2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Blues really mailed in the 2nd and 3rd period...this after the team flew all it's staff for the game, and they play like that...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    Not sure what changed for the Blues after the first period. They were exiting their zone easily and getting pucks deep. After that, they tried way too many stretch passes that lead to turnovers. We couldn’t get the puck into the offensive zone for any pressure or shots. Stupid, horrible penalties. I have faith that Berube will light a fire in them. That won’t be the Blues for the majority of this series. Well, I freaking hope not. 
    Bad penalties.  bad, bad, bad.  Bruins seem to do that to people.  
    The one on Backes was not a penalty...Backes crumpled like a soccer player, and I believe there was another questionable...the NHL continues with shitty refereeing.  Backes is a clown anyways...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The one on Backes was not a penalty...Backes crumpled like a soccer player, and I believe there was another questionable...the NHL continues with shitty refereeing.  Backes is a clown anyways...
    Was that the stick in the face when they crossed the blue line?  Yeah, seemed soft, but a stick in the face... 

Bad miss when Chara broke that stick on the kill.  Should have been 5 on 3.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353

Refs aren't why the Blues lost that game.

They missed calls on both sides... I would prefer they let them play than over officiate, but I suppose that's easy to say when your team wins.

Refs aren't why the Blues lost that game.

They missed calls on both sides... I would prefer they let them play than over officiate, but I suppose that's easy to say when your team wins.

Yes, but that slash was key.  The Blues had control in the zone so as soon as the stick broke, they had to clear the zone because it was 4 on 4.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Was that the stick in the face when they crossed the blue line?  Yeah, seemed soft, but a stick in the face... 

The CBC replay showed the stick never touched Backes...but that is Backes...he fits in well with Boston.

Just poor officiating all around these playoffs.  I think the NFL and NHL draw from the same class when hiring officials.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    mrussel1 said:

The CBC replay showed the stick never touched Backes...but that is Backes...he fits in well with Boston.

Just poor officiating all around these playoffs.  I think the NFL and NHL draw from the same class when hiring officials.
    Well Edmundson earned the 2 minutes by hitting Backes with the butt of his stick while he was still down after the call was made (with an official right there, he's lucky he didn't get an extra 2)
    This weekend we rock Portland

Binnington got away with a hook on Marchand, Perron could have been called for roughing Krug... it is what it is.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168

Binnington got away with a hook on Marchand, Perron could have been called for roughing Krug... it is what it is.

and they shouldn't have stopped the play when Binnington lost his glove.  I thought the refs were fine. the most egregious missed call was the broken stick slash on the Blues power play.   Don't think the Blues can complain too much though as they got totally dominated in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

I also think coaches are pulling the goalies too early these days in 1 goal games. I get it doing it with over 2 minutes when down 2 but down 1 i think you have to do it closer to 1:00 minute to 1:20  and for sure when you have full control of the puck.  Doing it with over 2 minutes before you have full control of the puck/on a face-off is too early and gives the other team more chances at an open net. the game was effectively over with just under 2 minutes because of the open net goal. Blues shortened the game by pulling goalie in that situation. i've never liked pulling the goalie on a face-off unless it's the last 50 seconds or so.  just my opinion
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,879
    I tend to think people that blame refs for the results of a game are the same who blame their controller for when they die in video games.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    I tend to think people that blame refs for the results of a game are the same who blame their controller for when they die in video games.
    When my controller dies, I absolutely blame it. 
    BTW, does the same statement go for the Saints in the NFC championship?
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,879
    mrussel1 said:
    When my controller dies, I absolutely blame it. 
    Haha fair point.  The statement would only apply to the NFC championship in that I added "tend to" in order to save room for shit like that. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    pjhawks said:

I also think coaches are pulling the goalies too early these days in 1 goal games. I get it doing it with over 2 minutes when down 2 but down 1 i think you have to do it closer to 1:00 minute to 1:20  and for sure when you have full control of the puck.  Doing it with over 2 minutes before you have full control of the puck/on a face-off is too early and gives the other team more chances at an open net. the game was effectively over with just under 2 minutes because of the open net goal. Blues shortened the game by pulling goalie in that situation. i've never liked pulling the goalie on a face-off unless it's the last 50 seconds or so.  just my opinion
    I agree. It was like 2:13 when they pulled Binnington out of their timeout. In a one goal game that's too early.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    I'd rather the refs put away the whistle in finals unless the infraction is so obvious...and most players would be fine with that.  Of course, the refs didn't cost the blues the game, I did state the blues quit playing.  On to game 2.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
    BTW, does the same statement go for the Saints in the NFC championship?
    The refs blew that call...but once the call is made, the ref had no way of correcting it...

