2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    congrats to the Preds and to Lavy.  3rd team he has taken to the finals. good thing my Flyers fired him 3 games into a season.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    holy crap! the extra point is up and good.

I was saying something like this to my son when they scored that 7th goal, he looked at me blankly.  Finally a nice easy non stressful game.  It has been a while.

why do guys want to fight when they're getting their asses kicked? I would want to get the fuck off the ice.
    I know you are new to Hockey, bud.  When you are getting drilled is when you must fight in a series.  You need to send a message and make sure it is heard.  Never back down!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Fuck the Ducks!!!!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    When the NHL gave Nashville of all places a team, I gave them 15 years max before they relocated.  I was wrong.  Nashville has become a true hockey city
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Jason P said:
    When the NHL gave Nashville of all places a team, I gave them 15 years max before they relocated.  I was wrong.  Nashville has become a true hockey city
    Yeah, their crowds have just been getting better and better.  It's great to see.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Go Sens!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Jason P said:
    Yeah, their crowds have just been getting better and better.  It's great to see.

and ottawa has empty seats.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PENS PENS PENS!!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    C'mon Sens,  take it 7
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    fuck. waved off goal was bullshit (says the very casual hockey fan).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Sens still have a shot.  Game 7s are just the best.
    Preds/Sens -- something that the NHL would hate but hard core fans would love. 

Wobbie -- would very casual fans enjoy a team missing their best player VS a team whose best player is a D-man?
    Neither team has lifted a cup and they have 1 SCF appearance between the two of them in that scenario.
    **This is with the current iteration of the Sens.  The original Sens won lots of cups.**
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    So the Senators had an elimination game in the conference finals and it wasn't sold out?!?!?  Crazy.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Jason P said:
    The crowds have always been lively and great, just not as much recognition across the country as they have gotten this year. They did struggle with sellouts during the regular season for the first 10 years, but the the playoffs have always been a sellout. This year, for the first time ever, they sold out every single home game during the regular season and during this playoff run, this city has fully embraced the Preds. as a day 1 fan of this team, it's awesome to see. Hell, my mom is excited and she knows nothing about hockey.

I've been to hundreds of sporting events in my life, but the atmosphere in Bridgestone Arena for playoff hockey is unreal. I don't know if the Preds will win it all or not, but it's been one hell of a ride and this city couldn't be prouder
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    ponytd said:
    Jason P said:
    The crowds have always been lively and great, just not as much recognition across the country as they have gotten this year. They did struggle with sellouts during the regular season for the first 10 years, but the the playoffs have always been a sellout. This year, for the first time ever, they sold out every single home game during the regular season and during this playoff run, this city has fully embraced the Preds. as a day 1 fan of this team, it's awesome to see. Hell, my mom is excited and she knows nothing about hockey.

I've been to hundreds of sporting events in my life, but the atmosphere in Bridgestone Arena for playoff hockey is unreal. I don't know if the Preds will win it all or not, but it's been one hell of a ride and this city couldn't be prouder
    From the perspective of this Blackhawks fan, it's awesome to see Nasvhille fully embrace hockey the way they have!
    ponytd said:
    Jason P said:

From the perspective of this Blackhawks fan, it's awesome to see Nasvhille fully embrace hockey the way they have!
    thanks. I grew up a Blackhawks fan as they were really the only hockey team that was shown around here on WGN back in the day. But made the switch when the Preds came to town. It has been an up and down 18 years, but this is making it all worth it. I've never been a season ticket holder since I've been a Titans season ticket holder for 12 years and couldn't afford to do both, but I went all in and signed up for 3 years worth of season tickets the other day just because. lol
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I was one who detested the idea of hockey in Nashville.  Was hoping they moved.  Couldn't imagine people would embrace it.  

I was wrong... I took notice a few years ago that they had good support and a lively crowd...

I will be curious to see what happens when/if the team goes on the downturn.  Will people continue to support it?  
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    MayDay10 said:
    I was one who detested the idea of hockey in Nashville.  Was hoping they moved.  Couldn't imagine people would embrace it.  

I was wrong... I took notice a few years ago that they had good support and a lively crowd...

