Options

wish me luck - demo lesson tuesday, may 8th!

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
hope that got your attention. :)

i taught art for 10 years and moved on for numerous reasons. now, i am 7 years out of the classroom and looking to return. never an easy thing, but most especially in my subject specialty, art, also a big part of why i left in the first place.

sooooooo, after lots of work, getting on many approved/hire lists, phone interviews, job fair, etc ... i have a teaching demo this thursday. that's the good news; bad news is it's in a truly shit area/school, possibly scary, haha HS.

i've got 20 minutes, subject of my choice. 25-30 8th/9th grade students. pretty sure what my lesson will be, keeping it fairly simple and hopefully interesting and fun. plus, minimal materials since 1. not much time 2. i must supply all materials. so paper, pencils, black sharpies, that's it.

a teacher friend suggested i have the kids wear name tags or have name tents. now, i don't see HS kids in a fairly rough neighborhood wearing name tags, but using name tents - good idea?

i am planning on wearing a suit (trousers) and of course will have multiple copies of my resume and lesson plan. also my teaching portfolio.

anyone have suggestions for handling the lesson, possible classroom management issues that may arise - yikes! - and any ideas for updating my teaching portfolio, MUCH appreciated.

my demo is thursday, so i have 2 solid days to prepare, any/all suggestions welcome.

thanks in advance! 8-)

i'm not even certain i want the job given the possible negatives, but i plan on going onwards with the demo no matter what simply for the experience/practice, and sure, who knows? if anyone works in a rather dicey school/neighborhood, would love to read about your thoughts and experiences. as much as i want to get back to teaching, i also don't want to fear for my personal safety, so thursday will also be a good first exposure to see my comfort levels in the area.

*and to any of my dear non-teacher friends pop in this thread, a BIG mea culpa for not emailing, returning PMs keeping in touch, etc. much has been going on since december, i've thought of you all even if i've been horrid keeping up/in contact. after this week, i will try to catch up - thanks always for your friendship. :)
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    How many students will be in your class?

If you are concerned about keeping their attention, make sure there is plenty of activity for the young men. If they are having fun they won't be disrupting the class. Humor goes a long way as well as a friendly and patient response to questions. ;):D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    With high schoolers, it's all about making the lesson relatable (sp?) to them and what's going on in their world. I taught H.S. history, and I enjoyed using art to help students relate to whatever historical event we were studying.

In terms of classroom discipline - proximity to your students cannot be understated. If you're cowering in the corner, they're not going to notice your presence. If you're walking around the classroom, making eye contact with them, asking for their input, there's less opportunity for them to goof off.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I don't think high school student like name tents either. They don't see the point and think it's nerdy. I'd just forget that part. And yeah, don't take any shit! They'll respect you for it in the long run! Good luck!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i know 2 people teaching in NY ... one in brooklyn and the other in queens ... they both hate their jobs and it's not because of the students ... the one in brooklyn has taught in bad neighbourhoods ... it's the administration ... it seems there is a huge disconnect and the administration is not really there for the teachers creating a very unsupportive network and environment for teaching ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I would watch this movie and take notes.

thumbnail.aspx?q=4992698156974628&id=cbc5150d9b311b3e33ae40f2fcf22158

(you haven't had training and worked as a freelance mercenary that specialized in covert / high-risk assignments in the past by chance? because that would be helpful.)

;)8-)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    whats a name tent??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    whats a name tent??

DPT.JPG
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    whats a name tent??

DPT.JPG

thats way too small for a sleeping bag.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    i know 2 people teaching in NY ... one in brooklyn and the other in queens ... they both hate their jobs and it's not because of the students ... the one in brooklyn has taught in bad neighbourhoods ... it's the administration ... it seems there is a huge disconnect and the administration is not really there for the teachers creating a very unsupportive network and environment for teaching ...

i've heard similar, and then i've also - thankfully, heard of teachers who love their jobs and schools. i think it's very much hit or miss. my own personal experience, all private schools, very similar. horrid support in my first school that i taught in, second school was fantastic, sadly closed now. it seems many of these bronx schools are fairly newish, so i am hoping there is support. i've not gotten any other real teaching prospects on the horizon presently, so gotta see where it leads.

i've not taught HS in 20 years, hahaha ... so a wee bit nervous. i actually LIKE HS age, overall, was initially what i thought i most wanted to teach, but never got into a HS. so been in the elementary/junior high grades for all 10 years of teaching. happy that my demo is with 8th/9th graders, as i've taught k-8 my entire career. hopefully i'll be slightly more comfortable in that sense.

my biggest concern is when either i enter the class or they enter, and how they will behave at the beginning of the lesson. not too confident about that if they are unruly and difficult to quiet. i plan to keep the discussion of the project short and sweet, and then dive right into the creative process. so it's really just the first 5 minutes that concern me. once materials are out, they are working and i am circulating, i feel fine about that.

