Options

Lightning Bolt turns 8 today

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited February 2014

The album just wasnt strong enough overall to hold peoples attention.

Rock is dead for the masses. Led Zeppelin won a Grammy this year. That is how much people care (or don't care) about rock when they have no clue about current music and vote for the familiar name.

LB was a great album, and PJ will command large audiences live, but rock is not a format that will keep records at the top of the charts much longer than a few weeks.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,314

I don't think that's it. There are a lot of factors. Older acts aren't going to sell as well than the new acts (with a few exceptions). Unless they're in the Pop or Hip-hop genre. Sirens is a hit on the radio. And from reading tweets on twitter. There a new people getting introduced to the band. But a hit song doesn't always translate into album sales. Part of it could be pricing. LB cd is around $15-17 while others are $12 or less. They promote themselves a little more now than before. But they don't do awards shows. Doing those can help keep you in the spotlight. Gets more people talking. They're not touring now. And recently were in Australia. So that's not going to help U.S. sales. Then they're going to Europe in the summer.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Yeah, I enjoy the album, but for sure, it's not strong enough to grip the masses. I think it's more an album for people who are already faithful to PJ.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Looks like Lightning Bolt (the song) is gaining some traction at Rock radio per Mediabase. If this winds up being a Top 10 Alt Rock / Modern Rock hit, it could boost the album sales a bit. Probably not much unless it crosses over though.

It's up to #31 on Active Rock with a big gain over last week. 189 more spins over last week, reaching an audience of over 1 million.

44 31 Up this week PEARL JAM Lightning Bolt 338 149 189 1.085
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    Looks like Lightning Bolt (the song) is gaining some traction at Rock radio per Mediabase. If this winds up being a Top 10 Alt Rock / Modern Rock hit, it could boost the album sales a bit. Probably not much unless it crosses over though.

It's up to #31 on Active Rock with a big gain over last week. 189 more spins over last week, reaching an audience of over 1 million.

44 31 Up this week PEARL JAM Lightning Bolt 338 149 189 1.085
  • Options
    MMPoochMMPooch New Jersey Posts: 67
    I haven't heard LB on the radio here (NJ) yet unfortunately. In the Fall I heard MYM and Sirens all the time on the "rock" stations. I agree a strong third single could help boost sales again. However, I guess that's not what PJ is all about really. I enjoy the album and while some songs didn't really grow on me most of them did. As long as the band continues to play/ or make music I am happy! I guess I always hope to see more people embrace their music they way I do.
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 393
    MMR is playing it in Philly, though I haven't heard it yet. Not that I really take to the FM dial much these days anyway.

It is gathering a lot of steam at Active Rock radio per Mediabase. Up to #22 over the last 7 day period.

It was a good choice as a #3 single. I think it has more potential than MYM, though probably less than Sirens. I still would have loved Getaway as the third single, but if this one does good enough maybe they'll do a 4th. That's probably a long-shot though.

37 22 Up this week PEARL JAM Lightning Bolt 458 210 248 1.457
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me but I would have saved Sirens for the summer.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited March 2014
    I'm burned out, need the new Beck album to recover. ---- Morning Phase ----
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Why no videos for either LB or Getwaway?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Sirens playing the background
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt the single #18 on the Billboard hot mainstream rock tracks
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    so now it seems Future Days is the next single. Although I think it will be mostly AAA stations. Which I like.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt the single not doing as well as Sirens. Only being played on Active and Mainstream Rock stations. But not Alternative and Triple A.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Ten re-enters the chart at 164
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    $6.99
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    11 million views for Sirens
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    12 million views for Sirens
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    So is that it for singles? I was hoping for Swallowed Whole to be released as summer single. But it's too late for that now.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    $3.99 mp3 on Amazon
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

That doesn't sound like good news. It's already in the Amazon bargain bin? ... Or maybe that's normal for Amazon, I don't know. I don't buy digital.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

That doesn't sound like good news. It's already in the Amazon bargain bin? ... Or maybe that's normal for Amazon, I don't know. I don't buy digital.
    I think it's normal. A lot of the new releases have been on sale. Plus it's the mp3 not the cd
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i
    igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

at that price, no one is making any money. might as well just bit torrent the album for free.
    and yes, rock is pretty much dead. I hear the kids like the dancy stuff now
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

i

igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

at that price, no one is making any money. might as well just bit torrent the album for free.
    Well it did go from sales rank in the 700 yesterday to 72 as of this posting. And maybe it gets someone interested in their music.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

i

igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

Naaaa. There was the sweetest 16 year old next to me at the JW show tonight. She was probably the most stoked person there and cried with joy at the end, and she was talking about all these indy rock bands she's into and was jealous as hell about people who had seen Bob Dylan and pink Floyd live... and plenty of young people at PJ shows. There is still hope. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

i

igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

Naaaa. There was the sweetest 16 year old next to me at the JW show tonight. She was probably the most stoked person there and cried with joy at the end, and she was talking about all these indy rock bands she's into and was jealous as hell about people who had seen Bob Dylan and pink Floyd live... and plenty of young people at PJ shows. There is still hope. :)
    yea we can't give up
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

i

igotid88 said:

$3.99 mp3 on Amazon

i hate to admit it, but i kind of like the dance stuff
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Hasn't gone gold yet. Last I saw it was around 400k. And it hasn't been on the charts for awhile now.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I miss igotid88