2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Islanders draw first.  
    Flat effort by the Bolts.  Great game by Isles
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Totally happy with the game plan against the bolts, I have to admit I haven’t been this excited for this team for a while this just feels a bit different..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    Islanders draw first.  
    Flat effort by the Bolts.  Great game by Isles
    I’d say the Isle.  played a perfect road game until the last 2 minutes…that was a real dumb penalty and pageau with 30 seconds left could have walked the puck out of the zone instead of icing it.  Tampa was sloppy, so was Boston…Tampa could have been up early on.  Going to be a great goaltending battle I think…playing for Russian Pride…May go 7?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Totally happy with the game plan against the bolts, I have to admit I haven’t been this excited for this team for a while this just feels a bit different..
    Totally agree.  Last year didn't feel real yet.  This year does.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2182285

Projected No. 1 pick Power leaning towards return to Michigan next season

Owen Power, projected No. 1 overall pick for the upcoming 2021 NHL draft, is leaning towards playing another NCAA season at Michigan instead of turning pro.

"I think right now I'm probably leaning more towards going back to school," Power said during an interview with NHL Network on Friday.

"It's something I'd like to do, try and get the true experience of playing college hockey. At the end of the day, it obviously depends on what the team wants and what everyone around me thinks is best. I don't think there's really a bad option."

Central Scouting labeled Power the top North American skater heading to the draft in their final rankings in May. The 18-year-old defenseman had 16 points in 26 games for the Wolverines this past season and won gold with Canada at the world championship in Latvia.

The Buffalo Sabres, Seattle Kraken, and Anaheim Ducks hold the top three picks in this year's draft.

He might want a guaranteed roster spot in the NHL or he’ll just stay in college…
    Or he might not want to go to Buffalo
    NCAA players don't have much/any leverage here, at least the big-ticket ones.  The players who you see time-out and become UFA are typically the late-blooming mid round picks who might come into their own in their Junior year or so, and they can see the light at the end of the tunnel to choose their path (Id also argue that those kids stunt their own growth by negotiating for an NHL spot/pay and skip AHL development).

If a guy like Power decides to play a holdout game, he would have to wait like 4 years, 4 years of a really good salary, playing at a level that provides a ceiling as far as his progress/development goes, risks injury, etc.  He is better off just putting his head down, killing it, and possibly setting the stage for a trade.

Power is too young for the AHL this year, I think you need to be 19.  So its either sign a contract and be locked into the NHL (and lose all NCAA eligibility), or play for Michigan.  Michigan is probably the best place for him at this time (Id much rather see him in the grind of a CHL season though.  TBH, the Sabres would probably prefer he seasons in amateur for a year as well as that saves a year of his ELC, and he will get a lot of ice time, minutes, and situations.   Michigan is also looking like they will be a machine next season and he can be exposed to some team success.   Being the 4th-7th defenseman and getting sheltered on the Sabres' who will likely be having a tough season isnt going to be great experience.

If I had to guess, Sabres draft Power, Power plays at Michigan, Sabres sign Power fairly early after the Frozen 4. At a minimum, he starts off 2022-23 in the AHL for Rochester.  
    18 is the AHL age limit.  I highly doubt he'll pull a Lindros, I think he just wants to be where he is most comfortable...and if the Sabres guarantee him a roster spot he'll be in the NHL next year...and why wouldn't they... it's highly unusual for the number 1 overall pick to play minor hockey...and let's be real...at this point, Michigan might be better than buffalo ... hehehe ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Montreal had good 1st then it fell apart…Vegas looks to be the best team in the league…

2-1 or 50-1 a loss is a loss…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I’m glad the knights have no russians on the team.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I’m glad the knights have no russians on the team.
    I do like that too.
    Bullshit call on the Varmolov play.  Should be a cross check
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Just curious on the hate for Russian players ?
    I usually hear no heart/passion 
    here are the top 20 all time Russian points in the NHL, some solid players on this list. Detroit wouldn’t have dominated without them in their last cups
    1CAAlexander Ovechkin
    2CASergei Fedorov
    3CAEvgeni Malkin
    4CAAlexander Mogilny
    5CAAlexei Kovalev
    6CAPavel Datsyuk
    7CAIlya Kovalchuk
    8CAVyacheslav Kozlov
    9CASergei Gonchar
    10CAAlexei Yashin
    11CAPavel Bure
    12CASergei Zubov
    13CAAlexei Zhamnov
    14CAIgor Larionov
    15CAAndrei Markov
    16CASergei Samsonov
    17CANikita Kucherov
    18CAViktor Kozlov
    19CAAlexander Semin
    20CAValeri Kamensky

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    Ovechkin is a Putin stooge
    erebus said:
    Just curious on the hate for Russian players ?
    I usually hear no heart/passion 
    here are the top 20 all time Russian points in the NHL, some solid players on this list. Detroit wouldn’t have dominated without them in their last cups
    1CAAlexander Ovechkin
    2CASergei Fedorov
    3CAEvgeni Malkin
    4CAAlexander Mogilny
    5CAAlexei Kovalev
    6CAPavel Datsyuk
    7CAIlya Kovalchuk
    8CAVyacheslav Kozlov
    9CASergei Gonchar
    10CAAlexei Yashin
    11CAPavel Bure
    12CASergei Zubov
    13CAAlexei Zhamnov
    14CAIgor Larionov
    15CAAndrei Markov
    16CASergei Samsonov
    17CANikita Kucherov
    18CAViktor Kozlov
    19CAAlexander Semin
    20CAValeri Kamensky

Russian 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Five

Pavel  Datsyuk was the best Russian to plsy in the nhl.  That dude was magic at both ends of the ice…

Give Peas A Chance…
    The only Russian I like is Ruslan Fedetenko, who scored both goals in game 7 when the Lightning won the Cup. And the best part is he actually Ukrainian.  
    Bad officiating tonight.  
    The NHL is the worst run and worst officiated league out there…the only time I like the officiating is when they put their whistles away except for blatant and obvious penalties…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    The only Russian I like is Ruslan Fedetenko, who scored both goals in game 7 when the Lightning won the Cup. And the best part is he actually Ukrainian.  
    Bulin Wall?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Bulin Wall?
    Oh yeah.  And him too. And that Vasy guy in goal now.   But other than them and about ten others,  I hate the Russians! 