as to the name tents, i never considered it, but this teacher friend recommended. however, she's never taught above 6th grade either. so yea, not going to utilize that suggestion. hahaha. besides, with only 20 minutes, i don't want to waste ANY time.

and sure, still worried about the area, quite a bit really - but again, see how it goes. the school has moved to a newer building, looks nice - but scary neighborhood, and HS, hmmmm. also have heard parking is a total nightmare. and while i am taking public transport this thursday, if i were to take the job, it simply wouldn't be practical as it willl take me 3x longer with train/subway then if i drive. how i wish that weren't the case.

thanks for the feedback all - much appreciated! need to get moving on my lesson planning today, shape up the portfolio tomorrow, and then d-day thursday! :shock: wish me luck! :lol:

any other suggestions, feel free - i'll be checking back no doubt.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    just remember.. kids can smell fear. no need for the little darlings to now youve not been in a classroom for 20 years.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    just remember.. kids can smell fear. no need for the little darlings to now youve not been in a classroom for 20 years.

i KNOW, hahaha.
    and, i have been in a classroom last in 2005, it's a HS classroom i've not been in 20 years. however, as i mentioned - at least a wee bit more comfortable knowing it's 8th/9th graders, as i always taught 8th grade. i've never taught/worked in a rough neighborhood either, always pretty nice areas. friend of mine who works nearby, but elementary level said simply, get in, park, get out - NEVER linger. hahahahahaha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i will also add that i've heard that teachers who have gone to perceived bad neighbourhoods have had great experiences ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    i will also add that i've heard that teachers who have gone to perceived bad neighbourhoods have had great experiences ...

yeah i live in a 'bad' neighbourhood. we're awesome. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

yes, the friend who made the name tent suggestion works not far away in similarly bad area, and she loves her school. but yes, the area is BAD. it is not "perceived" bad, it is crack-house bad. none the less, school could be awesome - so fingers crossed!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Hey so glad for you i really hope it all goes great for you will keep my fingers xxxxxxxxx for you .....

Great to see you here again :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Hey so glad for you i really hope it all goes great for you will keep my fingers xxxxxxxxx for you .....

Great to see you here again :)

grazie!

sooooooo ... lesson plan written up, samples made, hand-outs, multiple copies of resume, plan, all materials gathered, teaching portfolio updated ... DONE! as ready as i am gonna be for tomorrow. going to read up a bit more on the school this evening, jot a few notes, write down a few questions - just in case they want a 2nd interview after my demo lesson. i am not one of those types who practices, practices, practices - i am more about being all prepared, notes, and then just go with it day of.

WISH ME LUCK!!!
    i've not taught a class in 7 years :o and i've not taught 9th graders in 20!!! :shock:
    pray i don't get eaten alive at the very least. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    sooooooo ... lesson plan written up, samples made, hand-outs, multiple copies of resume, plan, all materials gathered, teaching portfolio updated ... DONE! as ready as i am gonna be for tomorrow. going to read up a bit more on the school this evening, jot a few notes, write down a few questions - just in case they want a 2nd interview after my demo lesson. i am not one of those types who practices, practices, practices - i am more about being all prepared, notes, and then just go with it day of.

WISH ME LUCK!!!
    i've not taught a class in 7 years :o and i've not taught 9th graders in 20!!! :shock:
    pray i don't get eaten alive at the very least. :lol:

Confidence! You've got this! :)
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Don't be nervous or they will eat you alive! I feel so bad for the new sub that admitted she was new...the mean kids ran all over her (yes, it was when I was in 9th grade). :(

Good Luck! You'll do great! :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    thank you ladies!
    i'm not too nervous just yet, sure to hit me tomorrow when on the train, and when i walk into the school. :shock: hahaha. i do remember when i first started teaching that, for whatever reason, once i entered my first class, i was NOT nervous. hope that kicks in again tomorrow. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    luck! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    luck! :mrgreen:

This ..
  • Options
    if you don't hear from me by tomorrow evening, someone please look for my body in the south bronx. ok? please and thank you. :? :mrgreen::lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    if you don't hear from me by tomorrow evening, someone please look for my body in the south bronx. ok? please and thank you. :? :mrgreen::lol:

i'll let jose take care of that :lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

i just LOLed, truly, for that. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

I got you covered i will let all the MS13 know your my friend :lol::lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

i just LOLed, truly, for that. 8-)

hey, i'll hang out with ya at 4 in the morning at penn station but the south bronx? :shock: :P :lol:
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Good luck D2D! ...
    this is really great news for you after turbulent times :clap:

Go rock them! Hey a Pearl Jam art project ... draw a PJ song!
    You might have some awesome artists there just waiting for you! :D
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Good luck!!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Good luck. Just imagine you are Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act 2 or Michelle Pfieffer (sp?) in Dangerous Minds - some kids from less fortunate homes can have a lot to draw on creatively.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Wishing you all the best - good luck !!! :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image