• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    46% reporting
    LIGHTNING BOLT
    I miss igotid88
    Final numbers
    I miss igotid88
    Backspacer sold about 190,000 its first week and drop 69% the second week. Hopefully with Pearl Jam week on Fallon and the World Series it's not that much of a drop.
    I miss igotid88
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    166.000 in its first week
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    igotid88 wrote:
    Backspacer sold about 190,000 its first week and drop 69% the second week. Hopefully with Pearl Jam week on Fallon and the World Series it's not that much of a drop.

The large drop should occur just for the fact that week-1 sweeps up pre-orders that have been going on for months. So now, we're down to just a week's sales for week 2. Fallon and World series may soften it slightly but you should expect a huge decline just by the way the system works.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    I wonder whether the Ten Club orders show up in the SoundScan totals. According to Billboard, there were 166,000 sales, of which 84,000 were digital, or slightly more than half. In general, about 55-60 percent of sales across the market are of physical albums (e.g., CDs). (Yes, it is still true that a majority of album sales are of physical albums.) Pearl Jam is a band that should be more likely than the average artist to sell physical albums, both because it's audience skews older and because it has an above-average number of fans who are collectors and who care about the artwork.

So, having said all that, it surprises me that album downloads were greater than CD/vinyl sales, and it makes me think that Ten Club direct sales are not included in the SoundScan numbers. (For the record, no pun intended, many independent stores do not report their sales to SoundScan, so there are certainly additional copies not accounted for through those outlets.)

Is there anyone at the Ten Club who can offer any insight into whether the Ten Club reports to SoundScan?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    BF25394 wrote:
    Is there anyone at the Ten Club who can offer any insight into whether the Ten Club reports to SoundScan?

I would also like to know the answer to this.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Doesn't Soundscan now count albums shipped, not albums sold.

IE wasn't that the big change done in the 90s that resulted in Garth Brooks overthrowing Vs as the biggest first week album sales?

IE does it matter who the albums ship to? As long as the record label reports them shipped?

I still think Vs. would hold the record to this day had the rule not changed. It's way easier to ship over a million records in a week than it is to sell them. With PJ's record only being broke (2 or 3 times) buy a few hundred thousand, I have to imagine it was only beat because of this rule.

Regardless I imagine 10c's numbers would be counted as shipped. It's also possible dormant inventory is counted as shipped as well... assuming the albums got sent somewhere.
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    One little nugget to add. Billboard reports that Lightning Bolt is the best selling rock album since last November.

Pretty cool.

http://blbrd.co/HhtNi7
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
    Zod wrote:

IE wasn't that the big change done in the 90s that resulted in Garth Brooks overthrowing Vs as the biggest first week album sales?

IE does it matter who the albums ship to? As long as the record label reports them shipped?

I still think Vs. would hold the record to this day had the rule not changed. It's way easier to ship over a million records in a week than it is to sell them. With PJ's record only being broke (2 or 3 times) buy a few hundred thousand, I have to imagine it was only beat because of this rule.

Regardless I imagine 10c's numbers would be counted as shipped. It's also possible dormant inventory is counted as shipped as well... assuming the albums got sent somewhere.

No. The RIAA, who does the certifications counts the shipments. Neilsen Soundscan counts albums sold. The change that soundscan made was they ended the week on Sunday. Before it would end on a Friday. So that's how Garth broke the record. And also because he sold his double album for something like $10 at Wal-Mart.
    I miss igotid88
    Zod wrote:

No, Zod. Nielsen SoundScan tracks actual retail sales. You may be thinking of the certifications by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) (e.g., platinum and gold), which are based on the number of units shipped.

The first-week U.S. sales for Vs. have been surpassed by more than 10 other albums, and the record-holder more than doubled Pearl Jam's total with over 2.4 million units sold ('N Sync with No Strings Attached).