I will be curious to see what happens when/if the team goes on the downturn.  Will people continue to support it?  
    That sounds similar to what happened in Carolina. When I moved there in 2010 the fans were declining after being all into it after the cup in 06. Fans kept dwindling (big thanks in part to horrible management). But the true hockey fans remain. I think everyone is gonna be real surprised with Carolina next year, especially if they pick up  2 or 3 solid offensive guys.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

MayDay10 said:

I'm interested to see what happens with that too. There are a LOT of fairweather fans in this area. I think if the Preds could survive the first 10 years with only diehard support and a threat of moving to Hamilton, they'll be ok. They'll lose some fans with a few bad seasons, but as long as they don't tank completely, they should be fine. They've also got a lot of great young players on this team which should help. I feel as long as David Poile and Sean Henry are running this team, they're in good hands
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Ottawa citizens are probably life-long Montreal fans ... Remember the Sens franchise is only a few years older then Nashville's.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    a5pj said:
    MayDay10 said:

That sounds similar to what happened in Carolina. When I moved there in 2010 the fans were declining after being all into it after the cup in 06. Fans kept dwindling (big thanks in part to horrible management). But the true hockey fans remain. I think everyone is gonna be real surprised with Carolina next year, especially if they pick up  2 or 3 solid offensive guys.
    Carolina didn't really have the gradual buy-in that Nashville has had.  This has been like 5-6 years in the making and finally just hit the hockey media full-scale and mainstream has taken notice.  Last year, the Nashville crowd 'got it' and really pushed the John Scott thing in the ASG and claimed a piece of history.  The Predators seemed to have clicked right with the district/surrounding area around the arena and the franchise's connection to the city.

Carolina had good support during the Stanley Cup run.  The honeymoon didn't even last through the following season before most "fans" lost interest.  I have 2 friends there, one a Rangers fan and one a Penguins fan who both became die hard Hurricanes fans in the playoffs of 2006...  Couple of phonies....  very soon after though, they snapped back to their normal teams.  Way too many transplants and college crowd there.  I dont see people getting that 'connection' to the Hurricanes.  They werent that bad this year, have a young and up and coming team and were the worst attended team by a lot.
    MayDay10 said:
    a5pj said:
    MayDay10 said:

Carolina didn't really have the gradual buy-in that Nashville has had.  This has been like 5-6 years in the making and finally just hit the hockey media full-scale and mainstream has taken notice.  Last year, the Nashville crowd 'got it' and really pushed the John Scott thing in the ASG and claimed a piece of history.  The Predators seemed to have clicked right with the district/surrounding area around the arena and the franchise's connection to the city.

Carolina had good support during the Stanley Cup run.  The honeymoon didn't even last through the following season before most "fans" lost interest.  I have 2 friends there, one a Rangers fan and one a Penguins fan who both became die hard Hurricanes fans in the playoffs of 2006...  Couple of phonies....  very soon after though, they snapped back to their normal teams.  Way too many transplants and college crowd there.  I dont see people getting that 'connection' to the Hurricanes.  They werent that bad this year, have a young and up and coming team and were the worst attended team by a lot.
    I agree, so many transplants there. Whenever they played Pitts, Flyers, Rangers, etc there were more of those jerseys than Carolina's. And as for the attendance, blame management, they basically spit in the face of anyone who wasn't a season ticket holder (who they overcharge). They significantly raised the prices when the team was horrible and attendance was already bad... 
    But yea, I hope Nashville sticks around and gets a lot of die hard fans. I'm all for Southern hockey teams, heck it's nice to find a hockey fan in general anymore. 

Now being back in PA, I can't root for Pitts or Philly. Washington has grown on me only cuz the AHL Bears go up to them. But Carolina 1 Detrot 2 for me. And Detroit isn't gonna be good for a while thanks to Holland / Blashill...

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

I'm interested to see what happens with that too. There are a LOT of fairweather fans in this area. I think if the Preds could survive the first 10 years with only diehard support and a threat of moving to Hamilton, they'll be ok. They'll lose some fans with a few bad seasons, but as long as they don't tank completely, they should be fine. They've also got a lot of great young players on this team which should help. I feel as long as David Poile and Sean Henry are running this team, they're in good hands
    Same here in Columbus with the fair weather Jacket fans.  When they went on the 16 game win streak you couldn't get a ticket without paying a fortune then after it ended a good portion of people stopped caring as much.  Too many season ticket holders sell there tickets for the best games.  Especially when Pittsburgh is in town.  It wasn't as bad this year as in the past but there are always tons of Pens fans in the lower bowl because of season ticket holders selling their seats.  We have a great arena and a passionate core of fans and hopefully the team keeps going in the right direction.

