2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Jumb0 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think Seattle can put together a good competing team with that list…

But can they take on these players with their contracts?  I’m wondering do they get cap relief or anything.  If everyone simply exposes their dead weight contracts, how do field a competitive team under the cap?  I know Tampa is exposing Tyler Johnson, who was put on waivers twice this year, and no one took him because of his number.

Seattle still has to get to the cap floor so they will take on some big contracts but from other teams (looking at you Tampa) they won't take one of the high dollar guys without some enticement. 

And they don't get any exemptions or cap relief. They take the full terms for any player they choose.

Interesting...I went back and looked and it appears they do not have to select to the floor through the expansion draft, they only need to get to $48.9MM.

If the Floor is $60.2MM, I guess they could splash out on a max 8 year deal and front load on one or two for unrestricted free agents, since this is an advantage they are given as well?

Is that a correct read on it?

A number of different ways they can go, will be fascinating to see how this plays out...

They are going to have a chance at a very good goalie and really good D pool....the tough part appears to be the Forwards.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    You are correct, they have to get to 60% of the cap limit via the expansion draft which is the $48 million number but after free agency they will still have to get to the $60.2 million floor.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2021
    Maybe just posturing, but all the reports are that Seattle is seriously considering taking Carey Price. 

Also, can we get the thread title edited to just NHL Discussion? 
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
    I fully expected Seattle to a long hard look at Price...

If Seattle takes him I am fine either way.  If Seattle wants that contract it's fine by me.  

The GM has to do what's best for the team.  If he goes and Weber goes LTIR/retire that gives Montreal over 30 million in cap space to fill the holes...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Price also meets a surgeon this week and could miss considerable time this season...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Today's finally the day. Two picks off the board already with Seattle signing Adam Larsson and Jamie Oleksiak. 

Also, the announcement for Kerfoot from TOR has leaked 

Seattle’s Expansion Draft list is due at 10 AM.  The Seattle gift of a team will be revealed starting at 8 PM tonight…I’m sure there will be leaks throughout the day.

I hope Montreal stays strong and offer nothing for Price…I’d love him back in Montreal…but not if we have to give up assets for a goalie that’s been with Montreal from day 1…if Seattle wants that contract, have at it.

Anyways I hate expansion teams … so Seattle can fuckoff, just like Vegas.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I've always had a hard time believing they would actually take Price. If they are singing Dreidger to a $3 million deal as rumored, do they really want $14+ million tied up in two goaltenders? 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Jumb0 said:
    I've always had a hard time believing they would actually take Price. If they are singing Dreidger to a $3 million deal as rumored, do they really want $14+ million tied up in two goaltenders? 
    I don't think that makes any sense at all.  I agree that Price isn't going anywhere after that signing.  
    I'm very worried that the Lightning will lose Polat, Gourde or Killorn.  Yanni Gourde in particular would hurt.  
    Jumb0 said:
    I still don’t think they are taking price…I just don’t Montreal to cave in to Seattle’s demands…call their bluff…

I do love how most teams exposed players with the largest contracts…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm very worried that the Lightning will lose Polat, Gourde or Killorn.  Yanni Gourde in particular would hurt.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:

Fucking knew it.  He has a good contract and he plays balls out every shift.  I hate losing him.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fucking knew it.  He has a good contract and he plays balls out every shift.  I hate losing him.  

Back 2 Back Cups,  they have to start losing some pieces, right?  And all of that experience just makes role players far more than standard role players.  I am sure they will be just fine.
    FWIW, most of the mock drafts I saw had them choosing Gourde as well.
    Here's my go at it after reading mocks and message boards...a lot of these are pure guesses not knowing a whole lot about the team/player. 
    And for simplicity sake this doesn't take into account any trades/deals that are made for certain players to be taken/not taken. 

ANH- Haydn Fleury 
    ARI - Christian Fischer
    BOS - Jakub Zboril
    BUF - William Borgen (not much to pick from here)
    CGY - Mark Giordano
    CAR - Jake Bean
    CHI - Nikita Zadorov
    COL - JT Compher (thought about Landeskog, but need 20 players that aren't FA)
    CBJ - Gabriel Carlsson
    DAL - Jamie Oleksiak (announced they signed him already)
    DET - Troy Stecher
    EDM - Adam Larsson (announced they signed him already)
    FLA - Chris Dreidger (strong rumors they are taking him)
    LAK - Carl Grundstrom
    MIN - Kappo Kahkonen
    MTL - Cale Fleury (sorry Meltdown)
    NSH - Calle Jarnkrok (really hope it's Duchene but also don't want to give up anything significant for him to be the pick)
    NJD - Nick Merkley
    NYI - Josh Bailey
    NYR - Julian Gauthier
    OTT - Joey Daccord (solid G prospect who is waivers exempt)
    PHI - Robert Hagg (read rumors of a deal in place to take Hagg in order to ship Tarasenko to Philly for JVR or Voracek)
    PIT- Zach Aston-Reese
    SJS - Ryan Donato
    STL - Vladimir Tarasenko
    TBL - Yanni Gourde (TBL is the #1 team likely to make a deal but without going down that road they just take Gourde)
    TOR - Alex Kerfoot (based on the video posted earlier)
    VAN - Jake Virtanen
    WSH - Connor Sheary
    WPG - Mason Appleton