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I just feel like until russia quits fucking with our elections, our infrastructure, etc., we shouldn’t afford any of their citizens the opportunity to make millions of american dollars.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wobbie said:
    I just feel like until russia quits fucking with our elections, our infrastructure, etc., we shouldn’t afford any of their citizens the opportunity to make millions of american dollars.

Had the good fortune to be one of the early waves of folks able to visit the former USSR as they reopened to the world... we went in 1992. 
    Spent a small amount of time in Estonia and then Russia (St. Pete).
    Very different experiences but met a whole lot of wonderful people.
    Their leadership was (and is now) a damn train-wreck but I do not color the people based on this.
    Happy to have Russian citizens here working the same way we would have citizens of other countries.

Don't think the Kings has any Russians on roster this year, at least not for long.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Russian scorers, I'm surprised Bure is that far down on the list.  If you ever got to see Federov play then you got to see something.  He was so damn fast and good with the puck.

Ovechkin and Malkin have been great.  Their eras are wrapping up soon.
    Isles last night.  When passing they seem to be really good at finding the opponents stick.  I can't believe how many passes were intercepted.  

Bad officiating or not, if they continue to play like that then they deserve to lose.  Was very unhappy with how they played in the end.  

Where did Barzals speed go?

First period I'm good with, the other 2, not so much...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Isles last night.  When passing they seem to be really good at finding the opponents stick.  I can't believe how many passes were intercepted.  

Bad officiating or not, if they continue to play like that then they deserve to lose.  Was very unhappy with how they played in the end.  

Tampa is loaded we were a bit slower last night officiating was nothing to get worked up about , we needed to split and we accomplished that so let’s see how the come out tomorrow at home should be a great game! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Tampa is loaded we were a bit slower last night officiating was nothing to get worked up about , we needed to split and we accomplished that so let’s see how the come out tomorrow at home should be a great game! 
    The games are only going to get rougher.  Most people think Tampa is just a skill team, because of the top line.  But they are not.  The like the face wash and like to drop the gloves as much as anyone.  It's sort of a double edged sword for the Isles.  I konw they like to play rough too, but special teams are not great for them.  So it will be interesting to see if they can walk the fine line of playing tough and not drawing penalties.  I expect Tampa to come out with the 3rd and 4th lines early tomorrow to start the violence early.  
    mrussel1 said:

The games are only going to get rougher.  Most people think Tampa is just a skill team, because of the top line.  But they are not.  The like the face wash and like to drop the gloves as much as anyone.  It's sort of a double edged sword for the Isles.  I konw they like to play rough too, but special teams are not great for them.  So it will be interesting to see if they can walk the fine line of playing tough and not drawing penalties.  I expect Tampa to come out with the 3rd and 4th lines early tomorrow to start the violence early.  
    I believe the isles are the least penalized team in the league…hardly a sign of a team that is tough.  The isles stand a better chance by staying out of the penalty box…

and please, Tampa and none of these teams today know tough..They are protected by the instigator rule…most of these so called tough guys today would be searching for their teeth  if guys like Probert, Kocur, Domi etc.. were patrolling the ice today…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Well Tampa is the defending champion and Cooper is a good coach…so you knew he’d adjust.  Cooper is being mentioned as coach of the Canada Olympic Team.  I prefer Babcock, then Trotz.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:

I believe the isles are the least penalized team in the league…hardly a sign of a team that is tough.  The isles stand a better chance by staying out of the penalty box…

and please, Tampa and none of these teams today know tough..They are protected by the instigator rule…most of these so called tough guys today would be searching for their teeth  if guys like Probert, Kocur, Domi etc.. were patrolling the ice today…
    They are the least penalized, but announcers keep talking about how the Isles wear down teams with physical play.  All the after action scrum will lead to penalty minutes and 4 on 4.  

blah blah blah, 70s, 80's, 90's.. Different era.  We're talking about today. If only it were the days when Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya were knocked out cold on the ice.  Gosh, those were the good times. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I like the heavy teams -- but today it is more about the speed. 

Also like to have protection for the stars and see a good fight but can understand why things changed.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

They are the least penalized, but announcers keep talking about how the Isles wear down teams with physical play.  All the after action scrum will lead to penalty minutes and 4 on 4.  

blah blah blah, 70s, 80's, 90's.. Different era.  We're talking about today. If only it were the days when Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya were knocked out cold on the ice.  Gosh, those were the good times. 
    Physical play is different than committing penalties…the isles lean on teams…their style is to be on the Tampa players like glue..That style of play wears down teams if they can execute it…hardly makes them tough…just a good for checking team.

I guess you missed Jake Evan’s sprawled unconscious…

the eras are not much different…

let gets this straight…was Lindros and Kariya sent to ice from a punch or what were considered clean hits at the time?

And it’s well documented that Lindros didn’t get proper care for his concussions from Philly…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Bulin Wall?
      I hate the Russians! 

This weekend we rock Portland