P.S. I'm a partial season ticket holder.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    So the Senators had an elimination game in the conference finals and it wasn't sold out?!?!?  Crazy.
    It is kind of shocking. I've read that most think the location of the arena is the biggest reason for this. It's just a shitty location that nobody wants to schlep out to. I've also read that Senators fans kind of suck. No enthusiasm. IMHO, if a team can't sell out a game 6 during the playoffs, it is time for them to relocate. I hear Seattle is still open to the idea of an NHL team...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Jason P said:
    Ottawa citizens are probably life-long Montreal fans ... Remember the Sens franchise is only a few years older then Nashville's.
    You're not completely off.  Ottawa has so many transplants who often support their original home teams.  When we lived there we went to Vancouver and Edmonton games.  Half the crowd was kitted out in the opposition jerseys.   

PJ_Soul said:
    It is kind of shocking. I've read that most think the location of the arena is the biggest reason for this. It's just a shitty location that nobody wants to schlep out to. I've also read that Senators fans kind of suck. No enthusiasm. IMHO, if a team can't sell out a game 6 during the playoffs, it is time for them to relocate. I hear Seattle is still open to the idea of an NHL team...
    Location is a huge factor.  For us, when we lived there, It was a 45 km drive to the arena with absolutely hideous traffic.  Not quite rush-hour lower -mainland traffic or Toronto 401 traffic, but very close.  Still, pretty sad that they can't sell-out an elimination playoff game. 

I've heard it said that, "Ottawa is the place where fun goes to die."  Having said that though, I still hope Ottawa wins.  Go Sens!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Jason P said:
    You're not completely off.  Ottawa has so many transplants who often support their original home teams.  When we lived there we went to Vancouver and Edmonton games.  Half the crowd was kitted out in the opposition jerseys.   

PJ_Soul said:
    Location is a huge factor.  For us, when we lived there, It was a 45 km drive to the arena with absolutely hideous traffic.  Not quite rush-hour lower -mainland traffic or Toronto 401 traffic, but very close.  Still, pretty sad that they can't sell-out an elimination playoff game. 

I've heard it said that, "Ottawa is the place where fun goes to die."  Having said that though, I still hope Ottawa wins.  Go Sens!

The location thing is such a lame excuse.  Is any stadium really that easy to get to?  Even if it was downtown then all the people who live in the suburbs would have a rough commute to get there.  Whenever I go to any Chicago stadium/arena, I have to take the train downtown and then usually another train or a cab/uber.  

It's just funny to me because hockey fans are always bashing the Florida teams, Carolina, Arizona, etc.. for shitty attendance (rightfully so), but when people are ripping Sens fans for not selling out playoff games, the excuse train comes out.  An elimination game in the conference finals not sold out....that's just crazy.
    From my experience when I saw PJ in Ottawa, the stadium is really in the middle of nowhere, the closest place to eat or drink is like a few miles away. Other than 1 or 2 hotels I think it was like 15 miles for the next ones. But the byward market was awesome, 20 miles away...

Carolina is kinda the same, not as extreme. Stadium is 5 miles from Raleigh, kinda entering the triangle between Durham and Chapel Hill. only 1 restaurant within walking distance. If they would have put the stadium in downtown Raleigh they'd get more fans, have more economic growth downtown, etc They'd also get more college kids who would be able to walk there. 

a5pj said:
    From my experience when I saw PJ in Ottawa, the stadium is really in the middle of nowhere, the closest place to eat or drink is like a few miles away. Other than 1 or 2 hotels I think it was like 15 miles for the next ones. But the byward market was awesome, 20 miles away...

Carolina is kinda the same, not as extreme. Stadium is 5 miles from Raleigh, kinda entering the triangle between Durham and Chapel Hill. only 1 restaurant within walking distance. If they would have put the stadium in downtown Raleigh they'd get more fans, have more economic growth downtown, etc They'd also get more college kids who would be able to walk there. 
    I agree tho, not selling out an elimination game is not good. 

a5pj said:

Guessing college kids cannot afford hockey tickets?  (At least I couldn't...maybe 1x per year but normally if I went it was through some connection and free tickets.)  Not like baseball, which you can get for cheap and stand in a close section to watch the game. 

If you don't sell out playoff games (never mind elimination games) I think you should be subject to a close look by the league to see about the true addition of a city to the portfolio if there are other locations who would support their teams.
    I understand when the teams suck eggs....but when they make the playoffs they should sell out.  (Looking at you, Braves!)