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Jumb0 said:
    Here's my go at it after reading mocks and message boards...a lot of these are pure guesses not knowing a whole lot about the team/player. 
    And for simplicity sake this doesn't take into account any trades/deals that are made for certain players to be taken/not taken. 

ANH- Haydn Fleury 
    ARI - Christian Fischer
    BOS - Jakub Zboril
    BUF - William Borgen (not much to pick from here)
    CGY - Mark Giordano
    CAR - Jake Bean
    CHI - Nikita Zadorov
    COL - JT Compher (thought about Landeskog, but need 20 players that aren't FA)
    CBJ - Gabriel Carlsson
    DAL - Jamie Oleksiak (announced they signed him already)
    DET - Troy Stecher
    EDM - Adam Larsson (announced they signed him already)
    FLA - Chris Dreidger (strong rumors they are taking him)
    LAK - Carl Grundstrom
    MIN - Kappo Kahkonen
    MTL - Cale Fleury (sorry Meltdown)
    NSH - Calle Jarnkrok (really hope it's Duchene but also don't want to give up anything significant for him to be the pick)
    NJD - Nick Merkley
    NYI - Josh Bailey
    NYR - Julian Gauthier
    OTT - Joey Daccord (solid G prospect who is waivers exempt)
    PHI - Robert Hagg (read rumors of a deal in place to take Hagg in order to ship Tarasenko to Philly for JVR or Voracek)
    PIT- Zach Aston-Reese
    SJS - Ryan Donato
    STL - Vladimir Tarasenko
    TBL - Yanni Gourde (TBL is the #1 team likely to make a deal but without going down that road they just take Gourde)
    TOR - Alex Kerfoot (based on the video posted earlier)
    VAN - Jake Virtanen
    WSH - Connor Sheary
    WPG - Mason Appleton

Nice!
    I thought about doing one of these, but I don't know enough of the players, I know my 2-3 teams. But outside the bigger names, other teams 3rd and 4th pairings I have no idea if they'd be worth taking.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

a5pj said:

Nice!
    I thought about doing one of these, but I don't know enough of the players, I know my 2-3 teams. But outside the bigger names, other teams 3rd and 4th pairings I have no idea if they'd be worth taking.

I'm basically the same way...looking forward to coming back tonight and seeing I went 5 for 30
    edited July 2021
    well, the picks are starting to leak out. I'm 5 for 10 based on what's been posted. 
    Did you see LAK yet?
    I'd be surprised if they take Tonka, as you listed, but would prefer they take him then Clauge, who I mostly saw they positioned to take.
    Reports.  Seattle took Mark Giordano.  Carey Price was not selected, I hope Montreal gave them fuckers in  Seattle no more than some leaky water bottles and a puck... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Report:  Jordon Eberle was selected from the Islanders.

Must say I love all the leaked info.  A great way for ESPN to kick off their new tv deal...no one outside Seattle will be watching the expansion draft because we culd well know the picks by then...lmfao at the lame NHL expansion BS.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    MayDay10 said:
    Seattle will pick past the 'headliners' with inflated cap hits and find a serviceable team.  

edited July 2021
    Obviously SPOILER ALERT but here's the list so far

Adam Larsson EDM
    Jamie Oleksiak DAL
    Chris Driedger FLA
    Vitek Vanceck WSH
    Joey Daccord OTT
    Vince Dunn STL
    Yanni Gourde TBL
    Cale Fleury MTL
    Brandon Tanev PIT
    Jared McCann TOR
    Carsen Twarynski PHI
    Calle Jarnkrok NSH
    Gavin Bayreuther CBJ
    Alex True SJS
    Jeremy Lauzon BOS
    Carson Soucy MIN
    Mason Appleton WPG
    Kole Lind VAN
    Kurtis MacDermid LAK
    Nathan Bastian NJD
    Tyler Pitlick ARI
    Joonas Donskoi COL
    Mark Giordano CGY
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
    Thanks 
    Shocked at PHL...had some good options.
    edited July 2021
    edited July 2021
    10 for 22 right now
    Post edited by Jumb0 on