On a related note, Keith Caulfield of Billboard said that this is the lowest first-week sales total for any Pearl Jam studio release. Someone in this thread already pointed out that the first-week sales for Riot Act may have been lower (they were reported as 166,000, the same as for Lightning Bolt, but those numbers are both rounded) but, even if Riot Act did outsell Lightning Bolt in its first week of release, Ten certainly did not. Ten did not even chart in its first week of release in 1991. Album sales were generally higher then, but not so high that an album that sold over 166,000 copies would have failed to crack the Top 200. Even if Caulfield was referring to the albums' first weeks on the chart-- which came months later for Ten-- I still don't think it sold 166,000+ as it debuted at No. 155.

Does anyone know Keith Caulfield's email address?
    igotid88 wrote:
    Zod wrote:

No. The RIAA, who does the certifications counts the shipments. Neilsen Soundscan counts albums sold. The change that soundscan made was they ended the week on Sunday. Before it would end on a Friday. So that's how Garth broke the record. And also because he sold his double album for something like $10 at Wal-Mart.

I see we were posting simultaneously about the RIAA, but just a note: Garth Brooks' total for Double Live, which broke the first-week sales record held by Vs., isn't even among the top 10 for first-week sales anymore. You can check out the top 10 at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Zod wrote:

I see we were posting simultaneously about the RIAA, but just a note: Garth Brooks' total for Double Live, which broke the first-week sales record held by Vs., isn't even among the top 10 for first-week sales anymore. You can check out the top 10 at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States

Obviously. Just talking about that time
    I miss igotid88
    Ten #14 and Rearviewmirror #21 enter the Catalog chart
    I miss igotid88
    46% reporting 25,022
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

I didn't mean it as a correction of you, more as a clarification for posters who may not pay as much attention to this sort of thing as you and I do.
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I didn't mean it as a correction of you, more as a clarification for posters who may not pay as much attention to this sort of thing as you and I do.

it's okay. I just wish I had access to those numbers weekly. A poster used to gives us their weekly numbers.
    I miss igotid88
    68% reporting
    #5 29,054
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

it's okay. I just wish I had access to those numbers weekly. A poster used to gives us their weekly numbers.

The user-name was UpHereSoHigh (I think that was it) and he had access to soundscan. Changed jobs and no longer had access to Soundscan. It was interesting info.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    igotid88 wrote:

The user-name was UpHereSoHigh (I think that was it) and he had access to soundscan. Changed jobs and no longer had access to Soundscan. It was interesting info.

I know. I still have some of the emails
    I miss igotid88
    Sirens #1 at Triple A radio
    I miss igotid88
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    igotid88 wrote:

:D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    #4 41,731 -75%
    I miss igotid88
    according to allaccess.com Swallowed Whole was added to a Triple A station WWCT-FM

Sirens added to 3 more Active Rock stations. 1 more Mainstream
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    according to allaccess.com Swallowed Whole was added to a Triple A station WWCT-FM

I know that nobody around here wants to hear this but the song with the biggest chance at doing well with radio airplay would be SBM. If they released SBM as the next single, it would do well. It is approx 3 min, catchy, can be added on different genre stations from pop to rock to country-rock. That's the one that would keep the plates spinning. Again, everybody around here has their likes and dislikes and I'm not talking about which is the best/worst song. This one would, however, have a good chance as a single.
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    igotid88 wrote:

I know that nobody around here wants to hear this but the song with the biggest chance at doing well with radio airplay would be SBM. If they released SBM as the next single, it would do well. It is approx 3 min, catchy, can be added on different genre stations from pop to rock to country-rock. That's the one that would keep the plates spinning. Again, everybody around here has their likes and dislikes and I'm not talking about which is the best/worst song. This one would, however, have a good chance as a single.

Yep. Easily the most "accessible" song on the album for the reasons you mentioned....ie catchy, short, cross genre, etc
    igotid88 wrote:

Yea they have a few in this album that could do really well. But in the end it just depends on the radio stations.
    I miss igotid88
    Sirens also added to 13 Hot AC stations. Especially WPLJ here in NY. Already played 3 times today
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    igotid88 wrote:
    what is triple a radio? is this broadcast around nyc? thanks.

mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    what is triple a radio? is this broadcast around nyc? thanks.

mike

Adult album Alternative. It's a format. WFUV is the only AAA station in nyc
    I miss igotid88