Options

Lightning Bolt turns 8 today

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    igotid88 wrote:
    #4 41,731 -75%

Those are the Hits Daily Double numbers, which don't exactly square with the Soundscan numbers (although they are usually close). The reason I bring this up is that HDD has Miley Cyrus at #2 with just 1,500 more units sold than PJ. That's close enough to where Soundscan numbers could theoretically show enough of a difference for PJ to slip in at #2.

If PJ in fact ends up at #4, that's a decent hold for a rock album. It will weather the steep sales decline because there were so few top-level new release on October 22.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    #4 41,731 -75%

Those are the Hits Daily Double numbers, which don't exactly square with the Soundscan numbers (although they are usually close). The reason I bring this up is that HDD has Miley Cyrus at #2 with just 1,500 more units sold than PJ. That's close enough to where Soundscan numbers could theoretically show enough of a difference for PJ to slip in at #2.

If PJ in fact ends up at #4, that's a decent hold for a rock album. It will weather the steep sales decline because there were so few top-level new release on October 22.

there's probably 3 new top 10 entries next week with Linkin Park and Arcade Fire being 1 and 2.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Sirens played 3 times in the last 6 hours on KROQ, I don't know if that's ever happened with new Pearl Jam music on that station
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Sirens played 3 times in the last 6 hours on KROQ, I don't know if that's ever happened with new Pearl Jam music on that station

Wow, I'm still waiting to hear it for the first time on KROQ (not including one time when it was played during the Out Of Order countdown). I am one of these dinosaurs raised on radio who will get excited the first time I hear it on the radio in my car, even if I've heard the song 50 times already in other places.
  • Options
    So it turns out my theory panned out. Lightning Bolt slips from #1 to #2 on sales of 46,000, a 72 percent decline. Generally, rock records take big tumbles in the second week, so this is a surprising hold, even with a light week of new releases. But for Katy Perry, Pearl Jam would have topped the chart again.

By way of comparison, Vs. and No Code held at No. 1 for a second week, Vitalogy dropped to No. 2 in its second week (not including the two weeks it was available only on vinyl), Yield dropped from No. 2 to No. 3, Pearl Jam dropped from No. 2 to No. 8, Backspacer dropped from No. 1 to No. 10, Binaural dropped from No. 2 to No. 13, and poor Riot Act plunged from No. 5 to No. 36. (Ten did not hit the charts until months after its release, so it gets left out of these comparisons.)
  • Options
    Sirens Hot AC
    LW TW TW LW Move Aud
    75 47 Up this week PEARL JAM Sirens 168 24 144 1.688
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    K_jamK_jam Posts: 137
    46000 and at no2?!?! Wow!!! No one buys or cares about albums anymore, it's a shame. I mean, even 10 years ago 46k wouldn't even get you in the top ten.
  • Options
    So I finally heard Sirens on the radio. WPLJ the Hot AC station. And the played the whole song.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    K_jam wrote:
    46000 and at no2?!?! Wow!!! No one buys or cares about albums anymore, it's a shame. I mean, even 10 years ago 46k wouldn't even get you in the top ten.

There were 4.5 million albums sold in the U.S. last week (2.6 million physical albums and 1.9 million downloads), the lowest total since Soundscan started tracking it in 1991.

I still suspect that Ten Club direct sales are not included in the Soundscan numbers, so I think Pearl Jam has actually sold more than the 212,000 copies over two weeks that Soundscan shows.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    BF25394 wrote:
    K_jam wrote:

There were 4.5 million albums sold in the U.S. last week (2.6 million physical albums and 1.9 million downloads), the lowest total since Soundscan started tracking it in 1991.

I still suspect that Ten Club direct sales are not included in the Soundscan numbers, so I think Pearl Jam has actually sold more than the 212,000 copies over two weeks that Soundscan shows.

Why wouldn't ten club sales be included? Surely, the band would want all the presales through it's website to be included in the official album sale count?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:

Why wouldn't ten club sales be included? Surely, the band would want all the presales through it's website to be included in the official album sale count?

Because Nielsen Soundscan tracks sales using technology that is installed at the point of sale. When Best Buy or another retailer scans a CD at the register, it gets picked up automatically by Soundscan's software and counted as a sale. (And not all retailers are set up for this; for example, many independent record stores don't report to Soundscan.) The Ten Club is almost certainly not set up for this, and I am not aware of any protocol for "manual" reporting. For one thing, it would be subject to manipulation (i.e., Band X is number 1 on the Billboard 200 with 100,000 in sales, 99,000 of which were reported by Band X itself) because Soundscan can't audit every band or record label that does direct sales.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,158
    BF25394 wrote:
    Because Nielsen Soundscan tracks sales using technology that is installed at the point of sale. When Best Buy or another retailer scans a CD at the register, it gets picked up automatically by Soundscan's software and counted as a sale. (And not all retailers are set up for this; for example, many independent record stores don't report to Soundscan.) The Ten Club is almost certainly not set up for this, and I am not aware of any protocol for "manual" reporting. For one thing, it would be subject to manipulation (i.e., Band X is number 1 on the Billboard 200 with 100,000 in sales, 99,000 of which were reported by Band X itself) because Soundscan can't audit every band or record label that does direct sales.