That call probably cost the fans a better SB...the Saints might have beat the pats.  Now the Saints will miss the playoffs in 2019...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I definitely don’t blame the refs. The Chara slash was unfortunate, buuuut Binnington got away with a hook. Same as Perron. It certainly didn’t favor one side over another. The Blues will come back tomorrow. I’m nearly certain of it. Really wish Dunn was available, but I’m thinking his mouth is wired shut with a broken jaw. 
    Has there been any news on. Chara’s wrist? That bastard (the cut, not him) started gushing really quickly. It was odd. 
    I definitely don’t blame the refs. The Chara slash was unfortunate, buuuut Binnington got away with a hook. Same as Perron. It certainly didn’t favor one side over another. The Blues will come back tomorrow. I’m nearly certain of it. Really wish Dunn was available, but I’m thinking his mouth is wired shut with a broken jaw. 
    Has there been any news on. Chara’s wrist? That bastard (the cut, not him) started gushing really quickly. It was odd. 

NHL Radio on Sirius was reporting this morning that he needed stitches, but expects to be fine. 

This series is telling me, 11 years too late, that I am in no way, shape, or form mature enough to be a father. 
    Wow!!  

What a sustained effort to start the ot. Winning attitude there  
    Nice win St. Louis.  They controlled that OT.  Looking forward to the games in St. Louis.  I think this is their 4th cup final appearance, but 1st cup final win.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nice win St. Louis.  They controlled that OT.  Looking forward to the games in St. Louis.  I think this is their 4th cup final appearance, but 1st cup final win.
    Yes. Our first three seasons were back when it was the established original six winner against the expansion group winner in the finals. Montreal and Boston swept us those first three seasons. 
    Holy shit. I don’t know how I’ll sleep after that. Just the one win felt like an incredible achievement and lifted some weight off my shoulders. It gave me chills. 
    Bs played poorly, had only 5 defenseman for a good chunk of the game & still forced OT, despite everything STL threw at them. 

Looks like we have a series on our hands. 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Yes. Our first three seasons were back when it was the established original six winner against the expansion group winner in the finals. Montreal and Boston swept us those first three seasons. 
    Holy shit. I don’t know how I’ll sleep after that. Just the one win felt like an incredible achievement and lifted some weight off my shoulders. It gave me chills. 
    Isn't it amazing how the game can have us feeling this way?  (Both silly and awesome at the same time!)
    When Kings were in cup against Devils, we were in the Devils' barn during Game 2....when it was in OT it was like I was going to have a heart attack with every change of possession.  Cannot imagine how exciting it is for the players/coaches/families who are actually part of the team
    When Jeff Carter scored it was like I had just won the lottery.

We waited in our seats until the angry Devils fans filed out, meeting up with a few other Kings fans and celebrating.

Would like to see another fan base get to enjoy that first cup feeling.  Go Blues.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Give Peas A Chance…

Somehow a guy skating full bore for 150 feet and not striding into this hit isn’t charging...yet Sundqvist’s hit on the Bs guy who didn’t have control of his body on the boards is boarding. Had he been in control, Sundqvist would have absolutely missed him. 

Somehow a guy skating full bore for 150 feet and not striding into this hit isn’t charging...yet Sundqvist’s hit on the Bs guy who didn’t have control of his body on the boards is boarding. Had he been in control, Sundqvist would have absolutely missed him. 
    You are correct.  Don Cherry put the blame on the Bruin player...I will post his comments and you can watch for yourself.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Coach’s Corner: Can’t Blame Oskar Sundqvist For Matt Grzelcyk Injury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHF52QtOF4
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    I just watched it.

Its ridiculous this is an issue.  Perfect example why/how big hits are being eliminated.  Fans get outraged, players cry, it gets in the media, and the NHL reviews it and feel compelled to do something (during the regular season he would be suspended for sure).  They will use their buzz-words like 'principal point of contact' and 'predatory'.

What else is Sundqvist supposed to do?  What the hell was Grzelcyk even doing there?