerepublic.com/

Quite a variety and range of prices
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    I bought my first uke outside the Barbican Centre in London, UK for 28 pounds. Pretty good deal! Don't you think?
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    If you can afford it and think you will play it (and not leave it in its case gathering dust like me :fp: :oops: ) then I don't think $270 is too much to spend :) .

I bought a Fender ukulele online from Hawaii Music Supply http://www.theukulelesite.com/ . They were efficient and quick to reply to my questions.

The ukulele was US $199 then I paid $60 to ship it here to Australia. They setup the ukulele for you as well, so it is all ready when it arrives.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com