I find that wierd because there was that whole debacle in the 90s where soundscan changed from counting albums sold to albums shipped. As a diehard PJ fan I figured it was a giant coup to break the unbeatable PJ record.

Have they switched it back down? They should reinstate the Vs. record :) I somewhat doubt that Garth Brooks album (and the one other album that beat) had it been counted on albums sold (instead of shipped).... grrr.

edit: wow it turns out I might have been wrong all these years. weekly sales are still counted at the registered. its gold/platinum certification that's based on albums shipped.. lol...
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:

I find that wierd because there was that whole debacle in the 90s where soundscan changed from counting albums sold to albums shipped. As a diehard PJ fan I figured it was a giant coup to break the unbeatable PJ record.

Have they switched it back down? They should reinstate the Vs. record :) I somewhat doubt that Garth Brooks album (and the one other album that beat) had it been counted on albums sold (instead of shipped).... grrr.

edit: wow it turns out I might have been wrong all these years. weekly sales are still counted at the registered. its gold/platinum certification that's based on albums shipped.. lol...

From your edit, it looks like you read the earlier part of this thread where we addressed this.
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt Special
    http://youtu.be/xjNPBlTQYtk
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    51%
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Hits Daily Double has LB at #11 with 27k. They had LB at #4 last week and Billboard had LB at #2 so we'll find out Wednesday where Billboard has it. Not sure what fuels HDD's #'s and rankings differences from Billboard.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Hits Daily Double has LB at #11 with 27k. They had LB at #4 last week and Billboard had LB at #2 so we'll find out Wednesday where Billboard has it. Not sure what fuels HDD's #'s and rankings differences from Billboard.

Love that they sold more than Arcade Fire in their debut week. Although AF will probably end up selling more.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    If they stay steady. They could still be in the top 20 in their 4th week. 5 of the new albums in the top 10 could drop below the top 20 next week.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

Love that they sold more than Arcade Fire in their debut week. Although AF will probably end up selling more.

I love Arcade Fire and bought their record the day it came out, but I suspect that the Arcade Fire record probably had a lot of people illegally downloading it given their very large fan base of jobless hipsters of dubious character.
  • Options
    54% reporting
    #22 8,571

Eminem already at 500k

And everyone who played at the CMA's are getting a boost.

Wish PJ would do a Grammy's or AMA.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

They might be on a Grammys blacklist.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    igotid88 wrote:
    54% reporting
    #22 8,571

Eminem already at 500k

I guess PJ week on Fallon wasn't good enough? :lol:
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I love Arcade Fire and bought their record the day it came out, but I suspect that the Arcade Fire record probably had a lot of people illegally downloading it given their very large fan base of jobless hipsters of dubious character.

Arcade fire is at #17 right now on Hitsdailydouble w/ 54% reporting. Looks like they're only heading for about 25k sales for the week. Lightning Bolt held at #2 in week 2 w/ 46k in sales. So far, Lightning Bolt seems to be performing a bit better than Reflektor. But I'm sure Arcade Fire will get Grammy nods and that'll boost sales. Probably less likely for PJ.

You're right - the unemployed hipsters don't have the purchasing power of Pearl Jam fans! Haha. Plus, I think this may be one of these critically acclaimed albums that doesn't really connect with the general public. I'm not crazy about the tunes I've heard off of this record, and I really liked The Suburbs.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    54% reporting
    #22 8,571

Eminem already at 500k

I'm sure it helped some. But I don't think late night shows do that much for sales
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    igotid88 wrote:
    TJ25487 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    54% reporting
    #22 8,571

Eminem already at 500k

I'm sure it helped some. But I don't think late night shows do that much for sales

I agree. In the Rolling Stone review of LB they said that one of the nice things about PJ is that they haven't been overexposing themselves on awards shows? It is a double edged sword of sorts.
  • Options
    Final numbers for week 4

#18 15,951 -41%
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Final numbers for week 4

#18 15,951 -41%

As you know, ID, these are HDD's final numbers, but Soundscan's (and, therefore, Billboard's) may be different.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Final numbers for week 4

#18 15,951 -41%

As you know, ID, these are HDD's final numbers, but Soundscan's (and, therefore, Billboard's) may be different.

Yea but not by much. Hopefully there's a plus difference
    I miss igotid88