Why is just about everything Limited Edition???

MASMAS Posts: 628
edited November 2011 in The Porch
Just wondering why.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Because they're not on a major label who can just unload their merchandise to third party retailers.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Their warehouse is full of non limited edition crap that didn't sell to begin with.
  • Take a few business classes at your local community college if you really want to understand why they do this.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • supply and demand. They make everything limited, everyone feels they need to buy it for fear it won't be available in two days, it sells out. Repeat. Sounds like good marketing to me. They get rich off this and its brilliant from a business standpoint if you think about it.
  • supply and demand. They make everything limited, everyone feels they need to buy it for fear it won't be available in two days, it sells out. Repeat. Sounds like good marketing to me. They get rich off this and its brilliant from a business standpoint if you think about it.

I would agree with the marketing ploy theory if their merch never actually went out of stock. But when it is actually limited edition...you can only sell what you supply.
  • i'd understand things being called "limited edition" if they were numbered or different from a retail copy.
    i think they should maybe change their wording on most items to say "limited quantities" instead.
  • xunbrokenx wrote:
    i'd understand things being called "limited edition" if they were numbered or different from a retail copy.
    i think they should maybe change their wording on most items to say "limited quantities" instead.

good call

I would agree with the marketing ploy theory if their merch never actually went out of stock. But when it is actually limited edition...you can only sell what you supply.

but I think its the whole 'limited edtion' title that drives people to buy. Thats why they never say how many they actually have on hand, whether its 500 or 5000. They want to sell them all, and with that LE title people buy whether they care about the item or not. People even say on here that they don't think twice about buying an item. Click. Click. Click. $$$$$$ They're making money just off of charging $11.50 to ship a record.
  • True...but then why 1 per member? If they want to unload their merch ASAP
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    because it's limited to what 10c has on hand. if 10c only orders 5,000 PJ20 vinyls, then they are limited. In this case, it's only limited to 10c's supply. They are available in greater numbers other places.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • True...but then why 1 per member? If they want to unload their merch ASAP

fear of the bitchfest and that people will indeed leave the club, thus leading to loss of $$$
  • Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    Because people are suckers. You can make anything limited edition you can charge a lot of money, and it is guaranteed to sell out. Go to the goods section, anything that isn't LE never sells out. And after the deluxe super, mega special edition Bluray/dvd debacle, people will buy anything labeled Limited Edition. This is really consumerism at its worst. I wonder if the 10c is doing some sort of social experiment. Testing how people react.
  • They're a fan club as much as they're a business.

They're out to make a profit, but they're not going to throw you under the bus in order to do so, and their intentions aren't to make the Forbes 500 anytime soon.

They know that you're a key stakeholder in the business and your longevity in the club is crucial to support the business. They've listened to fans critiques in the past and they've made more good mgmt decisions than poor.

To call them greedy cut-throats who are only after a buck is over-the-top. They're just trying to deliver what they can to the fans with the limited resources available and in the process, take home a share of the profits. The consumer has an equal responsibility in making choices of where there money goes and when to cry foul, and like mgmt's it's usually better than worse.

From what I've seen from the Ten Club, their not ill-willed. They don't have endless amounts of capital to just fix every gripe that a fan member has and they're making the best of what they can do.
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    They're a fan club as much as they're a business.

They're out to make a profit, but they're not going to throw you under the bus in order to do so, and their intentions aren't to make the Forbes 500 anytime soon.

They know that you're a key stakeholder in the business and your longevity in the club is crucial to support the business. They've listened to fans critiques in the past and they've made more good mgmt decisions than poor.

To call them greedy cut-throats who are only after a buck is over-the-top. They're just trying to deliver what they can to the fans with the limited resources available and in the process, take home a share of the profits. The consumer has an equal responsibility in making choices of where there money goes and when to cry foul, and like mgmt's it's usually better than worse.

From what I've seen from the Ten Club, their not ill-willed. They don't have endless amounts of capital to just fix every gripe that a fan member has and they're making the best of what they can do.

I think you hit the nail on the head here - one of the most sensible posts I've read on this subject.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Feckin' craste...

More limited edition shit...

Just put on some Pearl Jam and fuckin' crank it, y'allz!!!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    They're a fan club as much as they're a business.

If they were this, I wouldn't blame them. People are almost panic-buying on here at the minute. Label any PJ merch 'limited edition' at the minute and it's not gonna last (literally) 5 minutes in the Goods section.

What I'd like to see is when they say this LP, this dvd, this product etc is 'limited edition' for 10C to state just how limited. Did they make 1000 deluxe dvds for example? I know we will never get official numbers but it'd be nice to know
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • this might be limited edition. google music has free toronto 9-11-11, just saw it