A video series on ticket scam investigation

awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
edited February 2012 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    There's still people who wait in line?

By the time a human processes your transaction, 10's of thousands have tried to buy them online. Even wthout the shady business, waiting in line is a bad idea. Anyone on the internet is basically first in line, and you're behind all those people..

It doesn't surprise me at all that ticket vendors sell tickets to brokers directly to earn extra revenue. Ticketmaster has been trying to cash it on it themselves (ticketexchange).

I remember back in the 90's seeing a TM employee hand over a wad of tickets for a fistful of cash. Ever since then I've known TM (or their foreign conterparts) do the same thing. Now its just digital, but its the same thing.

The part I wonder is, how much does the ticket agent get for directly allocating to these companies? None of it goes to the band... which makes me surprised that TM wants demand pricing for good tickets, aren't they better off skimming for reselling to brokers?
  • Options
    That said ticketmaster must be less crooked.

In the history of all the concerts I've been too I've generally gotten decent tickets. Alot of GA floors, if its seated, within the first 10 rows.

Usually by refreshing, and trying to get my order in in the first few seconds. Sometimes joining fan clubs. Sometimes by continuing to try (sometimes good tix come out 30 mins after tix go onsale, from what I've been told its from credit cards being rejected and the tix going back on sale). If I dont' get them then, I just wait for closer to the show. Quite often there's tix in the first 10 rows (maybe release from promoters or fan clubs) or side stage tickets.

It's sad, but I usually have better tickets at non-pj shows then pj shows.... never really use scalpers. (once for metallica in '98).
  • Options
    I was living in Alberta for a while and they have anti-scalping law. So if legitimately had tickets for an event i couldn't go to, it was a total pain to sell the tickets online.

However I noticed on ebay that everyone else trying to sell them were just listed from other provinces where the law didn't exist.

I don't think the bill they mention would work if people from other countries could buy the tickets.
  • Options
    I wonder how many people watched all four parts of that.

One of the best I've seen.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I wonder how many people watched all four parts of that.

One of the best I've seen.

It was on TV here a few days ago. Quite a few of us watched it.

Here is the thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=184062
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?